ADVERTISEMENT

In case you missed it, Duke at No Carolina tonite.

Louisvillian

6000+
Oct 27, 2006
Doubt ESPN will mention it during our game.:cool:

Nice finish to the half for our guys. Matz is looking like D Padgett offensively out there.

Reactions: JohnCard28
The next time North Carolina plays defense will be the first. Roy said at the half "I don't care how many points the other team has as long as we have more". Well Roy, look where that got ya.

I will catch a lot of flack for this but having live in Louisville for 31 years then move to Charlotte for 24 years and now back in Kentucky, I was adamant that the U of L/UK matchup was a better rivalry than Duke-UNC. Now all I can say is our rivalry is based on hate whereas I believe the Duke UNC rivalry is based on respect. No matter what their records and expectations are the two teams simply compete against each other and if you don't think it is emotional then watch coach Williams crying over a basketball game in the post game.

I will catch a lot of flack for this but having live in Louisville for 31 years then move to Charlotte for 24 years and now back in Kentucky, I was adamant that the U of L/UK matchup was a better rivalry than Duke-UNC. Now all I can say is our rivalry is based on hate whereas I believe the Duke UNC rivalry is based on respect. No matter what their records and expectations are the two teams simply compete against each other and if you don't think it is emotional then watch coach Williams crying over a basketball game in the post game.
I'm not going to give you flack over your post. I think you are 100% correct. There is respect between Duke and UNC, and there is pure hatred between UofL and UofK.

What I will leave to the beholder is what makes a rivalry better. Is it the mutual respect aspect or is it the mutual hatred aspect which makes a rivalry better than the others?

Rivalries entrenched in hatred are more fun to watch while mutually respected rivalries are less intense IMO. The hate takes it to a whole different level of intensity.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Duke and North Carolina are in the same conference and have had two maybe three games against each other a year. If one team loses they know they will have at least another shot at the other.

In our rivalry since we only have one game a year and it puts us fans on pins and needles at least a week leading up to it.

Edit: both great rivalries no doubt. I just think our fans are what makes ours the best. We are maybe the two most passionate fanbases in the country.

ThroughBlue,

Your rationale is that because they play each other possibly 3 times a year would make the rivalry less intense, which I don't believe is true. As I said it does not matter what the records are, the games are always fierce and sometimes unpredictable.

Duke vs Carolina best CONFERENCE rivalry. They get 2-4 shots to beat
each other all season.

UofL vs uofk best NON CONFERENCE rivalry. Only get 1 or 2 shots to win.
Majority one chance. Make it count.

Reactions: Cue Card
Ok so I am hearing the game is important but then I hear posters like Zipp saying we don't need the game? What is the majority thinking? Plus all you posters complaining about the UK riffraff. Hell, if we beat them like we do in football, you don't see them coming over here in herds.

Reactions: Cue Card
Kentucky and Louisville should always play regardless. Hell I think we should always play eastern and western too instead of some random school from wherever. If we are going to pay big bucks for a sure win why not pay it to in state schools. Murray, Morehead, NKU, etc

I can't argue with that based on the way things are. I may take some flack for saying this: that if we were 5-4 or 4-5 against UK the last 6-7 years that nothing would match this rivalry including Duke-UNC. The intensity on both sides would be through the roof.

As it is, there is almost a sense of doom on our part and a sigh of relief on the other side when they beat us.

The game is a good thing. In order to understand our rivalry, you have to understand the history...

In the 40s and 50s, the state of KY was near last nationally in education/health/income, etc. (Outside of Louisville that still holds true). The one thing the state could hold up as being the best at nationally was basketball. Rupp created a dynasty and while there wasn't much for Kentucky to hang their hat on nationally, you could find Adolf Rupp on the Bob Hope show or The Tonight Show as a shining star to be proud about on a national level. This is a coveted spot for UK fans and they are protective of this status with all challengers. That's why they pay constant attention to the total wins records and are not thought fondly of by the UNC, Dukes and Kansas' of the world, as well as U of L.

Fast forrward to the 70s. A new player among the nation's elite exists in Louisville just 70 miles up the road, which is already the intimidating big city to most of Kentucky. We are the new elite contender from Kentucky who threatens their national lofty status and they refuse to acknowledge that or even play us. The NCAA forces that hand in '83 and the rivalry really begins. The rivalry still permeates those basics that have been passed down to generations - U of L: Jumping up and down saying acknowledge us as elite. UK: Don't threaten our status as the best at our one thing.

Those attitudes die hard. The rivalry is good.

The game is a good thing. In order to understand our rivalry, you have to understand the history...

In the 40s and 50s, the state of KY was near last nationally in education/health/income, etc. (Outside of Louisville that still holds true). The one thing the state could hold up as being the best at nationally was basketball. Rupp created a dynasty and while there wasn't much for Kentucky to hang their hat on nationally, you could find Adolf Rupp on the Bob Hope show or The Tonight Show as a shining star to be proud about on a national level. This is a coveted spot for UK fans and they are protective of this status with all challengers. That's why they pay constant attention to the total wins records and are not thought fondly of by the UNC, Dukes and Kansas' of the world, as well as U of L.

Fast forrward to the 70s. A new player among the nation's elite exists in Louisville just 70 miles up the road, which is already the intimidating big city to most of Kentucky. We are the new elite contender from Kentucky who threatens their national lofty status and they refuse to acknowledge that or even play us. The NCAA forces that hand in '83 and the rivalry really begins. The rivalry still permeates those basics that have been passed down to generations - U of L: Jumping up and down saying acknowledge us as elite. UK: Don't threaten our status as the best at our one thing.

Those attitudes die hard. The rivalry is good.

I wouldn't forget the racism. It played a large part as well.

Back to the topic...did anybody shoot FTs besides Grayson Allen last night? He shot twice as many as the next guy. LOL. Look a star is being born...

Last edited:
Reactions: Louisvillian
Yet, another epic battle on the hardwood. Just when you thought the Dookies were out of it....they come roaring back.:rolleyes: Yawn.

Got to give them credit though, 20 years of 20 straight wins. 2 decades folks. And did it all on the up and up... if there was a 100k loan, it was just a misunderstanding. And not one provable stripper party. Not one! And here we have to deal with cheatin blank blank RP.

Congrats dookies, I'm not sure why anyone bothers to show up and play you guys anymore. It's like the whole system just pulls for you guys. ;) They're the dookies baby! You guys may have a devil for a mascot, but sure are the darling angels of the hardwood.

Last edited:
The love fest for dook and caroline during our games was laughable
It was nauseating having to deal with Jay Williams and Greenburg knob slobbering over UNC and Duke while our game was actually being played. I actually muted the TV and told my wife I'd rather watch silent movies than listen to those two idiots talk. It would have been a perfect time to cue up the old silent movie piano music until they cut away from the stupid in-game split screen.

It was nauseating having to deal with Jay Williams and Greenburg knob slobbering over UNC and Duke while our game was actually being played. I actually muted the TV and told my wife I'd rather watch silent movies than listen to those two idiots talk. It would have been a perfect time to cue up the old silent movie piano music until they cut away from the stupid in-game split screen.

Or you can do what I do.....DVR the game and start watching it about 20-30 minutes after the game start time....then you can just wizz thru it.....watch little to nothing of the halftime as you want....then forward to the start of the 2hd half.....and watch.....eventually you will catch up to real time very near

the end of the game.....and viola.....no ESPN pundits to irritate you and forward thru the timeouts and commercials. And I am happy....if it becomes a blowout loss.....well you get ta decide to subject yourself to that or not. Just one way to skin the orange or not. Cheers!

I predict another great and epic battle...Mr ft against Mrs ft. Maybe it will be called tight. Maybe money let's them play.

Kentucky and Louisville should always play regardless. Hell I think we should always play eastern and western too instead of some random school from wherever. If we are going to pay big bucks for a sure win why not pay it to in state schools. Murray, Morehead, NKU, etc

Both rivalries are great but the Duke/ UNC thing is in conference as noted, also it is huge public university against small private university ( at Duke undergrad enrollment is 6,284) and I went to Duke after I graduated from Virginia Tech and had worked a while and it was really a powerful thing. Much stronger than Tech/UVA or anything I had experienced, even Georgetown/ Syracuse. But I think it is a great point that UL should play Murray and Eastern every year, but when you are UL, one of the all time great programs ever, the ? a coach and AD will ask is what if by chance we lose? It looks bad on UL, even though it shouldn't really. I mean once in a blue moon one of those two could beat you all, but it is great fun for the fans in state and great for Murray and Eastern students who can watch the game with little to lose, a lot to gain. Get to play the Big Boys. I know in WV it took the Governor of the dang state to force WVU to play Marshall. WVU was like, what do we get out of this except "risk of injury or a loss to a traditionally inferior athletic program". I just agree that especially Eastern and Murray should be yearly. Murray is usually pretty good, even ranked some times in some years and Eastern is a proud school and very good fans from the part of the state that really has problems economically and from a stereotype outlook. Everyone knows UL is a good school academic wise, but many hear Eastern Kentucky and think backwoods hillbillies with nothing much more than a community college type of education. That is not fair IMO. I know a woman and a man here in the DC area who went to Eastern and they are both bright, good people with successful careers. You would expect that from a UL grad, but non Kentuckians have prejudices

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT