ADVERTISEMENT

Howie a Jeff Walz question

Since you asked, I have a similar opinion on McDonald. He's a good coach who is very well-compensated already. Should he choose somewhere else there's a limit to how far we should go to retain non revenue sport coaches. We are already paying them plenty.

Who is McDonald? I see you're really in tune to UofL sports.

I won't disagree with most of your thinking, but I also think you draw a line in the sand. Keeping Walz is hardly a top priority regardless who is running athletics. I'd make him a great offer and tell him to threaten UConn every once in a while if he wants Gino money.

I would disagree that he’s not a priority. There is no reason we cannot meet CJW requirement. We were paying Pitino 7 mil. We’re paying Mack 4 mil to start. Bumping CJW to 1.8 or so should be possible with bonuses for going to the Final Four and NC. I think making it to the Final Four is an accomplishment. Whether you threaten UCONN or not. But we can disagree there’s nothing wrong with that.

McDonald sells hamburgers. At least GYST when posting derogatory comments about a class act that represents our university in a positive way. Better idea, close your eyes and click your heels together three times and tell yourself ladies basketball doesn’t exist. I bet you’ll feel better right away.

Since you asked, I have a similar opinion on McDonald. He's a good coach who is very well-compensated already. Should he choose somewhere else there's a limit to how far we should go to retain non revenue sport coaches. We are already paying them plenty.

Reactions: jimmy5-11
Tyra's got a long road ahead of him, boys and girls. All of these U of L coaches are among the best in their respective sports with salaries to match. And you're working with vanishing donors and Grissom who devalues athletics.

To just maintain the status quo, Tyra's gonna have to be BETTER than Jurich. I feel really bad for him...
could you be positive for once?

It's too hard to find the right coach for a program in any sport, especially one who succeeds and fits in as well as being a class act and great representative for your University. You keep them when you find them. Period. And continue to give them whatever resources that they need. Jurich excelled at this.
I have some but very limited insight with Jeff through mutual contacts and attending the same high school. He loves Louisville, the City and the school. But even Ray Charles can see that the academic administrators with no sports background want to run the sports program. Heck, even Tyra has no background or experience in sports administration and he is now the permanent AD. If you don't think that all of the UofL coaches are watching how things develop and keeping options open, you're blind. At some point, Tyra is going to have to go to bat for his coaches when the BOT (and Grissom especially) decline to support the program as necessary. He may have done that already with Mack but, in all honesty, every top coach was asking him for the job. He just needed to not screw it up and he succeeded although the BOT (Grissom) tried to torpedo it.
Point is that none of this is lost on the Louisville coaches.

McDonald sells hamburgers. At least GYST when posting derogatory comments about a class act that represents our university in a positive way. Better idea, close your eyes and click your heels together three times and tell yourself ladies basketball doesn’t exist. I bet you’ll feel better right away.
Or wind up in Kansas. I hear misery loves company.

You keep Walz because he is young and on the verge of making Louisville a similar program as Notre Dame, Stanford, or UT. He has built the program exactly how you wanted him to. Replacing him would be a tough and there is enough revenue/interest to justify increasing his pay for him and staff.

McDonnell is a different animal. I played at Louisville what he has done is nothing short of a miracle, trust me. He is terrific and done it the right way from day one, but from strictly a business perspective Louisville can't get in a bidding war with Miss St or an FSU type of program, if it comes to that. He is extremely well paid for a non-revenue sport and one that just isn't every going to generate any real strong revenue. The location limits attendance. Miss St /FSU has incredible support so I wouldn't blame him at all from making that move strictly from a baseball program perspective.

With that said only McDonnell knows if he really wants another challenge and if he does money isn't going to stop him. He will leave because it is a better opportunity from purely a baseball perspective. Guess what because he is so good Louisville would have good options to replace him. One guy is sitting in his dugout.

You keep Walz because he is young and on the verge of making Louisville a similar program as Notre Dame, Stanford, or UT. He has built the program exactly how you wanted him to. Replacing him would be a tough and there is enough revenue/interest to justify increasing his pay for him and staff.

McDonnell is a different animal. I played at Louisville what he has done is nothing short of a miracle, trust me. He is terrific and done it the right way from day one, but from strictly a business perspective Louisville can't get in a bidding war with Miss St or an FSU type of program, if it comes to that. He is extremely well paid for a non-revenue sport and one that just isn't every going to generate any real strong revenue. The location limits attendance. Miss St /FSU has incredible support so I wouldn't blame him at all from making that move strictly from a baseball program perspective.

With that said only McDonnell knows if he really wants another challenge and if he does money isn't going to stop him. He will leave because it is a better opportunity from purely a baseball perspective. Guess what because he is so good Louisville would have good options to replace him. One guy is sitting in his dugout.

Definitely don’t want Coach Mac to leave but I think UofL could replace him with Chris Lemonis and keep the train rolling. I would imagine that Miss States will target UKs head coach.

Reactions: gocds
I think VT will do the right thing.

i don't like the board any more than you guys do but i do think VT is a good get. maybe he proves me wrong but so far he's doing it right.

as for wbb. i don't care for it but i think they need to try and keep Waltz. same for baseball and the other non mbb/football coaches. if Waltz wants to go to tenn or somewhere then fine. it's his life.

We have a troll or two on our board and everyone knows who they are. One of our trolls stated that women's college basketball is not that exciting. I was just listening to a radio show that said women's college basketball has one of the fastest growing fan bases right now. This year Mississippi States women's team set a new attendance record for basketball in the state of Mississippi. They draw more than all the men's programs.

We have a troll or two on our board and everyone knows who they are. One of our trolls stated that women's college basketball is not that exciting. I was just listening to a radio show that said women's college basketball has one of the fastest growing fan bases right now. This year Mississippi States women's team set a new attendance record for basketball in the state of Mississippi. They draw more than all the men's programs.
If the women's game can get decent, not great, officiating then their game will continue to grow. It is fast paced product and getting more competitive each year. I think Universities are starting to see the value in having a great women's program. I also think sponsors are going to start supporting their programs as well.

If you truly like good basketball then that Final Four was a treat besides the officiating.

This is what many don’t understand. BB just isn’t that popular in other states it’s a fact. In college FB is the king by a long shot. Our WBB attendance is better than many men’s programs around the country. And across the country it’s growing. I like both MBB and WBB. But WBB hasn’t been spoiled by all the crap surrounding MBB.

What I know is this...

Jurich didn't lose head coaches except in football when we were an aspiring program playing in uninspiring conferences and with schedules to match.

If Tyra and the clown show can't keep these coaches, I know who I'm going to blame. And the ballgame to prove that has barely started...

What I know is this...

Jurich didn't lose head coaches except in football when we were an aspiring program playing in uninspiring conferences and with schedules to match.

If Tyra and the clown show can't keep these coaches, I know who I'm going to blame. And the ballgame to prove that has barely started...

Just let things play out and stop stirring the pot.

Your prognostication skills relative to Tyra have been really bad.

....and quit saying you “would feel sorry for Vince” why don’t you be honest and say what you wanna say which is you hope he fails.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
You might not like what Zipp is posting but he has a point. We all heard some comments by CJW that raised some red flags. We heard that Grissom tried to sabotage the hiring of Mack.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
...Your prognostication skills relative to Tyra have been really bad.

....and quit saying you “would feel sorry for Vince” why don’t you be honest and say what you wanna say which is you hope he fails.
Where were my soothsaying skills proven "really bad"? Specifics please.

And if I expressed emotion for Tyra, it was probably sarcasm. Let me know so I can clarify that for you as well...

Knucklehead thinks quality ADs and baseball coaches grow on trees...

You’re insane to think that.

Not sure what’s so insane. Mingione spent 8 years as an assistant under John Cohen at Miss St and 2 years under Cohen at UK. Cohen just became Miss States athletic director and he loves Mingione. He is obviously short on head coaching experience but had a great first year at UK.

Reactions: STLNBSE
Jurich's record retaining and firing coaches was spotty. He hired Kragthorpe all on his own, nearly dismantling the football program in the process and then kept him around three years when it was obvious to all it was the wrong hire after three games. Remember the "go down in a bunker" quote?

He couldn't retain Strong despite his best efforts although that was a blessing in disguise. I forgave that because he had the nads to rehire Bobby. But to your point, we lost a quality coach at the time.

Then,suffice it to say, Jurich retained and retained some more with Pitino when it was obvious to all he should have been fired.

Not sure what’s so insane. Mingione spent 8 years as an assistant under John Cohen at Miss St and 2 years under Cohen at UK. Cohen just became Miss States athletic director and he loves Mingione. He is obviously short on head coaching experience but had a great first year at UK.
Not that part - the Lemonis part.

Jurich's record retaining and firing coaches was spotty. He hired Kragthorpe all on his own, nearly dismantling the football program in the process and then kept him around three years when it was obvious to all it was the wrong hire after three games. Remember the "go down in a bunker" quote?

He couldn't retain Strong despite his best efforts although that was a blessing in disguise. I forgave that because he had the nads to rehire Bobby. But to your point, we lost a quality coach at the time.

Then,suffice it to say, Jurich retained and retained some more with Pitino when it was obvious to all he should have been fired.
You're nuts. The only examples like that were football. And that's because of U of L's situation playing in CUSA and a fledgling Big East with crap schedules and no legit chance at a national championship.

You also can't fire a coach after two years if there aren't major performance issues. Your NEXT coach will notice...

Reactions: BPGhost
You're nuts. The only examples like that were football. And that's because of U of L's situation playing in CUSA and a fledgling Big East with crap schedules and no legit chance at a national championship.

You also can't fire a coach after two years if there aren't major performance issues. Your NEXT coach will notice...

Not true. Strong left just before our inaugural ACC season. Keeping Krags three years was unacceptable. He was bad enough to break any precedents that may have previously existed.

We can't blame Jurich for Strong going to Texas. The job had more prestige and offered more money. What was great about Jurich was we didn't worry if a coach left because he would always find a great replacement. Kragthorpe was his only mistake in 20 years. I'll take that and be happy.

Of course not. Strong was impatient and always obsessed with the trappings of a "football school". And he got what he wanted...
Anyone that thinks Miss State or FSU baseball (Martin will eventually retire) isn't a step up in baseball doesn't know baseball. McDonnell choosing to leave for that kind of program is similar to Strong leaving for Texas. I wouldn't blame Tyra if that occurred.

Walz is a different story. I would question why they let that one happen.

Anyone that thinks Miss State or FSU baseball (Martin will eventually retire) isn't a step up in baseball doesn't know baseball. McDonnell choosing to leave for that kind of program is similar to Strong leaving for Texas. I wouldn't blame Tyra if that occurred.

Walz is a different story. I would question why they let that one happen.
That ain't true. FSU's never won a national championship in baseball, and U of L's been to as many CWSs in the last decade as FSU has. A small step up, maybe.

Strong left U of L for Texas, a school that has won three AP national championships, and more if you go by other polls as well.

If Tyra loses either McDonnell or Walz, that's on him and his superiors.

(Speaking of which, I'd like to be a bug on the wall when Tyra goes into Grissom's office and demands more millions for either of those coaches...)

Last edited:
I read a small piece on Walz and it sounded as if he wasn’t as positive about remaining at UofL. How about an interview with CJW about the season and his future? We absolutely do not want to lose Walz.
Grissom’s NBA buddies are so pissed off at him for allowing Mack to get the men’s job he bound to screw the deal for Walz. His two year term cannot end quick enough!

Tyra's got a long road ahead of him, boys and girls. All of these U of L coaches are among the best in their respective sports with salaries to match. And you're working with vanishing donors and Grissom who devalues athletics.

To just maintain the status quo, Tyra's gonna have to be BETTER than Jurich. I feel really bad for him...
Zipp, I know several donors that were “on the fence” until the Mack press conference. They are all IN for 2018-19.

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
That ain't true. FSU's never won a national championship in baseball, and U of L's been to as many CWSs in the last decade as FSU has. A small step up, maybe.

Strong left U of L for Texas, a school that has won three AP national championships, and more if you go by other polls as well.

If Tyra loses either McDonnell or Walz, that's on him and his superiors.

(Speaking of which, I'd like to be a big on the wall when Tyra goes into Grissom's office and demands more millions for either of those coaches...)
FSU has been to world series 22 times and runner up 3 times. Over 120 All-Americans it has a great baseball history. Countless players drafted and currently in the pros. The stadium is old, basically the same when I played at Louisville, but it is still a good college baseball stadium.

To say if the administration fault if he chooses to go to a program like FSU or MSU isn't fair. McDonnell bleeds baseball these programs have a lot to offer that Louisville can't mainly a great recruiting foot print.

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
I read a small piece on Walz and it sounded as if he wasn’t as positive about remaining at UofL. How about an interview with CJW about the season and his future? We absolutely do not want to lose Walz.
Grissom’s NBA buddies are so pissed off at him for allowing Mack to get the men’s job he bound to screw the deal for Walz. His two year term cannot end quick enough!

I agree with you 100% as far as Grissom’s term ending. But he’s in place until 2023, unless something changed. If what you say is true and I don’t doubt it then we know why Grissom’s in place. And I’ve always thought this crap surrounded the YUM center. What screwed their plans was putting VT in the AD job.

Walz shouldn’t be to big a threat. But I’m tired of hearing about the NBA. There’s not even a move projected and there are many locations that will take priority over Louisville. Plus if I’m Indy I fight any team coming here.

Zipp, I know several donors that were “on the fence” until the Mack press conference. They are all IN for 2018-19.
We'll see when the FY 2019 budget comes out how much confidence Tyra & Co have in the return of the donors. That is if we don't hear anything before then...

FSU has been to world series 22 times and runner up 3 times. Over 120 All-Americans it has a great baseball history. Countless players drafted and currently in the pros. The stadium is old, basically the same when I played at Louisville, but it is still a good college baseball stadium.

To say if the administration fault if he chooses to go to a program like FSU or MSU isn't fair. McDonnell bleeds baseball these programs have a lot to offer that Louisville can't mainly a great recruiting foot print.
All that stuff matters if you go back into more ancient history. In today's time frame, U of L doesn't take a back seat to any program. Hell, we've owned the ACC since we joined up.

And it doesn't matter what I think. Who's gonna get the blame if McDonnell or Walz go anywhere?...

Well if McDonnell doesn’t leave then we don’t have to worry about it.

I’m curious though, why wouldn’t Lemonis want to come to UofL?
I was disagreeing with this comment in your post.

“Definitely don’t want Coach Mac to leave but I think UofL could replace him with Chris Lemonis and keep the train rolling.“

Not meant as a knock on Lemonis but, he’s not in DM’s class at this point. Plus, in this scenario he wouldn’t have Roger Williams who has been unbelievable. Actually if DM leaves - they should offer Williams. I agree that Lemonis would leave iu to come here though.

Reactions: zipp
I was disagreeing with this comment in your post.

“Definitely don’t want Coach Mac to leave but I think UofL could replace him with Chris Lemonis and keep the train rolling.“

Not meant as a knock on Lemonis but, he’s not in DM’s class at this point. Plus, in this scenario he wouldn’t have Roger Williams who has been unbelievable. Actually if DM leaves - they should offer Williams. I agree that Lemonis would leave iu to come here though.

I agree Roger Williams has been a huge part of the success and he would be a big loss. However I’m not sure he would be the pick as head coach. He has been a pitching coach forever so that would lead me to believe that is the role he is comfortable with. Lemonis has done a great job at IU as head coach.

I agree Roger Williams has been a huge part of the success and he would be a big loss. However I’m not sure he would be the pick as head coach. He has been a pitching coach forever so that would lead me to believe that is the role he is comfortable with. Lemonis has done a great job at IU as head coach.
I know for a fact that he wants to be a HC at some point but, enjoys his relationship with DM enough to be choosy. Plus - he’s getting paid here commensurately to many other HC jobs.

...Not meant as a knock on Lemonis but, he’s not in DM’s class at this point. Plus, in this scenario he wouldn’t have Roger Williams who has been unbelievable. Actually if DM leaves - they should offer Williams. I agree that Lemonis would leave iu to come here though.
100% agree with this analysis...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT