ADVERTISEMENT

How many redshirts this year?

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
There's a whole lot of guys that could get one: Nickelberry, Igehorn, Slazinski, Withers.

Does coach give them all a RS?

Beginning this season, athletes can play up to four games without losing a year of eligibility, a boon to incoming freshmen or those who get hurt during the season.

Reactions: gocds
College basketball is different with redshirts. Guys like Nickleberry and Irish Hulk came in thinking they’d make an impact early and be pro after 2-3 years. A guy like Ryan McMahon knew he needed a redshirt year and loved the chance to be in our program for 5 years.

They aren’t wanting a redshirt as they don’t think they’ll play five years of college basketball and they don’t want to think that way with a redshirt.

College football players? They’re in college a max of 3 years at the least. The NFL will pick you even if you’re a 5th year guy. Getting bigger and stronger helps your stock. The NBA doesn’t think that way.

Yeah, redshirting is pretty much an artifact in men's basketball. Very few players want more than four calendar years to use their eligibility...

FB can play in 33% of the regular season games (30% if you go bowling), and BB players only get 13% (4 on a 30 game schedule)? They should get at least nine games.

That has lawsuit written all over it.

FB can play in 33% of the regular season games (30% if you go bowling), and BB players only get 13% (4 on a 30 game schedule)? They should get at least nine games.

That has lawsuit written all over it.
That not true. I think you are confusing it with being able to get a medical redshirt. read the article I attached . Here is a small blurb

In basketball, if Gillis and/or Newman play one second of a regular-season game, they would lose their redshirt opportunity for this year. The duo plans to redshirt this season, giving them four years of eligibility starting with the 2020-21 season.

That not true. I think you are confusing it with being able to get a medical redshirt. read the article I attached . Here is a small blurb

In basketball, if Gillis and/or Newman play one second of a regular-season game, they would lose their redshirt opportunity for this year. The duo plans to redshirt this season, giving them four years of eligibility starting with the 2020-21 season.
FB players can play four games, as much as 240 minutes, and claim a redshirt season.

A BB player plays ONE second and his/her RS is burned?

How is that “fair”?

FB players can play four games, as much as 240 minutes, and claim a redshirt season.

A BB player plays ONE second and his/her RS is burned?

How is that “fair”?
I thought b-ball players could play in a small percentage of games and still be eligible for a redshirt. Especially if an injury is involved.

Again, men's basketball players don't need five years to play four anymore. They've got their degrees in four years, and they're as good as they're gonna get in four years as far as pro potential. That's why there's no "fairness" issue--none of them care about that fifth year...

Reactions: LexMax
Again, men's basketball players don't need five years to play four anymore. They've got their degrees in four years, and they're as good as they're gonna get in four years as far as pro potential. That's why there's no "fairness" issue--none of them care about that fifth year...
Well except the Ryan McMahon’s.

I thought b-ball players could play in a small percentage of games and still be eligible for a redshirt. Especially if an injury is involved.
They can play a few games and if they get hurt they can get a medical redshirt but if they play any games at all without an injury the don't get one.

Well except the Ryan McMahon’s.
McMahon is an exception in P5 basketball. He wants to play college ball and has no pro potential. I'm not sure you change an all encompassing rule so that McMahon can get more eligibility.

Transfers like Sutton and Enoch are better examples. Of course, we're headed toward a one-time transfer rule. Neither of those guys would have sat out most of a full year and played only a few games during their first year after transferring. They would have played a full year immediately and left college after no more than four years.

A redshirt year is irrelevant for a player talented enough to play early in his career. And a kid who's not good enough to play early is not that relevant to the college game and would probably wanna move on with his life after four years anyway...

Funny this is a class that may need 3 years to develop. There is no 4 year development plan anymore. Junior day will be the new thing.

McMahon is an exception in P5 basketball. He wants to play college ball and has no pro potential. I'm not sure you change an all encompassing rule so that McMahon can get more eligibility.

Transfers like Sutton and Enoch are better examples. Of course, we're headed toward a one-time transfer rule. Neither of those guys would have sat out most of a full year and played only a few games during their first year after transferring. They would have played a full year immediately and left college after no more than four years.

A redshirt year is irrelevant for a player talented enough to play early in his career. And a kid who's not good enough to play early is not that relevant to the college game and would probably wanna move on with his life after four years anyway...
Well I agree. The 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility was never meant to give kids more opportunity to reach a professional opportunity. It was designed for kids who find out they made the wrong choice or things just didn’t work out for them because they weren’t offer an opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT