ADVERTISEMENT

I was looking forward to hearing Valvano's take on the win

Mar 11, 2009
Tuned in to find backup Andy Sweeney hosting and trashing the win and the team. Quickly turned it off.

What's up with 680's angry, yelling negative sidekicks?

It's their formula for attracting both UofL and UK fans. Have a "UofL" host and a "UK" homer as his antagonistic counterpart.

Originally posted by AzCard:
It's their formula for attracting both UofL and UK fans. Have a "UofL" host and a "UK" homer as his antagonistic counterpart.
I don't even think he is a UK homer. I just think he's not intelligent.

Why do they need to resort to yelling and talking over people to prove they are right. They have a mute button, they can hang up. And this guy was ranting even before he took any calls.

No credit given to the adversity they have had, that it was on the road, or the fact that Georgia Tech played other great teams close. He was just yelling that we were down 13 to *gasp* GEORGIA TECH. Name on jersey and the record is all that matters. That is not an intelligent way of breaking down the win. Valvano wouldn't have done that.

I don't need a host to pump sunshine but I don't need one to go the whole opposite direction of gloom and doom either.

Originally posted by cuzimacardfan:

Originally posted by AzCard:
I don't even think he is a UK homer. I just think he's not intelligent.

Why do they need to resort to yelling and talking over people to prove they are right. They have a mute button, they can hang up. And this guy was ranting even before he took any calls.

No credit given to the adversity they have had, that it was on the road, or the fact that Georgia Tech played other great teams close. He was just yelling that we were down 13 to *gasp* GEORGIA TECH. Name on jersey and the record is all that matters. That is not an intelligent way of breaking down the win. Valvano wouldn't have done that.

I don't need a host to pump sunshine but I don't need one to go the whole opposite direction of gloom and doom either.
I've never heard the guy but it sounds like he's lazy to me. I mean if all he is doing is looking at sound bite information about the opponent without researching and injecting in variables which create the moment, then he's just lazy or stupid.

Tuned in to find backup Andy Sweeney hosting and trashing the win and the team. Quickly turned it off.

I had the same thought. Was looking forward to Valvano and then got Sweeney? He pissed me off to the point that I called in to the show. First time I ever called into a radio show. I think I was the 2nd caller (Hank).

He was making some ridiculous straw man argument saying that the win was terrible and that UofL fans were acting like they were going to make a deep run in the tourney because they won. I don't know one fan that thinks that. Of course they hung up the phone before I could challenge him anymore.

Was hoping to hear some Valvano perspective along the lines of: the chips were down on this team, they could have folded up, however with 10 minutes left they manned up and decided to compete. This might be their last win but they are gonna go out fighting regardless.

That will be the last time I listen with him as the sole host.

One of them seems to find their way on to every show too. You can't escape them. I'm not sure how the people who run the station can't see that.

I've always enjoyed listening to Bob but after Andy's very unprofessional rant and rave yesterday....if Bob's not there, my radio will be tuned to another station. Andy showed his true colors yesterday and it's ugly.

For people with generally lesser talent and knowledge, being a "shock jock" is the only way they can stay in the business.

Originally posted by gocards1234:
One of them seems to find their way on to every show too. You can't escape them. I'm not sure how the people who run the station can't see that.
I don't know who exactly runs the station, but yesterday Sweeney said that Drew Deener is his boss. So Deener appears to have some influence on the programming at both ESPN680 and 93.9. I know Deener calls UofL games and, probably because of that, lately hasn't been overly negative of Louisville, but I also know that before he got the UofL gig, he was VERY pro-UK.

Gotta say that listening to that punk Sweeney yesterday telling a caller to shut up and then today laughing and poking fun at Louisville's comeback at Ga Tech made me turn that tool off for good. I like listening to Valvano and Jason Anderson but as other's have said why do we have to always have one of these smarmy d-bags on nearly every local sports radio show?

Sweeney is another in the long line of little turds from out of town who think they are funny and have no respect for anyone that disagrees with them just like Lachlan McClain, Adam Neft and Jared Stillman.

That guy is the biggest D-bag in Louisville radio and that's certainly saying something. I hate to inject personal insults, but my God what a complete geek. You can tell by the way the guy talks that he has never played a sport in his life and was picked last in middle school dodge ball. He'll say stuff like, "My man is just a beast, he's just gonna beast out on people next year" in the geekiest voice that it literally makes you want to go punch something just listening to it.

I've been preaching this for years now. There is WAY TOO MUCH local radio in this market. All shows are now watered down, they are all the same, and it's very boring.

That's why I listen to national shows when I can now. Local sports radio is dead to me.

Originally posted by Rob_deVille:
Andy Sweeney called a caller dumb and told him to shut up yesterday. Unprofessional.
I saw Valvano right after that day's show and mentioned to him that Sweeney seemed really feisty. Valvano said, "He shouldn't have told that guy to shut up." He didn't seem too thrilled with Sweeney for doing that.

I enjoy Valvano's show until Sweeney starts talking. I wish they would take his mic away and just have Valvano, guests, and callers do the talking.

This post was edited on 3/2 10:35 PM by CardGame

These shows are pretty bad. I love Denny, but his show with Joe B was unlistenable and it's probably a good thing it's off. As much as I hate Pittsburgh sports, their 93.7 FM "The Fan" station is terrific. Fortunately all my sports teams (UofL, Bengals, Reds) play theirs (Pitt, Steelers, Pirates) so I get to hear sports talk that is interesting for me. I encourage you guys to check out 93.7 sometime. And, they are on 24/7, taking calls from fans. You can listen to The Fan at 1am after a Steelers loss and hear drunk yinzers calling into The Fan bitching about the refs or how Ben needs to hand the ball off more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT