ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

EasyCard

May 27, 2002
Memphis is undefeated with Iowa and is immediately behind Iowa in SOS yet the committee places 3 (7-1) teams between them in the 1st playoff poll?

If Memphis goes undefeated there is no justification from leaving them out of playoffs with wins over ole miss,Houston,Temple (twice).

Memphis is undefeated with Iowa and is immediately behind Iowa in SOS yet the committee places 3 (7-1) teams between them in the 1st playoff poll?

If Memphis goes undefeated there is no justification from leaving them out of playoffs with wins over ole miss,Houston,Temple (twice).
Sure there is Justification. It is due to the fact that we only have a stupid FOUR game playoff. Ask TCU and Baylor of 2014 how fair it is. Until the dumbasses get it to at least 8 and hopefully 16, you will get this every year.

The really amazing thing is that we came within 1 bad quarter, one injury to Michael Bush and an offsides call against Will Gay of being in and very likely winning a National Championship as a member of the new Big East in 2006.

I love your loyalties though.

Reactions: Red Rager
I'd be okay with an 8-team playoff but 16 is just too many. We'd have to shorten the season to 11 games to make that work, IMO, and I don't know if there's an interest in doing that.

I'd be okay with an 8-team playoff but 16 is just too many. We'd have to shorten the season to 11 games to make that work, IMO, and I don't know if there's an interest in doing that.
It hasn't been that long ago since we had 11 game seasons (late 90's) plus more than half of teams play in a bowl game anyway

I would have preferred the BCS system for choosing the 4 teams in the Playoff. This beauty pagent style of committee will ruin College Football in my opinion. Not in the short term but in the long term unless changes are made.

They are subjective and they are inconsistent in the methods and metrics they use. They can come up with any reason they want out of their butts to justify putting teams where they put them.

To me, there is no justifiable reason to have 1 loss Bama in the Top 4 right now ahead of so many undefeateds. Now, if they win out yes, but not right now.

The FCS does just fine with a 24 team playoff but the problem with the FBS doing that or a 16 team playoff would be that the conference championship games would have to go. Not sure how fair it would be to crown a champ in a 14 team conference when you could have 3 1 loss teams that didn't play one another.

To me an 8 team playoff at least is a no-brainer. You take the 5 power conference winners and 3 at large teams that could include any winner of the non power 5 or a 2nd place team from any of the power 5 conferences.

The 4 team playoff was a good start but why stop there when you could have an 8 team playoff. Imagine how exciting it would be to see a first round of games like:

Clemson vs Stanford
Ohio St vs TCU
Alabama vs Baylor
Michigan St vs LSU

The unfortunate part is that teams like Memphis still would not get in unless they expand to 16.

Well if you can do 8, you can do 12, with the top 4 teams getting byes. The same amount of teams are effected by length of season with 12 in the playoff, as with 8.

The issue I see immediately with these 8 and 12 team playoff scenarios is the either the likelihood of playing the same team twice or some bias reseeding. The SEC or big 10 wouldn't want a LSU-Alabama matchup in the first or 2nd round or even OSU-Mich st. If you try to avoid this then you get some subjective reasoning in the seedlings much like you had with the BCS.

You're right about the schools not liking being paired against a conference foe but they do it in every other NCAA playoff. In both men's and women's basketball, teams from the same conference are paired against each other in all regions.

Reactions: American Male
Need to go to at least 8, with P5 champs getting an auto bid. The committee can still pick from group of 5, independents, then P5 non-champs, in that order. So if you are Florida and go 12-1 and don't get in? Shut up and go win your conference! This way, you play your way in. Opinions can't keep you out.

Need to go to at least 8, with P5 champs getting an auto bid. The committee can still pick from group of 5, independents, then P5 non-champs, in that order. So if you are Florida and go 12-1 and don't get in? Shut up and go win your conference! This way, you play your way in. Opinions can't keep you out.

So you're ok if a 8-4 team that wins the conference champ game getting in the playoffs or multiple teams,with that record getting in and leaving out good 1 loss teams?

The FCS does just fine with a 24 team playoff but the problem with the FBS doing that or a 16 team playoff would be that the conference championship games would have to go. Not sure how fair it would be to crown a champ in a 14 team conference when you could have 3 1 loss teams that didn't play one another.

To me an 8 team playoff at least is a no-brainer. You take the 5 power conference winners and 3 at large teams that could include any winner of the non power 5 or a 2nd place team from any of the power 5 conferences.

The 4 team playoff was a good start but why stop there when you could have an 8 team playoff. Imagine how exciting it would be to see a first round of games like:

Clemson vs Stanford
Ohio St vs TCU
Alabama vs Baylor
Michigan St vs LSU

The unfortunate part is that teams like Memphis still would not get in unless they expand to 16.
So you're ok if a 8-4 team that wins the conference champ game getting in the playoffs or multiple teams,with that record getting in and leaving out good 1 loss teams?
It is RARE that a Power 5 Conference Champ goes 8-4. Usually they might have 2 losses max. It has happened where you have a 4 loss conference champ but not very often.

I realize this was intended for beantown but my answer is a resounding yes. The people that run college football told us that the 5 power conferences are what matter in the FBS. Let's at least hold them to that by rewarding the winners of those conferences.

The 8 team format would still allow up to 3 very good 1 loss teams to be included. That's enough. You have to draw the line somewhere, so I say, too bad if you are the 4th best one loss team in America.

If they win their division, then beat the other divisional champ, sure. In basketball, teams with losing records can make it, by earning their way in winning the conference tourney.

Any system that "places" teams in subjectively is flawed, IMO, and subject to corruption, and big $$ bias.

2005 Florida State 8-4 won ACC championship game

2008 VA Tech 9-4 won ACC championship game

2011 Clemson 10-3 won ACC championship game

2012 Georgia Tech 6-6 loses championship game by 6 points.

Yes. Because you play your way in. No committees, no opinions, you win a conference title. That's how it works in the NFL, and I think it's the one big advantage they have over CFB.

If it does evolve into a situation where you have to win your conference to get into the playoff (unless you're one of the wild card teams), I think a few things will happen as a result:

1. AD's and head coaches will have to carefully decide if they want to schedule very difficult OOC games or very easy ones. I think OOC scheduling will improve across the board. The thinking here being let's test ourselves against high-caliber OOC teams, knowing that ultimately those games don't "matter" if we can win our conference.

2. Conferences will have to take a long, hard look at their scheduling process and how they determine yearly conference schedules. These unbalanced divisions (like in the B1G East vs. West) will no longer fly when it becomes of paramount importance that you win your conference. Because there's no way to play every single team in your conference, it will be important for conferences to figure out a way to make conference schedules as fair and balanced impossible (this may include convincing the NCAA to scrap divisions or re-alligning every season based on previous season record, or something along these lines. Conferences will have to get creative.)

I think 6 would be the perfect number. I think once you get beyond that, you start to water down the product and football just isn't like basketball where you can play games consecutively to keep things moving. Give the top two teams a bye and basically play it like the NFC and AFC playoffs. 1 and 2 get byes. 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. Then the highest number seed left plays the 1 and the lowest number seed left plays the 2. I think that would make for a great playoff and probably allows for teams from numerous conferences to get a crack at it.

I think 6 would be the perfect number. I think once you get beyond that, you start to water down the product
I don't think that's the case this year. I don't think that it would be watered down this year even if you went 16 deep and definitely not 8. Not when you consider right now that Michigan and Florida St are ranked 16th and 17th in the AP poll.

Neither Clemson nor Ohio St would be a lock over any team in the top 8, 10 or maybe even the top 16.

As stated in the other playoff discussion thread, the committee has ties to tradition and bias making the committee just as bad, if not worse, than any other poll or process used to select teams.

A lot of people seem to have that opinion and, frankly, I don't see it.

Last year, in the initial release, Ole Miss and Miss State were in the top four - neither has a long, traditional record of achievement. On the other hand, Oklahoma and Michigan have a long traditional history and neither is higher that 15th this year. Memphis, who lacks a stellar history, is 13th while "traditional" doormat Baylor is 6th. Hell, Clemson is #1 and it is not as if they are building new trophy cases to house all their national championship hardware.

I don't agree with each placement the committee makes, but it seems to me they do two things very well. One is they maintain as objective of a perspective as they can; and second they are willing to change their minds as the season continues to unfold.

No matter what happens between now and December 6th, the one thing that is certain is the fans of the teams that finish 5th and 6th in the final release are going to bitch, and bitch loudly. And, a large part of their lament will be "bias". I don't see it.

A lot of people seem to have that opinion and, frankly, I don't see it.

In most instances, the majority gets it right. It's always fun to take the other side of the coin. You seem to be having fun with that, and you are enjoying yourself and I am all for everybody having a good time.

In most instances, the majority gets it right. It's always fun to take the other side of the coin. You seem to be having fun with that, and you are enjoying yourself and I am all for everybody having a good time.

I don't agree with either of your premises. At least not with respect to college football fans on this board. The majority is NOT usually right and taking the contrary opinion is NOT fun. Being criticized and/or ridiculed here as much as I am is not fun. And the "majority" opinion that the SEC and/or Alabama is somehow favored unfairly is demonstrably untrue.

Granted, if Bama and UL have the same record, Bama is going to be higher ranked. But, in b-ball, the opposite would be true. Alabama and the SEC have a past of success in football whereas UL and the ACC have a similar history in b-ball. Are you going to complain if UL gets a better seed in the tournament than Alabama if they have the same W/L record? Are you going to be surprised?

"CardLaw, post: 157772, member: 48"]I don't agree with either of your premises. At least not with respect to college football fans on this board. The majority is NOT usually right and taking the contrary opinion is NOT fun. Being criticized and/or ridiculed here as much as I am is not fun.

Many posters enjoy the back and forth, but the problem for you is that you are quite condescending during the exchanges.

You swing with the subtle indirect combat, and many posters see that, and react accordingly. It's almost as if you think the entire board is so dumb they don't even catch your subtle jabs when they engage sports talk with you.

This is no critique, it's a simple evaluation based on your work over the years.

If you took your foot off the condescending gas pedal, you probably wouldn't get criticized so much, and maybe you would have more fun. But you are a standing your line kind of guy, so I guess that means you are only having fun when you aren't having fun.

Interesting!

Reactions: Red Rager
The playoff needs to get to 8 teams. Lock it in for about 5 years and evaluate it from there. Maybe create some play-in games and go to 12 with two byes, or go 16 later. But, let's just get to 8 and allow teams to have a chance (Memphis, Houston, etc) and allow others to lose a game (other than Alabama) and still have a chance!

The playoff needs to get to 8 teams. Lock it in for about 5 years and evaluate it from there. Maybe create some play-in games and go to 12 with two byes, or go 16 later. But, let's just get to 8 and allow teams to have a chance (Memphis, Houston, etc) and allow others to lose a game (other than Alabama) and still have a chance!

Apparently someone mistook Oregon and Ohio State for Alabama last year - both suffered not just a loss, but a BAD loss at home last year and wound up in the playoffs.

A few years ago, Kirk Herbstreit made an good point about the threat a playoff makes to college football - it diminishes the importance of the regular season. I think he is right to at least some extent. Under the current format, tomorrow there are at least two "elimination" games; Alabama/LSU and Florida State/Clemson. It is part of what makes both of them huge draws for television fans. No other sport offers that. I think it is a point worth considering. Traditionally, North Carolina and Duke end their regular seasons in basketball against one another. The only thing on the line is pride. Nothing more. The loser still has the ACC tourney, the NCAA tourney, and potentially a national title to play for. If Alabama, LSU, or Florida State lose tomorrow, they have nothing left to play for. Season is over barring a miracle - and one of such magnitude, Moses would be awed.

Silly argument. A win and you're in playoff makes the regular season more important.

Not sure if you are replying to my post or another. If to mine, I think you missed the point; if to another, my apologies.

I don't agree with either of your premises. At least not with respect to college football fans on this board. The majority is NOT usually right and taking the contrary opinion is NOT fun. Being criticized and/or ridiculed here as much as I am is not fun. And the "majority" opinion that the SEC and/or Alabama is somehow favored unfairly is demonstrably untrue.

Granted, if Bama and UL have the same record, Bama is going to be higher ranked. But, in b-ball, the opposite would be true. Alabama and the SEC have a past of success in football whereas UL and the ACC have a similar history in b-ball. Are you going to complain if UL gets a better seed in the tournament than Alabama if they have the same W/L record? Are you going to be surprised?
You've been doing this for 14 years and it's not fun for you? Why?

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT