ADVERTISEMENT

LJ is making a critical error.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
He's yet to hire representation. His mother is his advisor. He needs an agent to promote him, sell his skill set, work the phones, etc.. Not sure what he's doing.

Listening to his mother. Which is probably a big mistake. She should be helping him find the best agent, not be his agent.

They may very well know more about what they're doing than we do if he wants to be an NFL QB.

LJ's name isn't popping up every time you see a mock draft.

They may be waiting to see how he does at the combine before they go all in. If he doesn't do the combine, then who knows what's up.

Now if all he's worried about is making $2-3 mil after agents fees, then yes, he's making a mistake.

There's no doubt he'll put on a show at the combine, but he can't let his abilities speak for themselves. He needs an advocate behind the scenes.

I think agents are overrated. Maybe as far as the contract goes it is important to have someone help in terms of negotiating, but as far as the rest of the time? They are kinda just sitting on their asses doing nothing and collecting a cut of your money. So maybe just hire a lawyer when it comes to contract negotiations every few years and the rest of the time collect your paycheck.

to begin, the nfl has slotted pay scales so the price of the contract is set if he's a first rounder. an agent cannot negotiate much i do not believe. agent gets 3% of contracts usually. and i really don't think you need to sell lamar to teams as the draft is more about team's needs. if there are 32 teams and 22 have their qb's that leaves only 7-10 looking. and then it depends on where their draft position is. o linemen, or qb? most go with the oline. look at what happened to aaron rodgers. he slipped all the way down because no one needed a qb after fist couple pf picks. most likely scenario is he gets taken in second round and to hopefully a team with established qb so he can watch for two years and get more accurate.
so the reality is, a team that is willing to take lamar doesn't need an agent selling them. it's the next contract he needs help with.

Some of us may be underestimating Felicia. According to Lamar, she's got a bigger set than most of the guys he's met...

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I actually just heard Dan Patrick say he asked an nfl gm if Lamar not having an agent was a detriment and the reply was not at all, the NFL Players Union will actually represent you for free and they wished more athletes would take them up on it. So it seems anyone saying they are making a bad decision are simply uninformed as to the entire process. Lamar doesn't need an agent at all. why give away 3% to an agent when the NFLPA will do it for free. and it seems to me like Lamar does not have any problem being humble, modest, a team player, a leader, and a talent, while also being able to articulate his thoughts clearly and with eloquintty. so tell me how an agent is going to help him?

Last edited:
more proof Lamar doesn't need an agent, with one Sam Darnold has chosen not to throw at the combine and every single pundit, scout, gm and commentator i've heard has said they like to see you come out and compete, to be there in the mix of it. and that it hurts him some because of this.

Dan Patrick said the first thing he would ask Darnold is why didn't you throw at the combine. Which is funny because the reason he is not throwing is to work on his interviews. so gm's are going to grill him.

So lesson is having an agent is causing more trouble for Darnold than not having one is causing Lamar. which choice would you make?

Reactions: Card Holder
At the end of the day..... If Lamar does well at the combine (which he will), he will have agents reaching out “again” with a new pitch based on the new dynamics. He’s fine

AFAIC if I’M a GM, anyone who skips a drill is doing so because they have something to hide that will cost my team money.

And no agent will change my mind.

Reactions: glassmanJ
i think teddy skipped his combine but wasn't he injured so didn't have much of a choice?

So, this is why LJ needs an agent. NFL teams are requesting he work out as a WR at the combine. He'll work out as QB, too, but had he have representation, that agent would know how to respond to the request. That agent would respectfully decline, explain LJ's plan, sell LJ's talents as a QB. But, here we are.

I think LJ is an incredible player but he really needs an agent. Agents work the system, know GMs, and the process. I'm sure his mother is a good person to but he needs an agent to help undersell on his weaknesses/perceived weaknesses.

Agents also get and negotiate endorsement deals which can be very lucrative. I think he's making a mistake.

So much for an agent...LJ doing fine according to most at the NFL Combine...From Mike Freeman NFL Writer Bleacher Report.

mike freeman
@mikefreemanNFL

From one team personnel man who interviewed Lamar Jackson at the combine: "A truly special person. Wow'd everyone in the interview. I'd feel comfortable turning over the team to him."
10:32 AM · Mar 3, 2018

What the heck is a “Team Personnel Man” and how does one get that job? If it’s just a judgement of character I think it’d be an easy way to make 6 figures, which I’m assuming every job that would be interviewing a QB makes.

I believe he’s told them he’s a QB.

End of story.

They draft him or they don’t.

And I think he’ll go higher than anybody thinks. They’re downplaying him.

Reactions: Guardman and zipp
I think LJ is an incredible player but he really needs an agent. Agents work the system, know GMs, and the process. I'm sure his mother is a good person to but he needs an agent to help undersell on his weaknesses/perceived weaknesses.

Agents also get and negotiate endorsement deals which can be very lucrative. I think he's making a mistake.
Typically your Business Manager would negotiate endorsement deals unless your with an agency that provides a turnkey service. He can hire a business manager later for endorsement opportunities.

This morning on NFL Network Good Morning Football the analyst was really talking very well of Lamar Jackson...much different than when Teddy went through the process a couple of years ago..

When responding to the questions about his not having an agent, he acknowledged that but did say he has a lawyer to help with the contract. The rookies are slotted in to a predefined salary based on their draft position, so an agent isn't necessary. Lamar said as much. Awful lot of "experts" posting opinions here.

Reactions: PHCARD
More Lamar Jackson tidbits post Combine...

According to ESPN.com, at least one NFL team had Jackson ranked as their No. 2 quarterback in this year's draft class. The team in question remained unnamed.

This report could be the product of a couple different scenarios. Either a team like the Browns, Giants, Dolphins or Broncos — the one's most often associated with the top quarterbacks in this year's class — are ready to surprise someone next month, or a team down at the bottom of the first round ranked Jackson there because he was more likely to be available for them.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...arterback-rankings/19z0zhi43fc0q1v8l6tkmwql7e

03/03/18 - 2018 NFL Combine, Saturday: Those questioning Lamar Jackson's passing skills were quieted Saturday with the live-armed Louisville quarterback enjoying a very solid showing. On game tapes, Jackson shows the velocity and touch needed at the next level. After Jackson spent much of his time operating out of the shotgun or throwing on the move at Louisville, however, scouts were eager to see if he looked just as natural and accurate when making three-, five- and seven-step drops. While not quite as impressive as Deshaun Watson's similar showing a year ago, Jackson showed good synchronizing his feet and throwing motion, resulting in good accuracy Saturday and probably solidifying his fate as a first-round pick ... at quarterback, not receiver. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftscout.com

http://draftscout.com/members/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2018&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT