ADVERTISEMENT

Matz Stockman Redshirting Next Season?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Matz Stockman could redshirt next season, which would make him a senior in 2018-19.

Stockman, a 7'0" center from Oslo, Norway, has played in 17 games this season, averaging 1.8 points and 1.2 rebounds per game. He did score a career-high 10 points in a December 3 win at Grand Canyon. He has seen action in 44 games over his three seasons at UofL.

He also missed five games in early January after suffering a concussion in practice.

"He deserves to play at least one year where he gets 28 minutes a game and if a freshman can come in next year, or Ray Spalding can bulk up and play a little backup five, we've talked about redshirting him, if not, he'll get a lot of minutes next year because Anas and him will be sharing time," Rick Pitino said.

Stockman is on board.

"I'm definitely down, I would absolutely do a redshirt year if we talk about and we come down to that," Stockman said, adding, "I know he knows what's best for me and I'm going to go with whatever he thinks is the right thing to do.

What do you all think?

Reactions: Cue Card
"I'm definitely down, I would absolutely do a redshirt year if we talk about and we come down to that," Stockman said, adding, "I know he knows what's best for me and I'm going to go with whatever he thinks is the right thing to do.
This young man is very trusting of Pitino's judgement. Pitino has found diamonds in the rough before and turned them into NBA players. If Stockman has dreams of playing in the NBA, he will need A LOT more coaching, strength, and conditioning. An extra year at UofL where he can focus on those things and his classroom work would do him a world of good IMO.

It's a good idea - I just wonder if it's three years too late. Not saying it can't or hasn't been done, I just can't think of a kid that voluntarily redshirted and stayed with the same program this deep into his tenure, and then making an impact.

Am I forgetting someone?

Reactions: shadow force
It's a good idea - I just wonder if it's three years too late. Not saying it can't or hasn't been done, I just can't think of a kid that voluntarily redshirted and stayed with the same program this deep into his tenure, and then making an impact.

Am I forgetting someone?
The only player I can think of was due to a medical red shirt.

Milt Wagner. He came back and helped lead the Cards to the 86 championship.

Reactions: BPGhost
If UofL has the scholly room then it might be worth a shot. However, at this point, it might be better for both parties to part ways. I wish Matz nothing but the best and hope he does have a good season as a Card, but whatever Pitino decides sounds fine.

Well lets just hope that the freshman Malik Williams is a great backup/starter (from what is looks like, he is going to be awesome)

Reactions: Cue Card
Signed 4. Lose Mangok, Hick and Levitch and have 2 unused this season. Scholarships shouldn't be a problem next season. I honestly don't think we lose anyone else but we'll see.

Signed 4. Lose Mangok, Hick and Levitch and have 2 unused this season. Scholarships shouldn't be a problem next season. I honestly don't think we lose anyone else but we'll see.

You dont think Mitchell is gone?

Stockman is probably doing what he wants by staying in college two more years. I think that's his issue: he's not motivated to improve significantly in a short amount of time. In fairness, Mahmoud has the same issue but is further along athletically. And Mahmoud is needed now.

With Anas returning and the Williams kid coming in and hoping for immediate PT, it's no big risk redshirting Stockman. That 13th scholly is not of huge value. And who thinks it's "wasted" on a 7-footer who's 22 years old, and in a game where a rim protector is of increasing importance?

As long as he's happy, redshirt him...

I hate being cynical. I really do. But even if we free up a scholly, we'll probably fill it with yet another "project".

We're supposed to have our "best class ever" coming in next year, but as a rule, we don't have 5 star recruits battling for our scholly's. They seem to all go to uk, Duke, UNC, etc.. All we have is CRP telling us somebody is the "best he's ever seen". Again. Normally we come out ok.

( I really believe this alone shows that uk was, is, and will always cheat. CRP has NEVER recruited here like he did at uk. Now, CRP is smart enough to let the boosters seal the deal, and TJ won't let that go on here.)

There is another thread today with comments about what we don't have, and who can't do what we need them to do.

CRP manages to get what he needs out of what we have. He he wants Matz to stick around, Matz should stick around.

I remember quite a few posters that wanted SVT to pack his bags and he almost did. Thankfully he stayed and became a major contributor. Now, can Matz reach that level if he stays? Don't know, but I think Matz could have a higher skill level plus he's taller than SVT. Matz needs to show he has heart. That was the one thing van tresse had going for him.

...( I really believe this alone shows that uk was, is, and will always cheat. CRP has NEVER recruited here like he did at uk. Now, CRP is smart enough to let the boosters seal the deal, and TJ won't let that go on here...)
I'd have to go back to confirm which players, but there's a misconception about how well Pitino recruited while at LPT. In his 7-8 years there, he successfully recruited as many five-star kids as Pitino Lite signs in one class.

IIRC, those LPT kids were Wayne Turner, Ron Mercer, Tony Delk, and Antoine Walker. Pitino had other good players in the 90s, but they weren't the bluest of blue chippers...

And let's look at this list of LPT kids that Pitino recruited:

Allen Edwards
Nazr Mohammed
Cameron Mills
Anthony Epps
Jared Prickett
Mark Pope
Scott Padgett
Jamal Magloire
Andre Riddick
Chris Harrison
Travis Ford
Rodney Dent
Jeff Brassow
Gimel Martinez
Junior Braddy
Dale Brown
Aminu Timberlake
Sean Woods
Carlos Toomer

That's trying to omit the walk-ons and the KY kids that filled out the roster while on probation. I'm not sure how many of our current players I would have traded for these guys...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT