ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs BC

CardsFirst

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2007
Ok I’m going to start this off with so far they look good with the exception of turnovers. But what is going on with HVL? Has she lost her mind? Why is she wearing blue shoes. Isn’t there a rule against our player wearing blue? Well there should be!

Reactions: rh62531 and Deeva
It is just unbelievable how bad this team is with turnovers. It's the one thing that has this team sitting at 14 and 6.

Tonight against BC they look like the men's team with just careless turnovers over and over.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Yep. TOs are killing this team. 14 in the first half. Getting out rebounded too - that’s not good. I’ll say it again - we need to feee the post. CC needs to get the ball down low and she just doesn’t make the passes. Olivia should have 10 points or more already.

Reactions: rh62531
I can’t get the game so I am keeping up with the game online. The box scores show Morgan Jones has 4 points how come she has disappeared? In order for us to be a contender we need more than just 2 players doing the scoring.

Another thing similar to the men is loose balls. It's uncanny how one sided both the men and women are with loose balls. Just in this game tonight, BC has scored 9 points after luckily getting the loose ball. Cards zero.

I can’t get the game so I am keeping up with the game online. The box scores show Morgan Jones has 4 points how come she has disappeared? In order for us to be a contender we need more than just 2 players doing the scoring.
Jones is getting a lot of minutes on the pine. She allows missing her shots effect her defense and focus so Walz has her on the bench.

She hasn't looked happy on the court for awhile now. She's feeling a lot of pressure.

Since I can’t watch our game I am flipping back and forth watching ND vs Clemson and Duke vs UNC. Both games are really close and both games are physical with a lot of no calls.

We simply are not playing basketball smart in this game. That 10 second call absolutely made no sense. Two different players had enough space to pass the ball but instead dribbled.

Before the season I was super confident this could be the team to get Walz and Louisville its first NCAA championship. I was way off on that. For whatever reason, Walz's team has lost some of that basketball IQ that his teams usually have.

Something is missing for a team with so much experience and ability. You can see Coach Walz's frustration.

I agree you can tell CJW is frustrated on the sideline I have noticed it all year. If we could just get everyone on the same page and play smart and hard we could make a good run.

HVL has been her usual self shooting the ball but she's had at least 3 careless turnovers that led directly to BC points.

Konno makes a huge difference but she just doesn't get the minutes.

ND just escaped an upset bid by Clemson and won by 3. Va Tech escapes an upset bid by Pitt and Duke and UNC are deadlocked at the half. This is a tough conference I think the best women’s basketball conference in the country. We better lace it up and be ready to play every game every minute.

The big difference player is Kasa. Steals, assists, rebounds, and free throws. She has a high BB IQ.
HVL over penetrates at times then tries to pass and turns the ball over. Or makes an I’ll advised or lazy pass

I think we have a good rotation off the bench when you have Kasa, Kono and Russell all 3 have proved they can come in and make plays at crunch time.

Both teams combined for over 40 TOs, some a result of the fast pace of the game and good defense, but so many were unforced and there is no excuse. BC is a reflection of the ACC as a whole …… very competitive, as witnessed by Clemson challenging ND for 40 minutes.

CJW is trying to develop others into the rotation, using Carr and HVL each playing 40 minutes, and Robinson playing most of her minutes in that critical 4th quarter. Konno is getting more minutes in critical situations as she continues to contribute in the half court offense.

Jones is the enigma; coming off a 25 point performance against FSU in Tallahassee, only to play 12 minutes is a puzzle.

I know there are some who are disappointed in this team, and I totally agree about the “way too many TOs”; however, aside from the horrible start of this season …… we are only a 2 point loss at VT away from being tied with Duke and ND for first place in the ACC, which most amazingly has 9 teams currently projected into the NCAA.

This is the new reality ……as the transfer portal is going to result in even more parity with conference schools that are serious about Women’s Basketball, and the ACC has as much passion for this sport as any conference.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Both teams combined for over 40 TOs, some a result of the fast pace of the game and good defense, but so many were unforced and there is no excuse. BC is a reflection of the ACC as a whole …… very competitive, as witnessed by Clemson challenging ND for 40 minutes.

CJW is trying to develop others into the rotation, using Carr and HVL each playing 40 minutes, and Robinson playing most of her minutes in that critical 4th quarter. Konno is getting more minutes in critical situations as she continues to contribute in the half court offense.

Jones is the enigma; coming off a 25 point performance against FSU in Tallahassee, only to play 12 minutes is a puzzle.

I know there are some who are disappointed in this team, and I totally agree about the “way too many TOs”; however, aside from the horrible start of this season …… we are only a 2 point loss at VT away from being tied with Duke and ND for first place in the ACC, which most amazingly has 9 teams currently projected into the NCAA.

This is the new reality ……as the transfer portal is going to result in even more parity with conference schools that are serious about Women’s Basketball, and the ACC has as much passion for this sport as any conference.
This team could be the team that puts it all together at the right time. The talents there it’s just getting it to run on all cylinders at the right time.
I’ve got to believe Jones will get it together and when she does that will be a major piece. Carr has got to learn as does Jones to distribute the ball. Drive and dish like Kasa. They do that and who knows what happens.

I don’t know that many are really disappointed. More so, frustrated. The talent is there. Execution- not so much - yet. Offensively they were standing around a lot at times. Fatigue maybe? Passing is still…not great. I mentioned CC and the need for her to get the ball to our posts- as soon as I oosted thst she made two great passes to our post players! When she does it - she does it well. Overall they seem to get zeroed in on getting the ball to certain people (HVL) instead of the open player. The other odd thing I noticed from last night…Josie played in the first half and was very good. She never sniffed the floor again. WHY? In the end, it was a win. I think this group if they clean up the TOs and silly fouls could be very dangerous moving forward. They really need the win this Sunday.

I was unable to watch our game last night so I kept up with the score online. I watched the Duke vs UNC game and the ND vs Clemson game. All 4 of those teams were making the same type of turnovers that we make. I think the team that will do the most damage in the tournament are teams that rebound well, fewer turnovers and play hard nose defense. This is where our bench comes in because it takes a lot of energy to do that.

I think our bench has really developed I am not nervous when we substitute players. Williams, Russell, Harris. Kono are good coming off the bench. Cochran and Dixon along with Williams are all players you can feel good about. HVL, Kasa and CC could play for anyone in the country. Morgan Jones has all the talent and athleticism to be a great player.

When Morgan is on her game she is unstoppable. I think most of her problem is in her head. I really like her and would like to see her put it all together.

Reactions: 2330859 and Bardman
Josie Williams is a perfect example of a player on a team with a lot of depth. Walz needed her in the first half with Cochran's foul trouble but he didn't need her in the 2nd half. Walz isn't the kind of coach who's going to play someone just to give her minutes.

So Josie not playing in the 2nd half wasn't a reflection of her play. I'm sure he told her that plus it was something she had to know when she transferred here. Cochran and Dixon and the highly recruited Harris all play her position.

Harris. Man, give me more of that! She has a smoothness about her. She develops a short-range jumper and next year she is going to be big trouble.

There is a lot of talent on this roster, and we have the depth of size inside, something that has been lacking in years past. We demonstrated our ability to rebound Thursday when we were able to negate BC’s one distinctive advantage they have enjoyed over other ACC opponents.

We saw for the first time both Carr and HVL playing 40 minutes together, something that CJW said would make everyone else on the floor better. I totally agree about Morgan Jones, as she is the key to how this team advances the rest of the regular season and beyond. Unfortunately, Jones only played 12 minutes against BC, and we missed her contribution on both ends of the floor.

Reactions: shutterbug
So, here’s the question. Many, many of us agree that Jones is vital. So why not keep her out there and let her work through some issues? That happens with some other players.

Reactions: shutterbug
Well, she averages over 20 minutes a game on a deep team. Walz has to win and he can't afford to keep her on the court in a close game when she's struggling with her confidence.

She was great at FSU but she wilts in games when her shots don't fall and Walz couldn't risk a loss at home against BC.

Interesting, in CJW post-game show following the big win over FSU, his comments on Jones 25 point performance were rather subdued given her incredible effort. Jeff is a master at handling the players, and I suspect he is doing everything possible to teach and lead Morgan to point where she understands what she needs to do in both practice and in games in order to contribute to this team. Perhaps the message that Jeff delivered to Morgan was that as close as the BC game was, we prevailed with her sitting on the bench for 28 minutes.

As others have stated, this roster has some serious talent beyond those starters, and several are stepping up when given the opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT