ADVERTISEMENT

How will CJB attack the yuts?

By now it should be evident that Jeff adjusts to what the defense gives our offense. The TE worked so well because Miami focused on stopping the running game, and not allowing our wide receivers to beat them deep.

UK coaches will be staying up at night this week trying to figure out how they can defend the full width of the field, without giving up the long runs from the line of scrimmage, and the deep ball ……. Conversely, Ron English will be focusing on how to beat UK’s OL pocket protection.

Agree with 233...Jeff has shown each defense brings it's own need for wrinkles and Miami's defense statistically was one that is really aggressive at getting to the QB and plays hard bump-and-run underneath. Solution offered was play action off misdirection and running shallow crossing routes or bringing the TEs across the formation and there were consistent winners for 60 minutes. You get the sense that the season long weakness of TE became a weapon Saturday, especially as it applies to Gatewood. UK is going to have to account for that because Gatewood can really hurt you downfield.

One thing I think we'll see more of Saturday will be there is no limit to the number of gadget plays we will run; he's been remarkably conservative since ND and I think that is a nod to the health of Jordan in particular and Thrash to a lesser extent. Job One for Kentucky will be getting Louisville into situations where Plummer has to beat them; they will very actively run blitz though with the presence of Walker in the middle they can blitz a little more over B and C gaps than most of our previous games. Why blitz over a gap where a double team is likely taking place as Walker's talent practically mandates. Walker primarily shades the gaps that Michael Gonzalez mans, splitting the A gap with Hudson. Those are without a doubt our two best offensive linemen and a month ago were seen as all-ACC 1st teamers; I've seen nothing since to suggest they aren't now. Gonzalez in particular has been a standout to me. Notre Dame and Miami got nothing through them.

Defensively the goal is probably not that much different for English; running yardage has to be minimized. Davis and his Dad weren't the only one shocked at his lack of touches against USC, I couldn't believe it. Davis is a quality RB and they have to give him the ball 20+ times to maximize his talent; we have to give them reason not to. We also have to be merciless on Leary; even as good as Miami's Muigoa is as a RT, Reiger beat him like a dog twice. I'd look for a much bigger day for Gillotte.

I think the Miami game plan with a bit more ground game.
I expect much more UofL pressure on Saturday than we have seen on balance this year. Leary does not look like he can/will/is able to run very much. He only has 36 carries for -32 yards on the year.

Plummer by contrast, who is certainly not a running QB, has nearly twice the carries at 67 for 41 yards.

The Cats will try to stop the run , but outside of #0 I’m not sure the d-line is as good as the past few years.
They were having trouble protecting Leery against USC lite.
I think we should win this game big, but it’s a rivalry.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
As long as Louisville minimizes Davis's runs the Cards win.....he's a tough runner...

Reactions: Deeva
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT