ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville WBB faces Kentucky today

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
#5 University of Louisville women's basketball welcomes in-state rival Kentucky to the KFC Yum! Center on Sunday afternoon. The game is scheduled to go at at 1 p.m. ET and broadcast on ESPN and 790-AM WKRD.

Louisville (7-1) have won seven straight games and hopes to win their fifth straight over the Wildcats,. Kentucky (6-2) is coming off a 94-85 loss to DePaul on Thursday.

A key to Louisville’s seven-game winning streak has been a =26.9 scoring margin over opponents. On the season, the Cardinals' scoring margin is =23.3, which ranks third in the ACC and 11th in the country.

The Cards will need to pay a healthy amount respect to UK All-American candidate Rhyne Howard. This season, Howard is leading the Wildcats with 19.5 points per game, while shooting 48.6 percent from the floor. Other weapons for head coach Kyra Elzy have been Dre’una Edwards and Robyn Benton. They average 18.9 and 13.3 points per game, respectively. Edwards is also pulling down a team-high 7.9 rebounds while shooting 61 percent from the floor. Jada Walker rounds out the Wildcats’ double-digit scorers with 11.8 points per game

For UofL, Kianna Smith reached the 1,000-point career mark against Belmont and now has 1,011 points in her collegiate career, between both Louisville and California. She has 411 points in her career at Louisville. Kianna leads the Cards with 11.5 points per game. She's had double digits in each of the last six games and twice has led the team in scoring. She will be recognized prior to the game vs. Kentucky for reaaching the 1,000 plateau.

If you attend today's game, please rememberr that UofL is joining forces with Kroger and the KFC Yum! Center to hold a bottled water drive benefitting Kentucky storm victims at today's game.

--sonja--

Fans can drop their donations of bottled water at the Kroger truck parked on the Pepsi Plaza in front of the KFC Yum! Center.

--sonja--

Reactions: Guardman
I swear women's hoops should be outraged by the absolute ineptitude of the refs. I can never really truly support the game when the officiating is so consistently awful.

Reactions: gocds and Deeva
It's ridiculous. How can fans take the game seriously with this level of inconsistency? It's like the officials in women's college hoops should be officiating games at the middle school level.

Beyond just the 2 bad technical calls, the officials have protected Howard. The one obvious charge was bailed out with the travel call, and the last Dixon shot that was blocked was actually a foul according to the replay. If the one technical called on Robinson was correct, it should have been assessed on Howard as well.

Ladies need to defend the back door and some of those layups have to start going in.

Reactions: gocds
Technical on Cochran for staring? Really what BS. We are playing at the YUM right?
I'm telling you folks, UofL sports is the epicenter of the Twilight Zone of college sports. Who really believes the Volleyball team is going to win the championship, going undefeated?

If it can go wrong at the wrong time, it will be the Louisville Cardinals.

Watch in the 2nd half a sUcK player will take a swing or push one of our players and nothing will be called.

If HVL and Engstler can get on track we would be doing some serious damage. Those 2 are way off and we need them to start playing like they’re capable of.

Howard is frustrated right now because of our defense we need to keep hounding her. The last thing we want is for her to get on track.

And what is it with these announcers? It's a bad shot or decision when it's a miss but a great, aggressive play when it goes in. They have been doing this the entire game.

The announcer said 12000 plus in attendance, it looks almost full to me that would be over 17,000.

We need to do something different because what we are doing is not working, I say go big

Engstler and HVL both struggled today both woke up in the 4th period. Engstler was big on the rebounding and blocked shots. HVL hit 4 straight shots at crunch time.

There was a point where I thought Walz was being out-coached staying with the 5 guard offense while UK was getting critical offensive rebounds in the 4th quarter, but it was his strategy that proved the difference with Hall, Van Lith and Robinson defending and scoring lates.

Agree WC, I have become accustomed to seeing poor officiating in women’s games, but this game was the worst and most bizarre that I can recall, even when going to the table to review the replays.

Someone needed to ask Valvano to excuse himself after the first few minutes ……..sorry, but he was a distraction.

There was a point where I thought Walz was being out-coached staying with the 5 guard offense while UK was getting critical offensive rebounds in the 4th quarter, but it was his strategy that proved the difference with Hall, Van Lith and Robinson defending and scoring lates.

Agree WC, I have become accustomed to seeing poor officiating in women’s games, but this game was the worst and most bizarre that I can recall, even when going to the table to review the replays.

Someone needed to ask Valvano to excuse himself after the first few minutes ……..sorry, but he was a distraction.
233 I totally agree. I could say more but under the circumstances I'll just let your comments speak for me. Hope you don't mind.

GO CARDS!!!

Always enjoy hearing (or in this case reading) from you GOCDS! Trust all is well with you and yours. It is great seeing WildCard posting again on this site ….. we need to get Bill out to lunch with us.

Bill send me your cell number ….. I lost your contact info.

Always enjoy hearing (or in this case reading) from you GOCDS! Trust all is well with you and yours. It is great seeing WildCard posting again on this site ….. we need to get Bill out to lunch with us.

Bill send me your cell number ….. I lost your contact info.
Totally agree.

GO CARDS!!!

2330859, if you and goods get together let me know I would love to meet up. If all goes well I am coming into town Thursday for the Louisville vs EKU game.

Will do Koz; the timing this week may be tight, but we will definitely get it done. Hoping to hear from WildCard!
233 you have my contact info I believe. Just let me know. Thanks.

GO CARDS!!!

Just let me know time and place, I am getting in town Thursday afternoon and plan on going to the Yum for the Louisville vs EKU game. Friday and Saturday free all day and night, I head back out Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT