ADVERTISEMENT

I Keep Hearing Pundits Brohm shouldn't Take the Job

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
as we are a depleted train wreck with funding issue and that he should wait for a better time. well, my simple question is when it is a better time than now? when someone else has brought us back to glory and there's no job opening? or does he wait until he's 70 and we suck and we give him a sympathy job in hopes of inspiring a future fan base? does he come after building purdue into a big 10 power and decides winning there isn't worth it anymore?

quite simply, the job is open now and even though purdue would be pissed they'll know it's his hometown. additionally, in terms of having the upper hand in negotiations, pretty sure he can ask for most reasonable things plus a bag of chips. if he has ever dreamed of being the head coach at louisville, his alma mater, his hometown where his parents still live, then this may be the only opportunity he ever gets and for pundits to say don't take it then not a single one of them has ever had the opportunity to coach at their alma mater. the only reason brohm doesn't come here in my honest opinion is he doesn't want that local pressure in case he fails. otherwise, on average, it's 20 degrees warmer here than in west lafayette and a lot closer trip to recruit in florida.

Yeah - pundits like Dickitch - lol. Guys like him and the rest are simply click bait trolls pulling stuff out of their asses looking to get more hits / followers.

Yeah - pundits like Dickitch - lol. Guys like him and the rest are simply click bait trolls pulling stuff out of their asses looking to get more hits / followers.

You the man! Dick itch
9GAG_-_ROFLMAO-20091029-172531.jpg

as we are a depleted train wreck with funding issue and that he should wait for a better time. well, my simple question is when it is a better time than now? when someone else has brought us back to glory and there's no job opening? or does he wait until he's 70 and we suck and we give him a sympathy job in hopes of inspiring a future fan base? does he come after building purdue into a big 10 power and decides winning there isn't worth it anymore?

quite simply, the job is open now and even though purdue would be pissed they'll know it's his hometown. additionally, in terms of having the upper hand in negotiations, pretty sure he can ask for most reasonable things plus a bag of chips. if he has ever dreamed of being the head coach at louisville, his alma mater, his hometown where his parents still live, then this may be the only opportunity he ever gets and for pundits to say don't take it then not a single one of them has ever had the opportunity to coach at their alma mater. the only reason brohm doesn't come here in my honest opinion is he doesn't want that local pressure in case he fails. otherwise, on average, it's 20 degrees warmer here than in west lafayette and a lot closer trip to recruit in florida.

I think it’s hilariois how people think Jeff is going to leave behind a great situation at Purdue and bolt for Louisville. Jeff isn’t going anywhere. The UL athletic program is a disaster. Will Jeff coach at Louisville at some point in his career? Maybe, but it won’t be next season. Move on! The only way Jeff would leave Purdue right now is if he wasn’t able to land the recruits he wanted or if he wasn’t able to beat the Ohio St’s of the world. He’s doing both. Things are good for the Brohm family in West Lafayette, and about to get better!

I think it’s hilariois how people think Jeff is going to leave behind a great situation at Purdue and bolt for Louisville. Jeff isn’t going anywhere. The UL athletic program is a disaster. Will Jeff coach at Louisville at some point in his career? Maybe, but it won’t be next season. Move on! The only way Jeff would leave Purdue right now is if he wasn’t able to land the recruits he wanted or if he wasn’t able to beat the Ohio St’s of the world. He’s doing both. Things are good for the Brohm family in West Lafayette, and about to get better!

What is this, a copy and paste post ?

I mean ive seen this post , literally word for word. Is that you grover ? Mattie bangs ?
Or did one of those two send you those same garbage talking points.

Coach Chris Mack thought it was so bad that he stayed at Xavier.

Get lost.

There are a few things people get confused about. One of them is that the university is in disarray due to the basketball scandals. Somehow, in their infinite wisdom they think the entire school, all sports, are on the verge of implosion. Another is the talent level, or lack thereof. This year's recruiting class, ok, not so great. Lot of factors in play there. But, the 4 years prior, the classes have been ranked 31st, 29th, 36th, and 32nd. Clearly, not Alabama type of recruiting, but that's pretty damn good. 29th may be the best ranked class ever. It's not a talent issue what's going on. It's a coaching issue. It's a culture issue. An effort issue. And, those, hopefully, have now been resolved. Regarding funding, there will always be money. It's easy to look at Petrino's buyout, Jurich's pay off, and the Pitino lawsuit and think they don't have the cash. There will always be cash. UPS is about to drop major dollars for Cardinal Stadium naming rights. Don't worry about money.

Reactions: Cue Card
There are a few things people get confused about. One of them is that the university is in disarray due to the basketball scandals. Somehow, in their infinite wisdom they think the entire school, all sports, are on the verge of implosion. Another is the talent level, or lack thereof. This year's recruiting class, ok, not so great. Lot of factors in play there. But, the 4 years prior, the classes have been ranked 31st, 29th, 36th, and 32nd. Clearly, not Alabama type of recruiting, but that's pretty damn good. 29th may be the best ranked class ever. It's not a talent issue what's going on. It's a coaching issue. It's a culture issue. An effort issue. And, those, hopefully, have now been resolved. Regarding funding, there will always be money. It's easy to look at Petrino's buyout, Jurich's pay off, and the Pitino lawsuit and think they don't have the cash. There will always be cash. UPS is about to drop major dollars for Cardinal Stadium naming rights. Don't worry about money.
That’s what Matt Jones drills into their noggins on a daily basis. Like a cult

Reactions: Cue Card
Although I'm a Louisville fan, I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you're saying. This place IS a dumpster at the moment.

However, Brohm doesn't need to drag out the uncertainty at Purdue. Silence and delay will have a bad effect on your recruiting and team morale. And I think the longer he delays, the more likely he's coming to Louisville. Your administration needs to up the ante and force his hand. Soon...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
So all the pundits are telling him not to go to Louisville? Well, I remember those same pundits and many others telling him not to go to Perdue. It was gonna suck the life out of him and kill his career. Perdue was a place where coaches go to die. Seems that Jeff doesn’t listen to pundits all that much. And let’s be real, what pundit out there knows more about the city of Louisville, Louisville athletics or Lousiville football than Jeff Brohm does. And please remember that Jeff is from here, played his HS football here, played and starred at UL under Howard Schnellenberger who had a large part in building this program and Jeff’s family still lives here so do you and all your idiot boils and your idiot pundits think that trashing Louisville is winning points with Jeff? Really? How would Drew Brees feel about people trashing Perdue and West Lafayette? You think he’d listen to those people? You think he’d respect their opinions? You think they could influence him in a positive way after they bad mouthed his school and town? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Sheesh!!!!

Although I'm a Louisville fan, I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you're saying. This place IS a dumpster at the moment.

However, Brohm doesn't need to drag out the uncertainty at Purdue. Silence and delay will have a bad effect on your recruiting and team morale. And I think the longer he delays, the more likely he's coming to Louisville. Your administration needs to up the ante and force his hand. Soon...
We had a little back forth about subtle differences and differences without distinction the other day. You may indeed truly have the sentiment that you expressed in that post but IMO, those were about the effing douchiest couple of sentiments I've seen expressed by anyone this side of a slapdick.

Good lord you’re a tool.

Part that got me was "I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you're saying". purdoo fans he agrees with - Louisville fans? Not so much...

Well he's putting the SuCkS fan out of business as far as trashing the University.

Just sayin.....

Reactions: BPGhost

Hm, strange. A fan of the old guard is not happy the old guard is gone.

Well, our President, Mitch Daniels was a high level exec at Lilly, was Budget Director for GWB, served two terms as Governor, rides a Harley and sits in the stands with students at football games, Mike Bobinski is one of the most respected and experienced AD’s in the country, our Chairman of the Board of Trustees is a former walkon football player. If ya’ll think they are sitting on their butts and not doing anything then just keep thinking it. When asked what drives him in coaching yesterday he responded “Winning” . Yes, he loves his hometown. Most folks love their hometown. But what may well determine what happens is answering the question of how he can best win next year and the year after. He’s invested two years of his life getting to the point he could beat three ranked teams in one year with somebody else’s recruits. He has 22 redshirts in thus year’s freshman class and his own hand picked Top 25 recruiting class poised to sign. Does the pragmatic Jeff Brohm decide to wipe away those two years, start all over from scratch and chase Dabo, or does he start practice next fall as a potential Big Ten West Champ and perhaps be one game away from a Playoff berth? Stay tuned and we’ll all find out the answer. One thing is for certain, as long as he is in WL The Fat Lady Has Yet to Sing!

Purdue fans, we've got two weeks before the season ends, before any official contact is made between Tyra and Brohm. Are you all going to keep acting insecure all that time?

Just my take as an outsider...

You guys are getting Brohm.

It's home and he's the most Louisville Cardinal person you could ever get. He turned down big offers to play at UofL when you guys were a joke nationally...he stayed under Kragthorpe and turned down Nick Saban and Bama.

And listen to the local guys who know the Brohm's. They are all confident and there is a sense of "yeah he's coming don't worry about it' and that just seems to be the feeling overall. I think the money will be there and Purdue will let him leave eventually because they know it's where he wants to be with his family.

This guy was L1C4 before the Jurich era. He comes from a time when he grew up watching Louisville in the Metro Conference. He loved you guys before the Fiesta Bowl against Bama. Before the new Stadium...before the ACC..before Lamar. Thankfully TJ is gone and you will be able to get him now.

As I've said before, I have grandparents in Louisville who have been season ticket holders for a long time. No direct Brohm connections...but my grandad said he's heard the rumblings that the Brohm's want to come home. He's very excited for the new era...said the Denny/Howard days are coming back strong.

Just my take as an outsider...

You guys are getting Brohm.

It's home and he's the most Louisville Cardinal person you could ever get. He turned down big offers to play at UofL when you guys were a joke nationally...he stayed under Kragthorpe and turned down Nick Saban and Bama.

And listen to the local guys who know the Brohm's. They are all confident and there is a sense of "yeah he's coming don't worry about it' and that just seems to be the feeling overall. I think the money will be there and Purdue will let him leave eventually because they know it's where he wants to be with his family.

This guy was L1C4 before the Jurich era. He comes from a time when he grew up watching Louisville in the Metro Conference. He loved you guys before the Fiesta Bowl against Bama. Before the new Stadium...before the ACC..before Lamar. Thankfully TJ is gone and you will be able to get him now.

As I've said before, I have grandparents in Louisville who have been season ticket holders for a long time. No direct Brohm connections...but my grandad said he's heard the rumblings that the Brohm's want to come home. He's very excited for the new era...said the Denny/Howard days are coming back strong.
Can't disagree. The job is his. The timing is just wrong to annouce it now. He's coming home.

I would be shocked if the Brohm’s didn’t return to Louisville like the newspaper wrote the other day they are considered royalty in Louisville. Their whole family grandparents, parents,brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins are somehow tied to UL. They all chose Louisville over more prestigious programs and helped elevate the program to a higher level when they were here. I remember Brian Brohm leading his eight grade team in the Toy Bowl in front of 21,000 fans. The Brohm family returning to Louisville would be a huge step in healing any rift with the boosters.

Reactions: wilkie01
I would be shocked if the Brohm’s didn’t return to Louisville like the newspaper wrote the other day they are considered royalty in Louisville. Their whole family grandparents, parents,brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins are somehow tied to UL. They all chose Louisville over more prestigious programs and helped elevate the program to a higher level when they were here. I remember Brian Brohm leading his eight grade team in the Toy Bowl in front of 21,000 fans. The Brohm family returning to Louisville would be a huge step in healing any rift with the boosters.
Agree with this 100%. My main concern is that we can't match what Purdue offers as a whole. They have better facilities (brand new $65M practice facility), draw more fans, and have a much better recruiting class plus a lot of young talent like Rondale Moore. I hope he's been listening to Ozzy Osbourne "Mama I'm coming home" because he is the King of Louisville. If he were to come back, I think a billboard of him like LeBron had in Cleveland should be in order!

Yeah I’ve sat here and read all of the “dumpster fire” stuff about UofL and a lot of it is true. However, we are on the path of recovery. We’ve hired a new President and she is appearing to be a “home run hire”. I won’t be critical of Purdue as you don’t deserve any criticism from me or my fellow UofL fans. We also have a new AD (one year or so) and even if some of our own fans don’t care for him he also seems to be a winner. This situation with Jeff Brohm isn’t about Purdue. It’s about Jeff Brohm’s hometown and hometown University. He IS from here and went to school here and his family has a huge affinity and loyalty for the University of Louisville. If he comes home those will be the reasons. You Purdue fans need to understand that we can pay as much, if not more, than you do for any coach, period. Yes, there are some financial problems but we are dealing with those issues and they will be resolved in due time. And even though we don’t have our “own airport” we are a stone’s throw away from an International Airport. So there is that . . . . . . .

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Yeah I’ve sat here and read all of the “dumpster fire” stuff about UofL and a lot of it is true. However, we are on the path of recovery. We’ve hired a new President and she is appearing to be a “home run hire”. I won’t be critical of Purdue as you don’t deserve any criticism from me or my fellow UofL fans. We also have a new AD (one year or so) and even if some of our own fans don’t care for him he also seems to be a winner. This situation with Jeff Brohm isn’t about Purdue. It’s about Jeff Brohm’s hometown and hometown University. He IS from here and went to school here and his family has a huge affinity and loyalty for the University of Louisville. If he comes home those will be the reasons. You Purdue fans need to understand that we can pay as much, if not more, than you do for any coach, period. Yes, there are some financial problems but we are dealing with those issues and they will be resolved in due time. And even though we don’t have our “own airport” we are a stone’s throw away from an International Airport. So there is that . . . . . . .

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
I’ve never been shy admitting to be a message board “voyeur” not a poster. But with the increasingly overused frequency of “dumpster fire” anologies of late, saw a grins and giggles opportunity for a drinking game.

However, now also with Purdue fans (not referring to “gocds”) using the same description, it’s time I admit I have a serious problem.

I’m running out of beer!

This is just wishful thinking on your part. You have zero evidence that Brohm is going to stay at Purdue. On the contrary, there is tons of evidence that Brohm would accept the UofL job. Not going to state all the reasons as they are here in this thread, but the one thing that a Purdue fan could stand on would be a definite I'm not interested quote from Jeff. All he has to do is say publicly that he's staying at Purdue to continue the job he started there. He could also under the radar have told UofL not to bother and look for someone else. Neither of those things have happened.

Every UofL person involved in this pursuit have not backed off. They are just waiting for the end of the regular season and so is Jeff. Anything can happen and it's not a done deal but the only thing hilarious is Purdue fans thinking there's no way Brohm would leave for his hometown school.

Brohm could easily say he is staying at Purdue and end all this. But he didnt. So he is seriously thinking about it. Doesnt mean he is coming here but he is damn sure thinking about it.
Here ya go.

He's not helping his own cause at Purdue by saying NOTHING.

He's not the kind of guy to say "I'm not going anywhere" then go somewhere..

Purdue may keep him, but they're right to be worried.

Reactions: zipp
Brohm is doing the only smart thing he can do. Tyra isn’t going to make official contact until the season is over. At that point, Brohm will have an offer from Louisville, and Purdue will be notified, and they will respond. Brohm will have a decision to make. In the meanwhile, he needs to keep his team focused, the recruits in tow, and win at least one game to make a bowl. Nobody knows what he is going to do. He is clearly a very different kind of guy from most mercenary coaches. He’s going to have a lot to think about over the next couple weeks, and he could put it to bed now, but that would cost him a bunch of money. We all get to wait and see how this plays out. Go Cards!

Brohm is doing the only smart thing he can do. Tyra isn’t going to make official contact until the season is over. At that point, Brohm will have an offer from Louisville, and Purdue will be notified, and they will respond. Brohm will have a decision to make. In the meanwhile, he needs to keep his team focused, the recruits in tow, and win at least one game to make a bowl. Nobody knows what he is going to do. He is clearly a very different kind of guy from most mercenary coaches. He’s going to have a lot to think about over the next couple weeks, and he could put it to bed now, but that would cost him a bunch of money. We all get to wait and see how this plays out. Go Cards!
I have a feeling Purdue is being a lot more proactive then you think.

Purdue fan here. I don’t know what he is going to do. With his enormous connection to Louisville, I could see him leaving. With our incoming recruiting class, I could see him staying. The energy he has created and experienced at Purdue is very real. The rational thought to me is where does Brohm see himself in 5-7 years? If it’s Louisville you got him. If it is Purdue or maybe something bigger, it’s Purdue to stay the course and finish what he started. His culture to connect with student athletes is infectious. He’s not perfect by any means but honest, hard working, and seems to be working on his craft. We shall see. Just hate one fan base will be disappointed.

Well, our President, Mitch Daniels was a high level exec at Lilly, was Budget Director for GWB, served two terms as Governor, rides a Harley and sits in the stands with students at football games, Mike Bobinski is one of the most respected and experienced AD’s in the country, our Chairman of the Board of Trustees is a former walkon football player. If ya’ll think they are sitting on their butts and not doing anything then just keep thinking it. When asked what drives him in coaching yesterday he responded “Winning” . Yes, he loves his hometown. Most folks love their hometown. But what may well determine what happens is answering the question of how he can best win next year and the year after. He’s invested two years of his life getting to the point he could beat three ranked teams in one year with somebody else’s recruits. He has 22 redshirts in thus year’s freshman class and his own hand picked Top 25 recruiting class poised to sign. Does the pragmatic Jeff Brohm decide to wipe away those two years, start all over from scratch and chase Dabo, or does he start practice next fall as a potential Big Ten West Champ and perhaps be one game away from a Playoff berth? Stay tuned and we’ll all find out the answer. One thing is for certain, as long as he is in WL The Fat Lady Has Yet to Sing!
You lost to Eastern Michigan and Minnesota by 30 pts and you’re winning the big 10 next year? We suck right now, but come off it with this. All brohm has to do to turn this program around in 1 Year is bring in some of his recruits (not hard) and coach up the young talent we have on the roster. The freshmen are the best players we have. We could easily win 6-7 games next year if this happens. Sound familiar?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT