ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Lee Withdrawing From Draft. Transferring From UK

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Junior Marcus Lee has decided to transfer after also withdrawing from the NBA draft.

Lee, who averaged 6.4 points and 6.0 rebounds along with 59 blocks, told the school that he wants to be closer to his family, Calipari said.

"Marcus Lee informed us today that he is pulling his name out of the draft but has decided he is going to transfer to a school out west to be closer to his family," Calipari said.

I'm sorry but this only reinforces the fact that calipari really only wants OAD players. UK could probably benefit with Lee returning but Lee knows he won't get the opportunity to contribute. If he was good enough to be recruited and even play for Calimari, he should be able to be a factor on the team. This is probably where the differences are. Calimari wants him to be a scrub off the bench while Lee feels he earned his due.

I'm sorry but this only reinforces the fact that calipari really only wants OAD players. UK could probably benefit with Lee returning but Lee knows he won't get the opportunity to contribute. If he was good enough to be recruited and even play for Calimari, he should be able to be a factor on the team. This is probably where the differences are. Calimari wants him to be a scrub off the bench while Lee feels he earned his due.
I can't tell if this is serious or not? If Marcus Lee earned minutes he would play. He wanted minutes promised to him and I don't think he got the response he was looking for.

Reactions: kyjeff1
You say he would get minutes if he earned them. Calipari isn't doing squat to develop him (or anyone else on the roster). Once you arrive, if you're not already good enough or able to improve yourself on your own, the writing is pretty much on the wall. This system, btw, is incompatible with having any meaningful experienced depth on the bench. Hope you don't need anyone beyond your 6th man...

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
Another player who failed to
I can't tell if this is serious or not? If Marcus Lee earned minutes he would play. He wanted minutes promised to him and I don't think he got the response he was looking for.
Lol,what a joke. Your coach promises incoming freshmen starting minutes but can't do the same for a loyal senior? I think what really happened is he finally woke up and found out the true meaning of "player's first."

Your hypocritical fan base was wanting him gone because they thought they were getting Bolden and started clamoring for his return after Bolden went elsewhere.

Now they're saying Bricoe's return was more important than getting Bolden. Don't think for a moment some of the negativity from the fan base didn't filter down to Lee.

Perfect scenario IMO. Lee transfers to UofL, Pitino develops him and he stars as a senior in the 2017-18 season. Now that would be funny - and expose the car salesman and his fat ass assistant for what they are - mediocre coaches.

Reactions: Deeva
Perfect scenario IMO. Lee transfers to UofL, Pitino develops him and he stars as a senior in the 2017-18 season. Now that would be funny - and expose the car salesman and his fat ass assistant for what they are - mediocre coaches.

Remember Marvin Stone (RIP)? Transfers from UK to UofL and helps us beat them in 2002.

Louisville IS "closer to home"...

Lol,what a joke. Your coach promises incoming freshmen starting minutes but can't do the same for a loyal senior? I think what really happened is he finally woke up and found out the true meaning of "player's first."

Your hypocritical fan base was wanting him gone because they thought they were getting Bolden and started clamoring for his return after Bolden went elsewhere.

Now they're saying Bricoe's return was more important than getting Bolden. Don't think for a moment some of the negativity from the fan base didn't filter down to Lee.
Pretty clear he never promises the minutes. Lee would have been the starting center this season BTW.

Pretty clear he never promises the minutes. Lee would have been the starting center this season BTW.

Pretty clear Coach Pitino offers the same player oriented counsel to players and their families that Coach Calipari offers, but that doesn't stop UK fans from claiming he either selfishly begs players to stay or pushes them out the door. You're going to read biased comments when you read a rival's home board and the same thing when you read your own board in regards to your rival.

I mean, Lee had 3 years to learn how to play offense. He can spike the hell out of a volleyball, but not much else. Averaged under 4 points and 4 boards for his career. Willis is a MUCH better player than Lee is right now. Throw in Jones, Adebayo and Gabriel in the frontcourt plus Humphries who will probably be better than Lee this season and it doesn't leave a lot of frontcourt minutes.

Last edited:
Pitino Lite's system is a doughnut. You're OK if you're a blue-chipper who comes in and performs. And you're good if you're a three-star kid who needs and expects to be in college for four years.

But there's a huge hole if you're a blue chipper who isn't as developed as his press clippings indicate. That kid gets disappointed and feels by sticking around, he's gonna get bypassed and lose minutes. Getting that LPT invite creates an impossibly high standard for performance that a blue chipper can only meet or fail--never exceed--esp. with a fanbase that subsists on recruiting Kool-Aid.

The biggest issue with that "hole" is it contributes to team chemistry problems fed by jealousy, feelings of inequity, and shattered dreams. Credit to Lite that he's able to manage those human emotions as well as he does; while he's "lite" on the Xs and Os, he knows how to sell snow to an Eskimo.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Reactions: Deeva
Pitino Lite's system is a doughnut. You're OK if you're a blue-chipper who comes in and performs. And you're good if you're a three-star kid who needs and expects to be in college for four years.

But there's a huge hole if you're a blue chipper who isn't as developed as his press clippings indicate. That kid gets disappointed and feels by sticking around, he's gonna get bypassed and lose minutes. Getting that LPT invite creates an impossibly high standard for performance that a blue chipper can only meet or fail--never exceed--esp. with a fanbase that subsists on recruiting Kool-Aid.

The biggest issue with that "hole" is it contributes to team chemistry problems fed by jealousy, feelings of inequity, and shattered dreams. Credit to Lite that he's able to manage those human emotions as well as he does; while he's "lite" on the Xs and Os, he knows how to sell snow to an Eskimo.

Are you suggesting that coaches should play players, regardless of how good they are, just for returning to school?

I doubt you watched a ton of Kentucky games but even in the games against you guys Marcus showed a true lack of ability to score the ball off anything but dunks. Whether that be a lob or a put back.

With that being said I hate seeing a player transfer away from our program regardless of the reason. If nothing else his experience would have been valuable to go with our younger guys.

All top programs have a # of transfers, for a variety of reasons. His defense and ability to dunk makes him a valuable piece for just about any team. If he's looking to get high volume touches he'll have to go to a lower level program. He's just not skilled enough offensively to run an offense through at a high level program. These are issues a lot of players run into at this level.

Are you suggesting that coaches should play players, regardless of how good they are, just for returning to school?...
No I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that you're recruiting a significant percentage of kids with an entitlement mentality. And many of those kids THINK the way you just described even if they don't say it.

That's the biggest difference between the U of L and LPT programs. It's really not talent per se. And credit to Pitino Lite for largely being able to manage issues that Pitino Proper wants no part of.

Reactions: ThroughBlue

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Coach Cal never promises minuets to any one. He tells all players including recruits and incoming freshmen that they have to EARN minutes. Nothing is given to them. Take that to the bank.

I believe that. I doubt he ever promised anyone 'minuets'. Besides, we all know how trustworthy Calipari's word is. Just ask Memphis fans who he told less than 24 hours before heading to Lexington how he wasn't going to go anywhere. That he loved Memphis and had no desire to leave. He's a peach.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Coach Cal never promises minuets to any one. He tells all players including recruits and incoming freshmen that they have to EARN minutes. Nothing is given to them. Take that to the bank.
What bank? Would that be the IcanonlydevelopeNBAreadyplayers branch in Lexington?

You guys crack me up.

As I stated earlier, give me an instance of an incoming freshman with no experience sitting behind an upper classman. Something was promised.

This isa lot like the Thornton situation at Duke

Exactly, 2 players transferring from big name schools because they are looking for a place more suitable for their skills. Good kids, good players...round holes...square pegs.

I believe that. I doubt he ever promised anyone 'minuets'. Besides, we all know how trustworthy Calipari's word is. Just ask Memphis fans who he told less than 24 hours before heading to Lexington how he wasn't going to go anywhere. That he loved Memphis and had no desire to leave. He's a peach.

Just for transparency, CRP did the same thing to us.

Reactions: Cue Card
Just for transparency, CRP did the same thing to us.
Transparent and true. My retort was to point out to the blue kool-aid drinker that Calipari saying what he is going to do and what he actually does is not always the same.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Transparent and true. My retort was to point out to the blue kool-aid drinker that Calipari saying what he is going to do and what he actually does is not always the same.

I cannot disagree with you here Cue, even though I'd like to

Skal did start but proved not up to the task. As for Ullis and Booker I believe the platoon system was designed to make sure they got their minutes.
It is a shame Lee didn't get enough credits to graduate so he wouldn't have to sit out. I guess we will all be able to get some read on the thread's issue, based on the minutes Willis gets next year. Did he earn more from last year's play, or will he only play if there is an injury to a mickyd.

No I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that you're recruiting a significant percentage of kids with an entitlement mentality. And many of those kids THINK the way you just described even if they don't say it.

That's the biggest difference between the U of L and LPT programs. It's really not talent per se. And credit to Pitino Lite for largely being able to manage issues that Pitino Proper wants no part of.

I have to drag good points from you but I know they're in there

As I stated earlier, give me an instance of an incoming freshman with no experience sitting behind an upper classman. Something was promised.
In many cases, there's no one to sit behind because the previous player matriculated to the next level. That's the beauty of Cal's system. He doesn't need to promise anything. The position is there for the taking, unless there's another Freshman to compete against. His "angle" isn't playing time, it's that he'll get a player to the NB faster than anyone else, and that's all most elite level high school players want to hear.

Take him!!!! Please take him! You all are more drunk than usual if you think Lee deserves significant minutes for anything he's done thus far at UK. This wont be a Wiltjer 2.0 moment for Lee. He won't go anywhere else and shine. He's just too limited. When the NBA calls you the worst player in the combine, then you should not expect to go back to college and contribute much. It was his wake up call.

Marvin Stone averaged 6 points and 4.6 rebounds per game in his best year at Kentucky ( he was injured his junior year), then 10.3 points and 7.1 rebounds in his senior year for Louisville. Marcus Lee averaged 6.3 points and 6 rebounds per game for Kentucky last year. Wonder how much improvement Pitino could get from Lee?

Reactions: cardsfan53
Marvin Stone averaged 6 points and 4.6 rebounds per game in his best year at Kentucky ( he was injured his junior year), then 10.3 points and 7.1 rebounds in his senior year for Louisville. Marcus Lee averaged 6.3 points and 6 rebounds per game for Kentucky last year. Wonder how much improvement Pitino could get from Lee?
Marvin Stone was better than Lee offensively, and that's saying A LOT.

Skal did start but proved not up to the task. As for Ullis and Booker I believe the platoon system was designed to make sure they got their minutes.
You got examples in both Ulis and Booker. You asked for starters. I'll throw in Stacy Poole and Daniel Orton off the top of my head. Poole came in with Brandon Knight and didn't play a lick - then transferred. Orton didn't play a lick, but when pro anyway!

Lee at his best < Stone at his best. If you can't just look at Lee play and see it, I don't know what to tell you.

Based on what exactly??? The stats (over 3 years at UK) don't support your assertion. AND...Lee had more blocked shots last year (59) than Stone had in 3 years. Your statements simply aren't supported by metrics. And hey...can help Lee with that awful FT percentage here as well. We teach the "granny shot" free throws; raised Onuaku's FT% from 47 to 59%. ;) This is all a moot point, however, because UofL isn't pursuing Lee.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT