ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Elam

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
Derek Forrest (sports anchor): "Elam thought he’d become an overnight success. He only had seven tackles in limited action... Elam says his ‘fun loving attitude’ helps with the stress."

LPT Football Player Matt Elam: “I take a lot of things seriously, but I like to joke, I like to play. I feel like that keeps stress off of me… I like who I am, and they knew who I was when they recruited me… I’m going to keep doing it, but when it’s time to get serious, I’m going to get serious…”

From a brief sports segment on the late news on WLKY 32. As if we needed it reported.

LPT Football: Hard work optional...

"Elam thought he’d become an overnight success. He only had seven tackles in limited action... Elam says his ‘fun loving attitude’ helps with the stress."

That and copious amounts of food.

He lost around 30-40 pounds his freshman year while adding a lot of muscle. He's changed his body quite a bit if you see a side by side picture. You've taken his quote out of context anyways. He's saying he likes to joke around but when it's time to be serious he gets serious. He's not saying that he's yet to get serious.

This guy would have had 7 tackles by accident playing in the middle of the defensive line. He should have been red shirted and the reason he chose bottom dwelling uselessakay is that they promised him that would not happen to him. Whereas Alabama told him the truth and he chose bottom dwelling uselessakay. He needs to play at around 300 and he's still a long way from that. It's not too late to keep him out for a year so he can truly work on his body. But what the hell, I'm a UofL fan so I don't really care about him as a player other than I'm glad he's around 70 miles down the road from our practice fields.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

He lost around 30-40 pounds his freshman year while adding a lot of muscle. He's changed his body quite a bit if you see a side by side picture. You've taken his quote out of context anyways. He's saying he likes to joke around but when it's time to be serious he gets serious. He's not saying that he's yet to get serious.

Watch out world!! Bigger (oops!), faster and stronger

This guy would have had 7 tackles by accident playing in the middle of the defensive line. He should have been red shirted and the reason he chose bottom dwelling uselessakay is that they promised him that would not happen to him. Whereas Alabama told him the truth and he chose bottom dwelling uselessakay. He needs to play at around 300 and he's still a long way from that. It's not too late to keep him out for a year so he can truly work on his body. But what the hell, I'm a UofL fan so I don't really care about him as a player other than I'm glad he's around 70 miles down the road from our practice fields.

You can't measure the effectiveness of a nose guard by how many tackles they get. Their job is to draw 2-3 blockers on every play to free up the other defensive linemen and the linebackers. He's supposed to collapse the pocket and flush out the QB so someone else can make the play on the ball.

I have no doubt that Stoops probably promised Elam that he wouldn't redshirt him. I don't think Stoops believes that Elam would've been around to see a fifth year at UK either. Guys with Elam's size, athleticism, and flexibility are extremely rare and coveted by the league so why bench him for a year when you likely won't see more than 4 anyways?

Elam will never play at 300 lbs and that isn't even close to an ideal weight for someone his size playing his position. Elam's ideal playing weight is going to be in the 340 lbs. Mount Cody that played at Alabama is a listed 345 lbs right now and he's a couple inches shorter than Elam. Right now he's around 355-360 lbs so he still has a little ways to go. People that were being honest with themselves knew that we wouldn't see Elam as the force that he's capable of being until his junior year. He can still be very good this year but his reps will be limited until he gets down to his ideal weight.

I don't think you'll be glad he's in Lexington for very long. Especially since your offensive line is probably a couple years away from being good again

Last edited:
As of right now Elam is a useless tub of goo. But yeah we'll see the real Elam soon. Do you guys just repeat the same silly talking points every summer?

As of right now Elam is a useless tub of goo. But yeah we'll see the real Elam soon. Do you guys just repeat the same silly talking points every summer?
Yes they do. However, they now believe their training regiment is state of the art like no one else's. These bafoons will believe anything they hear or read out of Stupes.

Yes they do. However, they now believe their training regiment is state of the art like no one else's. These bafoons will believe anything they hear or read out of Stupes.

It's not a myth. UK had 9 guys that could run 20 mph when Stoops arrived. In two years the number has increased to 31 players. Bud Dupree went from an above average SEC DE/OLB to a first round draft pick and he dominated the combine posting off the chart numbers. Pro football and soccer teams wouldn't be coming from all over to learn about the program if it wasn't the real deal

With the fast pace offenses today in college football it is really tough on a guy that big. He may play half of the defensive snaps. He will need to get down to 340 or even 320 to be really effective in today's college game. Can he get there I don't know but he will need to put in a bunch of work. I think that is the real question will he put in the work?

I think everyone in the country has a great weight program. The bottom line is whoever executes on offense and defense wins. The weight program makes sure the team isn't physically outmatched which has been the case for many D1 programs.

" People that were being honest with themselves knew that we wouldn't see Elam as the force that he's capable of being until his junior year."

Don't try to change the hype that surrounded Elam's recruitment. The only people who were honest about Elam were posters on this board and Rivals (who lowered his ranking after seeing how slow and fat he was playing his senior year). UK fans were drooling over him like he drools over cheeseburgers.

Bafoons? LOL. I think you mean buffoon but thats OK.

How do you know when you are on the losing end of an argument? You resort to the old grammar and/or spelling insult. Because that was your first post, we will assume you are a troll pending further evidence.

Say what you will but elite soccer programs have world class athletes and can afford the best athletic training money can buy. Why fly halfway around the world unless what you were going for can't be found anywhere near home?

...You've taken his quote out of context anyways. He's saying he likes to joke around but when it's time to be serious he gets serious. He's not saying that he's yet to get serious.
So Boy Genius, would you like me to upload the audio off of my DVR? Unless you're accusing the reporter of quoting Mr. Softee out of context?

This isn't as much a dig at Elam as it is the LPT football program... Most of us knew that midnight pizzas and poor work ethic would keep THAT kid from ever being much of a contributor. The mere fact he was an overhyped in-state recruit coming in thinking he could pretty much do what he wanted--and openly talking about his lack of discipline on media day--is an indictment of your program. And a sure fire reason why so many of your 4-star, in-state recruits end up where Elam is.

Personally, I'm glad to see it, why I'm promoting the interview here, and hoping that more kids like Mr. Softee ink with LPT. He's the perfect front man for LPT football.

LPT Football: Well, have you seen his coach?...

MarkStoops_zpsd597409e.jpg

Last edited:
Say what you will but elite soccer programs have world class athletes and can afford the best athletic training money can buy. Why fly halfway around the world unless what you were going for can't be found anywhere near home?
So your players might live longer, but we will kick your ass on game day.

Reactions: Mayoman
So Boy Genius, would you like me to upload the audio off of my DVR? Unless you're accusing the reporter of quoting Mr. Softee out of context?

This isn't as much a dig at Elam as it is the LPT football program... Most of us knew that midnight pizzas and poor work ethic would keep THAT kid from ever being much of a contributor. The mere fact he was an overhyped in-state recruit coming in thinking he could pretty much do what he wanted--and openly talking about his lack of discipline on media day--is an indictment of your program. And a sure fire reason why so many of your 4-star, in-state recruits end up where Elam is.

Personally, I'm glad to see it, why I'm promoting the interview here, and hoping that more kids like Mr. Softee ink with LPT. He's the perfect front man for LPT football.

LPT Football: Well, have you seen his coach?...

MarkStoops_zpsd597409e.jpg

Where is Elam, Zipp? He's yet to play a snap of his true sophomore season and you've already written him off? He needed to Redshirt last year, but I imagine thats why he chose UK over Bama, he thought he could play right away and Stoops told him he wouldn't redshirt him and Saban didn't.

Elite soccer programs aren't going to UK for help ...

Maybe some soccer programs are. But they ain't elite. And it's funny as hell to defend your program saying this.

Where is Elam, Zipp? He's yet to play a snap of his true sophomore season and you've already written him off? He needed to Redshirt last year, but I imagine thats why he chose UK over Bama, he thought he could play right away and Stoops told him he wouldn't redshirt him and Saban didn't.
Saban was going to redshirt him because that was the right thing to do. Stoops told him he would play right away because Stoops needed a PR move to help him lock down future perceived KY star kids. Big difference.

It's not where he is, it's where he's headed. Right to the buffet line for the 3rd time. He couldn't handle Bama because he'd have to be riding about fifty pounds lighter.

But like I said, he sends out a message I'm perfectly OK with... If you're a KY blue chipper, you can go to LPT, play football, and be about as undisciplined as you want. Or as he said, "get serious when it's time to get serious". Great stuff! I can see Petrino hearing that comment out at practice.

LPT Football: We're stupid enough to say what we think...

:rolleyes:Well, let's see football or soccer......does a uk fan really understand the difference?

I am so confused said HillyBilly down at the Y......use my foot to kick thee baalllll! I gotta eat right to do that? Nope, I just like to joke around a lot.....FB is not a serious game, etc. etc. sic, sic, sic.
At least not at cat U.o_O

I watched Elam play last year just to see what all the "hype" was about.

He should have been redshirted. They are lucky he did not get hurt or stroke out Stoops.

I never saw a football player so out of shape. He played one down and the next snap he would fall down into his stance. As soon as the play ended, he would motion to the bench to be taken out.

Saban was going to redshirt him because that was the right thing to do. Stoops told him he would play right away because Stoops needed a PR move to help him lock down future perceived KY star kids. Big difference.

The kid was a 5 star recruit, UK is not in a position to be shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to that level of recruit.
of course it was a move to get high rated instate kids. UK isn't at Bama' level where there's another 5 star waiting in the wings if the first one doesn't like the offer.
Where's the problem here? I'm not sure I get what the issue is. UK got a high rates kid, and the kid got to play as a freshman, win win.

It's not where he is, it's where he's headed. Right to the buffet line for the 3rd time. He couldn't handle Bama because he'd have to be riding about fifty pounds lighter.

But like I said, he sends out a message I'm perfectly OK with... If you're a KY blue chipper, you can go to LPT, play football, and be about as undisciplined as you want. Or as he said, "get serious when it's time to get serious". Great stuff! I can see Petrino hearing that comment out at practice.

LPT Football: We're stupid enough to say what we think...

So the kid saying he likes to cut up and have fun, and somehow you turned that into he's undisciplined?
why didn't you mention about how he's been humbled and is learning from the upperclassmen now?

The kid isn't going to make a lot of tackles, he's there to eat up blockers, which frees up other defensive players

Having Elam in a game is like a defense only having 10 guys on the field. Most offensive lines will only use one blocker on him and film will bear this out. If he's the best nose guard then your defensive line is in very serious trouble against any SEC (Vandy excepted) opponent or UofL. But if you want to believe pigs will fly then go right ahead.

Having Elam in a game is like a defense only having 10 guys on the field. Most offensive lines will only use one blocker on him and film will bear this out. If he's the best nose guard then your defensive line is in very serious trouble against any SEC (Vandy excepted) opponent or UofL. But if you want to believe pigs will fly then go right ahead.

He isn't the best on the team at this point, he's not going to start or play most of the snaps. The film is of an unseasoned, true freshman that needs to get stronger and develop.

He has the same potential to be like Terence Cody on Alabama a few years ago, same size. Now, I'm not saying he's going to be an all american, but thats his potential. Clog the middle, force the runner outside, and take up blockers.

Why is that his "potential"? Bill is pulling this straight out if his a$$.

What are you talking about, what am I pulling out out of my a$$?? Why do you think Bama was interested? He's got the same attributes as Cody, quick and agile for a person his size, they're both 6'5" and over 350 Lb. That size and athleticism don't come around often.

What are you talking about, what am I pulling out out of my a$$?? Why do you think Bama was interested? He's got the same attributes as Cody, quick and agile for a person his size, they're both 6'5" and over 350 Lb. That size and athleticism don't come around often.

With Elam it is going to come down to his work ethic...but man is he a work in progress.

Plus one guy played for an Alabama coaching staff and the other . . . well enough said.

I'm willing to cut this kid some slack. He is afterall, just a kid.

To this point he hasn't shown the self discipline to get in the shape that would benefit his team the most (and himself too). But there is time. The lights may come on for him. UK definintely needs them to.

But give me a Sheldon Rankins everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, over -- what looks like -- a primma donna type 5 star kid out of Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT