ADVERTISEMENT

Mango broken foot out 6-8 weeks

Well damn that really sucks. Just the Cards luck too of course with the timing. I hope Mangok has a full and speedy recovery.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Rick Pitino announced during the postgame press conference after his team's 78-56 win over Western Kentucky that junior center Mangok Mathiang will be out 6-8 weeks with a broken metatarsal bone in his foot. Mathiang suffered the injury at the 11:37 mark of the second half.

The news is a big blow to a Louisville frontcourt which is still searching for consistency. Starting center Chinanu Onuaku has been productive, but foul prone, and forwards Jaylen Johnson and Ray Spalding have each had their moments (especially Spalding), but have also shown spurts of inconsistency.

Mathiang's absence could provide more minutes for sophomore Anas Mahmoud, who himself has missed Louisville's last two games with an ankle sprain. He is expected to be able to play in the Cardinals' Billy Minardi Classic games on Tuesday against UMKC and Wednesday against Utah Valley.

It wouldn't be the holidays if Louisville weren't dealing with an injury to a major contributor right before the Kentucky game.

I was really hoping it wasn't this bad. Get well Mathiang, we're going to miss you, especially against UK - you would have had a field day with Labissiere.

Reactions: Deeva
Seems to happen every single year especially before playing UofK. Bad luck or just snake bitten? IDK.

Hope the young man can recover 100%. He'll be missed.

Reactions: Smithereen
Good news is we get Adel back.. Spalding, Mahmoud and Johnson have been playing well lately. The four of them ( Adel, Spalding,Mahmoud and Johnson) will get more time to play and improve on the floor in real games.

I do hope he'll be well enough to come back for the bulk of conference play.

Didn't Dieng hurt himself before the UK game a year or two ago?

Last edited:
The one major advantage we had this year over Uk was the bigs and Mathiang was the most important big we have defensivley. As ususal the BB gods always screw us , just before this game like clockwork. Chalk another loss down.

Good news is we get Adel back.. Spalding, Mahmoud and Johnson have been playing well lately. The four of them ( Adel, Spalding,Mahmoud and Johnson) will get more time to play and improve on the floor in real games.
Johnson hasn't done squat Mahmoud hasn't played in awhile and all this Adel talk come on the kid is way behind in development to really make a difference in a weeks time. Mathiang is our best defensive player period!

Hate to see any player get hurt for that extended period. Hopefully he'll have a full recovery and be back at 100% to finish out the year.

If any you guys watched UK play lately, it's not the bigs that we should be concerned with. Yes, Mangok's loss is a tough break, but we still have enough big men to defend the three big men UK has. And it's not like they are offensive all stars.

If we shoot a good percentage and UK doesn't shoot 30 FT's, we should be alright. If there was any season where we would could afford to lose a big man it's this one. I would still take Johnson, Spalding, Onuaku, and Mamoud over Labissiere, Poythress and Lee.

Johnson hasn't done squat Mahmoud hasn't played in awhile and all this Adel talk come on the kid is way behind in development to really make a difference in a weeks time. Mathiang is our best defensive player period!
Wow, sorry that I offended you......It seems that I stand corrected, I yield to your all knowing knowledge of this year's basketball team. My post was just my humble opinion and your posts just all facts. "YSAH"

Wow, sorry that I offended you......It seems that I stand corrected, I yield to your all knowing knowledge of this year's basketball team. My post was just my humble opinion and your posts just all facts. "YSAH"

Baawwahhaaaaaaaaaa!! Fantastic post!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT