ADVERTISEMENT

LOUISVILLE VS NOTRE DAME GAME THREAD

Offense is right there now that Lacy is back. He and Brooks and Johnson and the Browns, especially Issac, make up an awesome skill position group for Shough who I am more than pleased with his ability.

Maybe Lacy will bring some rhythm to the offense in these next games?

This season has been so weird and different. Cards have played four games but everyone else seems to have played six. The first two games were so one sided it was like the NFL pre-season.

We have played just two power conference games. It's like we're behind everyone else, especially the coaches.
No doubt,the weapons are there. We really missed the fact that Brooks and Lacy couldn't be covered today and we'll have to get these tight ends more involved when the defense is bringing everybody.

Reactions: Mayoman
Today was a frustrating loss but not a bad one. We played ND at their place in bad weather and lost by 7. The play calling has to be better, we have to cut down on turnovers and we had a lot of missed opportunities. Something that we have no control over is the refs but it needs to get better.
I don’t know if the ACC has a review of the refs but they should and there needs to be penalties for really bad calls that are obvious. I think we were the better team but I don’t think we were prepared and that is on the coaches. The season is not over and if can take care these issues we can we could get into the playoffs by being 1st or 2bd in the ACC. That is achievable if we can correct the issues.

The gambling analyst are going to come out of this game stat wise Louisville was the better team. Visually they were physically better. They caught terrible spots of bad officiating that legit cost them points. They weren’t good enough to overcome and found a way to blow it.

It happens to everyone at some point in the season. You just can’t beat talented teams when you turnover it over and blow assignments. The main concern is they aren’t playing clean at all. They continue to do that they are going to drop games.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
UofL was also the beneficiary of multiple ND turnovers deep on the ND side of the field.

Cards did some good things but also showed some bad stuff too. It's tough to gauge off a game in those conditions.

Ultimately there is a lot for UofL to overcome to win that game.

A lot of fans don't like to look at it this way, but UofL did show well given the 1st Q to dig in, stay in it, and have a chance to win in the end.

The focus now shifts to defending homefield.

Just my opinion right now.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
UofL was also the beneficiary of multiple ND turnovers deep on the ND side of the field.

Cards did some good things but also showed some bad stuff too. It's tough to gauge off a game in those conditions.

Ultimately there is a lot for UofL to overcome to win that game.

A lot of fans don't like to look at it this way, but UofL did show well given the 1st Q to dig in, stay in it, and have a chance to win in the end.

The focus now shifts to defending homefield.

Just my opinion right now.
Louisville made the necessary adjustments defensively after that 1st quarter and pretty much shut down the Irish who had less than 300 yards of offense for the game.

There were five key plays that I believe cost the Cards the game.

1. The dropped pass by Brooks into an INT. That was a fluke play that the ball bounced right into the defenders hand. Cards would have been in the red zone with that catch.

2. The bad snap on the punt that gift wrapped a TD for ND. That play nullified the Cards early TD momentum when ND fumbled the opening kickoff.

3. The double pass interference call was an absolute killer which nullified a possible 1st and goal.

4. The bone head 4th and 1 play at the end of the first half. Why Brohm doesn't use Shough's size on QB sneaks is hard to figure. Instead he goes outside with the slowest RB in Chaney. Kicking the FG was the best move.

5. The 4th and 1 delay of game at the end. I still haven't heard an explanation on how that happened. The entire series down a TD with a minute and a half to go made no sense. It was worse than a Satterfield offense.

So Louisville could have overcome the first four mistakes if on that last series Brohm would have went for the TD pass with Brooks or Lacy who both had one handed spectacular catches in this game. Wasn't it the reason everyone was so excited about Brohm and his play calling?

All of this had to happen for ND to win. This game only proves that ND had to win at all costs for whatever reason. Jeff Brohm is in just year two here so he has plenty of time, but there needs to be some accountability on his ability to head coach and call plays at the same time. He should have been in those refs faces instead he's looking at the play chart.

Reading through this entire thread and I don't see any mention of the poor O line performance.

For the most part, ND manhandled them from start to finish. Our QB was pressured alot and running for his life more often than not.

ND won this game in the tenches and by exploiting our TO's. ND QB hurt the D with runs up the gut especially iin the first quarter and a half and with his scrambling ability. And I do not remenber him being sacked more than once maybe.

Play calling was questioanable at times in key parts of the game....and slow at times getting the call in.

Learn from this disappointment and move forward and handle business in the conference games. Miami and Clemson will be very hard games to win for this Card team and UK is looking strong and much better than their fiasco game vs USCjr. That will be an interesting game again this year. Overcoming home field advantage may prove to be similiar as this ND game was. Will be much tougher to get the W vs them too sad to say..

Louisville made the necessary adjustments defensively after that 1st quarter and pretty much shut down the Irish who had less than 300 yards of offense for the game.

There were five key plays that I believe cost the Cards the game.

1. The dropped pass by Brooks into an INT. That was a fluke play that the ball bounced right into the defenders hand. Cards would have been in the red zone with that catch.

2. The bad snap on the punt that gift wrapped a TD for ND. That play nullified the Cards early TD momentum when ND fumbled the opening kickoff.

3. The double pass interference call was an absolute killer which nullified a possible 1st and goal.

4. The bone head 4th and 1 play at the end of the first half. Why Brohm doesn't use Shough's size on QB sneaks is hard to figure. Instead he goes outside with the slowest RB in Chaney. Kicking the FG was the best move.

5. The 4th and 1 delay of game at the end. I still haven't heard an explanation on how that happened. The entire series down a TD with a minute and a half to go made no sense. It was worse than a Satterfield offense.

So Louisville could have overcome the first four mistakes if on that last series Brohm would have went for the TD pass with Brooks or Lacy who both had one handed spectacular catches in this game. Wasn't it the reason everyone was so excited about Brohm and his play calling?

All of this had to happen for ND to win. This game only proves that ND had to win at all costs for whatever reason. Jeff Brohm is in just year two here so he has plenty of time, but there needs to be some accountability on his ability to head coach and call plays at the same time. He should have been in those refs faces instead he's looking at the play chart.
You are omitting the plays that ND fan says cost them that they would like to have back. Things like fumbled kickoff, giving the Cards the ball at their own 9-yard line another time, etc. Those 2 plays literally handed the Cards 14 points. You don't mention those plays, as if they aren't key plays. They were.

You are focused on the key plays you don't like that hurt us, and forgetting the other team has plays they don't like that hurt them too. Also a 56-yard FG for an inconsistent UofL kicker in bad conditions, etc, etc. If you give both teams 5 plays back or a different result off each, you're probably right back where you started. You might even be worse off.

A few facts:

ND led 52 minutes.
ND led by double-digits half the game.
UL scored 17 of 24 points on; ND fumbling opening kickoff, ND fumbling at own 7, ND turning it over at midfield.
UL scored 17 points by going a combined 36 yards & one 1st Down.
ND played the second half without their two starting DE’s, so playing 2 true freshmen.
Without top LBs, so a true freshman & a RSFreshman.
Without top 2 of 3 CBs the entire game & all top 3 for half the game, so a true freshman & backup at Safety at the 2 Cornerback spots.
Four, yes I said four, starting OL out.
And the 4th string RB getting half the carries.
And ND had “game control” for over 85% of the game.

ND’s literal 2nd string led for 52 minutes & controlled the game for 85% of the time, & won.

See. Both sides can do it.

You are omitting the plays that ND fan says cost them that they would like to have back. Things like fumbled kickoff, giving the Cards the ball at their own 9-yard line another time, etc. Those 2 plays literally handed the Cards 14 points. You don't mention those plays, as if they aren't key plays. They were.

You are focused on the key plays you don't like that hurt us, and forgetting the other team has plays they don't like that hurt them too. Also a 56-yard FG for an inconsistent UofL kicker in bad conditions, etc, etc. If you give both teams 5 plays back or a different result off each, you're probably right back where you started. You might even be worse off.
I didn't mention both teams fumbles because they equaled out. Both teams got 7 points off those turnovers so that's a push. No advantage so not pertinent to the point I was making.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT