ADVERTISEMENT

Jaelyn Withers

If you watch some of his highlights, he shoots the NBA 3 with ease. Can score at the rim, post up, a lot of things. He is very very good with NBA potential. He’s very under the radar but will get heavily noticed this summer. That’s why he’ll jump a ton.

Good thing he looks like he’s headed our way!

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
At this point in Mack's tenure its hard to be anything more than excited whenever he gets a kid, regardless of rank because we don't really know how well he can recruit yet, being a new coach and trying to rebuild ULs brand and we also haven't seen him develop anyone yet but we do know that he has turned a number of moderate ranked guards into draft picks.

At this point in Mack's tenure its hard to be anything more than excited whenever he gets a kid, regardless of rank because we don't really know how well he can recruit yet, being a new coach and trying to rebuild ULs brand and we also haven't seen him develop anyone yet but we do know that he has turned a number of moderate ranked guards into draft picks.
Actually, this should be the ceiling on kids Mack should be recruiting.

Top 30 kids are all a risk for the time being, until the OAD rule is abolished. And if he's a good coach, a roster of kids ranked 50-100 are all the talent we need...

Actually, this should be the ceiling on kids Mack should be recruiting.

Top 30 kids are all a risk for the time being, until the OAD rule is abolished. And if he's a good coach, a roster of kids ranked 50-100 are all the talent we need...
I agree with this. Usually I think you are a little extreme with respect to recruiting, but if we can cherry pick guys from the top 50-75 I really don’t care about Top 20 talent. Here’s hoping we fill out the ‘19 class with some of these players.

I think with Mack you're going to see class rankings similar to Pitinos but with different types of kids.

Mack goes after bigger guards that seem to be able to handle the ball and do multiple things instead of having a single PG dominate the ball. He's known for developing players and giving his guys more freedom on offense than Rick did so it should be a little more enticing to play in as a system.

Mack without a doubt has a style and system on both offense and defense that is very well planned and hammered into his players so he'll likely go after kids that fit his system mentally as well as physically and he's known for developing underrated kids so we'll probably see some sub-100 kids and 3 star kids that he takes a shot at developing as well. Because his defense is similar to Bennett's at UVA he'll likely go after team-first kids that can take direction and coaching and work well together as a unit.

I'll be curious to see if he goes after elite kids now that he's at a program that's more likely to land them than Xavier.

Where I'll miss the former coach's style is on defense. Loved the press, 40 minutes of smothering defense and wearing down the opponent.

Reactions: Chapman123 and zipp
Where I'll miss the former coach's style is on defense. Loved the press, 40 minutes of smothering defense and wearing down the opponent.

You're going to see a version of UVAs defense. Mack's style is basically UVAs defense but with free flowing and fast paced offense.

You're going to see a version of UVAs defense. Mack's style is basically UVAs defense but with free flowing and fast paced offense.

UVAs defense is as effective as it is because of its offense. The the combo of the defensive scheme and time burning offense shorten games and makes teams make more mistakes because they know possessions will be limited. If there is one question about Mack its whether his defense will be up to the task. Xavier hasn't been a great defensive team under him.

UVAs defense is as effective as it is because of its offense. The the combo of the defensive scheme and time burning offense shorten games and makes teams make more mistakes because they know possessions will be limited. If there is one question about Mack its whether his defense will be up to the task. Xavier hasn't been a great defensive team under him.

Thats a good point. I've always found it curious that Mack has this reputation of being this detail oriented, hard nosed coach that teaches and develops kids but he's never really had a great defensive team. In my mind tough, physical, detail oriented coaches and great team defense go hand-in-hand but that may just be me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT