ADVERTISEMENT

Junior Bridgeman shedding restaurants

Might be awful for us but sounds like a great deal for Junior. Plus the satisfaction that he is one of the most successful athletes turned businessman and he is L1C4!!!

Reactions: L1c4tillidie
Step away from the ledge seashore. Nowhere does it say they're closing his restaurants, he's just selling them. Getting into a different business.Best Of luck in the Cola war Jr.

I read the article to make sure before I commented... There's no way to tell from that piece whether it's good, bad, or indifferent from U of L's standpoint or his. Good for him that it doesn't appear to be anything but a business decision. No mention of business or financial hardship. Also no mention of store closings so you don't know what it means for employees in any negative way. Doubtful that Bridgeman owns enough franchises in a single area for it to impact a local economy, Louisville or elsewhere.

More likely that there's a profit and/or personal motive in the move for Bridgeman & Family. Perhaps it's an opportunity for his son to take over a business (Coca-Cola bottling) that he wants to manage when his father retires at some point. With Dad's track record and connections, it could be a great opportunity with Coke that the Bridgemans couldn't pass up.

To the contrary, this could be a great opportunity that eventually BENEFITS U of L, if indirectly. Maybe Junior wants more time and effort to focus on philanthropy and his alma mater. Maybe this frees up a large amount of his net worth that he can more easily pass on to his successors. You just don't know what it means, not from that article anyway. Good luck to Junior, and thanks for your service and contributions to U of L...

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: pervisl
I read the article to make sure before I commented... There's no way to tell from that piece whether it's good, bad, or indifferent from U of L's standpoint or his. Good for him that it doesn't appear to be anything but a business decision. No mention of business or financial hardship. Also no mention of store closings so you don't know what it means for employees in any negative way. Doubtful that Bridgeman owns enough franchises in a single area for it to impact a local economy, Louisville or elsewhere.

More likely that there's a profit and/or personal motive in the move for Bridgeman & Family. Perhaps it's an opportunity for his son to take over a business (Coca-Cola bottling) that he wants to manage when his father retires at some point. With Dad's track record and connections, it could be a great opportunity with Coke that the Bridgemans couldn't pass up.

To the contrary, this could be a great opportunity that eventually BENEFITS U of L, if indirectly. Maybe Junior wants more time and effort to focus on philanthropy and his alma mater. Maybe this frees up a large amount of his net worth that he can more easily pass on to his successors. You just don't know what it means, not from that article anyway. Good luck to Junior, and thanks for your service and contributions to U of L...

from Forbes Mid 2014 article

195-store portfolio—making Bridgeman’s private company, Bridgeman Foods, America’s second-largest Wendy’s franchise owner. (Bridgeman won’t discuss his profits.) He also owns 125 Chili’s restaurants, 45 Fannie May Chocolate stores, and scads of other retail franchises, most of them clustered in the upper Midwest, between corporate headquarters in Milwaukee and Louisville. His employee roster numbers 9,000 people. Estimates of his net worth range from $250 million to $400 million.

Junior is still a young man and perhaps he just wants to slow down a bit. If his children have the skills he deems necessary to grow another business then so be it. I seriously doubt that he'll lose any interest in the University of Louisville or it's missions. Plus, he just doesn't seem to be the type of guy to leave employees hanging. Let's give this a little more time.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...94eb924b10cab7d33707d&t=1461181418&j=72526172

This is just awful news. Just awful. Don't know what it means for the local employees. He has an office here also. Don't know what it means for UofL. Will he stay in Louisville? Awful news. Ellen

He is selling a bunch of Wendy's and chilis to fund a new venture. He isn't moving and it will have no effect on UofL. I'm sure he would have been the local bottler in Louisville had a large bottler not already owned it.

Wendys has gone downhill fast since Dave passed. I don't even eat there anymore, and I always loved the spicy chicken sandwich. Junior is a smart guy.

Wendys has gone downhill fast since Dave passed. I don't even eat there anymore, and I always loved the spicy chicken sandwich. Junior is a smart guy.
I agree. What used to be 'hot and juicy' is no longer either in our area. Dry and lukewarm is more like it. I would grab a burger at Wendy's even when I wasn't totally in the mood for one in years past. No more.

IMO Junior has bailed on a sinking ship. Credit to him.

I don't know if they're sinking or not all I know is I made good money putting them together last year. They opened 275 new Wendy's last year and they are steadily adding more.

If any fast food joint is sinking it's Arby's. In most cases you could shoot a gun thru those stores and not hit a soul.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I don't know if they're sinking or not all I know is I made good money putting them together last year. They opened 275 new Wendy's last year and they are steadily adding more.
That is good to hear. I will always have a soft spot for Wendy's and would hate to see them go away. Perhaps my issue with them is more with the two local franchises that I visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT