ADVERTISEMENT

It's hard to fathom how little fans know...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...about a fix to a problem, athletics related anyway.
  • "Anyone's better than Grantham."
  • "We need to get Mike Summers back to fix our O-line."
  • "Anyone's better than Peter Sirmon."
  • "Can't wait to get back to playing 'Bobby Ball'."
Someone please remind me of these recent examples--just in football--when I start discussing solutions to our problems on the field or court. It's so much wasted effort...

Someone please remind me of these recent examples--just in football--when I start discussing solutions to our problems on the field or court. It's so much wasted effort...
You're absolutely right. I for one never understood the Todd Grantham hate. Hes a legit DC. Keep in mind though...we are just dumb fans and just talk sh$t. Luckily we dont get paid to make these decisions. But I get your point and it's right.

Reactions: zipp
Really

Reactions: wilkie01
You're absolutely right. I for one never understood the Todd Grantham hate. Hes a legit DC. Keep in mind though...we are just dumb fans and just talk sh$t. Luckily we dont get paid to make these decisions. But I get your point and it's right.

Offenses figured him out in the end. Houston, UK, LSU, to close out 2016. Clemson put up 42 on his defense weeks before that. He was a good DC for a while.

I should have added "...when we take ourselves too seriously".

We all have our opinions--Lord knows I have mine. But a few too many here get married to and stress out over what they are convinced is a solution to a problem. Good to reflect sometimes how stupid or misguided we are proven to be...

Reactions: kentuckyshame

We all have our opinions--Lord knows I have mine. But a few too many here get married to and stress out over what they are convinced is a solution to a problem. Good to reflect sometimes how stupid or misguided we are proven to be...
We are fans. It's almost like a brotherhood. Too many people get offended and yes, take themselves way too serious. We all have opinions and mine is almost always wrong. This is why I'm not the AD and get paid the big bucks . However, I'll be the first one to talk sh%t and pretend I know what I'm talking about. Hindsight is always 20 20. Some on here can dish it out and can take it. Most cant. Zipp you can, and that's what I like about you.

Reactions: wilkie01 and zipp
Offenses figured him out in the end. Houston, UK, LSU, to close out 2016. Clemson put up 42 on his defense weeks before that. He was a good DC for a while.
I dont care what anyone says. Sermon couldnt hold his jock. Van G is an improvement. It's hard to tell how good he is when our offense sucks as bad as it does.

I dont care what anyone says. Sermon couldnt hold his jock. Van G is an improvement. It's hard to tell how good he is when our offense sucks as bad as it does.

I’m not defending Sirmon. Not sure if serious about the rest of your post.

This is damning by faint praise, but I think Grantham was about as good a DC as Petrino has had ever had here. He certainly survived longer in the job although that's confounded by inheriting Strong's/Bedford's roster of players.

I can't tell enough about one guy for one year. When I hear "Sirmon sucked," I can't argue that our defense was good under him. I just don't know how much was due to him. Same story about BVG at this point although he's been working opposite an anemic offense that has to be considered.

Obviously, I can't argue much against any POV on the defense. It is unfortunately the part of the team I was most concerned about when Petrino returned based on his prior tenure...

Reactions: Chapman123
Grantham was the real deal. Sirmon was an utter disaster. One of the worst DC’s I’ve seen. Van Gorder is way better than Sirmon, but not as good as Grantham.

Besides his defense coaching ability, I think what we will miss most about Grantham was his ability to recruit. Grantham was/is a pretty good recruiter, which is something this team desperately needs.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
when did you ever start discussing solutions? Every post seems to take delight in our difficulties. If you have solutions, other than calling your fellow Card fans idiots, please share.

Yet Zipp, the prototypical average fan, believes he understands the inner workings of the athletic department, its finances and fundraising. That’s what gives him license to muse about how clueless the rest of you are.

Yet Zipp, the prototypical average fan, believes he understands the inner workings of the athletic department, its finances and fundraising. That’s what gives him license to muse about how clueless the rest of you are.
Actually, most of that stuff you list there's plenty of hard data for. No one has to guess what the situation is.

And I don't recall ever offering a solution for Tyra to get us outta the clown show mess, the one he voluntarily walked into with clown show approval. Quite honestly, I don't have a clue what he can do which makes it more fun watching...

when did you ever start discussing solutions? Every post seems to take delight in our difficulties. If you have solutions, other than calling your fellow Card fans idiots, please share.
I said "when I start".

You're right, I'm pretty good at knowing what I don't know--which probably does set me apart...

Grantham is a great DC IF he has the kind of players for his system. His system works great when he has 4 and 5 stars in the backfield. He brought Josh Harvey Clemons and Shaq Wiggins in with him. They could play on an island for the blitz packages. The Grantham type athletes weren't recruited here though. Grantham beat #5 LSU today. Yeah, he sucks

Grantham is a great DC IF he has the kind of players for his system. His system works great when he has 4 and 5 stars in the backfield. He brought Josh Harvey Clemons and Shaq Wiggins in with him. They could play on an island for the blitz packages. The Grantham type athletes weren't recruited here though. Grantham beat #5 LSU today. Yeah, he sucks

Grantham also has a two game losing streak to SuCkS. Enough with the revisionist history

It's not revisionist. He had a great run at UofL when he had JHC and Wiggins. They could play man on anyone freeing up blitzes.

Simply put, he has a system that needs studs in the backfield to work.

Most of the stress, for me at least, comes from taking a stance, putting yourself out there only for it to blow up in your face. For me, that was being such an avid Bobby supporter, just hoping and praying he’d eventually morph into his old self. It’s not happening. Im not gonna give up on him nor this team, but gonna slow it down defending him for awhile.

I think the zeitgeist around uofl football right now is just bad for everyone. There are factions amongst or fan base and all we’re doing is having pissing matches with each other. “These are the times that try men’s souls.” I just can only speak for myself when i say that i cant stop cheering for this team. I also cant stop cheering for Bobby while he is our coach.

Last edited:
Grantham WAS NOT FIRED HERE BECAUSE HE IS/WAS A BAD DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. Please get that through your collective thick skulls. He is an outstanding defensive coordinator. However he WAS fired because he was poison in our locker room. He was involved in the Wake Forest “playgate” situation. He was not being a good team member here at UofL and he was making over a million bucks a year and we also had his brother on staff at a healthy salary. Now we did not replace him well with Sirmon and we are now paying the price even though I believe our defense Iyoung at that) has played pretty well all things considered. Yes, I also believe something must be done with Bobby as his coaching has declined.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Graham was absolutely the best DC, but he was not a good recruiter at Louisville. Look at the Junior and Senior class on defense, a ton of misses and attrition. He had a mixture of Strong players and transfers, but he failed miserably in bringing in high school players. You can't miss in recruiting at Louisville. In 2016 they had little talented depth to run his system so when injuries started happening they looked terrible.

To make matters worst he hired Sermon out of nowhere, it is still a head scratcher. Then he bring in BVG who may not be a great recruiter either and if he misses out on the 2 4 Star defensive players in Louisville then mark it up as a problem. His style is very similar to Gratham it requires really good and smart athletes to run.
You miss recruiting in this kind of system it looks awful.

Ok, when will you start? And why do you take such pleasure in bad news for UL? I just don’t get it.

Ok, when will you start? And why do you take such pleasure in bad news for UL? I just don’t get it.
That's all just gross mischaracterization again.

I try to talk about things that are happening factually while analyzing them objectively. In this space among a handful of uber-optimistic fans beating that drum, my contributions often distill down to my looking at the other side of the coin. Just the opposite would happen if the narrative were dominated by uber-pessimists. Neither POV is accurate...

I don't post on here very often but I read most of the posts. Your one of those people that thinks he is smarter than anyone else. In reality you have no ideal how dumb you really are.
Well, help me with that please with your 8th post. I and the people here drowning me in "likes" would appreciate that help... :D

Grantham WAS NOT FIRED HERE BECAUSE HE IS/WAS A BAD DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. Please get that through your collective thick skulls. He is an outstanding defensive coordinator. However he WAS fired because he was poison in our locker room. He was involved in the Wake Forest “playgate” situation. He was not being a good team member here at UofL and he was making over a million bucks a year and we also had his brother on staff at a healthy salary. Now we did not replace him well with Sirmon and we are now paying the price even though I believe our defense Iyoung at that) has played pretty well all things considered. Yes, I also believe something must be done with Bobby as his coaching has declined.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
He was a “poison in the locker room” is a pretty strong statement - got anything specific or factual to support it?

That's all just gross mischaracterization again.

I try to talk about things that are happening factually while analyzing them objectively. In this space among a handful of uber-optimistic fans beating that drum, my contributions often distill down to my looking at the other side of the coin. Just the opposite would happen if the narrative were dominated by uber-pessimists. Neither POV is accurate...
Since you are an uber-pessimist, you would seem to be admitting that your own POV is not accurate. As I’ve pointed out before, most pessimists refer to themselves as “realists” because they would rather not be thought of as pessimists. Talking about things “factually” is fine, but ultimately useless if not used for a constructive purpose - such as suggesting solutions. Why examine reality factually and then just lament the state of affairs (or in your case, delight in it)?
What, then, is the way forward? I’d really like to know.

He was a “poison in the locker room” is a pretty strong statement - got anything specific or factual to support it?
I don’t know how he and Bobby got along, but I dispute that he was a great recruiter. Many of our defensive struggles now are due to deficiencies in recruiting during CTG’s tenure.

I don’t know how he and Bobby got along, but I dispute that he was a great recruiter. Many of our defensive struggles now are due to deficiencies in recruiting during CTG’s tenure.
I think that is a fair criticism of his time here.

Since you are an uber-pessimist, you would seem to be admitting that your own POV is not accurate. As I’ve pointed out before, most pessimists refer to themselves as “realists” because they would rather not be thought of as pessimists. Talking about things “factually” is fine, but ultimately useless if not used for a constructive purpose - such as suggesting solutions. Why examine reality factually and then just lament the state of affairs (or in your case, delight in it)?
What, then, is the way forward? I’d really like to know.
Reread my post...

I'm not uber-anything except rational, or an effort to be such, dosed with a healthy amount of suspicion and skepticism. And I enjoy the hell outta telling people what I think they need to hear.

Drives 'em crazy...

Reread my post...

I'm not uber-anything except rational, or an effort to be such, dosed with a healthy amount of suspicion and skepticism. And I enjoy the hell outta telling people what I think they need to hear.

Drives 'em crazy...
Still no solutions

I think somebody is very conceited. But alas the Emperor has no clothes on! In other words a person living in a glass house should not be throwing rocks to get attention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT