ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville and Virgina Tech fined $25k for Wakeyleaks

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/acc-fi...5k-for-getting-wakeyleaks-info-222921884.html
Louisville and Virginia Tech have received monetary slaps on the wrist from the ACC for being the recipients of inside information from a fired Wake Forest radio announcer.

The conference said Saturday that each school would be fined $25,000 for their roles in what’s been dubbed “WakeyLeaks.” Former Wake Forest radio analyst Tommy Elrod provided Louisville, Virginia Tech and Army with proprietary game-plan information before games in 2014 and 2016.

“I am deeply disturbed something like this would occur, and regardless of the degree of involvement, the protection of the competitive integrity of our games is fundamental to any athletic contest,” ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement. “Sportsmanship and ethical values are at the core of competitive integrity and in these instances, those were missing. The expectation, regardless of the sport, is that any athletics department staff members would immediately communicate with their supervisor if they are approached by someone from another institution with proprietary information.”

The ACC statement noted the fines are “the highest allowed by the league’s bylaws” and go into a postgraduate scholarship fund. We’re thinking the fines would be a bit more of a deterrent if they were levied against people utilizing inside information rather than the schools themselves.

If you were wondering how they rate to other college football fines, SEC schools are fined $50,000 when their fans rush the field. A fine of $250,000 is levied if an SEC school has its fans rush the field three times or more and there is no statute of limitations regarding the three incidents. So an SEC team could be fined 10 times what the ACC just fined Virginia Tech and Louisville if its fans rush the field following home wins three times in eight years.

Louisville softened its woe-is-us stance regarding WakeyLeaks on Friday and said it had suspended offensive coordinator Lonnie Galloway for the Citrus Bowl. Galloway talked with Elrod before the teams played each other on Nov. 12. Wake Forest said it discovered that Louisville had inside information the day before the game.

Virginia Tech said a former assistant coach had received info from Elrod before the Hokies played Wake Forest in 2014 but that it didn’t believe the information was shared with other assistants.

Actually it was the maximum fine the ACC could impose under their bylaws. So while it looks like a slap on the wrist, it was the most they could do.

I do hope this is over. Pay the fine, figure out the long term answer for Galloway and go win games while doing it in an honest and ethical manner.

Reactions: American Male
Actually it was the maximum fine the ACC could impose under their bylaws. So while it looks like a slap on the wrist, it was the most they could do.

I do hope this is over. Pay the fine, figure out the long term answer for Galloway and go win games while doing it in an honest and ethical manner.

The long term answer is to reinstate him after the Bowl game....

Reactions: BPGhost
hey Public_enemy, it's funny somehow in my head i naturally assumed they'd fire galloway but seeing your post makes me realize you are right and nothing of consequence will happen. i guess i'm not sure how to feel considering all of the bad press we got.

is the consensus that this is just a slap on the wrist and he'll be coaching with us in the spring?

hey Public_enemy, it's funny somehow in my head i naturally assumed they'd fire galloway but seeing your post makes me realize you are right and nothing of consequence will happen. i guess i'm not sure how to feel considering all of the bad press we got.

is the consensus that this is just a slap on the wrist and he'll be coaching with us in the spring?

Don't worry about the Bad Press...was watching Sports Reporters this morning and they compared Tom Jurich to the 70s version of Al Davis...so if Louisville is the old Oakland Raiders or the current New England Patriots might as well embrace our Villian role in College Football

Could we be forced to exit the ACC? With Hookergate and Wakeygate I'm sure they are having buyer's remorse... You'd think the Heisman would be a gold star but since Lamar took it away from the Golden Child it's not the case....

Could we be forced to exit the ACC? With Hookergate and Wakeygate I'm sure they are having buyer's remorse... You'd think the Heisman would be a gold star but since Lamar took it away from the Golden Child it's not the case....
They gonna kick out UNC for Fake Classes...Syracuse for covering up failed drug test....stop being silly

Tell us what prestigious conference/school you root for Sawyer.
Kratz, I am diehard Card fan for the last 50 years and only missed the Albuerque Final Four because my daughter's birth in 1983 along my travels to the Dream Game in Knoxville, gave my wife the upper hand in keeping me home!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT