ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the most important home game in the history of the program?

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
I say yes. The WVU blackout game ranks right up there, but there were a lot of Big East detractors at the time. I worked with a guy that was a grad and fan of a prominent B-10 school, and he said it was just two good offenses since both teams scored in the 40's.

This is different. There are no detractors. No one questions the legitimacy of the ACC or FSU.

This team can set it's path on destiny this weekend. Win and we're in the Playoff talk. Lose and we're still second tier ACC behind Clemson and FSU. Time to get over that hump!

Of course! Go undefeated and win the ACC, and we are in the playoffs - it's that simple.

As you mentioned, there was some "headwind" playing in the Big East. Even going undefeated in that conference was no guarantee that we play for a spot in the championship game - there was a chance that a one-loss SEC champion would be voted ahead of us.

Of course! Go undefeated and win the ACC, and we are in the playoffs - it's that simple.

As you mentioned, there was some "headwind" playing in the Big East. Even going undefeated in that conference was no guarantee that we play for a spot in the championship game - there was a chance that a one-loss SEC champion would be voted ahead of us.
If we go undefeated in the ACC and then win the ACC Championship, but get badly beaten (more than 10 points in convincing fashion) by Houston, do we will still get into the playoffs? I say 'no'. Mainly because the Houston game is so late in the season.

Depends on the outcome. If the Cardinals win, then it will be a watershed moment for the program as the dream of a national championship gets closer. If the Cardinals lose, then it will be a squandered opportunity. I'm not 100% confident we have the depth of talent needed to win this game, but we do have home field advantage and enough starting talent to make a run at them. I am concerned about quality depth. We'll see.

Reactions: zipp
If we go undefeated in the ACC and then win the ACC Championship, but get badly beaten (more than 10 points in convincing fashion) by Houston, do we will still get into the playoffs? I say 'no'. Mainly because the Houston game is so late in the season.

Any loss, whether in conference or not, puts you in jeopardy of not making the playoffs - as it should. It is certainly better to lose early than late - just ask the 2014 Ohio State team. But you can also ask that team how perilous it was to lose even one game - they had to hope the selection committee moved Ohio State ahead of TCU during the last vote in order to even get in.

It's a big time game, no question. Biggest in history? No. It's early in the season. Cards could lose, win out and still have a chance at the playoffs, depending on other factors. I think if Game Day weren't here, it'd be just another shot at FSU at home, with higher levels of excitement given the top ten rankings of the two teams. Game Day has made everyone go nuts (in a good way.)

We all had a 2006 friend making similar arguments I bet. In 2016, there may be no detractors but there's a good chance both teams score a lot of points. There were, what, 63 points scored in the game last year? +80 isn't an impossibility? Probably the days of arguing that two dominant offenses invalidated the quality of a game are over (esp. since both teams here still have very good D).

I say yes. The WVU blackout game ranks right up there, but there were a lot of Big East detractors at the time. I worked with a guy that was a grad and fan of a prominent B-10 school, and he said it was just two good offenses since both teams scored in the 40's.

This is different. There are no detractors. No one questions the legitimacy of the ACC or FSU.

This team can set it's path on destiny this weekend. Win and we're in the Playoff talk. Lose and we're still second tier ACC behind Clemson and FSU. Time to get over that hump!

I think the fact we're talking about this game as possibly the biggest in our history is a big time compliment to Florida State.

FSU is the measuring stick the rest of the conference members use to solidify their own place in the food chain. Actually when we really break it down, the Noles are the measuring stick for most D1 football programs regardless of conference affiliation. If we can win this game, it will be a huge step forward for the program. HUGE!

Yes, it is, but we have to win out and win The ACC Championship Game. If we do we will be in the National Championship Playoffs. A Louisville first.

Any loss, whether in conference or not, puts you in jeopardy of not making the playoffs - as it should. It is certainly better to lose early than late - just ask the 2014 Ohio State team. But you can also ask that team how perilous it was to lose even one game - they had to hope the selection committee moved Ohio State ahead of TCU during the last vote in order to even get in.
The possibly 'Saving Grace' to the possibility of winning the regular season and then the next week losing to Houston, is that if the Cards win the ACC Championship two weeks later, after losing to Houston, the fact that the ACC Championship Game will come two weeks later will be a 'big helpful assist' in the Playoff Committee's calculations.

But Houston would get 'seeded' well ahead of Louisville. So it would be up to Louisville to have demonstrated that they deserve a second chance to go against Houston in the Playoffs. Not very likely, but theoretically possible. It would mean that two of the four remaining P5 conferences (+ Notre Dame) are shut out from the Playoffs. Very Very Unlikely.

Reactions: PushupMan
This season they all are going to be big. Just stay focused players and fans.

The implications in recruiting might be the single most compelling reason to argue this is of such importance. We have had every advantage owing to a Thursday and then a Friday Night game this year. We had virtually no competition for TV eyes and ears. It will even apply this game with nothing happening elsewhere to keep people from watching what has become Must See College Football.

This overlarge visibility so early has captured imaginations of everyone - including recruits. We are, I believe, nearing a point where our recruiting selections will expand, including players calling us. A win Saturday is a second stage retro rocket, casting off into space. This is Senore2006 and I approve this message. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT