ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall...please

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I remember before the season started from so many Cards fans was watch out for Marshall. They have owned us. I predicted a 30 point blow out and was treated like a fanboy. Well, they are now holding our schedule strength down more than any other team, including Charlotte. That's right, The 49ers just beat Marshall. The non conference schedule isn't doing us any favors especially now that Houston has tanked. But the ACC has been not much better. Wake, Virginia, BC, Syracuse, Duke and NC State remind me of Big East and C-USA teams. Ultimately it's only Clemson and FSU that we can hang our hat on in terms of a good schedule. We're 1-1.

I think this will end up being what costs the Cards a playoff bid. And how ironic will that be after all those years treading water in non power conference leagues dreaming of what will be when we get into a top conference? This season we really needed to play UNC or Virginia Tech from the coastal instead of Duke. Doesn't it seem like it's always something that keeps the Cards at bay?

Reactions: KerryRhodes
The totality of our schedule stacks up.
Our toughest 3 games:
At # 5 Clemson
Home vs. #2 Fl St.
At # 24 Houston

Our easiest 3 games:
Home vs Charlotte
At Marshall
At Boston College

The middle 6 include NC State/Duke (both beat ND) are likely bowl teams along with Cuse and Wake are likely bowl teams, and an SEC Bowl team in rivalry game, etc.

Those 3 groupings of our schedule stack up pretty well with teams we're competing with for the last playoff spot when you break down the compsarible schedules. It's considerably better than Washington, Baylor and WVU and on par with Michigan and Nebraska.

Throw in other factors: Our loss was a great one - 1 yard short in final drive in crazed road environment. Number one offense and margin of victory. Our best win was 50 pt domination of highly ranked traditional power. Plus the Heisman trophy winner. Those items alone won't get you in, but mix it in the bag with the competition for the fourth spot and our resume/body of work will be right there for selecting if a few breaks go our way, and a loss falls to each of the compsarible teams I listed above.

Reactions: fredburgcard
There's nothing sinful in respecting our opponents.At least that's what mom says.;)

The totality of our schedule stacks up.
Our toughest 3 games:
At # 5 Clemson
Home vs. #2 Fl St.
At # 24 Houston

Our easiest 3 games:
Home vs Charlotte
At Marshall
At Boston College

The middle 6 include NC State/Duke (both beat ND) are likely bowl teams along with Cuse and Wake are likely bowl teams, and an SEC Bowl team in rivalry game, etc.

Those 3 groupings of our schedule stack up pretty well with teams we're competing with for the last playoff spot when you break down the compsarible schedules. It's considerably better than Washington, Baylor and WVU and on par with Michigan and Nebraska.

Throw in other factors: Our loss was a great one - 1 yard short in final drive in crazed road environment. Number one offense and margin of victory. Our best win was 50 pt domination of highly ranked traditional power. Plus the Heisman trophy winner. Those items alone won't get you in, but mix it in the bag with the competition for the fourth spot and our resume/body of work will be right there for selecting if a few breaks go our way, and a loss falls to each of the compsarible teams I listed above.
Okay, to begin with what does it matter that teams beat Notre Dame? They are going to be lucky to win 5 games. Also, what does it mean that some of these teams will make a bowl game? UK may make a bowl game. The point I made about the schedule is other than FSU and Clemson, it's a C-USA or Big East schedule. I totally disagree with you that it's considerably better than Washington, Baylor and WVU. The Mountaineers played and beat BYU and their conference games against TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas St, and Okl State are much tougher than the Cards. Two of those teams have been ranked this year. Same with Baylor. And both play Oklahoma which is our FSU.

Washington hasn't been challenged yet as both Stanford and Oregon are down, but they still have to play a ranked Utah, a close to being ranked WSU and they still have USC. And playing at Cal and against Arizona State is tougher than BC and Virginia.

But be that as it may. It's opinion anyway. The point I was making is that we Cards fans thought being in the ACC was going to be the difference with scheduling. It still may be as the Cards will start playing tougher Coastal teams in the years ahead. But in 2016 it is just two teams and maybe a 3rd in NC State if they can beat FSU, UNC and Miami. Just look at that schedule.They're an Atlantic division team that has to play Clemson, FSU and UofL, and their Coastal opponents are Miami and UNC. Now that's a conference schedule.

There are several variables to make a playoff bid but strength of schedule is not one.

Okay, to begin with what does it matter that teams beat Notre Dame? They are going to be lucky to win 5 games. Also, what does it mean that some of these teams will make a bowl game? UK may make a bowl game. The point I made about the schedule is other than FSU and Clemson, it's a C-USA or Big East schedule. I totally disagree with you that it's considerably better than Washington, Baylor and WVU. The Mountaineers played and beat BYU and their conference games against TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas St, and Okl State are much tougher than the Cards. Two of those teams have been ranked this year. Same with Baylor. And both play Oklahoma which is our FSU.

Washington hasn't been challenged yet as both Stanford and Oregon are down, but they still have to play a ranked Utah, a close to being ranked WSU and they still have USC. And playing at Cal and against Arizona State is tougher than BC and Virginia.

But be that as it may. It's opinion anyway. The point I was making is that we Cards fans thought being in the ACC was going to be the difference with scheduling. It still may be as the Cards will start playing tougher Coastal teams in the years ahead. But in 2016 it is just two teams and maybe a 3rd in NC State if they can beat FSU, UNC and Miami. Just look at that schedule.They're an Atlantic division team that has to play Clemson, FSU and UofL, and their Coastal opponents are Miami and UNC. Now that's a conference schedule.

There are several variables to make a playoff bid but strength of schedule is not one.
Well I would disagree that any of those Big 12 teams are any better than ACC teams. And no OU is no FSU this year. Why do you think most pundits have pushed the Big 12 to the side. That's not to say that if WVU goes undefeated they won't get in. But the fact that WVU is undefeated should be all the statement that's needed on how bad the Big 12 is.

Well I would disagree that any of those Big 12 teams are any better than ACC teams. And no OU is no FSU this year. Why do you think most pundits have pushed the Big 12 to the side. That's not to say that if WVU goes undefeated they won't get in. But the fact that WVU is undefeated should be all the statement that's needed on how bad the Big 12 is.
Well, like I said, it's just opinion. I believe the Cards would be better off playing TCU, Kansas St, Oklahoma St and Texas Tech than Virginia, BC, Wake and Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT