ADVERTISEMENT

If you were the AD

I would be waiting on CSS in his office on Tuesday morning.

When he walked in;

Good morning Scott. You will fire BB as soon as I leave this office. I know he's your friend, but if you don't like it, there's the GD door.

I'll be back after next weeks game to let you know if you still have a job.

Have a great day Scott.

I wouldn’t do anything until end of year. Let the season play out. I would start looking at HC now behind the scenes. Long season but when Syracuse dog walks you with even/less talent levels I think the writing is on the wall.

I think they play better next week, can’t play worst, but I can’t see them winning. FSU will be a train wreck probably. At that point they may have no choice.

I wouldn’t do anything until end of year. Let the season play out. I would start looking at HC now behind the scenes. Long season but when Syracuse dog walks you with even talent levels I think writing is on the wall.
Let the season play out? I don't need a crystal ball for that. We're going to have less than 15,000 fans show up at games. We made the mistake of letting guys like Krapthorpe play out. Even this is different. Nothing has changed since the end of last season. He's had a whole spring and summer to get things right. Last night was obvious its still the same. I don't see things turning around.

P.S - after last season, we should have already been looking at a new HC behind the scenes. Like Tom used to say, I have a list of 3 possible HCs in my pocket all the time..

I don’t either after that mess but you aren’t hiring anyone until after the season.
The mistake with Krag was keeping that last year which appears to be the same here. We ended up with Strong.

I never have understood firing early or mid season. Recruiting is wrecked. The fans aren’t coming because the coach was fired because they are still going to suck. Now if you fired early and had someone like Bill O’Brien to take over that is different. Lance Taylor would be the guy if it happened early.

I think it will probably be with 2-3 games left which makes more sense. That way agents and Louisville can start talking. Be ready to announce someone after KY game.

If I’m the AD I’m asking myself.

“How did I manage to get my first gig at a P5 school and now what do I do?”

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
Let the season play out? I don't need a crystal ball for that. We're going to have less than 15,000 fans show up at games. We made the mistake of letting guys like Krapthorpe play out. Even this is different. Nothing has changed since the end of last season. He's had a whole spring and summer to get things right. Last night was obvious its still the same. I don't see things turning around.

P.S - after last season, we should have already been looking at a new HC behind the scenes. Like Tom used to say, I have a list of 3 possible HCs in my pocket all the time..
I’m not sure he ever said that. In any case, we can’t afford a new coach. It’s that simple. Satt is here for the remainder of his deal. Get used to it.

Look the emotional side of this is how in the world do you keep him after they come out and play that poorly. I get it but you gain nothing by doing it other than appeasing people like us.

I think I would fire Brown today but again what do you gain? It’s not like you can replace him. The entire staff did a god awful job preparing for the game. Not one unit played well. I don’t see addition by subtraction.

I honestly can’t think of a worst performance with everything that is on the line for this staff. It is honestly mystifying but it has to play out.

Reactions: maroon79
I think can wait to make firing decision until after UCF game. Only 6 days away and if start 0-2 then know going to be hard to get a winning record. If they beat UCF then continue to evaluate as season goes. Before season, I felt if has losing season then needs to be fired since 4 years is plenty of time to evaluate his tenure.

I don’t either after that mess but you aren’t hiring anyone until after the season.
The mistake with Krag was keeping that last year which appears to be the same here. We ended up with Strong.

I never have understood firing early or mid season. Recruiting is wrecked. The fans aren’t coming because the coach was fired because they are still going to suck. Now if you fired early and had someone like Bill O’Brien to take over that is different. Lance Taylor would be the guy if it happened early.

I think it will probably be with 2-3 games left which makes more sense. That way agents and Louisville can start talking. Be ready to announce someone after KY game.
Firing mid season says we are sick of effing losing. It’s sending a message. That message needs to be sent right now.

Emotionally is might feel good for a few days, but what sort of message does that send to the players? Start looking now, but no termination until the end of season.

Emotionally is might feel good for a few days, but what sort of message does that send to the players? Start looking now, but no termination until the end of season.
It says to the players “you deserve better.” No sense in deceiving them or the recruits by keeping him on then firing at the end of the season. That’s not fair to them. Season already looks lost if last night was any indication.

The players aren’t stupid they knew he is on the hot seat and they came out flat/unprepared.

The message by firing him during season is the Admin gave up on coaches and players. There is no salvaging the season at that point.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Some pretty fair responses.

Probably re-evaluate after the home opener. If you are 0-3 it's pretty much a lost season.

When is the bye week this year?

The players aren’t stupid they knew he is on the hot seat and they came out flat/unprepared.

The message by firing him during season is the Admin gave up on coaches and players. There is no salvaging the season at that point.
I agree with your first statement so logically, if the players can’t / won’t play hard - even when they know that jobs may be lost - what does that say for their belief in this staff?

I disagree that firing him during the season says to the players that the administration gave up on them. First, these kids realize more than they ever have (NIL & transfer portal merry go round) this is a BUSINESS. And as someone else said, firing him during the season indicates that the administration wants better for the players than they are currently getting.

If Stumblefield doesn’t get fired by the end of the season then at the very least have Lance Thomas take over the play calling. Other than recruiting purposes I don’t understand why he was brought in if he isn’t calling the plays. B.Brown def needs to go, but who becomes the interim DC? If Stumblefield gets canned who is the interim? Certainly not B.Brown. L.Thomas?

I wouldn’t do anything until end of year. Let the season play out. I would start looking at HC now behind the scenes. Long season but when Syracuse dog walks you with even/less talent levels I think the writing is on the wall.

I think they play better next week, can’t play worst, but I can’t see them winning. FSU will be a train wreck probably. At that point they may have no choice.

I agree with all of this. You have to let the season play out and while things look headed towards a 3-9 year the fact is that it hasn't yet. I still say he needs to go 7-5 or better, otherwise it will never happen and Heird will need to FARRR that sonofabeyitch.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Fire him now is so stupid and knee jerk reaction. Let the season play out and evaluate at the end. Replacing a coach during the year never helps. As proven by the mack firing you can't get another coach until after the year ends anyway.
This isn’t a knee jerk reaction. This is year 4. We’ve had plenty of time to evaluate. Plenty of time. There is zero excuse for the Syracuse debacle. Firing now gives you more time to search for a replacement. Wait until the end of the season, when other programs are firing their coaches and looking for new ones, puts Heird at a disadvantage. The newly appointed AD has a huge opportunity to prove himself. Waiting only further damages the program. You snooze, you lose.

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction. This is year 4. We’ve had plenty of time to evaluate. Plenty of time. There is zero excuse for the Syracuse debacle. Firing now gives you more time to search for a replacement. Wait until the end of the season, when other programs are firing their coaches and looking for new ones, puts Heird at a disadvantage. The newly appointed AD has a huge opportunity to prove himself. Waiting only further damages the program. You snooze, you lose.
It really depends how it plays out doesn’t it. He isn’t getting fired at 6-6 or better. Now if he gets blown out in the 1st 3 games it is going to be really hard to get 6 wins. Heird can start really researching candidates at that point. Then decide later what direction he is going to go.

He can get in front of it without firing him.

It really depends how it plays out doesn’t it. He isn’t getting fired at 6-6 or better. Now if he gets blown out in the 1st 3 games it is going to be really hard to get 6 wins. Heird can start really researching candidates at that point. Then decide later what direction he is going to go.

He can get in front of it without firing him.
It can’t be afforded to play out. However, if Heird is anything like his mentor, he already has a guy in mind. The Cuse game looked like we have a coach who has quit. Similar to Petrino, the guy who hired him is gone. Satt is also aware he has very little support. When the Cards get murdered by both UCF and FSU, Heird will have no choice.

If I’m the AD, I’m asking what the hell happened, but I’m not in any hurry to fire anyone. I want to see how we do at UCF before I’m convinced of anything about how good or bad we actually are. Plenty of pretty good teams have gone into Syracuse and gotten their butts handed to them.

This team is supposed to be the best Satterfield has fielded here, and it’s very important that it starts showing that this week.

Reactions: Art79 and Mayoman
Can't fire him right now. Who you gonna replace him with ? You fire him now season is over. At least if you keep him he "might" turn things around. If he doesn't you don't lose much because as I said you fire him season is over anyway.

If I’m the AD, I’m asking what the hell happened, but I’m not in any hurry to fire anyone. I want to see how we do at UCF before I’m convinced of anything about how good or bad we actually are. Plenty of pretty good teams have gone into Syracuse and gotten their butts handed to them.

This team is supposed to be the best Satterfield has fielded here, and it’s very important that it starts showing that this week.
Losing at Syracuse, not a crime. Looking inept, slow, unmotivated while showing no signs of improvement, death by firing.

I think you tell him this, if UCF drives the field and makes your defense look like they’re playing the GotDamned Jets, I’m firing your D coordinator at half time and if your offense doesn’t score over 28 pts I’m firing you after the game

No. and here's why, I'm as angry as the next guy, but firing him week 2 gives you no advantage and only makes you look bad to prospective hires. Give him a chance to right the ship and if it's still this bad around the bye week, let him go. Give Lance a shot at the head spot and see what he can do.

If Satterfield is fired, what happens to the top ten recruiting class for 2023.

The class is very good, but it's not top ten. But, what you do is keep the recruiters on board who have been recruiting the prospects. We'll lose some, but so freaking what. Get Satt the **** out of here.

Reactions: BPGhost
I’d say that it depends on who you get to replace him. The Clarkson kid is really the lynchpin - and given that his father is a top exec with adidas, good chance that there’s more at play (including NIL) than some desire to play for scott freaking satterfield. Feel pretty confident if they get Brohm, the class would stay intact.

Today at the presser Satt mentioned several times about the lack of energy. If you are a head coach that cannot get your team “up” for game 1 then I don’t care who you recruit. That shows an inability to connect with your team which is job 1 of a head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT