ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Elam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll still never forget when Elam was a senior in highschool and he got his gigantic rear end planted by a couple guys half his size playing against my very own DeSales Colts.

He was talking trash before the game and manhandling little guys but after he got planted he was as quiet as a field mouse. He's still the same guy now but even more out of shape from what I saw then to what I see now.

I'm willing to cut this kid some slack. He is afterall, just a kid.

Good point. Let's not trash talk about a kid to make a point to an assumed adult poster or fan base. No need for name calling or nasty remarks to describe your impression of his deficiencies.

Good point. Let's not trash talk about a kid to make a point to an assumed adult poster or fan base. No need for name calling or nasty remarks to describe your impression of his deficiencies.
Agreed. And this is a non news story just as the OP suggested. Time to shut this thread down. It's just dumb. I like to make fun of the UK fan base as much as anyone but this thread is non productive and a waste of space. Lock it up.

This isn't a "kid bashing" thread although he does pick up some collateral damage. If he wants to work harder, of course, there wouldn't be so much (or any) damage.

This is about the PROGRAM that brings in and "develops" 4/5-star KY kids like Elam. And we've been having that discussion for awhile...

I'm willing to cut this kid some slack. He is afterall, just a kid.

To this point he hasn't shown the self discipline to get in the shape that would benefit his team the most (and himself too). But there is time. The lights may come on for him. UK definintely needs them to.

But give me a Sheldon Rankins everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, over -- what looks like -- a primma donna type 5 star kid out of Kentucky.

He's the exact same size Terrence Cody was, thats why he was a prized recruit. Because he was already big, and also agile fpr his size.

This isn't a "kid bashing" thread although he does pick up some collateral damage. If he wants to work harder, of course, there wouldn't be so much (or any) damage.

This is about the PROGRAM that brings in and "develops" 4/5-star KY kids like Elam. And we've been having that discussion for awhile...

Zipp, the kid will be a sophomore this year. He may turn out to not amount to anything, but it's a little soon to be deciding that.

Zipp, the kid will be a sophomore this year. He may turn out to not amount to anything, but it's a little soon to be deciding that.
What's the first thing--THE VERY FIRST THING--a kid does when he comes to a program that makes him work? And tell me that Elam is an example of that.

LPT Football: We pass out the meal tickets...

What's the first thing--THE VERY FIRST THING--a kid does when he comes to a program that makes him work? And tell me that Elam is an example of that.

LPT Football: We pass out the meal tickets...

What is Elam an example of? What have you actually seen other than this one comment. Which you're only taking the part you can twist.

I'll be the first to tell you I don't know how he's practicing or what his attitude is. But if you're trying to say since he's not at 320 lbs he lacks discipline I'm going to disagree.
The UK staff, just like Bama envisions him to be in the mold of Terrence Cody. I'm not saying he will be as good of a player as Cody, but he's built identical to him.
Do you even know who Terrence Mt Cody is? Have you seen his combine pictures? Not exactly an Adonis body, in fact if you didn't know who it was you'd think it was just some overweight guy.

Why do you think a kid the size of Elam was rated so highly at his size? Because you can't teach enormous and agile.

What is Elam an example of? What have you actually seen other than this one comment. Which you're only taking the part you can twist.

I'll be the first to tell you I don't know how he's practicing or what his attitude is. But if you're trying to say since he's not at 320 lbs he lacks discipline I'm going to disagree...
That's evidently because I have a different definition of "discipline" than you and LPT football. When a kid looks like he's a family-sized pizza short of 400 lbs and tells me he's "gonna get serious when it's time", I'm telling you that kid has a discipline problem.

A problem that's fostered by his football team and football coach.

And when I see an offensive guard push a kid around who's three inches taller and nearly a hundred pounds heavier, I'm also telling you that lack of discipline affects how he plays.

Elam's gonna be another in a long line of supposed blue-chip underperformers at LPT because of what he and his predecessors can get away with. And that's the very reason the kid's at LPT.

LPT Football: The ice cream truck will be here in ten minutes...

That's evidently because I have a different definition of "discipline" than you and LPT football. When a kid looks like he's a family-sized pizza short of 400 lbs and tells me he's "gonna get serious when it's time", I'm telling you that kid has a discipline problem.

A problem that's fostered by his football team and football coach.

And when I see an offensive guard push a kid around who's three inches taller and nearly a hundred pounds heavier, I'm also telling you that lack of discipline affects how he plays.

Elam's gonna be another in a long line of supposed blue-chip underperformers at LPT because of what he and his predecessors can get away with. And that's the very reason the kid's at LPT.

LPT Football: The ice cream truck will be here in ten minutes...[/QU

The kid weighed in at 360 this year, he's 6'5 and he was rated highly because he's that big, and quick. He absolutely must get stronger than he was last year, but he will. Which is why in one of our previous discussions I stated most defensive linemen redshirt for that very reason.

But you're coming to the conclusion he lacks discipline over one part of a comment, in which he also stated his mindset has changed from when he first got on the team.

The serious statement was obviously about kidding and cutting up, and not about just turning on for games.

And you may be right, he may end up not amounting to anything, but its too soon to come to any conclusion yet.

Here's Terrence Cody at the Combine, All American at Alabama.

Terrence-Cody-combine_fs.jpg

You're obsessed with this Cody comparison. Why? Other than they're both fat football players?

I think the consensus around here is we don't need any pics of half naked guys, fat, or in shape... posted to our site. That is grounds for a lengthy ban, be happy I'm not a mod.

In all seriousness, Bill... Zipp is attacking the program not the player directly. Comparing the player to a former AA who played for the top program in the country under the tutelage of the top coach in the country is a ridiculous reach that needs to stop.

If you insist on telling us other fat guys have been great I guess I won't come down on you too tough but stop posting shirtless pictures of males around here or I will turn on you. You have my support overall but this is your one and final warning in regards to shirtless photos of males.

Derek Forrest (sports anchor): "Elam thought he’d become an overnight success. He only had seven tackles in limited action... Elam says his ‘fun loving attitude’ helps with the stress."

LPT Football Player Matt Elam: “I take a lot of things seriously, but I like to joke, I like to play. I feel like that keeps stress off of me… I like who I am, and they knew who I was when they recruited me… I’m going to keep doing it, but when it’s time to get serious, I’m going to get serious…”

From a brief sports segment on the late news on WLKY 32. As if we needed it reported.

LPT Football: Hard work optional...
I don't understand? Am I on Catspause? Why are UofL fans posting about a sophomore lineman for uk? 50 responses of UofL fans making fun of him and his weight (as if they have any way of knowing if he'll be a good player or not) and 50 responses of uk fans standing up for him.

Is this really the only type of drivel this board can produce? Sad.

Reactions: OleanderBlue
I think the consensus around here is we don't need any pics of half naked guys, fat, or in shape... posted to our site. That is grounds for a lengthy ban, be happy I'm not a mod.

In all seriousness, Bill... Zipp is attacking the program not the player directly. Comparing the player to a former AA who played for the top program in the country under the tutelage of the top coach in the country is a ridiculous reach that needs to stop.

If you insist on telling us other fat guys have been great I guess I won't come down on you too tough but stop posting shirtless pictures of males around here or I will turn on you. You have my support overall but this is your one and final warning in regards to shirtless photos of males.

Haha Ipartied, I'm pretty sure Zipp was stating the kid lacked discipline, and Stoops didn't have control of it. Which may all be completely true, but at this point 2 years of on field results, and one year for Elam is a little soon to jump to that conclusion.

I'll be the first to tell you I don't know how he's practicing or what his attitude is. But if you're trying to say since he's not at 320 lbs he lacks discipline I'm going to disagree.
The UK staff, just like Bama envisions him to be in the mold of Terrence Cody. I'm not saying he will be as good of a player as Cody, but he's built identical to him.
Do you even know who Terrence Mt Cody is? Have you seen his combine pictures? Not exactly an Adonis body, in fact if you didn't know who it was you'd think it was just some overweight guy.

Why do you think a kid the size of Elam was rated so highly at his size? Because you can't teach enormous and agile.
Bill to play football you have to have heart and drive. These are two characteristics Elam lacks at this point. JMO.

Bill to play football you have to have heart and drive. These are two characteristics Elam lacks at this point. JMO.

How in the world do you come to that opinion Watson? All kidding aside, he was a true freshman that needed to get stronger, but he had relied in high school on just being bigger than everyone. We don't know his work ethic, or how he pushes himself.

I don't know how anyone can come to any real opinion about this kid after only freshman year, but time will tell.

I'm not Bill, but Zipp IS using Elam to attack the UK football program. Elam is a poor choice to use to do so.

I agree with you on not posting any pics of shirtless males.

I'm not Bill, but Zipp IS using Elam to attack the UK football program. Elam is a poor choice to use to do so.

For the record I'm not really a fan of disparaging any player. I'd leave Elam alone with his weight issues, even my reference of fat guy comparisons was probably out of line but there wasn't intent to disparage him or Cody, I was more really attacking the comparison in general.

Ragging on the player is probably too much.

Ironically, Elam actually is a great vehicle to point out the historical problems at UK. I say this after watching him a few times and - opposite of what many here believe - seeing an incredibly strong kid with a great push. Marshalling 350 pounds of man meat can preoccupy an interior line's day. Unfortunately, that was all I saw, but nevertheless, it was a strong impression on me.

So he has at least one talent which was worthy of complimenting. UNfortunately, he could not hang after about 3 plays. They did him a huge disservice by playing him that early. Making him toe the line on conditioning for a year and change could have made him hungrier and leaner and a lot more effective this season as a freshman who did the right thing. Lionizing him as the fan base is wont to do, encouraging his entitlement sense and his privilege, is what has ruined players without personal self-discipline at UK for decades.

So you use a guy who has lost 40lbs since he's been here and who has been working extra to improve his skill level as an example of a lack of discipline/work ethic? LMAO

Most talented freshmen come in thinking they're gonna be 'the guy'. Elam admitted that but has moved on and started putting in work. The lengths that knowsZipp will go to to disparage UK is remarkable.

And Elam isn't even going to be the starter this year. We've got an All-SEC player covering that for us but Elam will provide quality depth. Nice try though

I agree that he needed to redshirt, and it would've benefitted him greatly. But I imagine that not redshirting was what UK sold him on over Bama.

So if you're UK what do you do? Tell the kid you're going to redshirt him, and probably lose him to Bama, or play him as a Freshman? To me with a kid of his potential, and without the many different choices that a team like Bama has, you do what it takes to get him onboard.

In either situation it's gonna be a year or two before he can really make an impact.

And it's not like this is the first LPT "kid" who's had this issue...

JellyRoll_zps1ba68997.jpg

At LPT, a star football recruit (esp. from KY) will see the field regardless of his condition. Do those kids show up at other schools? Sure. But they don't get to try to play in that condition. That's the difference.

It also sends a message to everyone else. "You have to work hard; you OTOH don't have to. You'll play anyway."

The first thing any recruit has to do is get his body in shape. It doesn't take long to drop weight if that is truly your goal. Building back good weight takes a lot more effort.

And when a kid says "I'll get serious..." he's telling you he's not receiving any of those messages or he's ignoring them. Just look at and listen to him. All of that's obvious without your blue blockers on.

I recall when U of L was recruiting Elam and I first saw pictures and videos of him I openly said in this space "no thanks". It was obvious what kinda player he was.

If LPT fans think I'm attacking the kid and/or the program, I don't give a damn. They're certainly right about the program. If U of L fans don't wanna see more drivel about LPT, the thread title pretty much reveals the content. And this dovetails with the discussion about LPT 4-star recruits in-state.

LPT Football: Milk shakes in 'Gatorade' bottles...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that he needed to redshirt, and it would've benefitted him greatly. But I imagine that not redshirting was what UK sold him on over Bama.

So if you're UK what do you do? Tell the kid you're going to redshirt him, and probably lose him to Bama, or play him as a Freshman? To me with a kid of his potential, and without the many different choices that a team like Bama has, you do what it takes to get him onboard.

In either situation it's gonna be a year or two before he can really make an impact.

I don't think anyone would argue promises are made to land recruits. Who knows what Stoops promised, but it looks like he promised playing time with no conditions. That is a slippery slope especially if the kid doesn't earn the time on the field. Time will tell with Elam, but he was never a 5 star or even 4 star football player. He is a project with good potential if he works at it he may work out.

Here is a really good comparison Johnny Richardson, committed to Louisville, was a 4 star defensive tackle. He was a big get for Louisville under Coach Strong. Despite the need for help on the D-Line Coach Strong staff agreed he needed to be redshirted. He wasn't ready i.e. he wasn't a 4 star college player. Coach Strong did was best for the kid and the program. That staff never talked about a kids potential, he was or wasn't ready to play. Petrino takes the same approach.

This year really is a make or break for Stoops. This year will give everyone a better indication if he can develop players and win games.

And it's not like this is the first LPT "kid" who's had this issue...

JellyRoll_zps1ba68997.jpg

At LPT, a star football recruit (esp. from KY) will see the field regardless of his condition. Do those kids show up at other schools? Sure. But they don't get to try to play in that condition. That's the difference.

It also sends a message to everyone else. "You have to work hard; you OTOH don't have to. You'll play anyway."

The first thing any recruit has to do is get his body in shape. It doesn't take long to drop weight if that is truly your goal. Building back good weight takes a lot more effort.

And when a kid says "I'll get serious..." he's telling you he's not receiving any of those messages or he's ignoring them. Just look at and listen to him. All of that's obvious without your blue blockers on.

I recall when U of L was recruiting Elam and I first saw pictures and videos of him I openly said in this space "no thanks". It was obvious what kinda player he was.

If LPT fans think I'm attacking the kid and/or the program, I don't give a damn. They're certainly right about the program. If U of L fans don't wanna see more drivel about LPT, the thread title pretty much reveals the content. And this dovetails with the discussion about LPT 4-star recruits in-state.

LPT Football: Milk shakes in 'Gatorade' bottles...

Zipp, He's going to be big, he came in at 396 and is 360 now, they want him to play at 345 - 350. You're just finding things to pick at because he chose UK and was highly rated.

Last week you were against redshirts, and this week you're for them? Barker and Towles are from KY and were highly rated yet they didn't play right away.

If UK told him they were going to redshirt him there's was a strong chance he chooses Bama, and then you'd be happy, but all UK did was let another 5 star recruit leave the state. Or they can play him as a freshman, and take a chance of only getting 2 servicable years out of him. It's a no brainer

Reactions: Joe Buck
Bama tried buying him but he said no so he could lead UK back to the top. He will do whatever he needs to do to do that. He is a big boy and all youall who want to dis him are just making him stronger every day

I don't think anyone would argue promises are made to land recruits. Who knows what Stoops promised, but it looks like he promised playing time with no conditions. That is a slippery slope especially if the kid doesn't earn the time on the field. Time will tell with Elam, but he was never a 5 star or even 4 star football player. He is a project with good potential if he works at it he may work out.

Here is a really good comparison Johnny Richardson, committed to Louisville, was a 4 star defensive tackle. He was a big get for Louisville under Coach Strong. Despite the need for help on the D-Line Coach Strong staff agreed he needed to be redshirted. He wasn't ready i.e. he wasn't a 4 star college player. Coach Strong did was best for the kid and the program. That staff never talked about a kids potential, he was or wasn't ready to play. Petrino takes the same approach.

This year really is a make or break for Stoops. This year will give everyone a better indication if he can develop players and win games.

I disagree with this being a make or break year, barring a complete meltdown of the team.

So Louisville coaches have always done whats best for the kid, and not whats best for the football team?

No body is dissing Elam.

We're all pointing out that he should have redshirted his freshman year to work on his conditioning.

Go back and watch tape on him. He was not in shape.

No body is dissing Elam.

We're all pointing out that he should have redshirted his freshman year to work on his conditioning.

And not only that, but a rabid fan base in a small town who see him daily can enlarge his own false senses of accomplishment - of which there are very few in reality. That's a cancer for a young prospect. Bottom line, all I am saying is that Stoops should have got him into camp and shamed him something awful about his weight. But he camped under a blackmail flag of his own devices. He may have lost this kid forever unless he has a work ethic under all that baby weight.

No body is dissing Elam.

I agree, he should've, but I'm also looking at the bigger picture as to why UK chose not too. If the sales pitch is the same as Alabama's there's a higher probability he chooses Alabama or somewhere else that chooses to not redshirt him. Thats not blue tinted glasses, it's just reality.

Zipp, He's going to be big, he came in at 396 and is 360 now, they want him to play at 345 - 350. You're just finding things to pick at because he chose UK and was highly rated...
Absolutely he's 360... If you amputate one of his legs. He's right where he belongs at LPT, and I'm glad to hear him say that it's not time to get serious yet. Exactly what I thought he'd say.

...Last week you were against redshirts, and this week you're for them? Barker and Towles are from KY and were highly rated yet they didn't play right away...
So, where did I say I was for or against redshirts? Or that this issue has anything to do with redshirting? More erroneous reading between the lines by LPT Bill. And your QBs didn't play right away because they weren't ready to play, not necessarily because they were too undisciplined and unfit to play. You've got a real problem connecting the dots.

...Or they can play him as a freshman, and take a chance of only getting 2 servicable years out of him. It's a no brainer
"Two serviceable years" is likely more hope than reality. One thing I do know for sure is you'll have to FEED that kid for 4-5 years.

LPT Football: Our food budget is #1 in the nation...

I am a little disappointed in Elam. I didn't expect much last year due to being so out of shape. He is definitely better this year, but still has a long way to go. Hopefully he pulls it together for his last two years.

And not only that, but a rabid fan base in a small town who see him daily can enlarge his own false senses of accomplishment - of which there are very few in reality. That's a cancer for a young prospect. Bottom line, all I am saying is that Stoops should have got him into camp and shamed him something awful about his weight. But he camped under a blackmail flag of his own devices. He may have lost this kid forever unless he has a work ethic under all that baby weight.

Elam has lost 36 lbs, he's never gonna be a 300 lb player, he's gonna be 350 or so.

You guys are reading WAY too much from a one sentence clip out of an article where Elam stated how he's been humbled, he's learning from the senior he's backing up, and the coaches.

How do you know he wasn't and isn't shamed about his weight daily? You guys seem to think he just strolled in and does what ever the heck he wants when in reality you have no idea, and neither do I.

Also, someone please point out to me the last blue-chip U of L football player allowed to take the field who looked like Elam or Lorenzen? I've been following U of L for 40 years, and I don't remember. And I'm not talking about 20 extra pounds around the middle of an O-lineman...

Absolutely he's 360... If you amputate one of his legs. He's right where he belongs at LPT, and I'm glad to hear him say that it's not time to get serious yet. Exactly what I thought he'd say.

So, where did I say I was for or against redshirts? Or that this issue has anything to do with redshirting? More erroneous reading between the lines by LPT Bill. And your QBs didn't play right away because they weren't ready to play, not necessarily because they were too undisciplined and unfit to play. You've got a real problem connecting the dots.

"Two serviceable years" is likely more hope than reality. One thing I do know for sure is you'll have to FEED that kid for 4-5 years.

LPT Football: Our food budget is #1 in the nation...

Really Zipp, you said redshirting was a thing of the past. No, UK could've used Towles his freshman year, they chose not to burn his redshirt, and burning Barkers redshirt last year when you had a 4 star redshirt sophomore QB would've been brilliant!

Zipp, you and I went back and forth on here about redshirts, you said good programs don't have to do it often, and it was all based on UK's high rated class having so many, until I showed you that UofL had almost as many as UK did last year. Now I'm sure you'll come back with a sharp retort about LPT blah blah blah, but thats what it was all about.

Why in God's name do you hate UK so much, why? I've been respectful to you and Louisville on here, and it's like you can't bring yourself to just have a discussion without somehow slamming UK. For crying out loud, you're an adult and you call UK LPT, I could see if I was being a dick. And I don't care about some obscure writer correcting his statement from 10 years ago.

Also, someone please point out to me the last blue-chip U of L football player allowed to take the field who looked like Elam or Lorenzen? I've been following U of L for 40 years, and I don't remember. And I'm not talking about 20 extra pounds around the middle of an O-lineman...

There aren't many players Elam's size who can actually move Zipp, I can tell you one National championship coach that likes players that size.

Johnny Richardson that was mentioned by a poster on here is listed as 6'3 334lb, if Elam is 6'7 as listed then 360 isn't much of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT