ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl

They sure had a common goal of screwing over UofL in favor of nc state and elevating the yuts to a better bowl game than they deserve.

Dicks…
I'm not sure at that point if we had a choice. The Holiday Bowl was considered the next tier choice for the ACC after the Orange Bowl. Not sure how U of L thought they would look if they turned that down, especially for all the other reasons I cited. Good weather, new bowl location, ties to Clarkson and possibly other California recruits and most importantly, a probable win.

PS - I don't think the committee did the kitties any favors. Yes, they're not going to the Music City Bowl but they maybe facing the best ACC team at this point in the season, Clemson. I wish both would lose but would still definitely pull for old Dabo over Porky..

Couple of things. First it's a prime time game on national TV. Second it's one of two games on that night, so a lot the eyes will be on this game. Third, regardless of record, USC is a huge draw. Yeah the distance sucks, but the bowl itself is not a bad draw.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
Well I read an article today that said the ACC Conference officials scrambled to get different teams placed in different Bowls from the ones they should have gone to.

The conference had 11 bowl eligible teams, I believe that’s 2 more than the ACC is tied to. The mighty SEC didn’t have enough bowl eligible teams to fill out their bowls, and people laugh when they hear the SEC had a losing record OOC against P5 teams.

But how sweet would it be to beat ND and USC in the same season?

Told by whom?
I don’t think our boy Josh makes any of his department’s big decisions. There’s an athletics Board, the University’s, and a mystery Prez from Towson Freaking State.

Not to mention, his department is being subsidized continuously by the University. He who provides the money gets to make the decisions…

Leadership, or more specifically the absence of it explains much of the consequences that we are experiencing. Clearly the same flaws that UL has witnessed within this University is evident within the ACC as well.

As Koz pointed out, the ACC was il-prepared for what many expected, well before the formal announcement that FSU dropped out of the top 4 spot.

Any competent Administrator would have already established the contingency strategy for the various scenarios before the 3PM timeframe.

U are playing in San Diego against US freaking C. And against last years heisman trophy winner. Plus with Pierce Clarkson on the team we need to show out good for west coast recruiting
Facts. If we can beat USC that will be two formal “traditional “ powerhouses we would have beaten in the same season. Even though UND and USC are not what they were they are still big names in college football.Any time we play on the West Coast it helps with recruiting and the transfer portal. FSU got screwed not us, they are the same university that was talking about leaving a few months ago, so I don’t give crap what happens to them.Man on the old college football game I would schedule teams like USC, Oregon, Stanford, and OSU. To see us play them for real is a dream come true for me.

The conference had 11 bowl eligible teams, I believe that’s 2 more than the ACC is tied to. The mighty SEC didn’t have enough bowl eligible teams to fill out their bowls, and people laugh when they hear the SEC had a losing record OOC against P5 teams.

But how sweet would it be to beat ND and USC in the same season?
Blasphemous!!!! Everyone know the $EC teams didn’t lose a single game to anyone this year while the ACC teams were all extremely lucky to win the two or three games they managed to eke out this season!!! Sheesh!!!

I don’t think our boy Josh makes any of his department’s big decisions. There’s an athletics Board, the University’s, and a mystery Prez from Towson Freaking State.

Not to mention, his department is being subsidized continuously by the University. He who provides the money gets to make the decisions…
Would you not want him to consult the athletics board on big items? You are right, “he who pays the piper calls the tune”. However, remember that all the athletics grants in aid go into tuition (much of it the lucrative out-of-state variety) which goes straight to the university treasury.

Would you not want him to consult the athletics board on big items? You are right, “he who pays the piper calls the tune”. However, remember that all the athletics grants in aid go into tuition (much of it the lucrative out-of-state variety) which goes straight to the university treasury.
Regardless of that answer, I was simply responding to @CardX on his remark about Josh Heird.

I think most people in this space are now holding him accountable for Payne. Not so much hiring him but keeping him employed. Whether that’s fair or not…

Josh Heird is responsible if Louisville retains KP after this season he is the AD and that is his job. If he is taking orders from someone else what good is he, if that is the case get rid of Heird and save the money he is getting paid.

Regardless of that answer, I was simply responding to @CardX on his remark about Josh Heird.

I think most people in this space are now holding him accountable for Payne. Not so much hiring him but keeping him employed. Whether that’s fair or not…
This is not Tom Jurich's world. Josh does not nor should he have exclusive power to make a decision on his own. This is not a dictatorship (thank goodness). its what eventually took down Jurich. Universities are not autonomous.

In any operation, the person/people most qualified to make a decision should make it. There's no hard and fast rule for how that's done. I've seen relatively junior people make big decisions, and more senior people who couldn't do it effectively.

Tom Jurich earned his street cred time and again. For every K-rag, there were three Walz, McDonnell, and Busboom-Kellys. You gotta either recognize that ability to hire the right people and rely on it. or put someone to the test and see how he/she performs.

Is Heird in that latter category yet, I don't know. If he's making decisions like hiring Brohm and Payne--which I doubt seriously--he's getting the chance. I wouldn't rely on the University Prez to help with that; I also think most Board members without an athletics background offer little help. And I'm not a big fan of search committees.

It's clearer to me who's responsible for INACTION in this situation. In athletics, the buck stops with the AD. If you're not willing to hold him fully accountable, it's the University Prez, Kim $hitshow (sp?),,,

In any operation, the person/people most qualified to make a decision should make it. There's no hard and fast rule for how that's done. I've seen relatively junior people make big decisions, and more senior people who couldn't do it effectively.

Tom Jurich earned his street cred time and again. For every K-rag, there were three Walz, McDonnell, and Busboom-Kellys. You gotta either recognize that ability to hire the right people and rely on it. or put someone to the test and see how he/she performs.

Is Heird in that latter category yet, I don't know. If he's making decisions like hiring Brohm and Payne--which I doubt seriously--he's getting the chance. I wouldn't rely on the University Prez to help with that; I also think most Board members without an athletics background offer little help. And I'm not a big fan of search committees.

It's clearer to me who's responsible for INACTION in this situation. In athletics, the buck stops with the AD. If you're not willing to hold him fully accountable, it's the University Prez, Kim $hitshow (sp?),,,
If Hierd isn’t making the calls on hiring, why do think he’s in charge of firing?

Those who believe Josh is making any decision about KP, or the who the next HC at UL will be, are in for a big disappointment.

2330859 has me blocked but I wonder if the same people he’s talking about also made the Brohm hire?
I mean for such a strong statement on Heird - it’s short on specifics. If Heird didn’t hire Payne - who exactly did? I mean there’s been all sorts of innuendo about the amount of outside influence was exerted by bridgeman, beard, etc but, is the assertion now that they hired Payne? And that it will be them who fires Payne and selects the next coach?

That should be utter nonsense and if it’s not - there are problems far bigger than any of us could have imagined.

I have no problem with anyone laying Payne’s hiring and firing at Heird’s feet. But like @2330859, I don’t think he had much say in the decision. He was too green in the job, and the men’s basketball coach here is a big hire. (At least it used to be…)

Heird’s signing his check. The Prez, Board members, U of L ‘movers and shakers’ all participated. And now they all have skin in the game re. his outcome.

For all we know, Heird might have been in favor of hiring Wright or at least talking to Wright to see if he could offer any insight. The Board or Bridgeman clearly had Payne in mind for the hire. Again, this is not Jurich's world where he can do what he pleased. Josh was out voted and went with the majority vote, plus we don't know what was actually on the table at the time the decision was made to hire Payne. All we know or think we know is that the decision was the wrong decision.

The same ones who selected Kenny.
I never hear a name. It’s sort of like “the deep state”. It’s always unnamed people. Is it Spectre? The trilateral commission? Who is that? Who, exactly, hired KP and who is going to pull the chain? Who will hire the next coach?

Reactions: BPGhost
I never hear a name. It’s sort of like “the deep state”. It’s always unnamed people. Is it Spectre? The trilateral commission? Who is that? Who, exactly, hired KP and who is going to pull the chain? Who will hire the next coach?
Can’t he Spectre - they’re way more efficient. Ruthlessly efficient.

Payne would have already dropped down a trap door to a group of hungry alligators if they were in charge.

Reactions: Cardsfan62
Anyway this game like most bowl games is diminished. USC name on jerseys only. Key opt outs for them.

But I will enjoy watching hope the Cards play well.

I don’t think anyone wants to take responsibility for the failure of the hire. Everyone wants to pass the buck like it’s a hot potato

The Illuminati.

Anyway this game like most bowl games is diminished. USC name on jerseys only. Key opt outs for them.

Theyre definitely diminished not only do the some of the better players not play, but there’s 43 freaking bowl games now

Does anybody go back and say who didn't play when we beat Alabama and Florida in bowl games? I think not.
Players didn't opt out of those games. Your point has nothing to do with what I posted.

And people do mention Alabama was a weak team by their standard that year if they are being honest, on the rare occasion anyone looks back, which people don't do much of.

Theyre definitely diminished not only do the some of the better players not play, but there’s 43 freaking bowl games now
That's too many agree. The other issues are as already mentioned the opt outs, but also the fact that everything revolves around the playoff now. If you aren't in, it's just meh.

Players didn't opt out of those games. Your point has nothing to do with what I posted.

And people do mention Alabama was a weak team by their standard that year if they are being honest, on the rare occasion anyone looks back, which people don't do much of.
Didn’t they win a NC the next year with most of the same players?

The average smuck watching the game on national TV will just see us beating a "name brand" and that
helps us tremendously on the national scene. 😀 Better then getting pounded by an angry Georgia in
the Orange Bowl. We dodged the bullet.

Didn’t they win a NC the next year with most of the same players?
No. They were really good the next year.

But that doesn't really matter, because that's not the team we beat. We beat the team with a final 7-5 record. And that really has nothing to do with the opt out situation that is prevalent now, so it doesn't matter either really.

It's not UofL's fault USC key players are opting out, but they are. So that diminishes the game. No reason to argue something that is pretty obvious. Many bowls are diminished because in part due to opt outs, and ours is one of them.

The average smuck watching the game on national TV will just see us beating a "name brand" and that
helps us tremendously on the national scene. 😀 Better then getting pounded by an angry Georgia in
the Orange Bowl. We dodged the bullet.
I'm unsure it would help tremendously, and ya gotta win too. But sure I hope it works out that way.

It could help even more if they were putting the beatdown on their popular QB.

I'm pretty sure even the average fan would see USC has key guys out, and you can be sure the announcer will remind the audience of that throughout. They'll probably even do interviews with the former QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT