ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Payton

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I've been leary of making my opinion on Payton's catching for awhile now, but I think it's pretty clear his MLB future needs a position change.

To start, he hasn't had to work well with pitchers because the pitches are called from the dugout. Pro scouts really don't know what to expect with Payton on this aspect of catching.

Secondly, he's not very accurate or strong throwing the ball to second base. He's had several off throws into center field this season. He's alright and not a liability, but he's no Henry Davis or Will Smith. He's also not thrown the ball consistently to first base on bunts, etc..

Now as a hitter, he's got huge potential at the next level. I just don't see him behind the plate. It will interesting if he plays some outfield once he's drafted?

As for his college career I'm sure he will remain behind the plate. He just needs to shore up his throwing the ball.

I agree not a MLB catcher. Doesn’t have a rocket for an arm. Screams left field but not athletic enough for the outfield.

So he's not Henry Davis or Will Smith? Who is? I think Jack has been battling some issues and for a catcher who has to squat all game, if you're hammies are tight, you don't have the explosiveness to come out of your stance like you should. We are loaded with outfielders and there are several candidates for DH. You still need his bat in the lineup. He needs a consistent hitter behind him so teams have to pitch to him.

Reactions: earsky
I think he is fine. He is, IMO, trying to carry the load of ‘leader’ for this squad. He can’t always be 100%. He made a significant error last night that is highly unusual. You want your guy to be at the plate with two outs and bases loaded. He just got beat by phenomenal pitcher.

Reactions: 2330859 and earsky
I've thought about Payton as a catcher all season. I just assumed he was going to be as good defensively as prior star catchers here, but it's just not the case.

It's not really about errors alone, he just isn't consistent throwing the ball and blocking pitches in the dirt. I think he's good enough at the college level, but I just don't see it at the MLB level. Maybe I'm wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT