ADVERTISEMENT

It's No Mystery...

May 29, 2022
Over the summer, I was asked to research the University finances--as opposed to athletics--by a person who runs a small, local nonprofit. My initial reply was that I don't track U of L finances overall nearly as closely as I do athletics, and I couldn't comment on what I would find.

As opposed to the athletic department only, it is much easier to locate public accounting reports on US universities. You don't have to rely on the NCAA or use non-GAAP accounting. They all get publicly audited and publish numbers that have a high degree of credibility.

What I discovered shouldn't have surprised me knowing what I know about U of L athletics. For this discussion, I prepared a couple of revenue charts showing public universities in the ACC and how their revenues have changed between 2017 and 2023, the most recent published numbers. The current U of L administration took the reins in 2016, after James Ramsey resigned in July of that year. So FY2017 was the first year since his ouster.

Revenue-Graphs.jpg

Total revenue (the left chart) contains all sources of revenue for the university. Operating revenue is essentially tuition, room, and board along with whatever each university considers to be revenue generated just by being open for business. And of course, the actual numbers vary considerably among the schools shown. As one example, Virginia has five times the operating revenue of U of L--which also makes growing it by 30% over the indicated time frame pretty impressive.

I'm not looking at every year in between for every school, but it's possible that a nonrecurring event--like a big donation--could have an outsized effect on one year. The 2017 and 2023 endpoints are each a single data point. I did look at U of L's numbers for the entire span of time and dating back prior to 2017. Here's the U of L total revenue data since 2011.

U-of-L-Total-Revenue.jpg
2018 was a big drop from 2017, and revenue made a slight recovery in the next year or two. But it has since rolled over after adjusting for inflation and is now the lowest it has been since 2017.

I've long maintained that athletics has a major problem managing its finances, and that really isn't a mystery considering that the University overall appears to have a similar problem. You can't argue it's Covid or related to some other macro factor when all of the ACC schools manage in the same environment.

And I've heard recent talk from our administration that our problem is expenses and not revenues. That's a convenient argument when you consider who is supposed to drive what. Lack of revenue is an administration problem primarily. Of course, when you don't have revenue, you have to trim expenses. So why don't we have the revenue we used to and while other schools still do?...

Over the summer, I was asked to research the University finances--as opposed to athletics--by a person who runs a small, local nonprofit. My initial reply was that I don't track U of L finances overall nearly as closely as I do athletics, and I couldn't comment on what I would find.

As opposed to the athletic department only, it is much easier to locate public accounting reports on US universities. You don't have to rely on the NCAA or use non-GAAP accounting. They all get publicly audited and publish numbers that have a high degree of credibility.

What I discovered shouldn't have surprised me knowing what I know about U of L athletics. For this discussion, I prepared a couple of revenue charts showing public universities in the ACC and how their revenues have changed between 2017 and 2023, the most recent published numbers. The current U of L administration took the reins in 2016, after James Ramsey resigned in July of that year. So FY2017 was the first year since his ouster.

Revenue-Graphs.jpg

Total revenue (the left chart) contains all sources of revenue for the university. Operating revenue is essentially tuition, room, and board along with whatever each university considers to be revenue generated just by being open for business. And of course, the actual numbers vary considerably among the schools shown. As one example, Virginia has five times the operating revenue of U of L--which also makes growing it by 30% over the indicated time frame pretty impressive.

I'm not looking at every year in between for every school, but it's possible that a nonrecurring event--like a big donation--could have an outsized effect on one year. The 2017 and 2023 endpoints are each a single data point. I did look at U of L's numbers for the entire span of time and dating back prior to 2017. Here's the U of L total revenue data since 2011.

U-of-L-Total-Revenue.jpg
2018 was a big drop from 2017, and revenue made a slight recovery in the next year or two. But it has since rolled over after adjusting for inflation and is now the lowest it has been since 2017.

I've long maintained that athletics has a major problem managing its finances, and that really isn't a mystery considering that the University overall appears to have a similar problem. You can't argue it's Covid or related to some other macro factor when all of the ACC schools manage in the same environment.

And I've heard recent talk from our administration that our problem is expenses and not revenues. That's a convenient argument when you consider who is supposed to drive what. Lack of revenue is an administration problem primarily. Of course, when you don't have revenue, you have to trim expenses. So why don't we have the revenue we used to and while other schools still do?...
Thank you, Walter Mitty.

Is grant money included in revenues? If so, the powerhouse research institutions realize a big advantage there, and you see Virginia, Berkley, GT, and VT high in the rankings. FSU is interesting, as they are not generally considered in a class with the aforementioned schools academically. I also wonder about tuition. UofL has kept theirs pretty steady, I think. Have the other schools? Pitt surprises me. I would have expected better performance from them.

Grant money is generally in the nonoperating or other income category. It doesn't appear in the operating numbers, the bar chart on the right in the pair presented.

These comparisons are not just school-to-school but also within each school. That is, did their own revenues increase or decrease?

Unless you know something about college grants increasing at a significant rate, none of these schools should have been affected by that alone.

The info is from published financial reports, so if you want to delve deeper into the line item(s) for grant money, it's easy to do...

Missing line graph/bad link in OP. Not sure what's happening. The graph appears in the draft but not the post. It simply shows that 2017 and 2023 are not outliers in the U of L series of data.

@Guardman you still making your way to the free side of the pay wall?...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT