ADVERTISEMENT

I worry about Todd Grantham...

Not here to cause problems or get blasted but I think Louisville fans are beginning to understand why UGA fans were VERY excited when UL overpaid for Grantham and "stole" him away. They were begging for him to be replaced. Alot of his mistakes were covered up by very talented players. Offensively UL looked good and moved the ball well at times. OT was glad to hear the Quick injury wasn't as serious as it looked to be and was speculated. I had heard the possibility of an ACL injury and I am happy that wasn't the case.

Funny watching LPT fans talking about defense. One of the worst defensive football teams in the country has fans who know that side of the ball.

What else am I supposed to believe?

LPT Football: Someday that defense will win another road game...

I am not a big fan of the 3-4 either, especially right now. I know we have 4 talented LB's but that should not be why we stick with the 3-4. Last year, Mauldin was a guy who could put his hand down and rush. Our 3 defensive lineman seem to be all nose tackles and designed to stop the rush, but it has backfired and we are getting gashed for 7-8 yards on 1st down.

Funny watching LPT fans talking about defense. One of the worst defensive football teams in the country has fans who know that side of the ball.

It took SuCkS 4 years to win a road game. UofL and WKU both won 2 $EC road games
in the last 4 years. Baby steps for the blewbies.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
I have always thought that fans usually know a lot more about their teams than the national experts. That is why I was really concerned about the Grantham hire after the Georgia fans celebrated us "stealing" him away.

You don't need to be a D1 coach to know this D has some serious talent. Rankins, Kelsey, Burgess, Harvey-Clemons are all NFL players. Still the D is getting progressively worse since the start of last season. Fundamentals are getting worse.

I think you need to realize just how much you lost on the defensive side of the ball from last year. I understand that as fans it's easy to only see the positives, but when you guys were pumping that this defense could be better than last years you were setting yourself up for failure.

It took SuCkS 4 years to win a road game. UofL and WKU both won 2 $EC road games
in the last 4 years. Baby steps for the blewbies.
all we can do is play the schedule in front of us. '15 and '16 were the years we were expecting to make some noise. we're 2-0 this year and you really can't do better than that. all the talk about the past will mean very little as these young guys gain experience and and get better.

The problem was different yesterday than against auburn. The 3-4 is predicated on the DT / DEs being good enough to command double teams freeing the linebackers to fill and make plays. Auburn's OL was able to control Louisville's DL with one on one blocking and get to the linebackers. That's why their OL was 6 yards down the field on most running plays.

Yesterday it was simply a matter of terrible tackling - players were in position to make plays - many for large losses - but failed to get the guy on the ground.

All that said, if the offense is going to play as poorly as the did, the defense won't have much of a chance. BTW, why can't Louisville recruit a kicker who can kick the damn ball out of the end zone. It's ridiculous.

I agree with the poor tackling, we either tried to hit them hard without wrapping them up thinking the impact of the hit would knock them down. The thing that was worse was when we would try and strip the ball, we would actually pull the runner forward 5 or 6 yards it was awful to watch.
Whatever happened to fundamental tackling where up plant your helmet on the ball with a hard hit and your arms are wrapped around the lower part of the body and you push and lift with force all in one quick motion ?

Hey hey hey! LPT kids finally got a plane ride as the victors. Hope some selfies were taken!

LPT Football: Our guys act like girls...

all we can do is play the schedule in front of us. '15 and '16 were the years we were expecting to make some noise. we're 2-0 this year and you really can't do better than that. all the talk about the past will mean very little as these young guys gain experience and and get better.

What are you talking about. You guys started out 5-1 last season, and then
imploded. EVERY team has young guys. 95% of true freshman should be redshirted.
Older stronger players make for the best advantage.

LPT Football: It all depends on how $hitty our early games are...

Well, the fans at George held him in low regard! In fact they threw parties when he left. I hope goes to a pro team myself, soon. i hate the damn 3-3-5 defense.

Well, the fans at George held him in low regard! In fact they threw parties when he left. I hope goes to a pro team myself, soon. i hate the damn 3-3-5 defense.
Total hyperbole with regard to uga fans. If you think those fans that took to the message boards weren't butthurt about their DC going to a program they consider beneath them - not sure what to tell you.

Btw - it's not a 3-3-5 in fact, more like a 3-5-3 with JHC occasionally providing run support. So you're ready for TG to go, who you got coming in?

Reactions: Louisvillian
I have always thought that fans usually know a lot more about their teams than the national experts. That is why I was really concerned about the Grantham hire after the Georgia fans celebrated us "stealing" him away.

You don't need to be a D1 coach to know this D has some serious talent. Rankins, Kelsey, Burgess, Harvey-Clemons are all NFL players. Still the D is getting progressively worse since the start of last season. Fundamentals are getting worse.

^^^^^
This

So, explain to me how it's TG's fault that our defense - despite being in the right place at the right time schematically, failed to get the guy on the ground?

For myself it is also up to the DC to reinforce proper technique and that includes tackling....

For myself it is also up to the DC to reinforce proper technique and that includes tackling....
And you don't think that's being done? They tackled pretty well against auburn - granted they were beaten many times at the point of attack but, they did not have the same issue as yesterday. Is your contention that this is a cumulative effect - either between game 1 & 2 or, year 1 & 2?

So stuff this basic the coaches got done last year but aren't getting done this year. In essence, that's what you're saying...

Not counting the coaches out...that silly but everyone needs to step it up...yesterday was extremely disappointing but the real season starts Thursday

Reactions: SoulSr
We could not dwfwnd the sweepa against either Houston or Auburn so this is systemic problem of this defense.
Umm, what sweeps are you talking about? In both games the vast majority of the damage done were on read option dives. In fact when Houston called an actual sweep, we held contain pretty well.

If you're talking about when UH's quarterback scrambled, he did get outside the tackle.box but, that not a sweep. And most of the time that resulted because we had open shots on him but, couldn't get him on the ground.

Reactions: SoulSr
"So stuff this basic the coaches got done last year but aren't getting done this year. In essence, that's what you're saying..."

Pitino has a lead indicator that he uses related to deflected balls on defense. He believed if we have x deflections they would win. Charlie Strong had one too. He said if you had x or fewer missed tackles you would win the game. I do believe that he stressed that fundamental. I am saying that they have gotten progressively worse since the start of last year at getting guys to the ground. I don't know who is to blame. I just know who is supposed to be accountable for it.

When the hired was made I was one of the UGA fans who was thrilled he was gone. Under him UGA's defense got progressively worse every year, mostly due to poor fundamentals. He doesn't teach them, he is all about teaching scheme. I put that on coming from the NFL where he expected players to all know how to tackle, how to shed blocks, he hasn't transitioned to coaching kids out of HS who may or may not have had good coaches. I also think he forgets these are college kids with classes, projects and labs to take care up and their time for football isn't unlimited. During our bowl game, he was still slow getting signals in to the D. I think he knows as much defensive football as anyone out there, but he doesn't teach fundamentals and makes things too complicated for kids who don't have 50 hours a week to learn their craft.

Reactions: JHB4UK and Jdhays21
When the hired was made I was one of the UGA fans who was thrilled he was gone. Under him UGA's defense got progressively worse every year, mostly due to poor fundamentals. He doesn't teach them, he is all about teaching scheme. I put that on coming from the NFL where he expected players to all know how to tackle, how to shed blocks, he hasn't transitioned to coaching kids out of HS who may or may not have had good coaches. I also think he forgets these are college kids with classes, projects and labs to take care up and their time for football isn't unlimited. During our bowl game, he was still slow getting signals in to the D. I think he knows as much defensive football as anyone out there, but he doesn't teach fundamentals and makes things too complicated for kids who don't have 50 hours a week to learn their craft.
That explanation would make more sense if it were freshman or sophomores that were missing tackles - it wasn't. It was seniors. You think they've forgotten how to tackle?

Just curious - are you close enough to the UGA program that you know firsthand that TG doesn't teach fundamentals?

ADVERTISEMENT