ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne's Recruiting

but if you read merl codes stuff, maybe his recruiting prowess is solely tied to nike funneling players to uk, can he do the same for adidas school?

Ed Cooley has seemingly turned Providence around at 22-3, first place in big east, and Naismith award finalist!
Anyone that puts Providence in the top 10 is worth a serious look! He’s been a HC since 06, and as far as I know is a high character guy! His salary is something UofL could work with he currently is @2.2mil per year! Not sure how well he can recruit but recruiting for Providence and UofL is a totally different situation

Ed Cooley has seemingly turned Providence around at 22-3, first place in big east, and Naismith award finalist!
Anyone that puts Providence in the top 10 is worth a serious look! He’s been a HC since 06, and as far as I know is a high character guy! His salary is something UofL could work with he currently is @2.2mil per year! Not sure how well he can recruit but recruiting for Providence and UofL is a totally different situation
Cooley makes 3.4M.

Forbes has 0 career NCAAT wins. We're now lowering the bar on what is defined as success.

He may be a good coach. I'm not trying to dog on anybody.

If we're discussing this guy this is an indictment on the candidate pool.
I never said hire Forbes, and even stated I knew almost nothing about him. I don’t even want the guy but I gave him as an example of a “grinder” in the game who has built a resume being a head coach.

Also, how is Forbes supposed to have a boat load of NCAA tourney wins anyway? He was at ETSU for goodness sakes, and just getting starting at Wake.

Also, how is Forbes supposed to have a boat load of NCAA tourney wins anyway?
Agree. And this is what the Payne supporters say when his lack of experience is held against him.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think I would wanna hire anyone out there. I have no preference. None .

I have no doubt all of these guys that have been in the game probably have a plan. The question is can they execute it at this level waiting on a post season ban.

The more I watch from this team, I think if KP is the guy, then go ahead and do it now. He’s needs to secure whatever recruits we have or need to get but more importantly he needs to assess this roster and decide who comes back. If we wait until season over, we’ll be behind even more so. And it doesn’t look like Pegues gets an opportunity for the job.

This team doesn’t know how to win. They are good enough to keep most games close but bad enough not to finish. End of the game turns into hero ball and there are no hero’s on this team.

There are some good pieces but some guys need to move on. They just don’t understand how to play within a team concept.

I still would like to know why we still play 10-11 guys and that was even with Cross not playing. Why are we trying to keep everyone happy with PT? It’s beyond that, it’s do whatever we need to do to win. Most teams we play, play 7-8 guys and their bench players play 10-14 minutes at most. You mean Dre Savis or Ellis can’t play 32-38 minutes? If you don’t think they can play defense, don’t play them at all.

Stop and think about this for a second. To my knowledge Kenny Payne has never been a head coach at any level! I’m talking grade school, high school, AAU, JUCO, D-I, D-II, and D-III. And yet he’s on the verge of landing a top 5-10 job? Why? Ridiculous.

And probably an equally ridiculous contract. The guy's apparently living right.

It's gonna be a crapshoot, but I hope Payne's successful. We can't afford him not to be...

Circumstances has made it more complicated. I think the IRP announcing the hearing in June helps. I think the worst case is they get a 1 year ban. I doubt they get that but coaches need to plan for the worst. Mack probably wouldn’t have taken the job if he knew this was going to drag out 5-6 years.

A high profile coach is going to be hesitant to take a job under a interim AD and President. I am not sure I would leave a good situation for something that is unstable/unknown.

It is a top 10 program but not under these circumstances. As we have seen you better have a AD that has the ability/authority to take bullets for the coach. If new AD didn’t hire you when things goes sideways you have to know the new AD has your back.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
And probably an equally ridiculous contract. The guy's apparently living right.

It's gonna be a crapshoot, but I hope Payne's successful. We can't afford him not to be...
At the end of the day I’m still a fan but damn what a gamble if we hire Payne. Recent alumni being gifted high level spots isn’t looking too well lately.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
These are facts according to Marques Maybin and Steve Rummage!
Well that settles that then. 🙄 A couple of guys who are basically jumped up fans, trying to justify the 25K per year they make on local radio. I’m amazed that anyone listens to any of that drivel.

Once again the conversation is recruiting nothing about coaching. Are looking for a coach or a recruiter?

Borzello – Athletic directors hire coaches to do their job, the most important aspect of a program is recruiting, and a coach should be trusted to recruit effectively — or at least hire assistant coaches that can recruit effectively.

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
Mack failed because he couldn’t recruit high end players. Recruiting has always been the key to any program. In Denny’s last couple of years that was his issue. How many teams UK teams just had better players than everyone else despite their coach.

The gamble with Payne is can he recruit at a high enough level to work through his inexperience as a coach. No one knows that answer. It is a good debate. This same debate needs to happen with all the other candidates. Can they recruit well enough to bring the program back? Keep in mind none of the potential coaches have proven they can recruit without Nike. Apply the same standard to those coaches as you evaluate their resumes.

Can he beat Villanova? Mack could not, so that is a datapoint.

Mack failed because he couldn’t recruit high end players. Recruiting has always been the key to any program. In Denny’s last couple of years that was his issue. How many teams UK teams just had better players than everyone else despite their coach.

The gamble with Payne is can he recruit at a high enough level to work through his inexperience as a coach. No one knows that answer. It is a good debate. This same debate needs to happen with all the other candidates. Can they recruit well enough to bring the program back? Keep in mind none of the potential coaches have proven they can recruit without Nike. Apply the same standard to those coaches as you evaluate their resumes.
I don’t think Mack was ever responsible for recruiting. I think that was Murray’s job. The issue with Mack was his inability to get the most out of his players without being a total jackass.

I don’t think Mack was ever responsible for recruiting. I think that was Murray’s job. The issue with Mack was his inability to get the most out of his players without being a total jackass.
If it is true Mack didn’t handle recruiting that explains this disaster. However; I don’t believe that is the case. There are no head coaches who aren’t responsible for recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT