ADVERTISEMENT

High Risk, High Reward?

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
I see the pushing out of Grantham and hiring of Sirmon as Petrino recognizing our limitations and making a bigger swing for the fences. The fact is that we have no idea if Sirmon is a capable d coordinator or not. The body of work just isn't there. However we do know he is highly regarded and is a proven recruiter. When you look at where Clemson and Florida State are recruiting, it really becomes untenable for us to just hang out in the 25-30 range in recruiting. He potentially gives us the push to get into the top 15-20 range which is where we need to be to compete. We simply don't have the depth otherwise.

I think the mix of Grantham and Petrino was just not sustainable because of their personalities. It is very tough to progress when you have 2 generally unlikable and cantankerous coaches leading the team. I think Petrino realizes he needs a younger, more positive coach to lift guys up. This season is a perfect example of where they could have used someone to rally them when things went sideways.

One last thing, I think Grantham is a very good defensive coordinator, but I do think his defense is too complex. There were simply too many times where we were out of position because the calls came in too late or their was confusion about alignment and assignment. We had way too many seniors out there for that to be the case. Also, he struggled against teams that ran a tempo offense (see Houston). Next year we will have a lot of younger guys playing and I think running a more simple system will be very beneficial. I really feel like Grantham belongs in the NFL with his system.

I wish Grantham the best at MSU, but I think Petrino is looking more into recruiting advantages more than X and O's. This change will show to be huge over the next few seasons, even though we have been recruiting well, it is going to really improve.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I see the pushing out of Grantham and hiring of Sirmon as Petrino recognizing our limitations and making a bigger swing for the fences. The fact is that we have no idea if Sirmon is a capable d coordinator or not. The body of work just isn't there. However we do know he is highly regarded and is a proven recruiter. When you look at where Clemson and Florida State are recruiting, it really becomes untenable for us to just hang out in the 25-30 range in recruiting. He potentially gives us the push to get into the top 15-20 range which is where we need to be to compete. We simply don't have the depth otherwise.

I think the mix of Grantham and Petrino was just not sustainable because of their personalities. It is very tough to progress when you have 2 generally unlikable and cantankerous coaches leading the team. I think Petrino realizes he needs a younger, more positive coach to lift guys up. This season is a perfect example of where they could have used someone to rally them when things went sideways.

One last thing, I think Grantham is a very good defensive coordinator, but I do think his defense is too complex. There were simply too many times where we were out of position because the calls came in too late or their was confusion about alignment and assignment. We had way too many seniors out there for that to be the case. Also, he struggled against teams that ran a tempo offense (see Houston). Next year we will have a lot of younger guys playing and I think running a more simple system will be very beneficial. I really feel like Grantham belongs in the NFL with his system.
I completely agree and, said the same about the complexity of his defense being more suited to the NFL where they are not constricted by the limited amount of hours per week they can practice about 2 months ago.

I'm curious though - I've not seen any sort of information indicating Sirmon being some dynamite recruiter or, having any established connections in the part of the country that we need - the south. What have you seen that leads you to believe he is that guy?

I dont think grantham understands his system. Too many occasions this season where players were looking at the sideline out of position and lost. Rewatch the ke tucky game and the first 3 touchdowns they scored. Our defense was in chaos.

Grantham had to go..... Should have listenend to georgia fans that warned us he was clueless and stealing money.

Ward is a secondary guru and Sirmon is a front seven guru.

Our defense will be monumentally better next season. Now we can turn our sights to the offense and making the necessasary changes as well.

I am personally glad we made a statement that mediocre football is unacceptable here.

Reactions: CardsFirst
I was concerned about Sirmon, too, until I remembered how Petrino got rid of Gilhammer back in 2003.

Everybody wondered why we hired Cassity after he seemed to have struggled in his last couple of seasons at Illinois. But our defense from 2004-2006 was very good. Whatever Petrino and Cassity did behind the scenes worked. (Oh, and we had a hell of a D line coach at that time.) Looks like this might be a similar setup with Ward and Sirmon. If those 2 work well with Bobby, we could see some great things on the horizon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT