ADVERTISEMENT

Is Neeli part of the problem?

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I hadn’t thought of this before. I don’t think she has a passion or understanding of the importance of athletics. Academia is her forte. So, we’ve got an AD who isn’t fully committed to UofL, and his boss doesn’t grasp what UofL means to the fans. That’s a frightening combination.

I hadn’t thought of this before. I don’t think she has a passion or understanding of the importance of athletics. Academia is her forte. So, we’ve got an AD who isn’t fully committed to UofL, and his boss doesn’t grasp what UofL means to the fans. That’s a frightening combination.
There are so many rumors out there about Neeli’s involvement. I have heard she is the one responsible for Mack’s suspension and also decision to retain Satterfield. Tyra felt he was on the outside of these decisions, which is why he may want to leave.

Mack is paid $4M he botched a firing that put the University at risk. That is on him especially given the situation. His suspension wasn’t that big of a deal and hopefully he got the message.

Satterfield is another story that needs to play out. Who knows but there is nothing wrong with her standing up for a coach that runs a program the way she wants it. The problem is she can’t cut Vince off at the knees which appears to be what is happening. The AD has to have to authority to runs his/her department. His/her most important job is making sure his revenue producing sports do just that.

Reactions: boilerscout
Ok just stop it, this so stupid. First of all ACADEMICS Should aways be more important than athletics. Second, just because Tyra is a UK graduate does not mean he is some kind of mole. May I gently remind you where Saint Howard graduated from? Look I was disappointed by the bad showing last weekend, but we do not know everything. We get 95% of our offensive production back next year along with Malik (who continues to be disrespected or ignored by his own “fans”). As of now we have two four stars, and one very large 3 star defensive linemen ready to sign next week. Yesterday we had a 3/4 star RB (who is on the same team as our 2023 QB target) on campus. I sure hope he stays off the Internet…Seriously, I saw someone ragging on Khalib Johnson on another board. He just won the 6A state championship in Alabama, 40 TDS to 7 Ints for the year. Sorry, but lets hope for the best and chill out on the blame game. Sorry for the rant. But lets show some support in the meanwhile.

One really can’t believe everything they see in print. Those days are long gone. But I completely understand how everyone is feeling, doubting and seeking answers. I’d rather know truth today and everyday, even if it’s concerning to me.
It has been rough for to fricking long!

Reactions: gocds
I agree with you on some of the your post and I do hope our recruits and players don’t keep up with these post. I am looking forward to next season if we can keep everything together. Watkins entering the portal is a mystery to me he had tons of playing time. Maybe some other school has offered him NIL money to transfer.
I am not a fan of Neeli I agree I don’t think she understands the importance of the athletic department. This is also her first time as president of a university ( which sucks for us ) so when she needs advice who does she reach out to? I am losing confidence quickly in the people in charge who are making the decisions.
I agree we don’t need anymore sUcK graduates being hired in decision making jobs. I don’t care if Howard was a sUcK grad or not hire proven qualified candidates from elsewhere or Louisville grads. Just curious but how many Louisville grads are working at sUcK?

Neeli just released a statement that says Tyra makes the decisions for the athletics programs. If that is bullshit then Tyra should/would resign.

And Neeli wasn’t at Satt/Tyra meeting. Just because someone has a “source” doesn’t make it fact.

I mean I don’t see a problem created by Vince/Neeli when it comes to those 2 sports. The decline/issues began before they arrived. Now have we recovered quick enough and would TJ have us in a better spot today? Idk, probably not.

The problems were inherited by issues caused under Tom Jurich. Pitino still would’ve been fired and we’d still have a cloud of sanctions over our head. Petrino’s ranking of the football program had already happened, we still would’ve had to hire a coach to rebuild.

Now if the problem is that last Saturday we got blown out be a team that we give way too much energy and space in our heads to, then idk what to say.

But, Vince hired Satt. The football program is in better shape than what Vince took over from TJ. This was a rebuild. Now the blowouts to UK and not inspiring fans aren’t great, but it’s not like he’s just destroyed the program. The program was on life support, it has a base. We can’t judge truly Scott until next year.

Vince hired Mack. A program that lost a HOF coach and has had a huge cloud of probation over our heads. It was the best hire at the time. Jurich wasn’t going to get Jay Wright of Billy Donovan here. This wasn’t going to be easy. We had a team that could’ve made a Final Four in 2020 under Mack, tournament cancelled. 2 months of COVID breaks last year. And its looking like we’re gonna be good this year.

Just evaluate it from the programs when Satt/Mack we’re hired. There has been improvement. It’s hard to replace a Rick Pitino, they don’t grow on trees. It’s hard to rebuild a football program in a power 5 league.

The PROBLEMS of where we are today? They predated this current admin and coaches. They didn’t create new issues and tank the programs.

There are so many rumors out there about Neeli’s involvement. I have heard she is the one responsible for Mack’s suspension and also decision to retain Satterfield. Tyra felt he was on the outside of these decisions, which is why he may want to leave.
I think she’s hands off and clueless, personally, when it comes to athletics. She’s a rock star in every other facet, though.

I mean I don’t see a problem created by Vince/Neeli when it comes to those 2 sports. The decline/issues began before they arrived. Now have we recovered quick enough and would TJ have us in a better spot today? Idk, probably not.

The problems were inherited by issues caused under Tom Jurich. Pitino still would’ve been fired and we’d still have a cloud of sanctions over our head. Petrino’s ranking of the football program had already happened, we still would’ve had to hire a coach to rebuild.

Now if the problem is that last Saturday we got blown out be a team that we give way too much energy and space in our heads to, then idk what to say.

But, Vince hired Satt. The football program is in better shape than what Vince took over from TJ. This was a rebuild. Now the blowouts to UK and not inspiring fans aren’t great, but it’s not like he’s just destroyed the program. The program was on life support, it has a base. We can’t judge truly Scott until next year.

Vince hired Mack. A program that lost a HOF coach and has had a huge cloud of probation over our heads. It was the best hire at the time. Jurich wasn’t going to get Jay Wright of Billy Donovan here. This wasn’t going to be easy. We had a team that could’ve made a Final Four in 2020 under Mack, tournament cancelled. 2 months of COVID breaks last year. And its looking like we’re gonna be good this year.

Just evaluate it from the programs when Satt/Mack we’re hired. There has been improvement. It’s hard to replace a Rick Pitino, they don’t grow on trees. It’s hard to rebuild a football program in a power 5 league.

The PROBLEMS of where we are today? They predated this current admin and coaches. They didn’t create new issues and tank the programs.
Can’t point blame forever. The university, athletics, have been theirs for a while now.

Neeli just released a statement that says Tyra makes the decisions for the athletics programs. If that is bullshit then Tyra should/would resign.
Translation: stop sending me angry emails. I have nothing to do with athletics.

Can’t point blame forever. The university, athletics, have been theirs for a while now.
(Football is 2-10, basketball facing FBI investigation)

Fans: this is a mess it’s the worst ever

(Hires Satt and Mack and they steadily improve a dark situation)

Fans: this is awful! They ruined a great thing!

I like Neeli. But we need a new AD. I think her most important immediate job is to can Tyra and get us a really good athletic director. Tyra doesn't know shyte about administering a successful athletic department OR how to work within a college administrative environment. Can Vince Tyra.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: Sawyer
As little as Tyra has proven he knows about running a (once) big time athletics department, my intuition is that Neeli knows less. I'm also speculating based on what I've seen and heard in the last six months that their relationship has deteriorated, perhaps significantly. That's a scary combination.

I'm no fan of either person, and as everyone knows I've had suspicions about them from day one. BUT if she's starting to look over Tyra's shoulder on everything and second guessing him, she's completely justified doing that IMO. Tyra has largely made his bed as far as the state of U of L athletics. It's a dumpster fire financially which is the culmination of many bad decisions and incompetence on his part.

As any senior manager should do with a poor manager below him or her, Neeli is probably reining him in. The unfortunate thing is I don't know how she can salvage the situation with Tyra or improve his performance no matter what she does. It's all too late and the people involved are too incapable.

(Glad to be back BTW...)

Welcome back Zipp!

Circumstances that brought Neeli to UL, are not the kind that any school wants to experience.

Ramsey, TJ, Petrino and Pitino left UL in an unprecedented mess, regardless of who was to blame. The more recent Mack indiscretion with an assistant coach‘s firing was something that Tyra should have handled himself, but clearly Neeli felt compelled to insist on a far more disciplinarian measure that rose to the 6 game suspension. Vince vehemently disagreed, and evidently perceived the intervention by Neeli as a discount of his authority and his job responsibilities.

My perspective is very simple ……. Neeli and Tyra needed to take as much time as necessary to come up with a decision that both could agree with. That did not happen, and I expect their respective ego and pride will not allow forgiveness. Tyra will leave sooner or later unless Neeli can figure out a way to make up for her humiliating Vince.

Welcome back Zipp!

Circumstances that brought Neeli to UL, are not the kind that any school wants to experience.

Ramsey, TJ, Petrino and Pitino left UL in an unprecedented mess, regardless of who was to blame. The more recent Mack indiscretion with an assistant coach‘s firing was something that Tyra should have handled himself, but clearly Neeli felt compelled to insist on a far more disciplinarian measure that rose to the 6 game suspension. Vince vehemently disagreed, and evidently perceived the intervention by Neeli as a discount of his authority and his job responsibilities.

My perspective is very simple ……. Neeli and Tyra needed to take as much time as necessary to come up with a decision that both could agree with. That did not happen, and I expect their respective ego and pride will not allow forgiveness. Tyra will leave sooner or later unless Neeli can figure out a way to make up for her humiliating Vince.
233 I agree with much of what you say. But if I have to make a choice I'll go with Neeli. Vince Tyra is, in my opinion, a total failure and needs to be removed from any administrative position at the University of Louisville. Neeli IS the number one administrator at our University and she is exercising her duty as our President. If she has made a mistake then I feel it's not removing Tyra to this point. I'm not sure why Tyra has failed but perhaps he just isn't cut out to be the athletic director at a major University. Or maybe it's a result of his own college education. :)

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: zipp
It just sounds like people at the top of the org are not on the same page.

Hard to really know what's true, but the fact some of this is out is not a really good thing whatever the truth really is.

Neeli is fine. Our AD is struggling ... financially and in athletics-leadership.
Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if our AD's struggles are a result of his "down the road" education. :):):) Wouldn't surprise me. At any rate, I'd love to see him gone not because of where he went to school but because he apparently didn't learn enough wherever to be a major executive at a large athletic department. I hope Neeli sees this and reacts to remove him.

GO CARDS!!!

I understand that many fans badly want a new football coach, and I would love to see someone like Jeff Brohm here as much as anyone. But the biggest problem U of L athletics has is the AD. G-man just summed it up in one sentence, and the evidence now is pretty much irrefutable. Brohm would be the highest paid U of L employee, and you don't send Tyra out to make any big decisions at this juncture even if hiring coaches is a key accountability of an AD.

He needs to be replaced by an AD who has broad support by fans and donors, maybe a guy like Junior Bridgeman if he can be talked into the job. And as much as his last name is poison among the current administration, the first guy that Junior should ring up is Mark Jurich. While the hole is still freshly dug, this school needs to re-recruit the Juriches to fill the hole before we lose track of the dirt.

I don't think it's well understood how critical our financial situation is. Athletics borrowed $20 million in the Spring to continue to pay its bills, and we're going through that money quickly. The bleeding has to stop before you can save the patient...

I understand that many fans badly want a new football coach, and I would love to see someone like Jeff Brohm here as much as anyone. But the biggest problem U of L athletics has is the AD. G-man just summed it up in one sentence, and the evidence now is pretty much irrefutable. Brohm would be the highest paid U of L employee, and you don't send Tyra out to make any big decisions at this juncture even if hiring coaches is a key accountability of an AD.

He needs to be replaced by an AD who has broad support by fans and donors, maybe a guy like Junior Bridgeman if he can be talked into the job. And as much as his last name is poison among the current administration, the first guy that Junior should ring up is Mark Jurich. While the hole is still freshly dug, this school needs to re-recruit the Juriches to fill the hole before we lose track of the dirt.

I don't think it's well understood how critical our financial situation is. Athletics borrowed $20 million in the Spring to continue to pay its bills, and we're going through that money quickly. The bleeding has to stop before you can save the patient...
OMG

Who knew Sunday night would turn into celebrity night on Cardinal Sports.

BRB rounding up the main stream media to report on this development.

"The Return of Zipp"

Starring.

Zipp.

• Haha
Reactions: Morgantown Card
GOCDS: my post was not necessarily about Neeli over Tyra, or vice-versa; more about how dysfunctional it is when the President and the AD leave a meeting where either one feels undermined, or misunderstood.

I only know Vince from his previous role at a very large customer of mine. While he, like any CEO, there are those who find fault and others who praise their performance …….. Vince was recognized by his peers as extremely competent. Your point about his lack of experience as an Executive in College Sports Management is well founded, as I am not sure there is evidence either way given the circumstance that he inherited and the subsequent bizarre Covid season that followed.

Regardless of who was ”right or wrong”, as supportive as I am of Neeli, I believe she made two (2) mistakes that brings us to a situation that is not good for this University, particularly at this critical point in time. First she mandated the excessive suspension of Chris Mack and over-rode her AD’s objection. That alone, would not have been an incorrectable error, had she not made the second mistake by failing to work through the situation with Vince in a more executive manner that could diffuse the huge break in her and Vince’s relationship.

No doubt Vince will be gone; now or later for sure. That is not the real problem, but rather the circumstances and timing will result in difficulty finding an adequate replacement who will agree to work in a vacated situation where everyone knows the predecessor left as a result of the President over-ruling his authority and leaving the situation where he essentially received a no confidence vote.

Not sure we will be able to attract an AD who has the sort of independence that can lead this school out of the mess we are in now.

GOCDS: my post was not necessarily about Neeli over Tyra, or vice-versa; more about how dysfunctional it is when the President and the AD leave a meeting where either one feels undermined, or misunderstood.

I only know Vince from his previous role at a very large customer of mine. While he, like any CEO, there are those who find fault and others who praise their performance …….. Vince was recognized by his peers as extremely competent. Your point about his lack of experience as an Executive in College Sports Management is well founded, as I am not sure there is evidence either way given the circumstance that he inherited and the subsequent bizarre Covid season that followed.

Regardless of who was ”right or wrong”, as supportive as I am of Neeli, I believe she made two (2) mistakes that brings us to a situation that is not good for this University, particularly at this critical point in time. First she mandated the excessive suspension of Chris Mack and over-rode her AD’s objection. That alone, would not have been an incorrectable error, had she not made the second mistake by failing to work through the situation with Vince in a more executive manner that could diffuse the huge break in her and Vince’s relationship.

No doubt Vince will be gone; now or later for sure. That is not the real problem, but rather the circumstances and timing will result in difficulty finding an adequate replacement who will agree to work in a vacated situation where everyone knows the predecessor left as a result of the President over-ruling his authority and leaving the situation where he essentially received a no confidence vote.

Not sure we will be able to attract an AD who has the sort of independence that can lead this school out of the mess we are in now.
^^^very insightful post^^^

It’s not an excessive suspension of Mack if we get hammered for his Level 2 violations.

Is/was the suspension of Mack excessive? If our continued relationship with the NCAA is effected by anything Mack has done then I'd say Neeli reacted in a proper manner. Vince may be a successful business administrator but he leaves many questions about his ability to manage a major university's athletic interest. Plus I'm quite sure the University President has the proper responsibility to "oversee" the actions of any manger under her/his purview. I'm convinced, at this point, that she is reacting to decisions/moves by AD Tyra. And she was right to do so. I'm not at all convinced that VT has UofL's best interest at heart. And if anyone thinks I'm concerned about VT's relationship with HIS former school then so be it. Others have navigated their relationships with our major in-state competitor very well, but I'm not sure/convinced that VT has done this very well. I don't believe I'm overstating that there is nobody in Lexington that wants success at UofL or the City of Louisville. So, yes, that is a major concern for me and I hope the majority of UofL fans.

GO CARDS!!!

As little as Tyra has proven he knows about running a (once) big time athletics department, my intuition is that Neeli knows less. I'm also speculating based on what I've seen and heard in the last six months that their relationship has deteriorated, perhaps significantly. That's a scary combination.

I'm no fan of either person, and as everyone knows I've had suspicions about them from day one. BUT if she's starting to look over Tyra's shoulder on everything and second guessing him, she's completely justified doing that IMO. Tyra has largely made his bed as far as the state of U of L athletics. It's a dumpster fire financially which is the culmination of many bad decisions and incompetence on his part.

As any senior manager should do with a poor manager below him or her, Neeli is probably reining him in. The unfortunate thing is I don't know how she can salvage the situation with Tyra or improve his performance no matter what she does. It's all too late and the people involved are too incapable.

(Glad to be back BTW...)
Seems to me is this

Tyra was brought in to not rock the boat. Keeps things as is and not upset anyone. The "Clown Show" (as you called him) liked him and thought he wouldn't step on toes, but also the old guard didn't really have a problem with him either. He understood business/sports enough. He wasn't brought in to make big decisions, he was brought in as a scapegoat to take hits. But, I think the old dog finally got tired of being the whipping boy for the admin and fans.

Neeli though, she's an admin trying to completely change course. She wants it to be her school. Satt is the nice guy and she thinks he's done well enough to keep things going. He's the opposite of the old guard. Mack will stay if he falls in line behind her.

Neeli has now seen enough from Vince as he's not gonna fall in line. She made her stand on things. She will get her own person and yes man or yes woman or yes birthing-person to run athletics her way. She'll put her stamp on things. Now? That may mean she hires someone that does to great work that gives her the credit, but she's gonna have someone that won't step on toes.

(Glad to be back BTW...)
Well, Zipp, first of all welcome back. Second, I was beating this drum for a while, thinking that VT was just a temporary place holder and the president would pick her own AD after being hired. I was wrong about VT - he became permanent. However, if he actually does go to FSU, the scenario will play out essentially as it should have; the president getting an experienced AD to run the department. Many here are assuming it will be an incompetent yes-man. That assumption may be false. Dr. B may just want somebody to run a tight, successful ship and relieve her of the headache, which is what athletics is to most university presidents. If she finds the right person, the recovery could finally begin.

Reactions: gocds and zipp
Speaking with folks who know more about the inner workings at UofL than I, it appears the relationship between Neeli and Tyra turned sour over Mack. Neeli wanted him fired after he broke HR protocol with his secret Gaudio recordings. Tyra, fighting for his guy, convinced her otherwise, and the two haven't gotten along since. Satterfield getting or not getting another year has nothing to do with anything. Neeli's relationship with athletics is complex. She's not a sports fan. She simply wants teams students and alumni can be proud of. She's lacking in the this is a big business/fans love the Cards department. While that's not great, I'm not knocking her style, as she's been a very good university president so far.

I believe Neeli understands her shortcomings when it comes to running/managing a big time athletics department. What I believe she would love to have is an AD that respects not only her but the entire academic side of a major university. Not sure we have that at present. If, indeed, Vince Tyra is off and running to FSU, or wherever, then it will give her and the entire University administration the opportunity to appeal to the University/college community to find an AD that understands that the University of Louisville is a very unique place to run/manage a major athletic department.

GO CARDS!!!

No President wants to deal with Athletics. It is a double edge sword. A really good Athletics program increases enrollment. A scandal or stupid mistakes in any of the athletic programs negatively impacts the University.

Hopefully she will learn quickly the positive influence a great athletic program has on the University.

Reactions: CardsFirst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT