ADVERTISEMENT

JJ Traynor

From what i'm hearing Smith seems the most likely to commit You can write off Askew he is wanting a Uk offer. Traynor who knows with Payne and coach Brewer being former teammates and friends i wouldn't be surprised if he goes Blue. He's the son of Jason Osbourne so hopefully he follows dads footsteps.

The uk angle is a reach imo This kid is a self=professed UL fan his entire life, the son of a former UL player with a former UL player as coach. I say we take his commitment this weekend. Then the kid from Aspire and D Smith my fav.

Reactions: BankerCat12
Do we have 4 or 5 open spots? Kimble, McMahon, Sutton, Enoch. Nwora will be gone and hell maybe Williams and/or Williamson.

The uk angle is a reach imo This kid is a self=professed UL fan his entire life, the son of a former UL player with a former UL player as coach. I say we take his commitment this weekend. Then the kid from Aspire and D Smith my fav.
BB: “Well I played at Louisville, but I love Kentucky. Kenny Payne is my old teammate, and he’s obviously an assistant there. So when we talk, Kenny is really honest with me, and I’m really honest with him. It’s like brothers talking. You got Kentucky, and you’ve got Louisville, but you can’t go wrong with either of those schools. Kentucky wants to see him play more, and I understand that. They saw him play in July, and they saw him play well, but at the same time, they want to see that continued effort and the consistency. They want to see the development. When you go to Kentucky, you’re a four star or a five star, but they turn four stars into five stars. I mean, they really turn them into six stars really, when you think about it with their draft stock. You really have to credit them for player development. Who would not want to send their kid to a program where their player development is extremely high? That’s the thing.

BB: “Well I played at Louisville, but I love Kentucky. Kenny Payne is my old teammate, and he’s obviously an assistant there. So when we talk, Kenny is really honest with me, and I’m really honest with him. It’s like brothers talking. You got Kentucky, and you’ve got Louisville, but you can’t go wrong with either of those schools. Kentucky wants to see him play more, and I understand that. They saw him play in July, and they saw him play well, but at the same time, they want to see that continued effort and the consistency. They want to see the development. When you go to Kentucky, you’re a four star or a five star, but they turn four stars into five stars. I mean, they really turn them into six stars really, when you think about it with their draft stock. You really have to credit them for player development. Who would not want to send their kid to a program where their player development is extremely high? That’s the thing.
I would say UK has a great chance of landing Boo Brewer. ;)

I can’t give sUcK credit for developing their players since they are mostly 1 and done. They come in with all their talent and just need a stage to display it and that is what sUcK offers. I think Traynor could go either way but I think it would be best for him to go to Louisville. Coach Mack and staff are better at developing players than the staff at sUcK.
I base that on the fact that Mack has worked with lesser talented players and developed them into really good players. What he did at Xavier was really impressive. What Calipari has done at sUcK is only average considering the talent he’s had.

Reactions: gocds and TDredbird
I can’t give sUcK credit for developing their players since they are mostly 1 and done. They come in with all their talent and just need a stage to display it and that is what sUcK offers. I think Traynor could go either way but I think it would be best for him to go to Louisville. Coach Mack and staff are better at developing players than the staff at sUcK.
I base that on the fact that Mack has worked with lesser talented players and developed them into really good players. What he did at Xavier was really impressive. What Calipari has done at sUcK is only average considering the talent he’s had.
I won't go as far as saying Mack is Better than Cal, only because i haven't seen enough of Mack. However from a standpoint of where Traynor is at present with his skill set he definitely would fair better at U of L. less talented guys will be ahead of him here . He reminds me of Derrick Willis whom should have came here under Rick.

It amazes me how many people in the basketball industry continue to buy into the concept that Cal develops players. He has ruined the homegrown KY player ideaology.

In his 10 years at UK, he has put 3 players he recruited in the NBA that played beyond their freshmen season. One of those players was Jones who would have left if not for the NBA holdout.

If you are not a OAD player at UK, your career seriously nose dives. He plays or coaches a style that usually keeps the players draft status level. A few players emerged but more falter.

It is not difficult to develop top 10 players into draft picks.

It amazes me how many people in the basketball industry continue to buy into the concept that Cal develops players. He has ruined the homegrown KY player ideaology.

In his 10 years at UK, he has put 3 players he recruited in the NBA that played beyond their freshmen season. One of those players was Jones who would have left if not for the NBA holdout.

If you are not a OAD player at UK, your career seriously nose dives. He plays or coaches a style that usually keeps the players draft status level. A few players emerged but more falter.

It is not difficult to develop top 10 players into draft picks.
You say that Calipari doesn't develop players, & that he has had only 3 players that he recruited at UK that stayed more than 1 year that played in the NBA? Only 3, only 3?..... In case you don't want to do the research. Check out these names. ALL MULTI YEAR PLAYERS!
Andrew Harrison
Aaron Harrison
Terrence Jones
Doron Lamb
Alex Poythress
Willie Cauley-Stein
Isaac Humphries
Isaiah Briscoe
Wenyen Gabriel
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis
Not to mention the 4-Star recruits that Cal has turned into lottery picks. Cauley-Stein, Devin Booker, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander & Tyler Herro.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonathanUSAF
You say that Calipari doesn't develop players, & that he has had only 3 players that he recruited at UK that stayed more than 1 year that played in the NBA? Only 3, only 3?..... In case you don't want to do the research. Check out these names. ALL MULTI YEAR PLAYERS!
Andrew Harrison
Aaron Harrison
Terrence Jones
Doron Lamb
Alex Poythress
Willie Cauley-Stein
Isaac Humphries
Isaiah Briscoe
Wenyen Gabriel

The question is not whether they play in the NBA but does UK develop players, period. It is easy to point to this player or that player plays in the NBA but is that evidence of any type of development while attending UK? Look at the process. A highly ranked player goes to college and if you are one and done (OAD), you are basically in school for a semester, maybe a semester and a summer session tops. How much development is really going on for those types of players? It is safe to say that they are not really being developed. Of course this depends on your definition of "developing". So, let's take away the OAD players. Now, you listed the above highly ranked players and their inclusion into the NBA as evidence of their development. I did a little research and this is what I found:
1. Andrew Harrison – top 5 player in class of 2013 – 2nd draft pick – still in NBA with GS
2. Aaron Harrison – top 5 player in class of 2013 (Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Julius randle and his brother) – undrafted – Hornets then G league now Europe
3. Terrence Jones – top #8 (Scout), #9 (ESPNU), #13(Rivals) – 1st round (18th) – still in NBA with Rockets
4. Doron Lamb - #21 player (#3 shooting guard) – 2nd draft pick (42nd) – Bucks, G league, Europe.
5. Alex Poythress - #17 player (ESPNU), #10(Scout), #8(Rivals) – undrafted – ’17 76ers, ’17-’18 Pacers, ’18-’19 Hawks with stints D league, now CBA
6. Willie Cauley-Stein - #9 center, #40 player 4 star, 1st rounder (6th) – still in NBA with GS
7. Isaac Humphries – played ball at Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra – undrafted – played professional in Sydney and Serbia, G league when picked up by Hawks, now with Magic.
8. Isaiah Briscoe - #10 ranked (Rivals), #1 PG in class – Undrafted – Estonia (Kalev/Cramo) Played for the Magic in 2018 and was waived 2019.
9. Wenyen Gabriel – 5 star rated, #14 ranked (ESPN) – Undrafted – signed two way contract with Sacramento in 2018 – present G league Stockton Kings.

Of the players you listed, only Isaac Humphries seems to be a project, a player that needed developing. Unfortunately, it looks like his days at UK didn't do much but to give him an opportunity to be seen. He went undrafted, played professionally at home in Australia and through HIS hard work he finally made it to the league. The Harrison twins are not a testament to being developed considering they were top 5 players coming out of high school and one went in the second round while the other went undrafted. Cauley Stein is the beneficiary of height since you can't teach that. Where is the developing?

Calipari is great at one thing, keeping this misconception alive for so long. Fact is 95% of his recruits while at UK were going to the league regardless of where they played their college ball. Development? I wouldn't go that far. Exposure is the benefit of playing for UK. He is smart about it though. He constantly throws factoids out for anyone who will listen. Just recently he said his former players have collectively signed over 2 billion in NBA contracts . He does that shot all the time, occasionally at the frustration of die hard UK fans. Remember the whole ( my job is to get guys in the league ) comment. UK fans were irate because they thought he cared more about that than winning championships. I gotta admit its a highly successful recruiting strategy. Kids see this stuff and it keeps the pipeline Rollin. UK has literally had the #1 or #2 recruiting class every single year Calipari has been there. I'm not sure about the current class.I think its may be memphis and duke 1 and 2 but still.

He stands by his process. He is the ultimate ( players ) coach. Top 20 kids never hAve and never will go to a school at ride the pine because they dont have to. Remember when he stubbornly played the Harrison twins instead or Ulyss and Booker clearly the more talented duo to keep up the image.it cost UK a title too. He would rather lose out on a title than create chatter that top 5 recruits where snubbed for lesser kids. Don't want that rep. Patino had it big time. Thats why top 20 recruits usually passed on playing for a hall of fame coach. He would sit em in a minute. Calipari understood the thinking of today's kids better. But that in no way makes him a good developer of talent. I seriously believe if Calipari had regular classes ranked in the 20's @ 30's his teams would consistently miss the ncaa tournament. He showed his incompetence the year Noel got hurt . they got beat in round 1 of the NIT with a roster that included 4 or 5 previous 5 * recruits. Best recruiter ever.. Very average basketball coach. Absolute genius at representing himself. Evidence ( lifetime contract at one of the highest paying jobs in the sport )
Still sucks though.. I friggin guarantee with absolute certainty that Chris Mack record against UK won't even be in the same universe as Patino's embarrassing run. Macks teams have a toughness about them that Patino never prioritize d . All he chirped about every year was body fat. Really though. Think about this. He brings in a 7 foot rail thin center from Egypt that is a practicing Muslim. So every year they feed him 15,000 calories a day in an effort to put some weight on him only to have him go home every summer and fast like all Muslims do. Brilliant. Patino recruited to many ( projects ) to compete with the talent level Calimare had anually. What a brutal 20 years it has been. Time to add some W's to that lobsidedass record against those fags.

I have to make a correction for a ridiculously incorrect statement. I said.if Calipari had classes in the 20,s and 30,s hed miis the tourney regularly . I should have said if he had classes ranked 10-15 manually hed miss out. What was I thinking. I mean even with the 1 and 2 ranked classes each year they average somewhere around 6-7 losses with 2 or3 coming against awful sec teams. 10-15 called would bump that to about 15-20 losses and 5 or 6 to bums. That's a bubble resume for sure. Again sorry and let the era of the dunking cardinal begin.

This stuff got me thinking. Calipari and UK are extremely lucky to have owed the rivalry lately. Here why. Pitino was at UL for almost 20 years. While at UL he had an affair and an ugly court battle not to mention the abortion, them comes the whole stripper thing followed by the Adidas debacle. Add it all up and its a freaking miracle that we fielded a competitive team year in and year out. Losing to those pricks was almost inevitable considering. I can't imagine how different our recruiting would have been without all that negative press and image smearing nonsense. Ah. To imagine. He'll same goes for football for that matter. Some programs are lucky sumbitches..teams like boise st always keep their coaches. Just think how different things would be if say Snellenberger never left. He'll if Petrino had coached here for 12 or 13 consecutive years instead of bailing after building a top 10 team
Man UL would seriously be king of the revenue sports huh.

Reactions: FlavRunit
94TarHeel, you are not supposed to use facts when debating a sUcK fan. It clouds up their imaginary world and they start having brain farts.

Andrew Harrison
Aaron Harrison
Terrence Jones
Doron Lamb
Alex Poythress
Willie Cauley-Stein
Isaac Humphries
Isaiah Briscoe
Wenyen Gabriel
PJ Washington
Tyler Ulis
Not to mention the 4-Star recruits that Cal has turned into lottery picks. Cauley-Stein, Devin Booker, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander & Tyler Herro.
How many are in the NBA? Harrison’s were top HS players that are gone.
Jones another top 20 player stayed 2 years because of the lockout is overseas.
Lamb gone.
Poythress another 5 star recruit in China.
Humphrirs gone.
Briscoe gone.
Gabriel gone.
Washington finally playing.
Ulis gone.

So you are saying Cal took 5 star recruits, got 5 star recruits drafted and they failed to make the league is your example of development.

How many are in the NBA? Harrison’s were top HS players that are gone.
Jones another top 20 player stayed 2 years because of the lockout is overseas.
Lamb gone.
Poythress another 5 star recruit in China.
Humphrirs gone.
Briscoe gone.
Gabriel gone.
Washington finally playing.
Ulis gone.

So you are saying Cal took 5 star recruits, got 5 star recruits drafted and they failed to make the league is your example of development.

This thread is about JJ Traynor not Cal.

Go Cards

After the Askew heartbreak, I'm just not getting my hopes up about Traynor. But this is crazy... I mean Traynor is the son of a legacy... he's local... he probably grew up a Card fan. How the heck could we lose him to UK? I don't know the answer, but I'm not betting against it.

Says four star Devin Booker and Tyler Herro. You can not deny the success UK has had in the last ten years in the draft.

22 MAX deals in the NBA, 7 of them are UK grads. There’s no other program in the country that has had the success in the draft as the BB

Reactions: JonathanUSAF
You can’t deny only one title with all that talent. That would tell me players are making the NBA because of their talent not the coaching.

How many does Roy Williams have? How many does K have? It’s not about just having talent surely to God you know that.

Cal has been to more elite 8’s, more final fours, and has a natty, there’s only one coach that has had more ncaa titles than Cal and its K, and he has two.

It’s a myth that Cal has underachieved with the talent he’s had, plus he’s not paying any player or putting up with any BS either, he does it the right way.

Cal has had 1 title in his entire career. Roy Williams, Denny Crum, Rick Pitino, Tom Self, Jay Wright, Coach K, Billy Donovan, etc the great coaches have more than one title.

Reactions: PHCARD
How many does Roy Williams have? How many does K have? It’s not about just having talent surely to God you know that.

Cal has been to more elite 8’s, more final fours, and has a natty, there’s only one coach that has had more ncaa titles than Cal and its K, and he has two.

It’s a myth that Cal has underachieved with the talent he’s had, plus he’s not paying any player or putting up with any BS either, he does it the right way.
K has two??? Better get with Eric Bledsoe for some math tutoring!

Reactions: TDredbird
Says four star Devin Booker and Tyler Herro. You can not deny the success UK has had in the last ten years in the draft.

22 MAX deals in the NBA, 7 of them are UK grads. There’s no other program in the country that has had the success in the draft as the BB
Wow. I will be sure to write that down. Go home.

@jakeweingarten 1h1 hour ago
Jake Retweeted Jake

More news: He will be announcing his college choice between Louisville and Cincinnati, JJ told me. Cincinnati has been on him since the jump, Louisville had him on several visits this month. Both have a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT