ADVERTISEMENT

Jaire Alexander sitting out bowl, declares for draft

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
Not surprised at all by this. To be honest, many insiders were surprised he played this year at all after he got hurt the second time. I think he and his family realized they needed some film this year to get a decent draft grade, thus he came back. He got what he needed and is out now. It sucks as a fan but I don't begrudge him or any other player doing this though unless they are in the CFP.

Can't/don't blame him at all. He's a commodity now; can't risk damaging the merchandise before the big auction. Best wishes to you Jaire!

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Well, he choose what he wants to be remembered for at UofL.

For his sake, I hope this decision turns out better for him than the bone headed one he injured himself on in the Purdue game.

Good fortune to you....and thanks for all the great memories on the field and in your commitment to your fellow Cardinal teammates.

I am sure they do appreciate being graced by your presence and great talent each and every day. Except for now on. Leaders lead and followers follow.

Hope you get drafted by a good team.

I’m not qualified to answer if Jaire’s decision is right or wrong. Better to ask his teammates that have sweat along side him, especially the ones who have little chance of playing professionally.

In the end, it’s his call but I’d be interested to hear what his Cardinal brothers honestly think.

Please...he didn't quit on anyone...Bowl Games are just exhibition games now...he more than satisfied his obligations ...just wish him well
I’ll wish what I want thank you.

He’s 2nd rd at best. Where does it end? A shot at free agency deserves to quit?

LJ has a hellava lot more to lose, and so far he’s playing.

JA spent more time on the pine than the field here it seems. Yesterday he was a Card.

Today he’s nothing but another rich guy, maybe, to me.

Merry Christmas.

I’m not qualified to answer if Jaire’s decision is right or wrong. Better to ask his teammates that have sweat along side him, especially the ones who have little chance of playing professionally.

In the end, it’s his call but I’d be interested to hear what his Cardinal brothers honestly think.
Good point, and I'd bet they're 100% behind him. In fact, the backups are probably glad...

I’ll wish what I want thank you.

He’s 2nd rd at best. Where does it end? A shot at free agency deserves to quit?

LJ has a hellava lot more to lose, and so far he’s playing.

JA spent more time on the pine than the field here it seems. Yesterday he was a Card.

Today he’s nothing but another rich guy, maybe, to me.

Merry Christmas.

Your post proves my point...to you even as a Card him and the rest are just entertainers to you...if his teammates don't have a issue neither do I.

And you know darn well LJ or any QB cant be the first to do this....I just hope that the FSU & Texas fans have more class than some UofL fans since Derwin James and Conner Williams are also sitting out their Bowl Games

Last edited:
Please...he didn't quit on anyone...Bowl Games are just exhibition games now...he more than satisfied his obligations ...just wish him well
There is still 1 game left in the season meaningless or not. He's not playing because he's scared of getting hurt. Ergo he quit on the team no matter how you want to spin it.

Is any game where you aren’t getting paid “meaningless”?
Should players who quit be asked to refund a percentage of the grant-in-aid, cost of attendance, etc.?
I don’t know the answers, but they seem to be fair questions.

There is still 1 game left in the season meaningless or not. He's not playing because he's scared of getting hurt. Ergo he quit on the team no matter how you want to spin it.

It is meaningless...if his teammates dont mind sure don't mind and I'm pretty sure Fournette at LSU, McCaffery at Stanford and this year with Williams at Texas, James at FSU, Freeman at Oregon and now Alexander here dont mind either

Youre just mad that he isnt playing for your entertainment Pro Bono anymore

Last edited:
As for Jaire...I wish him nothing but the best and really hopes he knocks it Out of the Park in the Pre Draft Process...played injured this year and had some signature plays for Louisville the past 3 years...IMO at this point he has to do what he feels that is best for himself and only IMO has to answer to his Teammates here...not the fans or Alums whether they like it or not...the fans aren’t the ones putting their bodies on the line...

These guys are our players. We support them. Jaire gave us his all for 3 years. We can give a little back to him.

It doesn't matter to me either way. Like I said spin it however you want he quit.

He made a decision that benefited his long term future.

I don't have a problem with that. It's not like Jaire invented this movement. It's happening.

Not surprised at all by this. To be honest, many insiders were surprised he played this year at all after he got hurt the second time. I think he and his family realized they needed some film this year to get a decent draft grade, thus he came back. He got what he needed and is out now. It sucks as a fan but I don't begrudge him or any other player doing this though unless they are in the CFP.
I am somewhat surprised, since I thought he had to do more to prove the injury didn't diminish his capability.

It doesn't matter to me either way. Like I said spin it however you want he quit.

And I guess you’re going to give he and his family a bunch of money if he were to get injured in our bowl game and potentially ruined his professional career? Naaaa, I didn’t think so. Good luck to this young man and I just hope he doesn’t give up on his academic success and comes back someday to get his degree.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

...to you even as a Card him and the rest are just entertainers to you...
Yes they are.

As is George Clooney, Bruce Springsteen, or Lady Ga Ga, et al.

What they do, or what happens to them does not effect me.

Yeah, I'd be "sorry" if something bad happened, but I'd go out to dinner tonight, meet with friends, and have a good time.

Just as you would.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
No problem with this at all and my guess is his teammates are happy for him. I wouldn't let him do a pep talk or talk to the team before the game but I would encourage him to come a be a vocal supporter on the sidelines.

This will never happen but I would allow redshirt freshman to play in bowl games without impacting their eligibility timeline. Bowl games for seniors are a reward but the rest of the team it is prepping next year. Spring games should become scrimmages against EKU, Murray, WKU.

This will never happen but I would allow redshirt freshman to play in bowl games without impacting their eligibility timeline.

1. It appears his teammates have no issue with him sitting out at all and are supportive of his decision

2. This idea has come up as recently as last year...it makes sense ...

This is an issue that is clearly what’s wrong with college athletics. It goes against everything you were told about being a team player and you don’t quit on your teammates, period. It’s not Jaires fault, it’s the bowl system that now says every bowl game except the CFP doesn’t have any meaning. Sure Jaire is taking a risk playing one more game, hell, he knows every time he steps on the field he’s taking a risk. Shit he might blow a knee in NFL workouts or training camp. Wish him the best but I wouldn’t want him on the sideline with me.

Reactions: teamcanada

You couldn't be a more clueless clown.

This is a meaningless, winter practice game.

If anyone quit, it is you-Cards fano_O

Lamar should also sit out.

I have a bigger issue with coaches leaving a school before the bowl game and the school they are going to encouraging that behavior. In essence the schools themselves are deemphazing the bowl games. Miss State will be playing without its head coach and d coordinator. Does anyone think they are going to be prepared to play this game?

I gotta a feeling if your Steelers don’t take a QB in the 1st Round That Jaire will be in the Black & Gold...

From CBS sports draft

29. Pittsburgh Steelers

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville. Had Alexander not been banged up in this final season at Louisville, there's a good chance he would've had a monster year. His smoothness in coverage coupled with his awareness when the ball is in the air make him a top-flight cornerback prospect in this class.

I have a bigger issue with coaches leaving a school before the bowl game and the school they are going to encouraging that behavior. In essence the schools themselves are deemphazing the bowl games. Miss State will be playing without its head coach and d coordinator. Does anyone think they are going to be prepared to play this game?

Exactly why I'm not excited about this game.
If the Bulldog players are malaise, the Cards players will go thru the motion,
and its a boring, winter practice game.

Lamar should sit this game out.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
And I guess you’re going to give he and his family a bunch of money if he were to get injured in our bowl game and potentially ruined his professional career? Naaaa, I didn’t think so. Good luck to this young man and I just hope he doesn’t give up on his academic success and comes back someday to get his degree.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
That's why you get an insurance policy.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
You couldn't be a more clueless clown.

This is a meaningless, winter practice game.

If anyone quit, it is you-Cards fano_O

Lamar should also sit out.
No, unlike Alexander I'll be in Jacksonville. All the games have been meaningless since they lost to Clemson. Under your theory why did he bother playing against UK ? it was a pretty meaningless game

It's not the fact that he's not playing in the bowl game and entering the draft. It's how he went about it. Everyone was told, publicly, after he got his draft grade, that he was still playing in the bowl game and they were going to make a decision afterwards. Then, a few days later and this comes out. That's not something that I find okay to do to the coaches, teammates, etc.

Reactions: nccardfan
...Lamar should sit this game out.
I'm not going this far even though I have no problem with a player sitting out who's expected to be a high draft pick. It's up to the player as far as I"m concerned, and I have no problem with that decision either way...

With the logic that it is a meaningless game......they should all sit out.....really, why even play this game? They could get hurt....all of them.

They could get hurt on the airplane trip down, or in the bus ride to the game....hell, they could even get hurt in the locker room....slip and fall, etc, etc.

Where does this sissiness/silliness end? IDK.....but it won't be long before I will no longer care.....and I will use my time to do other things.....things that I won't get hurt over doing....or spend my money that goes to UofL, to TV/ESPN or at the city hosting the bowl game.

It will no longer matter to me. Such BS....that is the sign of the times. To that I say....only if it is accepted/enabled by the paying fans.

Fans will start taking a stand with their MONEY.....and the golden goose for the FB players and CFB as we know it will change too....just not in a good way.

SARCASM, bazinga.

ADVERTISEMENT