ADVERTISEMENT

Howie a Jeff Walz question

CardsFirst

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2007
I read a small piece on Walz and it sounded as if he wasn’t as positive about remaining at UofL. How about an interview with CJW about the season and his future? We absolutely do not want to lose Walz.

I read a small piece on Walz and it sounded as if he wasn’t as positive about remaining at UofL. How about an interview with CJW about the season and his future? We absolutely do not want to lose Walz.
i heard it also i think Tenn has offered alot. And Tyra referenced something about working with Walz on restructuring his contract due to some million dollar exemption tax stuff. Not looking good from the tone of all parties

VT may want to get it done but our BOT Grissom in particular could careless. Coming on the heels of Mack probably makes it harder.

And Walz who said he would retire from here was probably once again coach speak. We’ve heard that how many times before? Will see. Might just be angling for a better deal.

VT may want to get it done but our BOT Grissom in particular could careless. Coming on the heels of Mack probably makes it harder.

And Walz who said he would retire from here was probably once again coach speak. We’ve heard that how many times before? Will see. Might just be angling for a better deal.
the bad is having to renegotiate another contract right after paying big bucks Just about any check signor would balk at that. I sure would also. .

Jeff isn't going anywhere. He's playing the contract renegotiation game. Tyra needs to pay him.

Hope you’re right. He does need to be paid

I'll be stunned if he leaves. The Walz's are pretty tight. He's got syblings in OC, his parents are 70miles away, plus, this program is all his. He's got everything he needs here.

Hope you’re right. He does need to be paid

I'll be stunned if he leaves. The Walz's are pretty tight. He's got syblings in OC, his parents are 70miles away, plus, this program is all his. He's got everything he needs here.

I agree but I’m wondering if he’s concerned about the New administration. But he’s always been positive about it.

I wouldn't be worried with the old administration but with the new one I don't have confidence. Anytime we're in a situation like this it is going to be iffy.

Those of us that live here and have, by choice, made this community a permanent part of our lives need to understand that coaches come and go and their being here,in large part, is a contractual obligation. Those that come here under contract and choos to stay, like Denny Crum, are the exception and not the rule. That being said I hope Vince does all he can to keep Coach Walz.

Last edited:
I'd say hit the road if you don't like the big bucks you are already making in your non revenue sport. Adios.

As much as I want to drink the kool aid, I can’t do it for the non revenue sports. And yes, WBB costs more than it makes.

The bunch in charge still have to show how important it is to them.

Reactions: STLNBSE
I hope most of our fans and our current administration aren't as naive as STLNBSE. I would think as big as women's basketball is starting to get nationwide having a good team year in and year out would help your brand. If it improves your brand you should be able to get more advertising money.

I hope most of our fans and our current administration aren't as naive as STLNBSE. I would think as big as women's basketball is starting to get nationwide having a good team year in and year out would help your brand. If it improves your brand you should be able to get more advertising money.

You are the biggest rube here. Women's basketball sucks and no one cares. If we are good at it, great. If we can't keep Walz who is among the highest paid in the country already then that's great too. Name one school that elevated its athletics because of women's hoops.

Hey rube there were over 20,000 at the women's Final Four last night. UConn, Tennessee, Norte Dame, Stanford, Duke and Louisville have all improved their brand because of women's basketball.

Reactions: mwdcard
As much as I want to drink the kool aid, I can’t do it for the non revenue sports. And yes, WBB costs more than it makes.

The bunch in charge still have to show how important it is to them.

Well that non revenue sport is title lX, so I guess we only support revenue sport because there men’s sports? Have you been to a game? How about regularly the fan base is growing. I’ve got to tell you after all the crap going on in men’s BB I actually enjoy the non drama of the women’s game.

This is a university not a AAU league which means it involves other sports. Of course the SuCk fans have your philosophy. Only care about men’s BB. A one trick pony.

I’m proud of all the sports and how successful they are.

CardFirst, I was just getting ready to say the same thing we don't want to be like sUcK and be a one sport school.

I love women. Hate women's basketball. A simple and honest take. I actually find softball and volleyball far more entertaining but no one is pining to pay those coaches big bucks.

You are the biggest rube here. Women's basketball sucks and no one cares. If we are good at it, great. If we can't keep Walz who is among the highest paid in the country already then that's great too. Name one school that elevated its athletics because of women's hoops.

When we’re you born 1930? Your saying women’s basketball sucks tells me your love of sports is pretty narrow. It doesn’t suck and their pretty darn good athletes. And its a more pure game. Every single one of them play for the fun of the game and aren’t worried about going to the NBA. A nice change. Personally I doubt you’ve ever been to a game.

They represent our University and have done a great job doing so. And haven’t embarrassed our University like the men’s program has.

And the fans don’t sit on their hand like the men’s fans do. I attend men’s and women’s BB and Football regularly and some soccer and baseball I enjoy all of them.

I want us to be the best in all sports and we’re doing very well with that. No thanks to people like you.

I started playing organized football and baseball when I was 6 years old and played until I was 22. There is no way volleyball or softball is more exciting than women's basketball. With all the comments you make about our program you're obviously just a troll. Undoubtedly a sUcK troll so it makes since that you don't like anything outside of men's basketball. That is the only thing your school is good in you sUcK in everything most years.

I started playing organized football and baseball when I was 6 years old and played until I was 22. There is no way volleyball or softball is more exciting than women's basketball. With all the comments you make about our program you're obviously just a troll. Undoubtedly a sUcK troll so it makes since that you don't like anything outside of men's basketball. That is the only thing your school is good in you sUcK in everything most years.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Their one sport pony.

I love women. Hate women's basketball. A simple and honest take. I actually find softball and volleyball far more entertaining but no one is pining to pay those coaches big bucks.

Hierarchy of college athletics: football, basketball, tie between baseball and women's bball, then everything else.

Bunch of DAs glorifying their love of sports that don't matter and trying to force that opinion on others. Cool. I like football first, baseball second and men's basketball third. Thanks though for telling me what I should like and who I probably support.

Bunch of DAs glorifying their love of sports that don't matter and trying to force that opinion on others. Cool. I like football first, baseball second and men's basketball third. Thanks though for telling me what I should like and who I probably support.

No one asked for your opinion on this thread. You came on here of your own free will disrespecting the women BB team.

The question was directed to Howie about what was said by Walz not whether you liked WBB. Who tried to force WBB on you? Did someone drag you to a game? If you don’t like it fine but why open the thread? Sounds odd to me. Personally I really don’t care about your opinion as close minded as it is.

I simply stated my opinion that Walz should take what we pay him and be happy with it. For that I was attacked. Funny how some love message boards but can't tolerate opposing views.

Well that non revenue sport is title lX, so I guess we only support revenue sport because there men’s sports? Have you been to a game? How about regularly the fan base is growing. I’ve got to tell you after all the crap going on in men’s BB I actually enjoy the non drama of the women’s game.

This is a university not a AAU league which means it involves other sports. Of course the SuCk fans have your philosophy. Only care about men’s BB. A one trick pony.

It doesn’t matter what “WE” support or care about.

I gotta see this bunch pay to keep a coach in a non rev sport.

And all Title9 says is you gotta have it. Nothing says you have to spend the money to make it good. And we don’t know if they will.

It's funny how negative you always are about the good in our program. Then you always spin the bad things as being justifiable.

I simply stated my opinion that Walz should take what we pay him and be happy with it. For that I was attacked. Funny how some love message boards but can't tolerate opposing views.

Do you feel the same way about baseball because Dan McDonnell contract is coming up soon? Because personally I can take or leave it. But I want them to do what they have to in order to retain CDM. Point being all are athletes represent our university and at the least deserve our respect and the best coaches available.

Asia Durr one of our guards stated one reasons they wanted to win the NC was because the team understood what the fans and city have been through over the last few years. And knew that would lift the University and fans. That’s the caliber of our WBB players.

Last edited:

It was the women’s BB sucks comment that triggered the response. That was uncalled for.

Since you asked, I have a similar opinion on McDonald. He's a good coach who is very well-compensated already. Should he choose somewhere else there's a limit to how far we should go to retain non revenue sport coaches. We are already paying them plenty.

Tyra's got a long road ahead of him, boys and girls. All of these U of L coaches are among the best in their respective sports with salaries to match. And you're working with vanishing donors and Grissom who devalues athletics.

To just maintain the status quo, Tyra's gonna have to be BETTER than Jurich. I feel really bad for him...

It doesn’t matter what “WE” support or care about.

I gotta see this bunch pay to keep a coach in a non rev sport.

And all Title9 says is you gotta have it. Nothing says you have to spend the money to make it good. And we don’t know if they will.

Using your thought process we should have never spent a dime on FB. Because when I attended UofL it was a money pit.

You know the saying you have to spend money to make money? Well that’s what we did in FB and that’s what’s happening in WBB. It’s growing every year and it won’t hurt to get the extra revenue. The tickets to the final four were $259.00 last Sunday by Monday they were $400.00 for the two sessions. The point is WBB is growing and we’re in a great spot due to CJW and what he’s built and building. We’ve had two #1 recruiting classes and we’ve got top notch players. We’re in a great spot.

My point is it can become a revenue sport given time as long as we have the right coach. Build it just like the FB program. Except in this case all the facilities are in place. So all we have to invest in is the coach.

If you had asked what I thought of women’s BB 5 years ago I would have said I wasn’t interested. But after attending some games with my daughter I’ve grown to like it. I like men’s and women’s for what they are and the differences. I attend both regularly.

I guess I see the value now.

Last edited:
Since you asked, I have a similar opinion on McDonald. He's a good coach who is very well-compensated already. Should he choose somewhere else there's a limit to how far we should go to retain non revenue sport coaches. We are already paying them plenty.

You can say the same about revenue sports. That’s what I think academia thinks. Where does it stop? I’m not sure CJW wants an increase UCONNs coach salary is 2.01 mil. CJW is 1.2 not a huge difference. He may want a longer contract or other perks, or dollars for the program. I’m pretty sure we can meet his requirements.

CDM I’m not sure we retain him if Mississippi ST comes knocking. I’m not sure will meet their offer. And this is where the board will gut our athletics program. To be the best you have to have the best. It’s just that simple. Their Turing us in to SuCk which mediocrity in all sport other than BB. Which is not what I want to see. It’s typical backwoods KY thinking.

I won't disagree with most of your thinking, but I also think you draw a line in the sand. Keeping Walz is hardly a top priority regardless who is running athletics. I'd make him a great offer and tell him to threaten UConn every once in a while if he wants Gino money.

ADVERTISEMENT