ADVERTISEMENT

I worry about Todd Grantham...

That explanation would make more sense if it were freshman or sophomores that were missing tackles - it wasn't. It was seniors. You think they've forgotten how to tackle?

Just curious - are you close enough to the UGA program that you know firsthand that TG doesn't teach fundamentals?
I am (one of my former HS players played two years under him at Georgia). He told me they did live tackling drills maybe 15 times in two years...and none during the season except in an off week. His position coach (linebackers) did everything teaching wise. He said Grantham was all about scheme and was not interested in teaching the players anything.

I am (one of my former HS players played two years under him at Georgia). He told me they did live tackling drills maybe 15 times in two years...and none during the season except in an off week. His position coach (linebackers) did everything teaching wise. He said Grantham was all about scheme and was not interested in teaching the players anything.
So was your player one of the ones that got to college "not knowing how to tackle"? Not that reviewing fundamentals aren't important but if a kid can't tackle as a HS senior, he probably shouldn't get an offer from Georgia or Louisville.

Reactions: Louisvillian
This is typical message board freak out; the fact is against Houston's type of offense a 4-2-5 with your three standard DTs manning the two DTs and your 3 OLBs rotating at the four down positions is the smart play. You basically go nickel as your base package because you can't sub people on and off.

Our problem isn't or wasn't scheme, or problem was tackling and complete breakdown in containment; not dissimilar to Auburn in that way. Mauldin and Mount have outperformed Fields and Brown of that there can be no doubt. But people who somehow think that JHC hasn't been a monster at safety are high.

The simple truth is we had a terrible Houston game in all phases, including defensively. The thing to keep in mind when listening to these UGA posters claiming "we told you so", is that "3rd and Grantham's" 2014 UofL defense finished #6 in the country in total defense, AND #12 in the country in 3rd down conversion percentage defense after Grumpy told us all how bad Grantham's defense would be, particularly on 3rd down defense.

That explanation would make more sense if it were freshman or sophomores that were missing tackles - it wasn't. It was seniors. You think they've forgotten how to tackle?

Just curious - are you close enough to the UGA program that you know firsthand that TG doesn't teach fundamentals?
]

I am not at practice everyday if that is what you are asking, but a couple of things give me a clue to how things are going. One is I have coached defensive football for almost 35 years, I know what proper tackling technique involves. Now I realize that people have different techniques, but the second thing that gives me a better look at how Todd Grantham conducts his practice is that I have a former player who also is a nephew who tells me how Grantham conducted his practices. Very little teaching of fundentals, no teaching of head placement, no teaching of wrapping up a ball carrier, no teaching of how to take on and shed blockers. His entire practice is positioning and reaction to motion and formations by the offense. Have you not noticed the defense just playing slower, being less physical, RB's breaking more tackles? Our defense regressed every year he was at UGA, he always has an excuse, depth, lack of experience were his favorite two.

But what the heck man, if you are thrilled with having him, every UGA fan is as thrilled he is your DC as you are.

Wasn't Houston supposed to be one of those shitty early games for the cards??

No. We expected a W, but not 4th string mop up game.

Houston has won at least 8 games for 3 years straight. Most uk FBS OOC opps haven't.

Funny how all these Georgia fans are yelling I told you so and that Grantham sucks.

Guess they know more than former NFL standout Linebacker And current NFL head Coach Jack Del Rio who wanted Grantham to be the Defensive Coordinator of the Raiders. By the way their D looked Sunday I understand why.

Actually, they all just said that he isn't a good college D coordinator and is much more suited for the NFL due to his coaching style.

Funny how all these Georgia fans are yelling I told you so and that Grantham sucks.

Guess they know more than former NFL standout Linebacker And current NFL head Coach Jack Del Rio who wanted Grantham to be the Defensive Coordinator of the Raiders. By the way their D looked Sunday I understand why.
No kidding. Georgia fans are idiots when it comes to football. Did they forget that Todd was highly sought after from the NFL last year? Did they forget he oversaw a top 5 defense last season? We all know how good Todd is, they need to stay on their own boards and worry about which bottom feeder they are going to blow a good season against this year. Probably South Carolina this week. Todd is a great coach. Do you really think Tom would pay upwards of $1M for a coach that supposedly Georgia fans didn't want? Doubt it.

Actually, they all just said that he isn't a good college D coordinator and is much more suited for the NFL due to his coaching style.
Obviously you haven't been reading these boards over the last year.

I've been to almost every open practice since Grantham has been here and if you think that individual instruction and teaching fundamentals are missing from Grantham's coaching then you are smoking your socks.

All that BS about his schemes being too hard to learn came from some disgruntled and lazy pros mostly from Grantham's tenure with the Cleveland Browns(and I'm a Browns fan) Amazing that the Dallas Cowboys hired him right after that and then he ends up as Mark Richt's D-Coordinator at UGA and Asst Head Coach.

Does this team need to tackle better than they did against Houston. Sure do

No. We expected a W, but not 4th string mop up game.

Houston has won at least 8 games for 3 years straight. Most uk FBS OOC opps haven't.

Most UK FBS OOC opponents haven't won 8 games for 3 straight years but Louisiana Lafayette has won 9 three straight years and South Carolina has been a very good team the last several years(beyond last year) and the game was on the road.

So to call the two wins from UK this year the result of "shitty early season games" while the Houston game at home is a tough game is total nonsense....which is expected from Zipp who prides himself on style(very relatively speaking) over any substance. can't wait to see the encore statements

Actually - no they didn't. The only one who has floated that has been Grumpy. It may be an astute assessment or, it might just be his opinion - we'll have to see how it plays out.

I've been to almost every open practice since Grantham has been here and if you think that individual instruction and teaching fundamentals are missing from Grantham's coaching then you are smoking your socks.
Yeah,these guys learn at an early age(at least that's how it was with me) how to tackle.Lots of guys fall into bad habits in hs,tackling high at the shoulder pads or trying to wrestle the runner down,because they're usually the superior athlete.That doesn't work at this level.

You have to have the mentality going in that you're gonna have to lay a hat on somebody to send a message that it's your field.That's what I didn't see, save a few on Saturday.The leaders of the defense have to have that sixth sense that the abandon is not there and right the ship.

]

I am not at practice everyday if that is what you are asking, but a couple of things give me a clue to how things are going. One is I have coached defensive football for almost 35 years, I know what proper tackling technique involves. Now I realize that people have different techniques, but the second thing that gives me a better look at how Todd Grantham conducts his practice is that I have a former player who also is a nephew who tells me how Grantham conducted his practices. Very little teaching of fundentals, no teaching of head placement, no teaching of wrapping up a ball carrier, no teaching of how to take on and shed blockers. His entire practice is positioning and reaction to motion and formations by the offense. Have you not noticed the defense just playing slower, being less physical, RB's breaking more tackles? Our defense regressed every year he was at UGA, he always has an excuse, depth, lack of experience were his favorite two.

But what the heck man, if you are thrilled with having him, every UGA fan is as thrilled he is your DC as you are.

I'm happy that UofL was able to land someone of his knowledge and stature in the wake of Bedford leaving. To answer your question, no I don't see the defense playing slower and honestly, you don't either. Not unless you are a closet Card fan or a defensive savant - no offense but, neither of which I think you are. I guess we'll have to wait and see if TG is up to the challenge and, what deficiencies exist in the new UGA DC after you all go thru your conference schedule.

Most UK FBS OOC opponents haven't won 8 games for 3 straight years but Louisiana Lafayette has won 9 three straight years and South Carolina has been a very good team the last several years(beyond last year) and the game was on the road.

So to call the two wins from UK this year the result of "shitty early season games" while the Houston game at home is a tough game is total nonsense....which is expected from Zipp who prides himself on style(very relatively speaking) over any substance. can't wait to see the encore statements
Talking up another Sun Belt Powerhouse who was breaking in a new QB huh? How very UK of you.

Reactions: BPGhost
I agree Public. The Defense coordinator is responsible for all the defense play. If tackling is bad bring out the old dummies and go back to fundamentals.

It actually is each and every position coach's responsibility to reinforce good tackling. The DC delegates things like that as he prepares the game plan coordinating all groups into a cohesive unit.

If we want to go one step further, it really is the head coach's job to make sure every position group is working.

Del Rio wanted him according to who? If Grantham was actually offered an NFL job he would be on in, well like Petrino was when the Falcons offered him one. He went after every open NFL job after each season when we had him. He could actually be successful there, he wouldn't have to be concerned with fundamentals and his players wouldn't have to be concerned with classes, his schemes are designed for guys who don't have a limit of 20 hours a week to learn and work on them. Time restrictions and his not teaching technique and fundamentals weaknesses, football knowledge is not, But 20 hours a week isn't enough time to learn his concepts, players end up thinking instead of reacting, several of your posters are seeing that.

So Grumpy Georgia Guy disappears for over a year and reemerges when Grantham catches some heat. Why am I not surprised?

LPT Football: He's been hiding in our bunker...

...to call the two wins from UK this year the result of "shitty early season games" while the Houston game at home is a tough game is total nonsense....which is expected from Zipp...
The four OOC teams on the 2014 LPT football schedule barely broke .500; and that's with U of L included. The six teams on the first half of the LPT schedule last year finished a combined six games UNDER .500.

LPT has come close to mastering the art of dummying down the schedule--esp. in the early season--to get enough wins to keep their coach and AD gainfully employed. Congratulations are obviously in order.

LPT Football: We'll just settle for our $25 million check...

Its funny to hear you guys talk about tackling fundamentals like it is pop warner football. Of course these guys know "how" to tackle. The issue is being in the right position to "make" the tackle and that does fall on the DC.

Del Rio wanted him according to who? If Grantham was actually offered an NFL job he would be on in, well like Petrino was when the Falcons offered him one.
According to ESPN if that's a credible enough source for you trolls obsessed with Louisville's D-Coordinator. The Raiders offered Grantham a 2 year deal to be their new Defensive Coordinator job 2 weeks after new Head Coach Jack Del Rio was hired

I guess you are questioning whether Del Rio made the offer or Al Davis from the grave? Try to save your energy or trying to find Mark Richt's replacement after they fail to somehow win the watered down SEC Lite division this year.http://espn.go.com/college-football...todd-grantham-rejecting-oakland-raiders-offer

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of the 3-4 either, especially right now. I know we have 4 talented LB's but that should not be why we stick with the 3-4. Last year, Mauldin was a guy who could put his hand down and rush. Our 3 defensive lineman seem to be all nose tackles and designed to stop the rush, but it has backfired and we are getting gashed for 7-8 yards on 1st down.

I think this is a big part of the problem - we DON'T have 4 talented LBs. We appear to have about 2.5, based on the productivity we've gotten so far. Burgess and Kelsey have been super productive, but Fields, Brown, and Treyvon Young have just not made many plays so far - at least not anywhere near what we had last year when we had both Mauldin and Mount playing outside linebacker. Those two guys made the 53-man roster for the Jets and Titans, and their absence definitely is showing. Those two guys combined for 23.5 tackles for loss, 13 Quarterback hurries, and 11.5 sacks in 12 regular season games. This year, we've gotten just 2.5 tackles for loss, 0 sacks and 0 quarterback hurries so far out of our OLB's.

Last year, when teams attempted to run stretch plays to either side of the field, Mount or Mauldin was there to blow it up more often than not. Our guys this year are not doing nearly as good of a job "setting the edge" as M&M did last year.

I think this is a big part of the problem - we DON'T have 4 talented LBs. We appear to have about 2.5, based on the productivity we've gotten so far. Burgess and Kelsey have been super productive, but Fields, Brown, and Treyvon Young have just not made many plays so far - at least not anywhere near what we had last year when we had both Mauldin and Mount playing outside linebacker..
That's what I see too. Brown and Young have been very disappointing at LB and Pio Vatuvei seems to be just plain overmatched at this level at DE, at least against the 2 quality O-lines we have faced this year.

Ghost,

Do you follow U of L football much? Probably not. Ever heard of:

Preston Brown
Lorenzo Mauldin
Calvin Pryor
C Gaines
D Mount
Marcus Smith
Brandon Dunn
BJ Dubose
Gerold Holliman

All defensive players under Bedford...

Funny watching LPT fans talking about defense. One of the worst defensive football teams in the country has fans who know that side of the ball.

What else am I supposed to believe?

LPT Football: Someday that defense will win another road game...
And hittin on Grantham as if he were an LPT coach...ban'em!! lol...

I don't understand the defending of Grantham. It's not like UL is hurting for talent defensively. Your front 7 are all returning veterans that will likely be drafted and you bring in the Big12 freshman defensive player of the year and two DBs that started for UGA. Where does the blame go? Youth? No you actually have a veteran defense. Lack of talent? On paper you should be stacked. Why have players that were studs seemingly gotten worse at form tackling?

People are trying to discredit Grumpy but he was saying the same things that are coming to fruition in Granthams second year the day you hired him. Grantham's head was on the chopping block when Jurich hired him. Richt gave him a chance to look for another job before he fired him. Jurich could've waited a month longer and got Grantham at a big discount but he wanted to give off the impression that he stole Grantham from Georgia. UL overpaid for Grantham that's for sure

Ghost,

Do you follow U of L football much? Probably not. Ever heard of:

Preston Brown
Lorenzo Mauldin
Calvin Pryor
C Gaines
D Mount
Marcus Smith
Brandon Dunn
BJ Dubose
Gerold Holliman

All defensive players under Bedford...

Why the salt?

First - I've been a season ticket holder since JLS. Not sure based on your screen name if you live in nc or, just have an infatuation with
the area. Do you go to the games?

Second, all of those players were great and certainly benefitted from playing for Bedford - that wasn't my point. My point was it seems a little bit of a stretch to say that the success Louisville's defense had last year should be attributed to Bedford.

Maudin & Mount in particular benefitted from the switch to the 3-4 - certainly made them more versatile and attractive to the NFL.

Holliman's record breaking season was a complete result of TG's defensive scheme allowing him the freedom to roam and under routes leading to most of his picks.

Pryor, Brown & Smith - well they didn't play for TG - they were drafted in 2014 so I'm not sure what to tell you there...

I don't understand the defending of Grantham.

I'm guessing that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things you don't understand. Head back over to the hillbilly board and start working on excuses why DJ Elliot should keep his job at the end of the year. I guess Lumpy would have given him a chance to look for another job but the only one he was qualified for, was taken by Naviar...

I don't understand the defending of Grantham. It's not like UL is hurting for talent defensively. Your front 7 are all returning veterans that will likely be drafted and you bring in the Big12 freshman defensive player of the year and two DBs that started for UGA. Where does the blame go? Youth? No you actually have a veteran defense. Lack of talent? On paper you should be stacked. Why have players that were studs seemingly gotten worse at form tackling?

People are trying to discredit Grumpy but he was saying the same things that are coming to fruition in Granthams second year the day you hired him. Grantham's head was on the chopping block when Jurich hired him. Richt gave him a chance to look for another job before he fired him. Jurich could've waited a month longer and got Grantham at a big discount but he wanted to give off the impression that he stole Grantham from Georgia. UL overpaid for Grantham that's for sure

Look at it this way, ask yourself why UK fans/posters were defending Stoops when rivals were trolling UK fans that Stoops was a bad hire during and after his disasterous first 2-10 season? Once again, Grantham's defense at UofL finished #6 in the country last year. Why weren't rival fans over here telling us what a good hire Grantham was then? Grumpy was noticeably absent here during the season last year. Trolls are simply jumping at the opportunity to troll our board with "I told you so" because we had a particularly poor defensive effort against Houston. It's what trolls do.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="CATFANFOLIFE87, post: 114770, member: 4228". Richt gave him a chance to look for another job before he fired him. Jurich could've waited a month longer and got Grantham at a big discount but he wanted to give off the impression that he stole Grantham from Georgia. UL overpaid for Grantham that's for sure[/QUOTE

Yeah because that's how Jurich became the best AD in the country because he worries about giving off impressions and loves wasting money.

That's what I see too. Brown and Young have been very disappointing at LB and Pio Vatuvei seems to be just plain overmatched at this level at DE, at least against the 2 quality O-lines we have faced this year.

I noticed that Vatuvei was having problems against Houston. At one point early in the Houston game, he walked off the field very slowly - like he didn't know where he was. He played later in the game, but he wasn't very effective.

Of course, in the fourth quarter Rankins and Brown weren't very effective either, because they had to defend nearly all 92 snaps against Houston. To me, that issue is where Grantham deserves some criticism. We needed to use our depth more. Our top defenders were on the field for too many snaps in that game, and it showed during Houston's last two drives, where they scored TDs both times.

He appears to be a pretty good defensive coordinator so far. It is important to realize that even good defensive coordinators can look bad when going against great offenses. Last year, we were probably ranked higher than we deserved, because we faced a number of opponents who were ranked middle of the pack or lower on offense. This year we have faced two really good offenses, and we will face another really good one tomorrow night.

Reactions: SoulSr and BPGhost

Did you NOT watch the games! Turn-overs by the Offense defeated the CARDS! When the ball was turned over points were immediately score by the opposing team! Check and see if I'm not right! Eliminate those costly errors and we win!

Reactions: SoulSr
...People are trying to discredit Grumpy but he was saying the same things that are coming to fruition in Granthams second year the day you hired him...
A broken clock is right twice a day.

LPT Football: Harboring gum-flapping idiots...

Reactions: Deeva
Look at it this way, ask yourself why UK fans/posters were defending Stoops when rivals were trolling UK fans that Stoops was a bad hire during and after his disasterous first 2-10 season? Once again, Grantham's defense at UofL finished #6 in the country last year. Why weren't rival fans over here telling us what a good hire Grantham was then? Grumpy was noticeably absent here during the season last year. Trolls are simply jumping at the opportunity to troll our board with "I told you so" because we had a particularly poor defensive effort against Houston. It's what trolls do.
Don't want to put words in your mouth but are you saying Grumpy is just trolling here?

To my recollection, he has said (consistently, and since day one) that Grantham was a scheme over technique DC, and that you'd see the defense reacting slower and being less good at fundamentals as the years went on. So far, he seems to be on track, as the defense was demonstrably better last year (again, so far) with comparable talent.

He also said that JHC, while perhaps a half-step slow to be a safety at the highest level, was a legit 5* player and would be great in run support (and good in pass coverage). He seems to be pretty on target there too.

His last prediction was that Wiggins was a 2* player with a 5* mouth. That might not be a very nice thing to say, and the jury is still out on how good a coverage corner Wiggins will be.

As for the Stoops comparison, I think there's a difference between a rival fan saying "your coach will suck because you suck blah blah blah" and what Grumpy offered, which was a very specific critique of Grantham based in experience following (closely) the team he coached previously. You guys obviously didn't like what he had to say, and I get that, but to say he's just a troll who shows up when it suits him is a little pejorative. JMO.

Don't want to put words in your mouth but are you saying Grumpy is just trolling here?

To my recollection, he has said (consistently, and since day one) that Grantham was a scheme over technique DC, and that you'd see the defense reacting slower and being less good at fundamentals as the years went on. So far, he seems to be on track, as the defense was demonstrably better last year (again, so far) with comparable talent.

He also said that JHC, while perhaps a half-step slow to be a safety at the highest level, was a legit 5* player and would be great in run support (and good in pass coverage). He seems to be pretty on target there too.

His last prediction was that Wiggins was a 2* player with a 5* mouth. That might not be a very nice thing to say, and the jury is still out on how good a coverage corner Wiggins will be.

As for the Stoops comparison, I think there's a difference between a rival fan saying "your coach will suck because you suck blah blah blah" and what Grumpy offered, which was a very specific critique of Grantham based in experience following (closely) the team he coached previously. You guys obviously didn't like what he had to say, and I get that, but to say he's just a troll who shows up when it suits him is a little pejorative. JMO.

The fact is, the defense is not reacting slower than last year. Grumpy (who I don't think is a troll btw) has come up with a narrative to describe why UGA has not performed to their potential the last number of years and has laid the blame at TG's feet. Truth be told, and I mean this not disrespectfully to UGA, those circumstances predated TG tenure there.

Yut trolls like yourself have latched onto this narrative simply to come here under the guise of football talk. Truth is, if you knew anything about football, you wouldn't be a yut fan to begin with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT