ADVERTISEMENT

I'm happy to put that tough road stretch behind us.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Ok, what did we learn? The Cards, perhaps, aren't road warriors. 3-4 during that stretch isn't awful, and only one loss was a true butt kicking, but UofL lost two one run games at ND, and blew it in the 9th, game 1 at NCST. Not sure what to make of it. I think I saw Kelly Dickey tweet the 10-0 NCST game was the worst shutout loss since 2009. That definitely isn't great, but, you know, it's a long season, and weird things can happen in baseball.

Prior to the the ND series, the Cards were ranked 6th by D1 Baseball. After that series, they dropped to 11th. After the NCST series, the Cards dropped to 18th. Perhaps motivation will be born out of the dramatic slide.

Next 8 games are all home games, including against #14 BC, a new top 10 UK squad, and a series against #2 Wake Forest. We should learn a lot the next two weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardiac Red
What I learned was McDonnell still hasn't decided who his closer is going to be. I thought it was Kuehner but Mac took him out in the 9th inning Friday so he didn't have to face a right handed hitter. That's not what you do with a closer.

I also learned that a few tweaks to the lineup are needed as well with the starting pitching rotation. Payton needs to hit 3rd or 4th as he is clearly the Cards best hitter. I would like to see Liggett and Hawks switch spots in the rotation.

I believe the guys were feeling good about their fast start and lofty ranking before they even played a true road game. It's a natural thing in sports. You don't feel like you're overconfident but you are. There was just way too many taken 3rd strikes as if they just assumed the pitcher was afraid to throw them strikes.

I think it was a wake up call for the lineup and there's several options if some hitters stay in slumps. The bullpen is a big concern. Mac has to weed out those who cannot find the strike zone consistently and pick a closer.

I think we have to find a replacement for Humphrey, he is in a serious slump. He has the worst batting average (.213) and the worst OPS (.733) on the team with 50 or more at bats...

What I learned was McDonnell still hasn't decided who his closer is going to be. I thought it was Kuehner but Mac took him out in the 9th inning Friday so he didn't have to face a right handed hitter. That's not what you do with a closer.

I also learned that a few tweaks to the lineup are needed as well with the starting pitching rotation. Payton needs to hit 3rd or 4th as he is clearly the Cards best hitter. I would like to see Liggett and Hawks switch spots in the rotation.

I believe the guys were feeling good about their fast start and lofty ranking before they even played a true road game. It's a natural thing in sports. You don't feel like you're overconfident but you are. There was just way too many taken 3rd strikes as if they just assumed the pitcher was afraid to throw them strikes.

I think it was a wake up call for the lineup and there's several options if some hitters stay in slumps. The bullpen is a big concern. Mac has to weed out those who cannot find the strike zone consistently and pick a closer.
Kuehner is definitely our closer. He brought him in one inning too early on Friday and tried to stretch him out 2 innings and then he let him close on Sunday to make sure we came out of the series with a win. Its obvious he doesn't trust anyone else to be the closer. Its not Biven.

Kuehner is definitely our closer. He brought him in one inning too early on Friday and tried to stretch him out 2 innings and then he let him close on Sunday to make sure we came out of the series with a win. Its obvious he doesn't trust anyone else to be the closer. Its not Biven.
IMO we need to try Will Koger as the closer. He has pitched well middle innings. From what we have seen on several occasions, he has come into games with runners on base, got out of innings. What we saw last weekend, definitely says that spot is wide open for someone to grab!

I think we have to find a replacement for Humphrey, he is in a serious slump. He has the worst batting average (.213) and the worst OPS (.733) on the team with 50 or more at bats...
Humphrey has the best arm in the outfield and is a very good fielder. You don't need everyone in the lineup to be a 300 hitter. He could bat near the bottom of the order to keep his defense on the field.

I think I’d throw Weigman or Galvan out there as the closer. While I know both have been a bit inconsistent…going out for just an inning or an inning+…may allow them to go out there and throw heat.

Humphrey has the best arm in the outfield and is a very good fielder. You don't need everyone in the lineup to be a 300 hitter. He could bat near the bottom of the order to keep his defense on the field.
Yeah, but this offense was better when Humphrey was having success at the plate. I don't think his arm will save him,but his coach is looking for him to re-emerge and get back to where he was last season. It might not happen, but it might.

There is a few options there when Mac decides he's got to try somebody else.

I think I’d throw Weigman or Galvan out there as the closer. While I know both have been a bit inconsistent…going out for just an inning or an inning+…may allow them to go out there and throw heat.
Weigman and Galvan had each only thrown 4 innings total. Not sure they are suited to close. The guys with closer numbers other than the starters are Kuenhner, Koger, Biven and Webster.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy. Let's do a deep dive on the ND and NC St. games:

Although they played very poorly (as many northern climate teams do) early in the season, ND is a veteran squad coming off an Omaha appearance after eliminating the consensus #1 team last year. We played 3 1-run games on the road where the home team has both a mental and tactical advantage. Would like to have taken 2 of 3, but not the end of the world.

NC St. was a highly ranked team that had some bobbles in the early going. UofL was in a position to win GM1 but didn't lock it down. Teams split the next 2 in pretty dominant fashion. Basically an evenly matched series on the road where we came up short.

If we were 3-3 instead of 2-4, there is less uproar. If we were 4-2 people would be talking about us still being "on a roll."

I think Hawks and Liggett are solid in their roles. I wouldn't tinker with either. Maybe keep a closer eye on Hawks 3rd time through the order but basically let him do what he does. Farone needs a solid performance soon or Grundy may get a look. Alternatively, we may see a "bullpen day" on SAT for BC &/or Wake. Send some combination of Farone, Grundy, Koger, Big Red & Biven (assuming Webby pitches after Hawks on FRI night as usual) out to get through the order 1x and make the opposition adapt to a new arm each time at the plate. We've struggled against that scenario midweek on occasion so maybe it can work for us?

As to Big Red, he may be rounding into form from summer and fall injury / lay off. He looked good in his appearance on SUN. If he can get back to 2022 end of season form, that might be your SAT answer.

It will also be interesting to see if / when West can return. There were lots of high hopes for him early in the season.

I hope we get offensive early tonigh like we did at UC and allow McD and Chief to give most everyone an inning or so. Lipscomb is not ACC but we witnessed them being dangerous last year. Just need to keep getting 1% better every AB & pitch.

Goodness. 5 runs on 3 hits. If our guys could hit the ball we’d have 10 runs. Just not hitting the ball very hard still. Knap has tagged the ball hard twice which is good to see.

Well, this is certainly a tad embarrassing - not taking a shot at Lipscomb.

If they don’t pull their heads out of their butts and the coaches don’t pick up their game it could be very long couple of weeks.

Bats are dead, Dead, DEAD. Seriously, 3 hits in 4 innings against Lipscomb. Really?

If they don’t pull their heads out of their butts and the coaches don’t pick up their game it could be very long couple of weeks.
This is more than a mid season funk. It’s make or break time. A loss tonight would be beyond ugly.

Reactions: Deeva
Odds on Bevin coming out in the 7th? He finished strong this last week inning. But, he struggled a bit. Bring in a fresh arm.

So much a fresh arm does us. The Lipscomb batter almost destroyed a kid on the slide in Left Center field.

Man, if KP hanging around the baseball team and giving them bad juju or what? Koger gives up a massive HR and then hits a guy. Geez.

It’s maybe time to consider the Cards aren’t very good. I don’t see the Omaha potential.

Reactions: Deeva
It’s maybe time to consider the Cards aren’t very good. I don’t see the Omaha potential.
Yeah I agree 100
Only if the offense carries this team on its back. We have two guys that made All ACC that will have to get out of their funk for any remote chance of that happening.

McDonnell better rethink his portal philosophy if he expects to keep the program rolling. Louisville has and can recruit HS players with the best of them, but getting them on campus has been a tough chore.

This team could of used a few established arms on the pitching staff and a pure power hitter in the middle of the order.

I disagree that this team is not very good. I do think they’re good - just not right now. Omaha good - probably not. Totally agree about the portal. Some of the pitchers not getting it done this season are the same ones who didn’t get it done last year or the year before.

I agree this could be a very good team. I love the freshmen I've seen in the lineup. I think Anderson and Klein could be future stars.

I think the rotation has very good potential, but it needs Kuehner back in it. I would like to see Farone the closer or the midweek starter. The bullpen is a total mess with some of the same hurlers who has struggled before with control.

This loss tonight is deeply embarrassing and if it doesn't wake up both the players and the coaches, this team may not even make the tournament.

Agree about these freshman, but too many upperclassmen have disappointed

Harder to be "glass half full" this morning. Guys trying to bunt suggests they don't feel confident swinging away. Anything to get on, I guess but that's not sustainable.

If we're any good, we have to show it the next 7 games at home. #9 BC, #10 UK, #2 Wake. 4-3 is minimum to build any momentum. 5-2 or better would be very nice. 3-4 or worse and the slide continues and we can't cite being on the road as a reason.

If they want a Top 16 or Top 8 seed, they need to perform. We shall see.

BTW - if anyone wants my 2 tix for the THU BC game, let me know. I can't make it.

McDonnell better rethink his portal philosophy if he expects to keep the program rolling. Louisville has and can recruit HS players with the best of them, but getting them on campus has been a tough chore.
I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment about the portal. I just think it's a conversation for another day.
We're right in the middle of this season and I'd rather play armchair quarterback about how this group of underperforming team can pull it together and make a push.

Reactions: 2330859
This team is struggling, but what is crazy is that through 28 games last year we had the same exact record. With losses to:

Lipscomb
South Florida
Uconn
Dartmouth
& series loss @ unranked Pitt

Dan has to correct the issues, & I have faith that he will... But what we have seen is BAD

Reactions: CardX
I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment about the portal. I just think it's a conversation for another day.
We're right in the middle of this season and I'd rather play armchair quarterback about how this group of underperforming team can pull it together and make a push.
I can walk and chew gum at the same time. As I judge the current issues with this team, I can also say why I believe it's so.

This team is struggling, but what is crazy is that through 28 games last year we had the same exact record. With losses to:

Lipscomb
South Florida
Uconn
Dartmouth
& series loss @ unranked Pitt

Dan has to correct the issues, & I have faith that he will... But what we have seen is BAD
And how did last years team end up? ACC may be stronger this year with both BC and Wake ranked in the top 10. UK is back and also ranked. Not sure our projection is headed in the same direction as last year.

Well, going to a Super Regional v TaM and taking the series to the brink - pretty good!

I honestly thought they did over-achieve. Pitching wasn’t any better. Hitting about the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT