ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Scrubb verbally commits to Louisville

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Per Evan Daniels:

Jay Scrubb, the No. 1 JUCO player in the nation, just verbally committed to Louisville, his father tells @247Sports.

Jake Weingarten • CardinalSports

Good start to the 2020 class as Chris Mack has landed Top-ranked JUCO prospect Jay Scrubb to begin their class for next season, his father told CardinalSports.com.

Scrubb had a final-10 list of Alabama, Texas, Texas Tech, Oregon, Xavier, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Mizzou, Memphis, and obviously, Louisville.

He is considered by many, a future first-round pick in the NBA, which is still an option, but many believe he’d maximize his potential with at least a year of school.

“Everywhere that Jay has ever been he makes a mark. He was hurt at the Nike camp it was still able to leave an impression,” Scrubb’s father said.

He was lights out during the team’s open run in front of the Cardinal faithful. Whether it was his 10+ dunks, his shooting, or his five blocks, Scrubb was one of the top performers.

Scrubb landed his offer from Louisville on May 29th during an unofficial visit, after that he said it was ‘surreal’ and it meant a lot to him. He also took an unofficial visit on August 1st as well as his official this weekend, each time he’s visited Scrubb’s father said “they just continued to show love.”

Last edited:
Verbals are nice and all, but non binding and this young man has NBA aspirations sooner rather than later. We'll see. If he walks out next year in a Cardinals uniform, THEN I'll be thrilled. He's one hell of a talent.

True.
Just getting that first one should get the ball rolling. Coach Mack secures 1 more than he needs just in case Scrubb goes pro.

Congrats on getting a damn good player. He will fit in nicely. Chris Mack continues to provide miracles

Verbals are nice and all, but non binding and this young man has NBA aspirations sooner rather than later. We'll see. If he walks out next year in a Cardinals uniform, THEN I'll be thrilled. He's one hell of a talent.

This is the exact mindset I have with any UofL recruits. It is nice to hear the verbal commit but I don't really get excited until the player is out on the court in a Cards uniform.

Reactions: Cue Card
It is really hard to get excited about a kid that could end up getting picked in the 1st round. Then with the NCAA dragging their feet with the NOA it may not matter who commits early.

The good news is this staff can recruit and once the NCAA is done Louisville will be in great shape.

That kid will be the best player on our team. I hope he plays here, but from watching video, he's got the NBA body already.

Multiple NBA mock drafts project Scrubb as a first-rounder, or close to it, this spring: NBAdraft.net has him at No. 27 overall, ESPN puts him 35th and NBA Draft Room 36th. An impressive sophomore season at John A. Logan could solidify Scrubb's lottery chances.

According to Jason Scrubb, about 15 NBA teams have contacted John A. Logan coach Kyle Smithpeters to ask about Jay. Representatives from the Utah Jazz and Detroit Pistons visited the campus in Carterville, Illinois, last week; the Atlanta Hawks will be there this week

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT