ADVERTISEMENT

U of L NIL ?

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
First off i don't like it but it's here too stay. I have a serious question with U of L's NIL . What local corp's or business's have deals with our athletes. Maybe i'm missing something i have yet to see any U of L player repping any thing on tv or Bill Board . I mean i've seen ommercials with Indiana and UK players too include lawyer bill board with UK players right here in Louisville but not one U of L player.Other than Malik with Planet Fitness and that wa just on a flyer at the gym . How can we expect too really get anyone if our NIL is not up to par. HVL just proved that. Maybe you guys know more about what's the deal with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Cardiac Red
Good question. I remember seeing IU player Trayce Jackson Davis on TV for a car dealership commercial last season.

What happened to Roc Nation ties UofL had?

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Good question. I remember seeing IU player Trayce Jackson Davis on TV for a car dealership commercial last season.

What happened to Roc Nation ties UofL had?
Look what Mckenzie stated about IU's NIL right their you give an example of an IU player on tv in the LVille market. Now the Roc nation ties are just based off Perez being a son of an employee their and KP giving him a job out of college to get his foot in the door .

As this evolves they better figure out how to analytically spend whatever is in their NIL budget. Does not matter what the budget is high or low players have to fit the coach and system. Transfer provide more game data. This is going to critical moving forward.

Many think the 2 stretches Davis and Miami kid impacted transfers coming here, I disagree. It was Clark, Flowers, Glynn, Williams, and Evans along with players coming back. All this was done early in the process. The question is who would you replace among that group? On a 13 man roster you have to take some flyers.

What is interesting to me is in a world of positions don’t matter as much the players /handlers want to be a specific spot. Ellis wants to be a PG——he is clearly a combo which makes he more valuable. Withers wanted to be a 3-4 but was much better at 5. Bradshaw at KY is determined to be a 4. Flowers has made it clear he is a guard. This all matters in recruiting and retaining. You either allow them to do it or you aren’t getting or letting them go.

I don’t like NIL either. But why would you expect U of L kids to be involved in big NIL deals? I don’t…

Last edited:
I understand. But what recent history is there of those organizations giving big money to U of L athletics?

Also keep in mind that NIL money is not necessarily for social or community benefit and not tax deductible. May be more cost effective donating that money to a nonprofit.

Five star prospects are not nonprofits and may not meet the test for corporate philanthropy…

Last edited:
I understand. But what recent history is there of those organizations giving big money to U of L athletics?

Also keep in mind that NIL money is not necessarily for social or community benefit and not tax deductible. May be more cost effective donating that money to a nonprofit.

Five star prospects are not nonprofits and may not meet the test for corporate philanthropy…
That’s why I said “should be”. Financial feasibility is undoubtedly in play but community good will toward UL would be greatly appreciated.

The University of Arkansas drew heavy praise following the release of their new NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) platform because they are the first University to start a campaign that includes major brands like Tyson, Walmart and JB Hunt.

All three companies are were founded and are headquartered in northwest Arkansas, with Tyson being the world's largest meat producer, Walmart being the world's largest retailer and trucking company JB Hunt being firmly entrenched in the Fortune 500.

The University of Arkansas drew heavy praise following the release of their new NIL (Name, Image and Likeness) platform because they are the first University to start a campaign that includes major brands like Tyson, Walmart and JB Hunt.

All three companies are were founded and are headquartered in northwest Arkansas, with Tyson being the world's largest meat producer, Walmart being the world's largest retailer and trucking company JB Hunt being firmly entrenched in the Fortune 500.
And Muss pulled in quite the haul in the portal.

Good info. And I like laying down the gauntlet in front of U of L as far as fund raising.

In fairness, you didn't say that companies with a local presence should be stepping up... You questioned if they were or why they were not.

My view is they aren't because we're ineffective at fund raising. It's patently obvious when you look at our financials. NIL is just another purpose or initiative.

And I question why anyone would expect anything differently with NIL esp. when it's not exactly philanthropy. Some would view it as bribery...

All three are 'up by the bootstraps' operations that were privately held for a long period of time by entrepreneurs who grew up as Razorback fans. A very unique situation. Whereas Ford, UPS, Yum!, et al have been national/international shareholder owned corporations with little or no home base. Good Luck getting dollars from them!

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
All three are 'up by the bootstraps' operations that were privately held for a long period of time by entrepreneurs who grew up as Razorback fans. A very unique situation. Whereas Ford, UPS, Yum!, et al have been national/international shareholder owned corporations with little or no home base. Good Luck getting dollars from them!
It depends on who and how it’s done. Where I’m with you is counting on the folks here now to do that…

Glad some things are being done and changed why i first questioned U of L's NIL .I knew something was lacking ! And i know just like i've read with other programs it's a work in progress .Some schools like Ark ,Tx have big corps behind them everyone else is working at it.

Here’s my recent experience with 502circle.com FWIW. I suggest U of L gets the basics down before taking on more new initiatives that don’t work…

For MONTHS now, you haven’t been able to go online and make monthly NIL payments from a bank account or by credit card. You can make a one time payment—supposedly (and more on that in a minute)—but not a recurring payment. Evidently, this level of technology and sophistication isn’t commonplace in 2023.

Having waited this long and fielding requests for money, my wife went online to start making systematic payments MANUALLY. The processing app said there would be two small transactions on her bank account, and to enter the amounts to complete the setup, as is typical for many 3rd party processors.

Two weeks later now, no transactions. In the meantime, I get an email from a guy trying to raise NIL money for women’s basketball. I politely explain the circumstances—if he didn’t already know—of trying to make a simple payment. I also remarked they needed to get their issues fixed before I would be trying to pay them money. His response was please not tell anyone so they’re not discouraged. That’s U of L’s fix to their problems, don’t tell anyone.

Amazing stuff.

So you’ll excuse me if NIL news doesn’t exactly encourage me…

Last edited:
Here’s my recent experience with 502circle.com FWIW. I suggest U of L gets the basics down before taking on more new initiatives that don’t work…

For MONTHS now, you haven’t been able to go online and make monthly NIL payments from a bank account or by credit card. You can make a one time payment—supposedly (and more on that in a minute)—but not a recurring payment. Evidently, this level of technology and sophistication isn’t commonplace in 2023.

Having waited this long and fielding requests for money, my wife went online to start making systematic payments MANUALLY. The processing app said there would be two small transactions on her bank account, and to enter the amounts to complete the setup, as is typical for many 3rd party processors.

Two weeks later now, no transactions. In the meantime, I get an email from a guy trying to raise NIL money for women’s basketball. I politely explain the circumstances—if he didn’t already know—of trying to make a simple payment. I also remarked they needed to get their issues fixed before I would be trying to pay them money. His response was please not tell anyone so they’re not discouraged. That’s U of L’s fix to their problems, don’t tell anyone.

Amazing stuff.

So you’ll excuse me if NIL news doesn’t exactly encourage me…
Well parts of what you are stating is going hand in hand with some info that i know . Just didn't want to put it out because i didn't know anything truly about U of L's NIL. I'll just say this it has done some harm somewhat . And this is just not a U of L issue alot of programs are having the same issues.Getting their NIL on the same page. All programs don't have it like a few that seem too have certain entity's funding it all. The type players our mens and women coaches want they need to have a NIL package that is deep. '

Last edited:
Some sports like women’s basketball are now making mass appeals to fans for money. IIRC something like two thousand fans for that sport. With numbers like that, you need technology, and you need it to work.

Forgot to mention in my last post, but I was told to ignore a website response and that the transaction executes as requested. Had to do with a donation to one sport or to sports generally. I was told to assume one thing even though the “system” says another. Priceless…

Some sports like women’s basketball are now making mass appeals to fans for money. IIRC something like two thousand fans for that sport. With numbers like that, you need technology, and you need it to work.

Forgot to mention in my last post, but I was told to ignore a website response and that the transaction executes as requested. Had to do with a donation to one sport or to sports generally. I was told to assume one thing even though the “system” says another. Priceless…
Which explains why the funds were not their for a certain program when it was needed. So things could not be offered a Florida Gators situation was avoided.Now i see this new initiative is suppose to fix that.

Glad some things are being done and changed why i first questioned U of L's NIL .I knew something was lacking ! And i know just like i've read with other programs it's a work in progress .Some schools like Ark ,Tx have big corps behind them everyone else is working at it.
UofL was the first to come up with the exchange and we were the model for other Universities.
Secondly the reason we’re behind in MBB is because KP wasn’t accepting of NIL at first and Walz isn’t a big fan either.
Brohm was accepting from the start.
Just because we don’t have players on TV doesn’t mean money isn’t flowing.
NIL money can also be directed to a sport like FB etc.
As for HVL she was the biggest benefactor of the NIL at UofL thanks to Adidas and other deals. She left UofL because she wants a NC which will really increase her value.

Reactions: glassmanJ
UofL was the first to come up with the exchange and we were the model for other Universities.
Secondly the reason we’re behind in MBB is because KP wasn’t accepting of NIL at first and Walz isn’t a big fan either.
Brohm was accepting from the start.
Just because we don’t have players on TV doesn’t mean money isn’t flowing.
NIL money can also be directed to a sport like FB etc.
As for HVL she was the biggest benefactor of the NIL at UofL thanks to Adidas and other deals. She left UofL because she wants a NC which will really increase her value.
LOL our NIL is terrible HVL is chasing NIL NC talk is BS and the waters KP is swimming in those fish command way more NIL than FB.

Last edited:
...the reason we’re behind in MBB is because KP wasn’t accepting of NIL at first and Walz isn’t a big fan either. Brohm was accepting from the start...
McDonnell isn't a huge fan either unless he can utilize it to supplement scholarships. (He has said this.)

IOW he'd like to funnel NIL money to walk-ons, not exactly why/how NIL evolved...

Matt Jones stated stated earlier this mourning that UK's NIL is behind also. And that Cal is having issues with it . He can't promise the number certain kids are asking it's just not their. LOL thought i never see the day UK gets out priced. Jones stated Ark,KS,Tx ,Duke NIL can't be matched at present. I understand ARK and Duke, TX but where does KS get this money?

I listened to the person in charge of U of L's new NIL on one of the talk shows yesterday. And they are really trying to get these business's on board. He kept emphasizing they can't keep having just a certain entity footing the bill. If this NIL is not improved it's not going to matter what coach is here . NIL is the future no coach will be successful without a full coffer.

Last edited:
Kansas is a basketball first school with plenty of boosters. I think they put all there money in basketball. As far as UL. It is what it is. Until football and basketball starts winning at a high level. Money wont be coming ib dor projects nor nil from people

simple reality is college athletes are paid employees hired by colleges and universities to generate donation dollars which are fed by how well those players succeed. but first and foremost they are paid employees who for the last 100 years have been taken advantage of by coaches and schools. NIL is here to pay those athletes above board instead of under the table like it always was before. boosters can now legally give their money instead of doing it the shady way it's always been done. no longer need $100 handshakes after the games.

Kansas is a basketball first school with plenty of boosters. I think they put all their money in basketball. As far as UL. It is what it is. Until football and basketball starts winning at a high level. Money wont be coming ib dor projects nor nil from people
U of L athletics hasn’t been able to consistently raise enough revenue annually to cover its expenses. Been that way since the new regime took over.

It’s illogical that’s gonna change for a new fundraising effort like NIL, a baseball practice facility, or anything else.

And I’m gonna keep saying that until we prove otherwise…

Reactions: swurv99
U of L athletics hasn’t been able to consistently raise enough revenue annually to cover its expenses. Been that way since the new regime took over.

It’s illogical that’s gonna change for a new fundraising effort like NIL, a baseball practice facility, or anything else.

And I’m gonna keep saying that until we prove otherwise…
age old adage, winning takes care of everything. the regime change coincided with a bunch of other factors so while you can easily make your point, if football wins 10 and bball wins 20 you'll see those numbers go thru the roof from all the people on the fence waiting to see if success happens first. hardcore supporters always flow the cash, but the rest need winning to throw there buck in the pot. i give it 18 months to either validate your point or negate it. until then you get to make your point as often as you want as it's correct and can be backed up by data. i'll argue the reason, but not the results. that's what i like about your points, i may not agree with some of your reasoning, but if you've got data points, it's easier to understand your reasoning. but i figure get a football, bball, then another football seaosn in the books, see what their success is, then bring back this topic and see if anythign changed. i hope to prove you wrong which of course means we were successful, imho. because if your data still holds, we're screwed in so many ways. but i truly believe that will not be the case.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT