ADVERTISEMENT

Mack cant coach crap crowd

Two Top 5 classes so far, right? Not bad, considering all. Young team this year, wildly inconsistent. I'm not going to over-react to anything until the season is over. I will say this team does not have the killer instinct to come back from being way down or to put away an opponent that's on the ropes; this seems to be a common denominator across all 3 Mack seasons.
I think with Malik and Mineland healthy all year, you’d see that killer instinct.

Malik’s ability to stretch the floor would open up so much more space for our guards to attack. His length around the rim would help our defense and give us more chances in transition.

Reactions: shadow force
I can easily separate Rick’s coaching ability and style from his personal life and baggage. I am definitely not advocating for Rick. Way past that, but I loved our up tempo pace. The 10-12 point runs. Blocking shots and run out dunks! Quickest way to score is to beat the other team down the floor BEFORE they can get set up on D.
Yes, remember the BOOM,

I can easily separate Rick’s coaching ability and style from his personal life and baggage. I am definitely not advocating for Rick. Way past that, but I loved our up tempo pace. The 10-12 point runs. Blocking shots and run out dunks! Quickest way to score is to beat the other team down the floor BEFORE they can get set up on D.
Rick's system was fun to watch, but it was proven to work. We won at a high level, consistently. There was a proven track record. A buy-in. Rick got the guys he wanted. We could almost predict like clockwork who was going to be what type of player after 1-2 years. We knew what groups would be great once they got the experience playing together.

Reactions: Deeva
Rick's system was fun to watch, but it was proven to work. We won at a high level, consistently. There was a proven track record. A buy-in. Rick got the guys he wanted. We could almost predict like clockwork who was going to be what type of player after 1-2 years. We knew what groups would be great once they got the experience playing together.
Ricks gone and Macks still dealing with the fallout of the nuclear bomb that was detonated at U of L. because of Ricks great fun system!

Reactions: luv2hit63
Ricks gone and Macks still dealing with the fallout of the nuclear bomb that was detonated at U of L. because of Ricks great fun system!
I know, the Yum! Center and ACC left him such a miss. It’s year 3 and he has talent up and down the roster, he’s recruited fine, so it’s no longer Rick’s fault.

Besides, it wasn’t Rick’s fault when Nwora was succeeding. McMahon sure wasn’t Rick’s fault. Although injured, Malik was a pretty good holdover.

While there is no question that Mack has had to deal with negative things resulting from the pitino fallout - he’s still recruiting and signing better players than he did at Xavier. He is a good coach but thus far, he’s far from what we’ve grown accustomed to. That’s just the reality.

Reactions: Deeva and PHCARD
While there is no question that Mack has had to deal with negative things resulting from the pitino fallout - he’s still recruiting and signing better players than he did at Xavier. He is a good coach but thus far, he’s far from what we’ve grown accustomed to. That’s just the reality.
[/QUOTEverybody is acting like Ricks system while here was so up and down a million points he had teams here that could not hit the side of a barn. We had some very bad offenses under him also that's why he focused on defense first and fore most deflections etc to generate points. Theirs alot of denial revisionist history with Rick. I understand alot of you don't like Mack but he is the coach now this is his system . If fans don't like it theirs a team up the road they can go root for Card fans just are going to have to get use too change and let go of the past and embrace a new future. Alot worse than Macks system out their.

This is my last memories of Rick what a nitemare dont miss any of this mess.

2011–12Louisville0–10 (30 wins, 1 loss vacated)0–8 (10 wins vacated)7thNCAA Division I Final Four (vacated)
2012–13Louisville0–5 (35 wins vacated)0–4 (14 wins vacated)T–1stNCAA Division I Champion (vacated)
2013–14Louisville0–6 (31 wins, 1 loss vacated)0–3 (15 wins vacated)T–1stNCAA Division I Sweet 16 (vacated)
2014–15Louisville0–9 (27 wins, 1 loss vacated)0–6 (12 wins vacated)4thNCAA Division I Elite Eight (vacated)
2015–16Louisville23–812–64thIneligible^^^^

I really haven’t seen any hate Mack talk. Mack IMO is a very witty, personable and likable coach. Hell I’ve seen blue folks posting about liking him.

It’s just going to take some time to get used to the different style of basketball. The big thing is the drama that is still surrounding our program. Nothing like waiting for another hammer to fall.

@ REDFISTFURY3 - I’m not sure where you got any of that from my post. “Denial revisionist history”? I said that I was glad he was gone for multiple reasons but, none having anything to do with his X and O ability. He’s won multiple titles and been successful at every level - that is undeniable. It is also undeniable that CM is not at that level - yet. Maybe he gets there and maybe he doesn’t but those are the facts. Who doesn’t like Mack? You can like Mack and still say that his offensive system compared to Pitino’s is boring. That’s a matter of opinion and if you don’t share it, so be it. You need to take a breath before you hyperventilate.

@ REDFISTFURY3 - I’m not sure where you got any of that from my post. “Denial revisionist history”? I said that I was glad he was gone for multiple reasons but, none having anything to do with his X and O ability. He’s won multiple titles and been successful at every level - that is undeniable. It is also undeniable that CM is not at that level - yet. Maybe he gets there and maybe he doesn’t but those are the facts. Who doesn’t like Mack? You can like Mack and still say that his offensive system compared to Pitino’s is boring. That’s a matter of opinion and if you don’t share it, so be it. You need to take a breath before you hyperventilate.
Not directed at you just a general statement.. And their are posters on here that are negative about him plenty of written fodde they snipe and then hide.AS soon as a loss happens you see it .

Not directed at you just a general statement.. And their are posters on here that are negative about him plenty of written fodde they snipe and then hide.AS soon as a loss happens you see it .
Again, I like Mack - he came in at a tough time, he’s personable, I like his intensity and I think he’s here for the long haul. All of that said - his offense is boring. Perhaps some of it is due to Malik being out and Covid induced lack of practice time but, we do a shit ton of standing around. 22 points in 20 minutes? With what - 5 shot clock violations and about 8 more where we took shots with under 5 on the clock?

Not good.

Again, I like Mack - he came in at a tough time, he’s personable, I like his intensity and I think he’s here for the long haul. All of that said - his offense is boring. Perhaps some of it is due to Malik being out and Covid induced lack of practice time but, we do a shit ton of standing around. 22 points in 20 minutes? With what - 5 shot clock violations and about 8 more where we took shots with under 5 on the clock?

Not good.
I cant see for myself listening to Bob and he saying they had no paint points. Like i been saying all year without Malik it drastically alters the total offense.

Not good.
I like Mack as well but I would like to see some kind of adjustments when things aren’t going well like tonight..

Last edited:
If Rick doesn’t come here, we’d be on the level of Cincinnati, Memphis State, and Marquette.

If you say you wish Rick had never come, then you’d be fine with us being in the AAC and still playing in Freedom Hall.

Mack would’ve looked at us as a lateral move, as Xavier would’ve been similar to us at the time.

Rick solidified us as a power. If he doesn’t come, we would’ve been known for having a nice run in the 1980’s with Denny Crum. With Rick, we’re now in a league competing with UNC and Duke.

I love Mack, but goodness gracious some of you just throwing Rick out to pasture is sickening.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
Who said Mack can’t coach? I have said that I think he’s a little above average coach. I don’t think that his style will make it after the first weekend very often, I also think his style of play is boring.
Last night was like watching paint dry, very boring brand of basketball.

Reactions: luv2hit63
I will say offensively I am not real sure what Mack is trying to do. After 3 years they really don’t have an identity. That goes from building the roster to what they actually do in a game.

No great shooters, no presence inside, no break you down kind of players, and no guys that can get theirs (Jones). The only way this works is they run is offense to perfection which they clearly don’t.

I will say offensively I am not real sure what Mack is trying to do. After 3 years they really don’t have an identity. That goes from building the roster to what they actually do in a game.

No great shooters, no presence inside, no break you down kind of players, and no guys that can get theirs (Jones). The only way this works is they run is offense to perfection which they clearly don’t.
I think that year 5 is the judge of what we're gonna see as far as maxing out his ability. He's a guy that's gonna build up a team every 2-3 years, he's gonna have talent so we need to see it develop.

2022-23
Withers, Igehion, Nickelberry, & Slazenski in their 4th year
Wiznitzer, Traynor & Dre Davis in their 3rd year.
Wheeler, Pettiford, Ellis, & James in their 2nd year.
Not to mention all the other guys developing, transfering in, & 2022 recruits.

I think once he has a group of his own guys that know his system, we can really judge what the ceiling for Mack will be at UofL. Now, we do have a lot of talent and it is year 3, so I can't excuse the performance this year. But, I want to see what him having a roster of top 100-150 guys that he's had for 3-4 years.

I think that year 5 is the judge of what we're gonna see as far as maxing out his ability. He's a guy that's gonna build up a team every 2-3 years, he's gonna have talent so we need to see it develop.

2022-23
Withers, Igehion, Nickelberry, & Slazenski in their 4th year
Wiznitzer, Traynor & Dre Davis in their 3rd year.
Wheeler, Pettiford, Ellis, & James in their 2nd year.
Not to mention all the other guys developing, transfering in, & 2022 recruits.

I think once he has a group of his own guys that know his system, we can really judge what the ceiling for Mack will be at UofL. Now, we do have a lot of talent and it is year 3, so I can't excuse the performance this year. But, I want to see what him having a roster of top 100-150 guys that he's had for 3-4 years.

I agree with most of this. Unfortunately I think NCAA sanctions will be putting even more of a damper on things by year 5. Hate to be negative but I can't help but feel that punishment will wreck whatever has been built either in year 4 or 5.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
I agree with most of this. Unfortunately I think NCAA sanctions will be putting even more of a damper on things by year 5. Hate to be negative but I can't help but feel that punishment will wreck whatever has been built either in year 4 or 5.
'NCAA sanctions will be putting even more of a damper on things by year 5. Hate to be negative but I can't help but feel that punishment will wreck whatever has been built either in year 4 or 5.'

Why some of this fanbase is so freaking unrealistic not looking at the totality of the situation. I don't think some realize what these possible sanctions can cause moving forward if we get what is being stated and i think will happen a two year ban . Expect alot of transferring out which will destroy everything he is building towards . Just sit back and enjoy this year people as of this morning we are still rated by CBB power rankings as the 4th best team in the conf.

the totality of the situation. I don't think some realize what these possible sanctions can cause moving forward if we get what is being stated and i think will happen a two year ban .

I agree with this, the wannabe roster probably more likely an ain'tgonnabe roster in a few years. Factor in the climate of transfer and early entry and there is really no reason to try to look ahead beyond a year.

The situation has hurt the program already, but the NCAA wants the wheels to fall off, in the form of a few 10 win type of seasons maybe, but for sure with a lot of obstacles to overcome... Cards fans are not gonna be happy this program is going to get bent over by the NCAA.

Guys are getting serious burn this year that normally either wouldn't be here or certainly wouldn't be seeing minutes until their JR years. This team has probably won a handful of games it shouldn't have won.

A UofL running on all cylinders is a highly desirable job. A UofL running into sanction after sanction simply is not, no matter how much pride fans wanna have. The talk of other options when Mack was hired were kinda laughable unfortunately, but all fans do that. UofL was fortunate to land Mack.

That doesn't mean he's great, or will ever approach that. Nobody has a crystal ball, but a few tough, I mean REAL TOUGH seasons are on the horizon, and the program is about to get set back big time.

We are overachieving from the preseason expectations and when we lose a game everybody wants to panic. I like this team because it is very young and talented. This team will be together for 2 to 3 more years. With the recruits we have coming in next year we could be on top next year.

We are overachieving from the preseason expectations and when we lose a game everybody wants to panic. I like this team because it is very young and talented. This team will be together for 2 to 3 more years. With the recruits we have coming in next year we could be on top next year.
We are overachieving from the preseason expectations and when we lose a game everybody wants to panic.

Bam!

I don't know what Mack's ultimate fate is with our program, but right now it looks like his unenviable job is to try to guide us through a horrible era of NCAA sanctions that will probably include at least 1 post-season ban.

Whether he'll coach the team on the other side of this mess, is anyone's guess. I don't see any kind of move to replace Mack until we're past probation. To me, his abilities as an elite coach are almost a moot point right now.

Last edited:
And I know people are saying that this style isn’t the NBA style and etc and we won’t get elite recruit.

The one and done is ending. So the top recruits will all be gone and that next level will be raised by the “blue blood” and top recruiters.

Mack having a system and a style that’s just for college may be the answer in this new era. You’re seeing what sUcKs an Duke look like with having the non-elite guys, even the non-elite ones leave after 1-2 years now and if they don’t have Zion to cover it up, can’t build a team.

Mack’s style with 3-4 year guys learning how to master the system may be what works in the next era of college basketball. What it takes for system coaches is time to get one group to buy in for success and then it’s easier. It took Tony Bennett time, but I think UVA is setup to be the power of the next generation.

Well if the new generation goes to playing Bennett style BB, I’m out. I’ll find a good book and be more entertained.

Lord I miss Big East BB!

• Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Lord I miss Big East BB!

Wow, I completely agree there. I could watch almost any conference game and be entertained. Even Rutgers at the RAC was amazing! The Big East Tournament, especially the Saturday night final, was must-see TV. All the nation was watching, commentators saying winning the BET was more difficult than winning the NCAAT....it was the best thing ever, just as the weather was starting to warm. What an amazing time.

The last few years especially of the Big East were amazing. So many highly competitive teams. As many teams that were in there, only 2-3 were really bad. Everyone else was competitive and most at a high level. There is nothing like that in college basketball today. The ACC came close 3-4 years back but the league isn't as good right now as it was back then.

Wow, I completely agree there. I could watch almost any conference game and be entertained. Even Rutgers at the RAC was amazing! The Big East Tournament, especially the Saturday night final, was must-see TV. All the nation was watching, commentators saying winning the BET was more difficult than winning the NCAAT....it was the best thing ever, just as the weather was starting to warm. What an amazing time.

We actually made that trip to BE tourney and picked the wrong damn year. Pitt knocked us out the first game. The next year Cards won it. But I finally made it to MSG, baby! ✅

Reactions: nccardfan
The last few years especially of the Big East were amazing. So many highly competitive teams. As many teams that were in there, only 2-3 were really bad. Everyone else was competitive and most at a high level. There is nothing like that in college basketball today. The ACC came close 3-4 years back but the league isn't as good right now as it was back then.
And it was a basketball league too. Every game felt like both fan bases were into it and there was a lot of pride. The lower half of the ACC just seems to not care. The games don't feel as big for some reason unless we play Duke, UNC, & UVA.

Talent in the league is way down. The OADs have found they can do their thing anywhere, so they are more scattered across the country.

Players are transferring at a higher rate and/or chasing their pro dreams. Continuity a big problem throw in some COVID and limited fans if any at the games and it's just overall a going through the motions kind of thing these days. Hell there are so many TV stations showing games you can't even see every game anymore.

Some of these games are played so poorly it's just hard to watch. It's not a knock on anybody, it's just how it is.

Ken Pomeroy’s college hoops analytics

0.99 years.

That is the average playing experience on Louisville’s roster, a figure that ranks 337th(!) out of 347 active Division I teams. Only Auburn, Duke and Kentucky possess more inexperienced rosters among power conference teams. Anybody want to guess the combined records of those three teams? They’re 21-22.

Talent in the league is way down. The OADs have found they can do their thing anywhere, so they are more scattered across the country.

Players are transferring at a higher rate and/or chasing their pro dreams. Continuity a big problem throw in some COVID and limited fans if any at the games and it's just overall a going through the motions kind of thing these days. Hell there are so many TV stations showing games you can't even see every game anymore.

Some of these games are played so poorly it's just hard to watch. It's not a knock on anybody, it's just how it is.

I used to love watching other teams in our league playing games. I would get into other big games especially power teams or when 2 rated teams that were playing. I've lost the college bb passion. I'm blaming Covid, fake crowd noise, commentary/cameras up in the rafters, zero crowds or next to, and those stupid fan cut outs. But really I felt the same about college FB and the NFL this past season too.

0.99 years.

That is the average playing experience on Louisville’s roster, a figure that ranks 337th(!) out of 347 active Division I teams. Only Auburn, Duke and Kentucky possess more inexperienced rosters among power conference teams. Anybody want to guess the combined records of those three teams? They’re 21-22.

Yep that's a big issue we've been dancing around. Continuity i.e. - experience.

The landscape has really changed.

Michigan State just lost to Rutgers 37-67 after a long Covid layoff. Yes they only scored 37 points. Its a very weird season for obvious reasons and you're going to get some strange results sometimes because of it.

0.99 years.

And WHOOMP there it is.

The problem is we need to enjoy this season for what it is - a meaningful season where the Cards can compete - because next year is going to be a season-long exhibition under a tournament ban.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT