ADVERTISEMENT

kickoff theory

beasleythecard

Four-Star Poster
Jan 7, 2007
louisville
This play on the kickoff of kicking it short is killing our team. NO SUCCESSFUL TEAM DOES THIS. We basically give teams possession at the 30 as an average.

Petrino wants the short kick, but it is biting us

I don't watch pro ball, but someone said in this space that Belichick of the Patriots does the same thing. You may not like him, but that guy's won a game or two...

Reactions: beasleythecard
I don't watch pro ball, but someone said in this space that Belichick of the Patriots does the same thing. You may not like him, but that guy's won a game or two...
I love Belichick, and absolutely love Petrino, I will never ever believe that kickoff practice is warranted in key situations. Some situations call for kicking it through the end zone and not surrendering 30 plus yards because of ego, or desire to stop them inside the 10 with a directional kick in key junctions of the game when you are better served kicking the ball through the end zone.

Petrino doesnt want touchbacks.

Take it up with him.
I guess what I'm saying is that it would be nice to have a kicker on the team that had enough leg and could actually get touchbacks. If that is Petrino's philosophy (love to see a link of him saying it & explaining why) there are still situations where a eliminating any chance of a big return is warranted.

I guess what I'm saying is that it would be nice to have a kicker on the team that had enough leg and could actually get touchbacks. If that is Petrino's philosophy (love to see a link of him saying it & explaining why) there are still situations where a eliminating any chance of a big return is warranted.
he has, I have heard him say it. I respect it, just not a good practice in all situations in my opinion.

I don't have the numbers, and do not mean to argue with anyone, but....I recall many KO's that we've made the stop inside the 25 and quite a few inside the 20.

In fact, if someone knows where to access this info (Howie?) I'd bet some money we've stopped them inside the 25 more than out side. And that is CBP's (and Bilichick's) goal. Make the field longer.

The long ones stand out because they are more likely to hurt us.

And I've heard CBP say this several times. I'm not sure I agree, but I ain't coaching.

Dont get me wrong, id rather have it kicked through the end zone.

Long returns are momentum turners. If he changes it, it probably wont be
until next season.

This play on the kickoff of kicking it short is killing our team. NO SUCCESSFUL TEAM DOES THIS. We basically give teams possession at the 30 as an average.

Petrino wants the short kick, but it is biting us
I doubt Petrino wanted to kick the last one to the 5. I would assume in light of the Clemson experience he would have wanted to kick it out of the end zone. I believe we have overlooked a material part of our team need -special teams. Just as we cannot make a field goal of over 35 yards, cannot return a kickoff past the 20, not punt for more than 35 yds, we cannot kickoff the ball beyond the goal line.

Last edited:
Petrino has talked about it more than once on his weekly radio show. I don't recall a media interview on the subject...

I understand the philosophy behind it and on paper, it makes sense - particularly with respect to playing the field position game. With that said, it definitely makes more sense with an offense less explosive than UofL's current one. There are teams that UofL will face with outstanding KR and the ability to kick it over their heads is useful.

On the flip side - why have our KRs ever brought the ball out of the end zone? You would think BP would have a policy on that as well. Lastly and somewhat related, why do we never directionally punt? That's another useful ability to have particularly if you're facing a good punt returner. Kerry Rhodes' dropped interception notwithstanding, I sure would've rather we didn't punt to Devin Hester in that crucial spot.

I understand the philosophy behind it and on paper, it makes sense - particularly with respect to playing the field position game. With that said, it definitely makes more sense with an offense less explosive than UofL's current one. There are teams that UofL will face with outstanding KR and the ability to kick it over their heads is useful.

On the flip side - why have our KRs ever brought the ball out of the end zone? You would think BP would have a policy on that as well. Lastly and somewhat related, why do we never directionally punt? That's another useful ability to have particularly if you're facing a good punt returner. Kerry Rhodes' dropped interception notwithstanding, I sure would've rather we didn't punt to Devin Hester in that crucial spot.
if we expect to be a successful team, we need to concentrate our resources onto special teams. With an incredible soccer team we may want to look there for a kicker. what we have now is sub par to 5 high school teams. The Trinity kicker hits 55 yard field goals, so does the central high kicker. Our college kicker is toast at 30 yards.

This weekend's games have taught us how important key special teams players are. Like the nationally ranked long-snapper that Petrino has reportedly offered a scholly to.

You don't need those guys until you're missing one. And then it's too late...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT