ADVERTISEMENT

It is not lack of talent that explains these performances

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
Blaming these performances on lack of talent is misdirected. This roster has a lot of talent, or perhaps better stated, there is a significant amount of individual skill that is clearly uncomfortable and ill-suited for this offense. Admittedly, the defensive capabilities for a number of these kids is sub par for this level of college basketbal, and those defensive woes clearly are contributing to the team’s poor performances.

Inconsistent focus and execution? Absolutely, as the inconsistency that I have witnessed from just about everyone on the roster except for Curry is unmistakable. What ever happened to Withers from last season cannot be assigned to moving from the 5 to the 4 and 3 roles, as last night’s performance was a lot more of an indication of having “checked out” mentally and physically.

Those of us who watch all 40 minutes of all of these games should agree that at times we have witnessed Ellis, Locke, Cross, Williamson, Davis, Williams, Faulkner and West exhibit periods of individual talent and efficiency that was both projected and anticipated. The problem has been total inconsistency, that are a direct result of unforced TOs, poor shooting percentages and lapses on defense.

Mack brought in a new staff, and this fast offense with transfers who were expected to fit this model. Clearly it has failed, and there is no evidence of improvement as this season continues to erode. Perhaps most disturbing is seeing the erosion of individual focus, effort and attitude that was magnified in last night’s performance.

One example of my point here, can be seen in the 2nd half performance by Ellis against MSU. When playing against arguably the most disciplined half court defense in America ……EL shredded it inside and out. He repeated some of that against Pitt. Is he talented …….absolutely, but is he consistent? Just like Cross, Locke, Williamson, Davis and Faulkner …… there have been some games where their individual talent has been clearly evident, and consistent with what they exhibited previously here and elsewhere.

I saw this at UK last season …….. exceptional talent, but completely void of any continuity and consistency from one game to another, or even from one moment to another. Even last night, there were a few stretches where individuals played at a very high level, only to fall apart with unforced TOs and open opportunities.

Whatever happened to that team that played in the Bahamas??????
You know the answer. Pegues vs Mack…. Was I surprised by Curry last night? Yeah, but not shocked. I saw some of that potential in the Bahamas but yet when Mack gets back, Curry is buried on the bench…

These teams that come to the yum see in our eyes the worry and apprehension and gain all kinds of confidence. NC State last night looked as relaxed and confident in what they do like they knew these guys in white were toast. Only Curry showed confidence for Louisville and the Pack couldn't stop him.

I think we all know Mack is a good coach but that may be when he has a known commodity. He apparently doesn't know how to fix player regression issues and it's getting worse as we go.

The best way for Louisville to play a good home game is when a highly ranked team comes in like Duke. The players would have that desperation to beat a good team and not this lackadaisical effort against fellow NIT teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT