ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Jackson Wowing them at the NFL Combine....

Feb 19, 2003
From the Article....

Lamar Jackson Stands Out From Other QBs, Saquon Barkley Could Be No. 1, More From NFL Combine

Then, there was Lamar Jackson.

The Louisville quarterback is without an agent—he’s co-managed by himself and his mother, and he’ll have a lawyer look over any contract before he signs—and on Friday, there was no army of handlers fussing about like a group of pageant moms. He walked into a media session amid rumors that teams would want him to work out as a wide receiver—a ridiculous notion peddled by certain networks in order to gaslight what they know will be a debate that stretches far beyond sports—and he laughed.

NFL
NFL Draft Quarterback Class: The Holes, the Hype and How the Combine Performances Will Factor

Jackson has the kind of laugh that’s infectious. It rolls through the gut and slips out of your mouth before the joke even lands. He laughed that laugh when a reporter asked him about maybe playing in the Wildcat or a slash position. He laughed when he talked about his playing style.

“I can hit any target on the field, I play with passion, I can lead my team on the field, I feel like I’m the field general when I’m out there. I love to score. I love to put the ball in other receivers’ hands. I’m not a ball hog at all. It may look like it but I’m not.”

There will be a team this weekend—he’s already met with the Bills, Bears, Steelers, Giants and Dolphins—that falls in love with Jackson. They will resist the urge to turn Jackson’s performance Friday against him (my guess is that, as I type this, there is a bottom-of-the-barrel hot-take artist crafting a story about how Jackson’s affable demeanor shows that he doesn’t take the game seriously, accompanied by a quote from an anonymous and likely nonexistent scout). They will, for once, resist the urge to grab at the pre-packaged, pre-planned and calculated, and they could very well end up being rewarded.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/02/nfl-combine-2018-lamar-jackson-saquon-barkley-baker-mayfield

Some more...Watch Ozzie Newsome and the Baltimore Ravens...rumbling they like LJ a lot...

3. Two general managers spoke on Friday: John Schneider of the Seahawks and Ozzie Newsome of the Baltimore Ravens, and both said that they had Jackson listed as a quarterback on their boards. Schneider, while cagey about revealing any team information on Jackson, seemed to add a bit of levity to the Lamar Jackson-as-receiver talk by admitting that Jackson’s athletic skills are off the charts in addition to his quarterbacking acumen, and that maybe there is pressure on a team to maximize his abilities. That being said, both were firm—especially Newsome.

My guess Lamar is going to look really good at the combine and when scouts work him out. He has all the tools. His weakness, which is to be expected, is his accuracy in the pocket and reading defenses. No one will figure that out until he finds a home.

The one thing about Lamar that would make him my pick is his competitiveness. He hasn't figured out how to make big plays at key times, but that dude is a competitor at a extremely high level. Give him great coaching and good personnel watch out.

My guess Lamar is going to look really good at the combine and when scouts work him out. He has all the tools. His weakness, which is to be expected, is his accuracy in the pocket and reading defenses. No one will figure that out until he finds a home.

The one thing about Lamar that would make him my pick is his competitiveness. He hasn't figured out how to make big plays at key times, but that dude is a competitor at a extremely high level. Give him great coaching and good personnel watch out.

The weaknesses you mentioned can be resolved with a good QB coach and NFL style coaching (Not the time limited college coaching). He has the god given natural skills. He’s a hard worker and he listens; he’ll be fine.

I hope he ends up on a team with a strong O-line. Can’t wait to see him perform with a strong O-line. Let’s be honest two years ago he played behind a horrible O-line and last year it was mediocre at best. That was LJs limit; he was always running for his life. Don’t get me wrong he does have room for improvement. His short and mid range passing game needs improvement. That seems to be where he’s least accurate. Those things can be improved with practice. Some team is going to end up with one heck of a QB. With LJ the ceiling is almost unbelievable.

Last edited:
Of the Big 5 QB-(Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rosen & Jackson) the 4 That worked out did well...Darnold didn’t throw...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT