ADVERTISEMENT

I Keep Hearing Pundits Brohm shouldn't Take the Job

Futile effort.
Kerry you are very confident in this happening. Out of curiosity have you spoken with Brohm or his camp? It seems like you have it down as a done deal. I’d like to think this is the case, but I have my doubts. Just like I did with Mack.

We had a little back forth about subtle differences and differences without distinction the other day. You may indeed truly have the sentiment that you expressed in that post but IMO, those were about the effing douchiest couple of sentiments I've seen expressed by anyone this side of a slapdick.
No idea what you't talking about, but I'm obviously curious...

Part that got me was "I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you're saying". purdoo fans he agrees with - Louisville fans? Not so much...
I'll get into the weeds...
I think it’s hilariois how people think Jeff is going to leave behind a great situation at Purdue and bolt for Louisville...
I wouldn't have said "hilarious", but it's delusional how much some U of L fans think Brohm-to-Louisville is a done deal. Vegas has it a coin flip, and they have millions riding on the outcome.
...Jeff isn’t going anywhere...
Rico has no clue whether this is true. I didn't say I agreed with every word.
...The UL athletic program is a disaster...
He says disaster, I called it a dumpster fire. I'm not arguing over that difference, if there is one.
...Will Jeff coach at Louisville at some point in his career? Maybe, but it won’t be next season. Move on!...
He answers "maybe" to a question that I would agree with. Of course, he doesn't know that it won't be next season...
...The only way Jeff would leave Purdue right now is if he wasn’t able to land the recruits he wanted or if he wasn’t able to beat the Ohio St’s of the world. He’s doing both...
He again entertains the notion that Brohm would leave Purdue. He's just shortsighted in those possibilities and reasons. He didn't say Brohm will never leave Purdue...
...Things are good for the Brohm family in West Lafayette, and about to get better!
And I agree with that statement.

I don't agree or disagree with anyone unless they purposely take contrary positions with mine. No one needs to take that personally...just debate it on point.

Last edited:
Brohm is doing the only smart thing he can do. Tyra isn’t going to make official contact until the season is over. At that point, Brohm will have an offer from Louisville, and Purdue will be notified, and they will respond. Brohm will have a decision to make...
If Brohm's waiting that long, he's waiting too long IMO.

And I'd argue that U of L can't wait that long. Not if Tyra is interested in the next coach salvaging a 2019 recruiting class. He needs a pretty good signal who that next coach will be. And Tyra doesn't need to ring up Brohm to know that...

Reactions: td75
Add Joel Klatt and Bruce Feldman to the list of folks who think Brohm should stay at Purdue. Is there anyone outside of people living in Louisville who thinks Brohm should leave Purdue for Louisville?

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleRico3
Add Joel Klatt and Bruce Feldman to the list of folks who think Brohm should stay at Purdue. Is there anyone outside of people living in Louisville who thinks Brohm should leave Purdue for Louisville?
So the entire list is - Dickitch and two FS1 guys nobody’s heard of? Ok.

The only people that JB would pay the slightest attention to - outside of people in the athletic departments of the respective schools - reside in Louisville.

His family.

So the entire list is - Dickitch and two FS1 guys nobody’s heard of? Ok.

The only people that JB would pay the slightest attention to - outside of people in the athletic departments of the respective schools - reside in Louisville.

His family.
Here's 3 more. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Here's 3 more. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Well - good that you started off with the heavy hitters - lol. Two obscure guys trying to raise their profiles and a guys who’s 106. I was especially impressed with Brandt’s take about ND, IU and purdoo all fighting over the impressive haul of 5 stars from the state of Indiana. If only one of those three could consolidate all of those Indiana players - it’d be national title after national title. :rolleyes:

Agree with this 100%. My main concern is that we can't match what Purdue offers as a whole. They have better facilities (brand new $65M practice facility), draw more fans, and have a much better recruiting class plus a lot of young talent like Rondale Moore. I hope he's been listening to Ozzy Osbourne "Mama I'm coming home" because he is the King of Louisville. If he were to come back, I think a billboard of him like LeBron had in Cleveland should be in order!
They don't have better facilities.

Losing Papa didnt hurt. He was not one of the main donors, he gave a big one time gift to get naming rights. A lot of our donors bolted when the scandals hit. They will come back when they feel the environment is cleaned up.

Well - good that you started off with the heavy hitters - lol. Two obscure guys trying to raise their profiles and a guys who’s 106. I was especially impressed with Brandt’s take about ND, IU and purdoo all fighting over the impressive haul of 5 stars from the state of Indiana. If only one of those three could consolidate all of those Indiana players - it’d be national title after national title. :rolleyes:

Gil Brandt will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame next August more than likely....he is not obscure

Gil Brandt will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame next August more than likely....he is not obscure
I didn’t say he was obscure - I said he was 106 - plus more of an nfl guy with the bulk of his college knowledge revolving around being a draft guru.

That said, if you want me to care about what he thinks - you need to ask me 15 years ago.

I didn’t say he was obscure - I said he was 106 - plus more of an nfl guy with the bulk of his college knowledge revolving around being a draft guru.

That said, if you want me to care about what he thinks - you need to ask me 15 years ago.

He works for the NFL still and is basically in charge of the NFL Draft-(He is the person that invites the players like Jaire Alexander & Lamar Jackson to the Green Room)...whatever his age Brandt is still relevant and very respect in Football circles...he has earned his nickname The GodFather.

Last edited:
He works for the NFL still and is basically in charge of the NFL Draft-(He is the person that invites the players like Jaire Alexander & Lamar Jackson to the Green Room)...whatever his age Brandt is still relevant and very respect in Football circles...he has earned his nickname The GodFather.
Understood and I'm not questioning the guy's cred in the area that he's employed. That doesn't extend IMO - to taking his opinions on the comparative strengths and weaknesses of CFB programs as it relates to which is better for a coach as any more informed than Dickitch's.

As I stated in a different thread, it's important to look at Louisville's work against Miami and Florida State. Since the year 2000, which is modern history, UofL is 3-1 versus Miami and 3-4 versus FSU.

This is important because it highlights what UofL can do when their house is in order. They can absolutely compete and win against the best. Brohm knows this and must consider this strongly in his approach.

Overall, the ceiling at UofL is higher, possibly much higher than the Purdue ceiling. Purdue WILL NOT be beating up on Ohio State again, that was a damn fluke and I think people with common sense know that. The best part of the Purdue job is the division they reside in but even that will change sooner than later. They will not trump Nebraska starting next year. It's a 7 win job, and that's on a very good year for them. Louisville is a legitimate 9 win per season program, with a great chance at 10+. Huge difference in ceilings, huge difference.

Reactions: BPGhost
As I stated in a different thread, it's important to look at Louisville's work against Miami and Florida State. Since the year 2000, which is modern history, UofL is 3-1 versus Miami and 3-4 versus FSU.

This is important because it highlights what UofL can do when their house is in order. They can absolutely compete and win against the best. Brohm knows this and must consider this strongly in his approach.

Overall, the ceiling at UofL is higher, possibly much higher than the Purdue ceiling. Purdue WILL NOT be beating up on Ohio State again, that was a damn fluke and I think people with common sense know that. The best part of the Purdue job is the division they reside in but even that will change sooner than later. They will not trump Nebraska starting next year. It's a 7 win job, and that's on a very good year for them. Louisville is a legitimate 9 win per season program, with a great chance at 10+. Huge difference in ceilings, huge difference.
Might want to check your stats. Purdue has the best winning percentage against OSU versus all other Big Ten teams since 2000. They are 5-7 over that time period.
Also, Purdue is currently sitting on the fringe of a Top 25 class in Brohm's second year. If he can maintain that, there is absolutely no reason that Purdue cannot be a consistent 9 to 10 win team.

Might want to check your stats. Purdue has the best winning percentage against OSU versus all other Big Ten teams since 2000. They are 5-7 over that time period.
Also, Purdue is currently sitting on the fringe of a Top 25 class in Brohm's second year. If he can maintain that, there is absolutely no reason that Purdue cannot be a consistent 9 to 10 win team.

You know Purdue hasnt won 10 games since 1973.........

Reactions: td75
You know Purdue hasnt won 10 games since 1973.........

Indeed.

and that is relative to the future how?

Virginia Tech was a consistent 6 win team and never had 10 wins until 1995. Since then they have over a dozen ten win seasons.

Northwestern had one ten win season over it's entire history (in 1903) up until 1995 and has ten wins 3 times in the last six years.

Wisconsin had ZERO ten win seasons up until 1990 and have consistently pulled off ten+ win seasons over the past ten years.

From 1940, TCU averaged about 4 wins per year until Patterson came there in 2000 and now they have 11 years with ten wins.

The right coach can make all the difference in the world. Joe Tiller was able to get Purdue to be a consistent 8 win team per year, and he had exactly ONE top 25 ranked recruiting class.

I know that we are all quibbling here, trying to justify our positions, but the statement that "If a coach can consistently pull in top 25 classes every year, the team will likely pull off 9 to 10 wins per year" is not exactly a far leap in logic.

I know it is tough to swallow, but Purdue’s five wins over the Buckeyes since 2000 are more than any team in the Big Ten. It has been a long time since 10/8/88. Thirty years without cracking a Buckeye!

I know it is tough to swallow, but Purdue’s five wins over the Buckeyes since 2000 are more than any team in the Big Ten. It has been a long time since 10/8/88. Thirty years without cracking a Buckeye!
My hat is off to Purdue for that. It's a wonderful achievement and feather in the cap. I'll be very honest, it is possibly the most shocking statistic in collegiate sports but it somehow happened.

I don’t know who these guys are, but I doubt they are very well informed. Just running their mouths for a living.

ADVERTISEMENT