ADVERTISEMENT

Jaire Alexander sitting out bowl, declares for draft

With the logic that it is a meaningless game......they should all sit out.....really, why even play this game? They could get hurt....all of them.

They could get hurt on the airplane trip down, or in the bus ride to the game....hell, they could even get hurt in the locker room....slip and fall, etc, etc.

Where does this sissiness/silliness end?...
It's about risk and reward, and your remarks only address risk. The rewards for most kids playing are (1) improving your pro potential, and (2) solidifying your position for next year if you have eligibility available or plan to return.

JA views that neither #1 or #2 is relevant for him. Lamar probably faces the same situation although he wants to risk playing. That's Lamar's personal decision which is the only thing that makes it right. JA's right in his decision for himself...

No, unlike Alexander I'll be in Jacksonville. All the games have been meaningless since they lost to Clemson. Under your theory why did he bother playing against UK ? it was a pretty meaningless game

Its called situation and circumstance.

The SuCkS game secured an 8th win which secured the Gator bowl instead of a
worse bowl.

Now is the time for 2nd and 3rd stringers to go to 1st and 2nd string. Its all yours
mentality. No one in front of them.

It' his choice. His life You should respect that.

We talking about football man.....don't confuse me with economics!

Just play the game.....the $$$ will come in time. Prove you are durable, loyal, with valued skills, with heart and pride. Oh....that is old school you say.....well, yes it is. If you get hurt.....you still have a degree to utilize...if you were smart enough to graduate that is. If you are a junior....well, night school is still available so I hear.

SARCASM

I'm not going this far even though I have no problem with a player sitting out who's expected to be a high draft pick. It's up to the player as far as I"m concerned, and I have no problem with that decision either way...

Lamar is in a precarious position.

Mel kiper keeps going on about Lamar being drafted as a receiver. A position he has
NEVER played. He gets hurt and he falls to the 6th or 7th rounds.
Its time for Jawon Pass.

Lamar is in a precarious position.

Mel kiper keeps going on about Lamar being drafted as a receiver. A position he has
NEVER played. He gets hurt and he falls to the 6th or 7th rounds.
Its time for Jawon Pass.

Lamar Jackson is the most polarizing player in the Draft...Mel and Todd are down on him...CBS & Daniel Jeremiah over on NFL.com/NFL Network are higher on him-(Jeremiah compares him to Vick and Jeremiah worked with Vick when he was in the Eagles Front Office)....every Mock outside of ESPN has him between 2nd and 12th Overall...

Also, Remember Mel somehow thought Jimmy Clausen and Blaine Gabbert were 1st Round/Franchise QB-(in Blaine case the equal to Cam Newton)....

FYI....CBS Sports has Lamar Jackson as the 7th Best Overall Prospect...Jaire Alexander as the 36th Best Overall Prospect right behind Baker Mayfield...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2018/all

Last edited:
It's about risk and reward, and your remarks only address risk. The rewards for most kids playing are (1) improving your pro potential, and (2) solidifying your position for next year if you have eligibility available or plan to return.

JA views that neither #1 or #2 is relevant for him. Lamar probably faces the same situation although he wants to risk playing. That's Lamar's personal decision which is the only thing that makes it right. JA's right in his decision for himself...

Well stated...

Lamar Jackson is the most polarizing player in the Draft...Mel and Todd are down on him...CBS & Daniel Jeremiah over on NFL.com/NFL Network are higher on him-(Jeremiah compares him to Vick and Jeremiah worked with Vick when he was in the Eagles Front Office)....every Mock outside of ESPN has him between 2nd and 12th Overall...

Also, Remember Mel somehow thought Jimmy Clausen and Blaine Gabbert were 1st Round/Franchise QB-(in Blaine case the equal to Cam Newton)....

FYI....CBS Sports has Lamar Jackson as the 7th Best Overall Prospect...Jaire Alexander as the 36th Best Overall Prospect right behind Baker Mayfield...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2018/all

If Lamar throws at the combine, it will answer alot of questions.
Cleveland is all but sold on Rosen so he can avoid that dumpster fire.

If Lamar throws at the combine, it will answer alot of questions.
Cleveland is all but sold on Rosen so he can avoid that dumpster fire.

Rosen is the only QB that I would put in his class...he has special arm talent...Josh Allen love...just don’t see it...would love to see LJ with Bruce Arians in Arizona or New Orleans with Sean Payton and sitting behind for a year with Drew Brees

BTW, If the Cleveland owner get out of the way and allows their new GM to do his job...they will be fine..they are looking at two Top 5 Picks and 6 of the Top 65 picks with $100 Million in Cap Space...no excuse for them...

Last edited:
Reactions: KerryRhodes

worse bowl.

Now is the time for 2nd and 3rd stringers to go to 1st and 2nd string. Its all yours

So getting a better meaningless game was the goal? Yes - it's his choice to walk out on his team but I don't have to respect someone who quits.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
So getting a better meaningless game was the goal? Yes - it's his choice to walk out on his team but I don't have to respect someone who quits.

His teammates at Louisville don’t feel that way...they apparently support him including Lamar...this is a you problem...get use to it...Looks like UCLA QB Josh Rosen is doing the same...protecting his future by not playing in a meaningless post season winter exhibition game...

His teammates at Louisville don’t feel that way...they apparently support him including Lamar...this is a you problem...get use to it...Looks like UCLA QB Josh Rosen is doing the same...protecting his future by not playing in a meaningless post season winter exhibition game...
His teammates aren't paying thousands of dollars either.

They need to get used to emptier seats as people learn that most approx 5 games a year are meaningless.

Reactions: teamcanada
His teammates aren't paying thousands of dollars either.

They need to get used to emptier seats as people learn that most approx 5 games a year are meaningless.

No....they are just putting their long health-(CTE) on the line for a opportunity for a higher level education that is only guaranteed on a year to year basis...they can always lose their scholarships at the end of the year for no reason.

They have more skin in the game literally than any fan and I can’t blame Jaire Alexander, Connor Williams, Derwin James, Royce Freeman, Josh Rosen this year and Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffery last year for doing what they are doing and their teammates support them.

Last edited:
No....they are just putting their long health-(CTE) on the line for a opportunity for a higher level education that is only guaranteed on a year to year basis...they can always lose their scholarships at the end of the year for no reason.

They have more skin in the game literally than any fan and I can’t blame Jaire Alexander, Connor Williams, Derwin James, Royce Freeman, Josh Rosen this year and Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffery last year for doing what they are doing and their teammates support them.
How do you know his teammates support him? I would have been PO'd if the guy who is supposed to be the leader of my defense took a walk one week before we were supposed to play the last game of the year. To say the game is no more meaningful than the Spring game is nothing but spin.

It is out there...and pretty well known they support his decision..you can be mad all you want...his teammates don't have that attitude and my guess is if/when Josh Rosen sits out at UCLA in the Cactus Bowl his teammates will not be upset either and he is their leader/QB...FYI...my daughter knows Members of the Team including Jaire....tifwiw...

Last edited:
It is out there...and pretty well known they support his decision..you can be mad all you want...his teammates don't have that attitude and my guess is if/when Josh Rosen sits out at UCLA in the Cactus Bowl his teammates will not be upset either and he is their leader/QB...FYI...my daughter knows Members of the Team including Jaire....tifwiw...
If you have ever played team sports and we’re a team player, no you are not going to call out a teammate for putting himself before his team. Definitely not publicly. But human nature is something else. If a coworker did that I guarantee most people would not like it privately.

Hopefully UofL gets a 4 touchdown lead at the half so Lamar can get out of there.
I reiterate, he gets hurt, he can't work out for pro scouts. He drops to the 4th rounds
and lower.

Next man up. Prime opportunity.
Majority of Cards Nation are behind Jaire, on this.

Last edited:
They simply don't post on social media. They don't show support disingenuously...

Last edited:
Reactions: The Public Enemy
Hopefully UofL gets a 4 touchdown lead at the half so Lamar can get out of there.
I reiterate, he gets hurt, he can't work out for pro scouts. He drops to the 4th rounds
and lower.

Next man up. Prime opportunity.
Majority of Cards Nation is behind Jaire on this.

Get through the Bowl game healthy for Lamar...then for him head to the Combine Facilities of his choosing to prepare for the next phase...

For Louisville as you said....hopefully get a healthy lead and let Jawon Pass get reps for the 2018 opener against Alabama....Louisville will have the likely #1 and #2 Teams in the Country on their schedule...Bama and Clemson....

Reactions: zipp
Get through the Bowl game healthy for Lamar...then for him head to the Combine Facilities of his choosing to prepare for the next phase...

For Louisville as you said....hopefully get a healthy lead and let Jawon Pass get reps for the 2018 opener against Alabama....Louisville will have the likely #1 and #2 Teams in the Country on their schedule...Bama and Clemson....

Clemson beats Bana, they'll be number 1 next year.

Reactions: gocds
I think our fans underestimate how much these other kids wanna be in Jaire's shoes...
Yep but the reality is over 50% of college football players think they will play professionally but only something like 3% make it. You play football or any sport for the love of the game. Yeah I think LJ may think he has to prove something but he will tell you he loves playing football. When it ceases to be fun and you only play for money it’s not a game it’s a business.

UCLA QB Josh Rosen in defense of players that are skipping their Bowl Games...

Rosen compared his situation as a quarterback to that of running backs who have received criticism for deciding to skip their team's bowl games in previous years, such as Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette.

"For them it's not an issue of if they're getting hurt, it's an issue of how severe, because most of those guys get banged up to some extent every single game," Rosen said. "Quarterback is unique — we'll take a few licks here and there, but nothing like the beating those guys take."

Rosen went on to explain that he felt many didn't think about all the reasons players might have for making such a decision.

"A lot of people bash them, but some of them have to realize that some of these guys have families, some of these guys have kids. Some of these guys really have to support the people around them. Some of them maybe have been put in unfortunate circumstances where they can't afford to be in school for another year. They might want to...If they feel like they've locked in their future earnings to take care of their kids, or families, sisters, brothers, whatever, then I think people should really look into their story and see how football is affecting their life."

http://www.businessinsider.com/josh-rosen-defends-players-who-sit-out-bowl-games-2017-12

Rosen compared his situation as a quarterback to that of running backs who have received criticism for deciding to skip their team's bowl games in previous years, such as Christian McCaffrey and Leonard Fournette.

"For them it's not an issue of if they're getting hurt, it's an issue of how severe, because most of those guys get banged up to some extent every single game," Rosen said. "Quarterback is unique — we'll take a few licks here and there, but nothing like the beating those guys take."

Rosen went on to explain that he felt many didn't think about all the reasons players might have for making such a decision.

"A lot of people bash them, but some of them have to realize that some of these guys have families, some of these guys have kids. Some of these guys really have to support the people around them. Some of them maybe have been put in unfortunate circumstances where they can't afford to be in school for another year. They might want to...If they feel like they've locked in their future earnings to take care of their kids, or families, sisters, brothers, whatever, then I think people should really look into their story and see how football is affecting their life."

http://www.businessinsider.com/josh-rosen-defends-players-who-sit-out-bowl-games-2017-12
How is that any different than any other college football player? They all have families. They have futures that probably depend on their health. Think about the guys who won’t make a living playing football but sacrificed their health for these guys? Sounds like anyone who plays football, takes a hit is subject to CTE.

worse bowl.

But it’s just a meaningless exhibition, right? What difference does it make which bowl game we play in? In fact, all the games are exhibitions, aren’t they?

There is still 1 game left in the season meaningless or not. He's not playing because he's scared of getting hurt. Ergo he quit on the team no matter how you want to spin it.
You don’t make much sense. His teammates are 1,000% behind him!!! As far as Lamar is concerned, he doesn’t have more to loose than Jaire. Jaire will play 6-8 years in the NFL as a cover man. The jury is still out on Lamar as an NFL QB. Jaire will run a low 4.4 at the combine and be a late 1st round pick! His film from last year’s elite receiver from Clemson, along with this year’s games is more than enough!

If ANYBODY can’t get by on $5-10 mil (Ins policy) they’re dumbasses.

Yeah he will make more playing. Probably.

But the insurance policy keeps him from selling cars/insurance or flipping burgers.

If ANYBODY can’t get by on $5-10 mil (Ins policy) they’re dumbasses.

Yeah he will make more playing. Probably.

But the insurance policy keeps him from selling cars/insurance or flipping burgers.
What policy have seen that oats out that much? You’re reaching bro!!! Lol

I don't use social media so I can't verify this. But reportedly, JA's teammates on social media since yesterday's announcement have broadly supported his decision...
Since when do you use "reportedly" as good enough to back a position ?? Thought you demanded stats and data to even start a conversation ?

Reactions: nccardfan
What policy have seen that oats out that much? You’re reaching bro!!! Lol
They can actually get a $20 million insurance policy and I believe the rule has been changed where the university can now pay for it.. I heard Marquis Maybin talking about it one day..

Funny how this story left out the fact that Rosen is ineligible to play anyway because he failed the concussion protocol..

Between concussion protocol, the targeting call, and quitting seasons early, we may not have a game to bitch about before long.

I found life after NASCAR, and the NFL.

CFB will be no different. :confused:

Actually the story is about Rosen Defending players that sit out...not so much about his own issues...
Depends on which story you read.. The first story that came out just said he was sitting out the bowl game with no mention of a concussion, the next story came out putting it out there that he was ineligible because he failed the concussion protocol.. Then he comes out and defends guys sitting out..

Doesn't matter to me what his opinion is anyway, he's just a kid going to college for free living the dream and he'll probably be a millionaire soon. I'm the guy buying tickets and making donations and expect a good product on the field. Like Rollem said, I've given up other sports and still get by just fine.

One other thing of note that Rollem said, concerning NASCAR, they were on top of the world not long ago and now race in 1/2 to 3/4 empty tracks, that started gradually because people were getting discontent and the powers that be didn't pay attention. Same thing is starting to show in college sports, even in Ky basketball and Alabama football... Middle-aged people are the ones attending and paying the bills in all sports, and they're getting fed up.. I could take the money I spend on UofL sports in a years time and take 2 or 3 lengthy vacations to Fiji and sit at a tiki bar and watch scantily clad women on the beach all day.. When you get middle-aged it's not that hard to make transition and never look back

Depends on which story you read.. The first story that came out just said he was sitting out the bowl game with no mention of a concussion, the next story came out putting it out there that he was ineligible because he failed the concussion protocol.. Then he comes out and defends guys sitting out..

Doesn't matter to me what his opinion is anyway, he's just a kid going to college for free living the dream and he'll probably be a millionaire soon. I'm the guy buying tickets and making donations and expect a good product on the field. Like Rollem said, I've given up other sports and still get by just fine.

One other thing of note that Rollem said, concerning NASCAR, they were on top of the world not long ago and now race in 1/2 to 3/4 empty tracks, that started gradually because people were getting discontent and the powers that be didn't pay attention. Same thing is starting to show in college sports, even in Ky basketball and Alabama football... Middle-aged people are the ones attending and paying the bills in all sports, and they're getting fed up.. I could take the money I spend on UofL sports in a years time and take 2 or 3 lengthy vacations to Fiji and sit at a tiki bar and watch scantily clad women on the beach all day.. When you get middle-aged it's not that hard to make transition and never look back

Hmmmmmmmm, those Fiji vacations with the tiki bar deal sounds pretty good. I do have to wonder if they have HD TV’s in the bar that’ll show UofL sports though. :p

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT