ADVERTISEMENT

Is There a Similarity Between White/WVU and....

cardstud1

5000+
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2006
Lamar Jackson at UofL? I am reminded between those two. If Slaton was the RB who would be UofL's RB?

Trayveon (sp?) Samuel. We need to change his position. :)

Pat White is who we hope Jackson turns into.
I remember when they doubted that Pat White couldn't throw but he came out that 2n't year and was absolutely good hitting spot on. Well I think the only weakness Lamar has is his inexperience and that is almost nil! He is that good.

FWIW, I have made this comparison several times. IMO, yes, Jackson appears to be every bit as good as White. Probably better. But as far as the offense overall goes I think a speed back like Slayton complements the spread option better than the "power backs" the CBP seems to prefer. IMO, the closest thing we have to Slayton is Bonnafon. He definitely has the right speed and size but he still tends to run like QB, not like a running back. The other factor is WV built their entire offense around the spread option game whereas CBP is simply integrating the spread option play into his usual stuff. JMO

Peace

Reactions: 65bird
Pat White was exceptional, but the big FB they had (cannot remember his name but he not only blocked, he was a load inside for short yardage) and Steve Slaton provided a running game that made it virtually impossible to defend all three. Lamar is probably more talented White, but we still lack a RB that compares to Slaton.

That was Owen Schmidt, who really was a vicious blocker; the way he was used was almost like a pulling guard in the backfield. I always thought the hidden strength of West Virginia's attack was the timing of their blocking schemes; for a purist it was something to watch how their blocking would almost lull your entire defense into going one way like five influence blocks (which you don't see much any more) and then see a Slaton or White pop off tackle away from the flow for major chunk yardage.

It's a fair comparison, and I hope Jackson winds up being as dynamic as White, but IMO the offenses will be different. Bonnafon could be the game changer. He can line up anywhere and be effective, including QB.

Picture a spread option formation with Jackson and Bonnafon standing side by side in the shot gun. Knowing Petrino the way you do, are you 100% certain the snap is even going to Jackson?

This offense could wind up being a true nightmare for opposing Defensive Coordinators.

It's a fair comparison, and I hope Jackson winds up being as dynamic as White, but IMO the offenses will be different. Bonnafon could be the game changer. He can line up anywhere and be effective, including QB.

Picture a spread option formation with Jackson and Bonnafon standing side by side in the shot gun. Knowing Petrino the way you do, are you 100% certain the snap is even going to Jackson?

This offense could wind up being a true nightmare for opposing Defensive Coordinators.

Don't forget we have a world champion power lifter that if he can be an effective blocker, we can come close to replicatING White-Slaton.

I have long been intrigued by the strength of Uhl and recall one play where he crushed a defender on a running play; it was not just a "pancake" it was a steamroller of a block.The staff is keenly aware of Griffin's power and great attitude, I just wonder if there is some other limitation that has prohibited his seeing more snaps at FB?

Reggie on the other hand has all of the physical tools associated with a WR, much in the same model as D Parker. Not exactly sure as to why his speed did not translate into more success as a RB, but it should be clear he is far better suited as a receiver. Radcliffe or Scott are going to need to step it up if we expect to have a successful running attack beyond Lamar.

I have long been intrigued by the strength of Uhl and recall one play where he crushed a defender on a running play; it was not just a "pancake" it was a steamroller of a block.The staff is keenly aware of Griffin's power and great attitude, I just wonder if there is some other limitation that has prohibited his seeing more snaps at FB?

Reggie on the other hand has all of the physical tools associated with a WR, much in the same model as D Parker. Not exactly sure as to why his speed did not translate into more success as a RB, but it should be clear he is far better suited as a receiver. Radcliffe or Scott are going to need to step it up if we expect to have a successful running attack beyond Lamar.
Uhl is no longer on the team.

...Reggie on the other hand has all of the physical tools associated with a WR, much in the same model as D Parker. Not exactly sure as to why his speed did not translate into more success as a RB, but it should be clear he is far better suited as a receiver. Radcliffe or Scott are going to need to step it up if we expect to have a successful running attack beyond Lamar.
True, but the Cards are pretty darn deep at WR. I'm just not sure Radcliffe, Scott and Smith have anything more to give than we have already seen. Is that "enough"? Yes, with solid O-line play. Maybe, with sketchy O-line play.

OTOH, Bonnafon seemingly has much better speed than those 3 but (IMO) simply does not yet "run like a RB" in terms of using his speed and his 200+ lbs. My recollection is that his 4 or 5 carries per game were mostly toss sweeps and straight handoff. IOW, plays that depend on solid blocking (which was hard to come by last year). Furthermore he had only 10 catches in 10 games so he really only had 55 offensive touches in 2015. He strikes me as the epitome of an "all purpose back" that can hurt you in a variety of ways and, IMO, "best complements" Jackson in the option game

I would like to see him get at least 10 or 12 touches per game in a variety of forms (pitch man on option, slot receiver, tunnel screen, Wildcat QB, HB pass, etc.). Ideally, I think Reggie can (and should) be used much like Percy Harvin was used at FL back in the Meyer days. I also like the 2 back I set with Jackson under center and Scott at FB. Scott blocks well and is real run/receive threat at the FB position. That would put 3 dangerous run options in the back field. JMO.

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT