ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Jackson is the best player in college football...

Come on people. His mistake was he thought he could get there. It's asinine to think he didn't want to get hit. Be disappointed with your own team.

Neither one of these teams I follow other than I think Lamar Jackson is the bomb.

It sure looked like the wr tried to finesse it.

RM

We've seen enough of James Quick in almost four years to understand him.

He came in as a high 5-star recruit who achieved great things in high school. He has very good but not great speed. He can avoid defenders, but not with the ability of a Lamar Jackson. His hands are OK, and he had technique problems catching the ball (as Petrino says "words and blanks"). When he catches the ball in space, he too often comes up short of the endzone, first down marker, whatever--like last nite.

He had off-the-field issues at one time, and good for him that he's fixed that.

Quick gets PT, in my opinion, largely because the guys behind him are too inexperienced or not good enough yet to unseat him. But what we saw tonite on that last play was not unexpected. He is who he is, and that will likely be as much as he ever is. His lofty accomplishments at one time were probably a result of his ability relative to who he was playing against. But that's not helping him much at this point...

He thought he could get the sticks and he didn't. There were other plays executed far worse than that one.
As I said elsewhere--when a game comes down to one yard, everything matters (or mattered).

But I can't fault anyone critical of Quick on an effort or intensity issue. That's been his MO since he suited up here. A guy doesn't consistently come up short on plays by chance...

He thought his best avenue to the first down was to go to the sidelines and outrun the opponent. The opponent had a better angle. He misjudged the situation - it had absolutely nothing to do with effort. He screwed up, but not from some kind of lazy effort. Come on why are you feeding the OP?

Reactions: GoldCard
He thought he could get the sticks and he didn't. There were other plays executed far worse than that one.
Thank you! Zipp's personal resentment of Quick is getting annoying. I guess if later this year, say against Houston, he wins a game with a play, zipp may have a stroke. There were much worse plays or decisions than that last one. The false start that made the 1st down five more yards for example.

Reactions: Niterider55
He thought his best avenue to the first down was to go to the sidelines and outrun the opponent. The opponent had a better angle. He misjudged the situation - it had absolutely nothing to do with effort. He screwed up, but not from some kind of lazy effort. Come on why are you feeding the OP?
Because zipp has to be the nuanced Cards fan and not like the rest of us.

I hear you. I have no dog in this fight. I watched a good portion of the game from a distance (restaurant). I wanted Louisville since I love Jackson.

It looked like Clemson outplayed Louisville early an then I missed the comeback and saw the last few plays. It bothered me because the wr seemed to lack the effort or the 'tude' to get that first down.

You ask why I care and I'll tell you exactly what I told my friend an hour or so ago. It's because I saw this during the Hoke era with Devin Funchess who was soft whereas with Harbaugh he won't tolerate that at all.

I wouldn't be too happy if I was his teammate. Looked like he was auditioning for a part in the Red Badge of Courage. (Google)

RM

I hear you. I have no dog in this fight. I watched a good portion of the game from a distance (restaurant). I wanted Louisville since I love Jackson.

It looked like Clemson outplayed Louisville early an then I missed the comeback and saw the last few plays. It bothered me because the wr seemed to lack the effort or the 'tude' to get that first down.

You ask why I care and I'll tell you exactly what I told my friend an hour or so ago. It's because I saw this during the Hoke era with Devin Funchess who was soft whereas with Harbaugh he won't tolerate that at all.

I wouldn't be too happy if I was his teammate. Looked like he was auditioning for a part in the Red Badge of Courage. (Google)

RM
He looked surprised when the Clemson players started celebrating. I think he really thought he got there but unfortunately he is our Bill Buckner.

Reactions: American Male
I'm not "feeding" anyone; I just don't believe in chance or bad luck.

If this was the first time Quick found himself in a situation of coming up short, I wouldn't support that line of reasoning. But we've seen enough examples of James "misjudging" a situation to know otherwise.

Funny how similar the play he was caught from behind at Clemson two years ago was to the kick return by Samuel against the Tigers last year. Both were to the same side of the field. Quick was caught well off of the sideline; Samuel barely made it into the endzone right on the sideline. I think it was the same safety running at both guys.

Football's often a game of inches. And Quick fails to "judge" that correctly, nor does he appear to be learning (the bigger problem)...

There is a big difference between accusing him of lack of effort and accusing him of making a mistake.

If he wasn't a competitor he wouldn't be playing the game.

His salary is....

Riiiiiiight.

There is a big difference between accusing him of lack of effort and accusing him of making a mistake.

If he wasn't a competitor he wouldn't be playing the game.

His salary is....

Riiiiiiight.
Quick is a senior, and he's about to enter the cold, cruel world of play-for-pay. I'm sensitive to your amateur ("salary") issue, but he's about to lose that protection.

Quick is also the guy who routinely dropped passes. Thankfully, he's corrected that problem for the most part. But none of his issues scream a guy who's trying too hard. Lost concentration, dropped passes, misjudged distances--if someone wants to draw conclusions that don't speak highly of Quick, I certainly don't blame them...

Maybe he dropped passes because he's not a great player. Maybe he didn't make the first down because he's not a great player. Maybe he didn't score the TD @ Clemson two years ago because he's not a great player.

As a fan, I just do not feel entitled to greatness from the players.

I am not into the cannibal lifestyle so I'm going to refrain from criticizing a guy who came up a yard short tonight.

He is still an amateur tonight.

Traveon Samuel made the endzone last year in a similar situation. I don't really know of any of our guys that have the coming-up-short issues that Quick has had.

You know me well enough that I don't believe in coincidences. I don't like criticizing players, and I didn't do that. But that's just my position, and I respect if someone else wants to draw the conclusion that Quick was responsible. I don't think that conclusion is unfounded...

Last edited:
I am not trolling. I was rooting for Louisville. Trust me. I know nothing about your wr.

I can only 'judge' what I see. Devin Funchess is in the NFL but I am not a fan. I saw his lack of effort at UM and it has soured me.

Maybe the kid did try but from my eyes he wanted to avoid contact. Sorry.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
...I can only 'judge' what I see. Devin Funchess is in the NFL but I am not a fan. I saw his lack of effort at UM and it has soured me...
You won't find a lack of effort or intensity with most of the U of L guys. To the contrary.

Quick IMO is an unusual situation of a guy who probably didn't have to work that hard to excel when he was younger. And now, he can't develop the intensity and focus he needs to complete really big plays. It's not effort per se. Petrino says that no one busts it more in practice, and Petrino's not gonna protect anybody...

I love Lamar's game. He will only get better! He's invaluable to the program, I can only hope he wins the Heisman! His play coupled with Bobby's reputation should bring us a pipeline of excellent QB's.

I guess if later this year, say against Houston, he wins a game with a play,.......

Rollem will say, it's about time.

Funny, but I remember the game where he scored, with no one in sight, and do a dive into the end zone, getting us a 15 yd penalty.

But in a crowd, it's a different story.

SSDD

Reactions: earsky
It's football. You lower your shoulder and drive for critical yards. We had a TO left and a first down stops the clock briefly. It was not a strong, determined effort. Not smart football play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT