ADVERTISEMENT

Is self cannibalization a uniquely LPT thing?...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
They're really struggling with the difference in the two programs at the moment, and many of their fans are openly following and rooting for the Cards in football. That's always been a characteristic of their fanbase--fans of other football schools--for obvious reasons. But they are really going at each other now about true fandom, who they want as fans, whether it's OK to cheer for both schools, etc.

And I wonder, is that also true of our own fanbase? If the roles were reversed, would a large number of our fans start following LPT football? I can't see it nor have I ever seen it, but I can obviously be accused of wearing red glasses. We have a couple folks here like P-Up and WC who have long had a toe in the other camp, but I'm not talking about those guys.

"Fess up, am I living among any closet slapd!cks, and could we ever have a feeding frenzy here??...

Zipp, I respect you but I can honestly say without hesitation that I don't give two flips about any UofK fan or how they feel about UofL. If they eat each other then so be it. Let them feast.

Reactions: wilkie01
They're really struggling with the difference in the two programs at the moment, and many of their fans are openly following and rooting for the Cards in football. That's always been a characteristic of their fanbase--fans of other football schools--for obvious reasons. But they are really going at each other now about true fandom, who they want as fans, whether it's OK to cheer for both schools, etc.

And I wonder, is that also true of our own fanbase? If the roles were reversed, would a large number of our fans start following LPT football? I can't see it nor have I ever seen it, but I can obviously be accused of wearing red glasses. We have a couple folks here like P-Up and WC who have long had a toe in the other camp, but I'm not talking about those guys.

"Fess up, am I living among any closet slapd!cks, and could we ever have a feeding frenzy here??...
No.

Reactions: wilkie01
I don't cheer for or against another team unless it's an ACC team playing for the NC and we're not.

I think it's different with UofL fans generally. Many of us actually went to our school, attended classes there. For many UK fans, they never went to college. UK basketball is a sports franchise they root for, like the Yankees or Dallas Cowboys. They see college football as a separate sport, so it's not hard for them to root for Alabama or even Louisville in football.

Most rural Kentuckians are bred to be UK fans. Its like a religion to them and something with which they can identify with that is a winner. Many years ago that was also true of most of us that lived in Louisville but those days are long gone. I see more and more UofL gear and license plates in town.

I haven't seen any UofL fans actively or openly switching allegiances to UK in any sport. We've seen UK be highly successful in basketball during periods when we weren't nearly as successful. At no time have I seen a UofL fan proclaim they are tired of being beaten by UK in basketball and switching sides. But then, we haven't gone through a drought in any sport that rivals UK's lack of success in football either...at least in my lifetime.

I've always had a soft spot for UK football (for personal reasons). But just the program; the fans are a different matter. And it does not translate over to basketball -- hate Cal and that goes back to his pre-UK days.
But, yes, I don't understand how "fans" can change allegiance so easily (but what else does a UK football fan have to do this year -- dumpster fire with a likely lame-duck coach is just not fun to watch).

Most UK-Lexington basketball fans I know either follow the NFL, Alabama (how convenient), Ohio State (again how convenient) or Notre Dame (again how convenient). A couple of them don't even like football but ribbed me during the Krags era when they had a win streak. Frontrunners galore when it comes to college football. Clay Travis, old radio guy in Nashville, said the worst type of fan ever was the UK-Lexington basketball fan who is also an Alabama football fan and vice-versa,

I'm on this forum quite a bit...What does LPT stand for? I know it has to do with UK, but....

If UofL was absolutely terrible now, and also for a very long period of time (decades?) in Football, and UK was much much better in Football for a long period of time, I could see myself rooting for UK in its Football games. I wouldn't root against UofL ever, but if that were the case, UofL Football would be sort of 'meh' to me. .

I converted to become a UofL fan 50 years ago this month. I grew up as a kid from Eastern Kentucky as a UK fan. Now, I support every part of UofL, sports and academics, with my body, soul and pocketbook.... I am sure UofL is part of my soul, now.

But I have to say if Kragthorpe were still coaching here and the Cards were going 3-9 or 4-8 every season for the last 9 years, and if UK was clearly much much better in Football, my support for UofL Football would be severely tested.

However, that's an alternate reality which could never be true,.owing to the passion for success and excellence of Tom Jurich,

Reactions: valley St. Card
Most rural Kentuckians are bred to be UK fans. Its like a religion to them and something with which they can identify with that is a winner. Many years ago that was also true of most of us that lived in Louisville but those days are long gone. I see more and more UofL gear and license plates in town.

Jack the vast majority of uahkay fans have never even seen the campus in Lexington. They couldn't find the football stadium or coRupt arena if the directions were tattooed on the palm of their hand. As you said, I see far more UofL license plates, bumper stickers and indicators of UofL favoritism than ever before. In fact, I believe the split here in Jefferson County is approaching 70/30 or more in favor of UofL.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

If UofL was absolutely terrible now, and also for a very long period of time (decades?) in Football, and UK was much much better in Football for a long period of time, I could see myself rooting for UK in its Football games. I wouldn't root against UofL ever, but if that were the case, UofL Football would be sort of 'meh' to me. .

I converted to become a UofL fan 50 years ago this month. I grew up as a kid from Eastern Kentucky as a UK fan. Now, I support every part of UofL, sports and academics, with my body, soul and pocketbook.... I am sure UofL is part of my soul, now.

But I have to say if Kragthorpe were still coaching here and the Cards were going 3-9 or 4-8 every season for the last 9 years, and if UK was clearly much much better in Football, my support for UofL Football would be severely tested.

However, that's an alternate reality which could never be true,.owing to the passion for success and excellence of Tom Jurich,

Think of how fortunate the Kats are TJ screwed up in his hire of Kragtharpe.
His only major mistake is 19 years on the Job.

Since 2003, UL has won 9 of the 13 games played against the Kats. 3 of the 4 losses were Kragtharpe coached teams, the first of which returned 18 starters from a team that went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl the preceding year. The other loss came in Strong's first year when he inherited a team depleted of talent because of SK's complete incompetence.
UK should enshrine SK in their Football Hall of Fame. Hell, they don't have any better candidates.

I will never root for UK. Just can't do it. I want to beat them in everything.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Could you imagine the attitude of the typical UK fan IF they had a top FB team and we struggled, the arrogance is hard to take as it is (well, not now...but it took a couple games).

Reactions: American Male
Piggy-backing on what many in here have already addressed many UK fans can't express why they won't cheer for UofL. They have never been exposed to anything UofL related. Some have never even been to the city of Louisville.

I came across a painter from Whitesburg who was in Frankfort for a week-long job and we started talking about the rivalry. He went on and on about how much he hated UofL and the city of Louisville and how great UK was. When pressed about his position he admitted he'd only been to UK campus a few times. I asked him what he thought of UofLs campus he said he had never seen it or been to the city of Louisville. Even after I reminded him of how close he was to Louisville and he should visit he emphatically responded hostile to the idea.

This is not the first time I've been out in the state and came across people who have never been to Louisville and had no plans to visit. I even remember talking with a state intern who told me one of the state Rep had never been to Louisville.

Louisville fans, on the other hand, have their beliefs and hatred reaffirmed on a daily basis by UK fans. Sure, there are a few good ones, and some might even be in your family (not mine of course) but for the most part Louisville fans are widely exposed to the reasons they will never cheer for Kentucky's Largest Junior College.

I've disliked U of K since my family lived in Lex during my 5th grade year and I heard their football coach making excuses on the radio about why they can't compete in the SEC. Blew my 10yo brain, which caused me to scream out: WELL, WHY DON'T YOU TRY! And they never have had the audacity to stand up and say "we will compete for championships." I only follow collision course type schools with the audacity to say foolish things in the pursuit of excellence. :)

Jack the vast majority of uahkay fans have never even seen the campus in Lexington. They couldn't find the football stadium or coRupt arena if the directions were tattooed on the palm of their hand. As you said, I see far more UofL license plates, bumper stickers and indicators of UofL favoritism than ever before. In fact, I believe the split here in Jefferson County is approaching 70/30 or more in favor of UofL.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
I moved back to Ashland in 2010. The number of U of L license plates I see has increased significantly over the last 30 + years. When I was in school at U of L in the late 80's I probably had the only car with a U of L plate. I now see a U of L license plate almost every day.

This question is analogous to the one I pitched to FSU fans this week about U of L being in the conference...

G-man did about the best job of trying to put himself in that situation. It's easy to say "I could never root for LPT" unconditionally. When reality sets in--G-man's really good example of a decade of Kragthorpe--how many of us would start disrespecting our own team enough to look east about 80 miles? Esp. if they were competing for a national championship. That's an interesting dilemma for a fanbase that has been numbed to the excellence of Tom Jurich.

I don't think I could do it, but I'm supposed to be an epic LPT hater. That's why I'm asking our more rational fans if things could get dire enough here and good enough there, would you do it? (And I almost gag each time I think about the question...)

Reactions: gocds
No chance for me. There are a few other teams I pull for when not playing against the Cards but LPT is not one of them. I almost enjoy watching UK lose more than I enjoy watching Louisville win....almost.

Last edited:
As far as football, I don't give a rats azz what they're doing in lessington. Only until the week of when we play them will UK be a concern or interest. I don't care what stoops is doing, although since we do play them annually I would like a competitive game. Part of that is taken care of just because it's a rivalry. Fans are going to talk crap no matter what. Basketball is a different story because they are competitive and in some regards a measuring stick. I think it's important that we compete and beat them occasionally. I still don't "follow" or care what they do. I am more concern with U of L.

There are no uk fans following ul football.

It will flip again. Petrino will be up for a promotion in a few and poof. U.K. Will be finishing a rebuild Louisville will slide. Back again. Back again.

Same old.

Keep reaching Brian.

There are no uk fans following ul football.

It will flip again. Petrino will be up for a promotion in a few and poof. U.K. Will be finishing a rebuild Louisville will slide. Back again. Back again.

Same old.

Keep reaching Brian.
Wash, rinse and repeat. UK fans have been saying this for years. Sorry to disappoint you but that ain't happening.

I would not.

I was playing grade school ball at St. Gabriel and they had a poster of Fran Curci in the "Leopards Den" were we met for chalk talks. I remember taking a bunch of crap for saying I'm a UofL fan and could care less about UK and Fran Curci.

Talk about piling on and on. My first experience of swarming pestilence. Like running into a spider web.

I took notice of the parents of the guys who kept going on and on about it. Just what you would expect, white turtle neck with the UK logo and blue v-neck sweater UK fans. They would be matching sets at the ball games. Talk about a bunch of doosh bags! You know why their kids are flawed once you hear and see their parents.

I have UK friends that are no where near flawed like that and get it.

But that experience and time has taught me that UK is the poster child for how you don't run a football program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT