ADVERTISEMENT

L s down doesnt bother me

Does the defense giving up a quarter mile of rushing bother you?

it bothers me, but think about it.... our Strong Safety has a season ending injury in the 11th game of the year, just before we play a rush-dominant offense. His replacement (Trennell Troutman) is also out. The third stringer was a grad transfer (former cornerback) from Arizona, and he was out of position multiple times in that second half.

Reactions: CGblue
Injuries are part of the game Push.

Next man up.

Players were out of position all game
When they were in position they couldnt wrap up.

Very poor effort and technique.
That defense was reminiscent of last years team.

it bothers me, but think about it.... our Strong Safety has a season ending injury in the 11th game of the year, just before we play a rush-dominant offense. His replacement (Trennell Troutman) is also out. The third stringer was a grad transfer (former cornerback) from Arizona, and he was out of position multiple times in that second half.

I hear ya....but UK was using a no-string WR at QB. Yeah, he was running a wildcat like offense, but the disparity in talent is obvious. No one player for Louisville was going to make a difference in a game where Louisville gave up 500+ yards rushing. We knew this entering the season; it just hurts to see it.

Reactions: robertw1975
Yeah honestly the problem is up front and everybody knows it. It was discussed prior to the game, and throughout the season... the team has given up a ton of yards all year.

The sign of a good defense is one that makes plays in the opponents backfield, blowing plays up at the line of scrimmage.

The Cards have not had impact players that do that in a few years up front. I came into the game "hoping" a guy or two would play over their head, blast into the UK backfield and blow up a few plays. I wasn't counting on it, or predicting it, it's just all you can hope for.

Maybe in the upcoming years a few guys will emerge or join the team that have that ability.

I hear ya....but UK was using a no-string WR at QB. Yeah, he was running a wildcat like offense, but the disparity in talent is obvious. No one player for Louisville was going to make a difference in a game where Louisville gave up 500+ yards rushing. We knew this entering the season; it just hurts to see it.

I’ve been saying that all year. We have Robinson and Goldwire as legit defensive linemen and Clark at 270 pounds growing into a legit 3-4 defensive lineman ... and 16 other linebackers playing in our front seven. Of course a team from a P5 conference with a good coach who has been there for 7 years will have an offensive line that can push us around.

We watched every ACC team we played do it, so why wouldn’t a team that’s even better at running the football than any other team in the ACC, including Boston College, also be able to push us around?

Our only hope yesterday was to be able to match them score for score, and then hope they would make a mistake in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately, the game was played in a freezing monsoon which made passing difficult, and equally unfortunately Micale Cunningham was ill. At one point, our only incompletions were dropped passes caused by a wet football.

It doesn’t bother me either, it just cracks me up when I see whole families running toward our players doing it. It’s like it’s the most excitement those people get. They do Ls Down when they are playing Tennessee. It gives them some sort of comfort in their otherwise pathetic, inbred, trailer park livin’, wearin blue 24/7, makin’ out with a cousin at a funeral lives. Let them do it and let us laugh at them for doing it.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Seems pretty 3rd grade to me, but what do I know? Maybe that L's down symbol gives those old farts something to feel good about in their otherwise empty lives.

Reactions: Louisvillian
L's down doesn't bother me in the rivalry game. Hell it's a rivalry, political correctness is out the window in a rivalry game. I want to beat them as bad as they want to beat us. If they had something we could make fun of we would do the same thing.

Rivalries are not for snowflakes..

Yeah honestly the problem is up front and everybody knows it. It was discussed prior to the game, and throughout the season... the team has given up a ton of yards all year.

The sign of a good defense is one that makes plays in the opponents backfield, blowing plays up at the line of scrimmage.

The Cards have not had impact players that do that in a few years up front. I came into the game "hoping" a guy or two would play over their head, blast into the UK backfield and blow up a few plays. I wasn't counting on it, or predicting it, it's just all you can hope for.

Maybe in the upcoming years a few guys will emerge or join the team that have that ability.
Offense line wasn't particularly outstanding and it had 2 5th seniors and a potential top pro prospect

If Satterfield really did whine about this then I am embarrassed. The most millennial thing ever. Sometimes you just get your ass beat, it happens. Cut the holly gee shucks crap, get pissed, and go beat them next year. I bet they cut the Ls down stuff if they get beat instead of smacking our DL around like one of Katinas whores.

Sometimes a man stands up to another so called man and calls him out. I don't call that weakness. I call that being a strong man or a strong woman. I'm sure CSS saw some things on the field than the fans in the stands or fans on TV didn't see.

If Satterfield really did whine about this then I am embarrassed. The most millennial thing ever. Sometimes you just get your ass beat, it happens. Cut the holly gee shucks crap, get pissed, and go beat them next year. I bet they cut the Ls down stuff if they get beat instead of smacking our DL around like one of Katinas whores.

I’m not a millennial and played football back when the term snowflake meant freezing precipitation. The L’s down crap is poor sportsmanship. The game and ones actions during the game should not be continually disrespectful to your opponent. Clearly they slapped us around and that should have been enough “talking”.

My Dad was a bit old school. I learned quite a bit from him. If he were still here, he'd be calling the Cats a bunch of bums.
It's about sportsmanship. Ask the Coach.

Think about this. We were the 103rd rated defense before our safety got hurt. You seriously think 1 guy was going to stop their running game? Enough with excuses.

Satterfield has never played in or coached a rivalry game and it showed.

Reminiscent of Tubbys first UK/UofL game. He told his players to treat it like any other game and not make a big deal of it. Then the Cards [who would have a losing season] waltz right into Rupp and beat the #2 ranked Cats. He cared about it after that.

Thats why its called a rivlary [actually Arch-rivals in this case]

Think about this. We were the 103rd rated defense before our safety got hurt. You seriously think 1 guy was going to stop their running game? Enough with excuses.

I think that one guy being out of position at strong safety turns 4 10 yard gains into 4 second half TD’s for a total of 202 yards.

But as I’ve also said repeatedly, this year we were playing with 2 legitimate P5 DL and 17 linebackers in our front 7. Against good offensive lines, our undersized DL got exposed. And yes, some of that is due to poor recruiting by Coach Petrino, but he’s been gone now for more than a year.

The decision to downsize the DL is 100% on Satterfield and Brown. Greenard was gone no matter what, but the other DL players that are no longer here are gone because Coach Brown didn’t want them here. We’re going to need to be significantly better in the defensive front in 2020 to win 5 games again in the ACC, to win at Notre Dame, and to win the Governor’s Cup back.

I think that one guy being out of position at strong safety turns 4 10 yard gains into 4 second half TD’s for a total of 202 yards.

But as I’ve also said repeatedly, this year we were playing with 2 legitimate P5 DL and 17 linebackers in our front 7. Against good offensive lines, our undersized DL got exposed. And yes, some of that is due to poor recruiting by Coach Petrino, but he’s been gone now for more than a year.

The decision to downsize the DL is 100% on Satterfield and Brown. Greenard was gone no matter what, but the other DL players that are no longer here are gone because Coach Brown didn’t want them here. We’re going to need to be significantly better in the defensive front in 2020 to win 5 games again in the ACC, to win at Notre Dame, and to win the Governor’s Cup back.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but I don’t think people realize that is Brown’s scheme to have 235-275 lb DL so they can be fast to the ball. Won’t work in P5 conference.

I think we should think about this although it now seems like an impossibility. What if we had won and kept throwing the L’s up on their home field? Would anybody consider that to be classless? Yeah, the kitties. It’s big boy football. Grow some intestinal fortitude. Comes from coaching.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
The L's down saga has taken a life of its own. It's quite silly, actually, considering the L's Up gesture isn't exactly used by fans during games. That being said, how is L's down not taunting? Ole Miss player makes a gesture with his leg, 15 yards. Sooners used upside down hook 'em Horns gesture so often, officials banned them from doing it. Why? Because it was taunting. Someone enlighten me.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but I don’t think people realize that is Brown’s scheme to have 235-275 lb DL so they can be fast to the ball. Won’t work in P5 conference.

It certainly did not work this year, and like you, I remain unconvinced that it can work in a P5 conference. I’m at least willing to keep an open mind, but if we do not see significant improvement (into the top half of the defensive rankings) next year, I will be ready to agree with you that it cannot work in a P5 conference, and that we need to go a different direction on defense.

Reactions: nccardfan
It certainly did not work this year, and like you, I remain unconvinced that it can work in a P5 conference. I’m at least willing to keep an open mind, but if we do not see significant improvement (into the top half of the defensive rankings) next year, I will be ready to agree with you that it cannot work in a P5 conference, and that we need to go a different direction on defense.
Why do you think next year will be far better? Unless they sign some serious players from the transfer portal the roster isnt going to be upgraded that much.

Why do you think next year will be far better? Unless they sign some serious players from the transfer portal the roster isnt going to be upgraded that much.

Because they got nowhere to go but up. Satt will have more of "his guys" in the system, current players will be more familiar with the system. Taking talent out of the equation, the defensive scheme was often riddled with holes. Things will hopefully be tightened up in 2020.

I dont know if we will be FAR better, but we will be better. Just having a year of experience in a new system under their belts will help

Because they got nowhere to go but up. Satt will have more of "his guys" in the system, current players will be more familiar with the system. Taking talent out of the equation, the defensive scheme was often riddled with holes. Things will hopefully be tightened up in 2020.
I agree but don't see us jumping into the top half defensive wise

Reactions: SpotHogCard

It certainly might not, but we do return 5 defensive linemen, 8 linebackers, and 7 defensive backs from the depth chart, so that is a good place to begin with experienced depth. There are also players like safety PJ Blue, linebacker Dorian Jones, and Dejmi Dumervil-Jean who were out with injury this year who might (in some cases “will”) return.

There are other young players on the roster (Thurman Geathers, Zach Edwards, Caleb Tilman, Telly Plummer, and Allen Smith, for example) who could also develop into contributors by next year.

There’s also Jamel Starks and JaDarien Boykin from last year’s class who might be able to rejoin the team by next summer.

We also have a top juco outside linebacker/safety prospect (Marvin Dallas) joining the team this spring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT