ADVERTISEMENT

"IF" Louisville makes a Bowl Game should Lamar Jackson/Jaire Alexander sit out

Feb 19, 2003
I am inclined to say yes...will not be a big Bowl game and the injuries that happened to Notre Dame Jaylen Smith and Michigan Jake Butt cost them millions....

Reactions: American Male
I am inclined to say yes...will not be a big Bowl game and the injuries that happened to Notre Dame Jaylen Smith and Michigan Jake Butt cost them millions....
IDK, should UofL cut their scholarship offers by a semester? This is a slippery slope. On one hand I understand they're on the fast track to millions and shouldn't play in what many consider a meaningless game and take a chance on getting hurt, but on the other hand, the university offered them a free education. My daughter who will soon start Medical school has to pay for her education and it costs a lot. Should she sit out once she gets a intern job so she doesn't take a chance on breaking a nail while writing a paper? LOL!!

IDK, should UofL cut their scholarship offers by a semester? This is a slippery slope. On one hand I understand they're on the fast track to millions and shouldn't play in what many consider a meaningless game and take a chance on getting hurt, but on the other hand, the university offered them a free education. My daughter who will soon start Medical school has to pay for her education and it costs a lot. Should she sit out once she gets a intern job so she doesn't take a chance on breaking a nail while writing a paper? LOL!!

The thing is...not talking about Regular Season games but outside of the CFP Bowl games are exhibition games...to me they already fulfilled their obligations and in Jackson case he brought a Heisman. And it will help long term IMO in recruiting...it appears it did not hurt Stanford and LSU when Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffery sat out of the Citrus Bowl and Sun Bowl last year...plus IF we make a Bowl game would rather give those reps to Puma Pass

Last edited:
I'm sure what ever bowl it is, they would be marketing it around Jackson....if he sits, they lose gate revenue. TV money is already there, though.

Not meaning this as a knock on Alexander but, I could see him sitting out due to him already being hurt this year. I just don’t think that LJ would.

Assuming we make a bowl, it would be something like the Pinstripe Bowl. That being the case is almost prefer Lamar sat out so Pass can get some run. We might legitimately have the toughest schedule in the country next year - Bama, Clemson, FSU with Francois back, GaTech, improving Syracuse and Wake Forest, senior laden U.K. Everyone of those teams could be ranked.

Sitting out meaningless (a few DO have meaning) bowl game seems to be the wise choice, unfortunately for the fans. And I do see it becoming a more common choice for the potential top draft picks. The potential loss of millions is real. I'm sure it's a very tough decision for the players. Weighing the financial risk with their competitive spirit and the feeling of letting down their coaches and teammates...and the fans. But those dollar$ tho.

I’m not sure I’ve ever heard the Commissioner say... “with the 2nd pick in the 2018 draft... the Cleveland Browns Select....Lamar Jackson.. Quarterback errrr.. All Purpose dude from the University of Louisville.

Dude, that is not even funny. I wouldn't wish the Browns on anybody even Johnny FB almost died going there. Lamar deserves better. You forgot the lol, I'm joking line.

Dude, that is not even funny. I wouldn't wish the Browns on anybody even Johnny FB almost died going there. Lamar deserves better. You forgot the lol, I'm joking line.

Johnny Football would have imploded with any team...dude had a substance abuse problem coming into the league...but LJ would be a horrible fit in the AFC North or AFC/NFC East...

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Ok.

So once/if we win our 6th game (Bowl eligible) why don’t we sit them the rest of the way?

The rest of the games are meaningless as far as a bowl that matters.

If we’re going to baby the... I mean protect them, let’s start ASAP.

Ok.

So once/if we win our 6th game (Bowl eligible) why don’t we sit them the rest of the way?

The rest of the games are meaningless as far as a bowl that matters.

If we’re going to baby the... I mean protect them, let’s start ASAP.
I don't think anybody is saying WE want them to sit. And I certainly don't think the coaching staff will sit them. It's not really our or the coaching staff's decision. I think all we are saying is that we can understand if THEY choose to sit.

Players sitting out is going to kill bowl games.

Seriously, why would any UL fan spend the amount of money a bowl requires (other than Music City) if our ONLY Chance of winning is sitting out?

I don't think anybody is saying WE want them to sit. And I certainly don't think the coaching staff will sit them. It's not really our or the coaching staff's decision. I think all we are saying is that we can understand if THEY choose to sit.

When Notre Dame Jaylen Smith and Michigan Jake Butt tore up their knees in the Fiesta Bowl and Orange Bowl in back to back years it cost them literally millions of dollars and was with some players a game changer...and Steelers is correct...not saying we want them to sit but if they do can completely understand it...it becomes a business decision at that point and for the most part the Bowl game is about the season coming up

Last edited:
I’m not sure I’ve ever heard the Commissioner say... “with the 2nd pick in the 2018 draft... the Cleveland Browns Select....Lamar Jackson.. Quarterback errrr.. All Purpose dude from the University of Louisville.
I'm not sure if the Browns had the 2nd pick and need a QB they would take LJ. McShay has 3 QBs ahead of Lamar right now. Darnold, Rosen and Allen.

Screen_Shot_2017-02-22_at_12.29.49_PM.png

They should sit out starting now, go get an nfl camp coach and start refining some things that will help their own stock. They are probably nicer people than we are but what on the field has made you think gee id like to stick around risk getting hurt and possibly cost myself a lot of money

They should sit out starting now, go get an nfl camp coach and start refining some things that will help their own stock. They are probably nicer people than we are but what on the field has made you think gee id like to stick around risk getting hurt and possibly cost myself a lot of money
Why would you draft someone who bails in their team and fails to compete? I don’t see Lamar ever doing that.

Reactions: nccardfan
Why would you draft someone who bails in their team and fails to compete? I don’t see Lamar ever doing that.

If you bail during the season that is a red flag...nobody in the NFL is not going to gig you if you skip the Bowl game though...Both Fournette and McCaffery still went Top 10 overall and they sat out the Bowl Game...but during the season is too far...

If they sit the bowl game they're bailing on their team.

Bail now, or bail later. No difference AFAIC.

This is like a prostitute negotiating the price. Whatever the outcome, we fans are getting screwed.

And, the NFL doesn't give a crap if they sit out college games. The NFL wants to put exciting players out there. Besides, if they quit in the pro's, the pro's save a shipload of money. They know these guys won't quit on them.

Hell, they would probably give a kid who quit ON A BAD TEAM in mid season a bonus for "good business sense". :rolleyes:

NFL doesnt care, they have signed contracts in the league so there is a bit more incentive to show up and play, if im an nfl coach id rather have a healthy player who "bailed" on his old team than having to draft one with a torn acl because he wanted to stick it out. If we were playing for something meaningful id say they should play but at this point its millions of dollars on the line. Now im not saying the will bail or I hope they bail by any means, just saying I can understand why if they did indeed decide to

I am fine with whatever decision they make. Easy for me to sit here and say "Have some integrity and play! Think of your team!" when millions are at stake for these first round talent type guys.

I just hope they decide in time for me to save a measly couple of grand.;)

Or, if I don't save it, be able to watch on TV from someplace warm.

What bowl are we going to? We are 4-3 and just lost to the worst team in our conference.

I'm definitely struggling to find two more wins on our schedule. Syracuse? Maybe. Wake Forest? Doubt it. FSU? UK on the road? Seriously doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT