ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coaching Candidates

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
If Tyra has the balls to do the right thing?

I’ll start:

Brohm?
Bill O’Brien?
PJ Fleck?
Venables?
A good SEC D or O coordinator?

I’m interested in hearing suggestions?

Brohm is the only one that would consider us and he’s turned us down once

I’ll start:

Brohm?
Bill O’Brien?
PJ Fleck?
Venables?

Venables - no way. He might go to Oklahoma. Otherwise he can make $2M/yr as DC

Fleck - can’t see him leaving his current spot for UofL

Bill O’Brien - idk. I think he has his sights set on something bigger than UofL. However they aren’t exactly thrilled with him at Bama

IMO, you obviously make Brohm turn you down. After that I could see the DC Freeman at Notre Dame being on the short list. His rep took a hit this year but I think Tony Elliot would be considered - I think he could be a star and thought we might hire him last go around. As far as head coaches, I think Dan Mullen would get a look and then perhaps an up and comer like Will Healy. All that being said, I can’t see any of those being sure-fire to the point I’d part with Satt except for Brohm who is just such a logical fit and would immediately energize the fan base.

Got to have a job opening first. I would go Brohm, despite my reluctance beforehand. He’d bring unity, excitement, and strong local recruiting ties. He’d lock down Louisville.

We don’t have the money. I can explain it to you all again.

But Brohm is already making $6 million. We’d have to outbid Purdue and give Brohm that money?

Satt’s buyout is $3 million until next December and I think Brohm’s is $3 million. So we’d have to get out $6 million to just make this move.

So we pay $6 million and give like $7-8 million a year to a guy that’s not been amazing. And we’d probably have to give him a crazy contract with a Bobby Petrino like buyout.

With COVID, we lost a lot of revenue. We paid $14 million to Bobby. We paid quite a bit to Tom Jurich. Legal fees and sanctions hurt.

So please tell me how financially feasible it is to do this and then put together an elite staff of power 5 coaches and recruiters?

Or?
Magically Scott will say he wants less money at a lower level and say we don’t have to buy him out. Then, Brohm says he wants a huge pay cut and will give us a favorable deal. And it will benefit and work out perfect for us!

• Haha
Reactions: Morgantown Card
Venables - no way. He might go to Oklahoma. Otherwise he can make $2M/yr as DC

Fleck - can’t see him leaving his current spot for UofL

Bill O’Brien - idk. I think he has his sights set on something bigger than UofL. However they aren’t exactly thrilled with him at Bama

IMO, you obviously make Brohm turn you down. After that I could see the DC Freeman at Notre Dame being on the short list. His rep took a hit this year but I think Tony Elliot would be considered - I think he could be a star and thought we might hire him last go around. As far as head coaches, I think Dan Mullen would get a look and then perhaps an up and comer like Will Healy. All that being said, I can’t see any of those being sure-fire to the point I’d part with Satt except for Brohm who is just such a logical fit and would immediately energize the fan base.
I have no one in my tailgating group that thinks Brohm is a good idea. I didn’t want him before and I certainly don’t want him now. If it’s Brohm or Satt I stick with Satt just because I don’t want to do this again in 3-4 years.

No buyout necessary if Satterfield leaves for Duke.
Yeah. Convenient him going to Duke would work out perfectly for us and he’d just sacrifice all that money to go to a place that has far less resources and no real fan support.

Idc about how it’s close to home, he’s a football coach and he’s not going to just be satisfied at Duke playing in front of empty stadiums weekly for less money.

I have no one in my tailgating group that thinks Brohm is a good idea. I didn’t want him before and I certainly don’t want him now. If it’s Brohm or Satt I stick with Satt just because I don’t want to do this again in 3-4 years.
That’s crazy rationale. If it’s Brohm you may not have to do another coaching change, whereas if it’s Satterfield you’re going to have to make a change in 3 years or less…

But Brohm is already making $6 million. We’d have to outbid Purdue and give Brohm that money?

Satt’s buyout is $3 million until next December and I think Brohm’s is $3 million. So we’d have to get out $6 million to just make this move.

So we pay $6 million and give like $7-8 million a year to a guy that’s not been amazing. And we’d probably have to give him a crazy contract with a Bobby Petrino like buyout.

With COVID, we lost a lot of revenue. We paid $14 million to Bobby. We paid quite a bit to Tom Jurich. Legal fees and sanctions hurt.

So please tell me how financially feasible it is to do this and then put together an elite staff of power 5 coaches and recruiters?

Or?
Magically Scott will say he wants less money at a lower level and say we don’t have to buy him out. Then, Brohm says he wants a huge pay cut and will give us a favorable deal. And it will benefit and work out perfect for us!

Brohm is 27-29 at Purdue after 5 seasons. Paying him north of $3M is insanity. We would be absolutely livid if his record was 27-29 after 5 seasons.

And none of this matters - he isn't leaving Purdue for Louisville. He won't be at Notre Dame, either. Notre Dame fans would turn protestant and eat beef on Lentin Fridays in protest if they hired a 27-29 Purdue coach. No more Oscar Brohm at Kingfeesh!

Brohm is 27-29 at Purdue after 5 seasons. Paying him north of $3M is insanity. We would be absolutely livid if his record was 27-29 after 5 seasons.

And none of this matters - he isn't leaving Purdue for Louisville. He won't be at Notre Dame, either. Notre Dame fans would turn protestant and eat beef on Lentin Fridays in protest if they hired a 27-29 Purdue coach. No more Oscar Brohm at Kingfeesh!
True.

It comes down to if we think Jeff Brohm is a $7 million per year coach and also worth $6 million up front in buyout money for Satt/Brohm. We just learned with Bobby, no no no no no. We can't give a coach like that a deal like that.

As much as I hate it Tyra is going to be forced to make a move.

1) Satterfield lost the fan base.
2)Satterfield is losing his players. Sounds like Watkins is not the only one.

You can’t lose both the fans and players that actually produce. You will be in the coaching market again next year mid year.

Haha! We’re playing 3.25 million for 18-18. What’s Satterfield’s biggest win? What’s Satterfield’s?
So $6 million for 27-29 is better because his last name is popular in this city?

"But he took over a tough job and it was a hard rebuild, it's year 3 and Scott should have us ranked!!! He wins his rivalry game!"
(Ignores the 2-10 2018 season)
(Ignores Brohm went 4-8 in his 3rd season)
(Ignores Brohm went 17-21 in his first 3 years, 19-25 in his first 4)
(Ignores Purdue losses to Eastern Michigan, Nevada, Rutgers under Brohm)
(Ignores he's not beaten an Indiana team that's had a winning record, 2-10 this year)

Interesting that Purdue stayed committed to this rebuild and they look decent in this 8-4 season. Everything you all can say about Satt, Jeff gets the benefit of the doubt. Jeff's Purdue rebuild almost looks exactly like Scott's has here in Louisville, but we just are mad because Tyra was put in by the Bevin Board and State Government to take down UofL athletics or something crazy like that.

Jeff took over a tough rebuild. Scott did too.
Jeff was very average his first 3 years. Scott has been too.
Jeff took on a tough job without recruiting advantages. Scott did too.
Jeff had some frustrating losses. Scott has had some too..
Scott flirted with SC, but Jeff didn't come home in 2018 when he had the chance

I'm not even a big Satt guy, but this is what I expected and honestly Scott is exceeding my expectations a bit. CSS' failure was not going 4-8 in 2019, because had he not raised expectations that year, we'd all see this season as progress of getting back to a bowl game.

Since this is a thread about coaching candidates let me throw some out not named Brohm. I believe these are guys we can afford as well.

Dave Ragone with Will Stein as OC and Clint Hurtt or Vance Bedford as DC. Stein has been killing it as an OC and Hurtt will bring a ton of south Florida swag. Ragone has done well in the NFL and I think players and fans would like him. Plus he has super strong Louisville ties. This would be his first HC gig so there would be growing pains

Coach Prime (Deon Sanders) he has completely turned Jackson State around in 1 season. He can coach. Plus imagine how he could recruit at the power 5 level. We also wouldn’t have to worry about our team not having that swagger. With his connections I’m sure he could put together an awesome staff.

Reactions: gocds and rentalman
Since this is a thread about coaching candidates let me throw some out not named Brohm. I believe these are guys we can afford as well.

Dave Ragone with Will Stein as OC and Clint Hurtt or Vance Bedford as DC. Stein has been killing it as an OC and Hurtt will bring a ton of south Florida swag. Ragone has done well in the NFL and I think players and fans would like him. Plus he has super strong Louisville ties. This would be his first HC gig so there would be growing pains

Coach Prime (Deon Sanders) he has completely turned Jackson State around in 1 season. He can coach. Plus imagine how he could recruit at the power 5 level. We also wouldn’t have to worry about our team not having that swagger. With his connections I’m sure he could put together an awesome staff.
Would be interesting hires if we were still in the Conference USA or AAC

Would be interesting hires if we were still in the Conference USA or AAC
I'm new here coming from 247 so I don't mean to stir the pot on my first reply, but we might as well be in the AAC or C-USA. We (UL) aren't where we were in 2013-2015. We are in the lower middle of the pack in a terrible ACC.

Seriously, with the now skyrocketing prices of top tier college coaches are we willing to pay 6-7 million a year for our next football coach? Would you be ok with paying the football coach more than the basketball coach?

I’ll start:

Brohm?
Bill O’Brien?
PJ Fleck?
Venables?

I have lived in the Houston Area since 2000 and am a Texans Fan. Believe me, we want no part of Bill OBrien, He is as big an Arrogant Asshole that has ever walked the earth.

Reactions: DWalz27
Seriously, with the now skyrocketing prices of top tier college coaches are we willing to pay 6-7 million a year for our next football coach? Would you be ok with paying the football coach more than the basketball coach?
I'm fine with paying a worthy coach that kind of money, but Jeff Brohm just isn't a $7 million guy in my opinion. For Purdue, they want to keep him and know it won't be great so they're fine.

I just don't know really if Brohm would really take us to the level we all assume or even be that much better than Satt's ceiling.

• Haha
Reactions: gocds and Nieman
There is a clip of Brohm while at WKU smashing a chair with a sledgehammer during a pregame speech in the locker room. I can’t remember who they played and beat that day but it was something to see. I wonder what kind of pregame speech JB would give before playing porky’s team. I just don’t see or hear of that kind if motivation from CSS. As I stated before, Scott is an exceptional human, a person anyone would be proud of to have in their family tree. I just have reservations about his ability to recruit and motivate the individuals that Louisville is accustomed to.
I don’t think JB would leave Purdue. But I would like to see him one day coaching the Cards. Maybe down the road when CSS leaves JB might decide to come home.

I'm new here coming from 247 so I don't mean to stir the pot on my first reply, but we might as well be in the AAC or C-USA. We (UL) aren't where we were in 2013-2015. We are in the lower middle of the pack in a terrible ACC.
Welcome. Truth hurts. We have certainly missed many opportunities in the ACC. Let's just hope the ACC FB & BB get their stuff together, that includes UofL. UofL WBB & non-revenue sports have exceled.

Venables? He just took the Oklahoma job I thought? :D
I really don’t understand why people mention his name for every job opening. I know he’s a great DC but he’s on record that he’s happy where he’s at, not to mention that he’s probably the highest paid coordinator in the country. Another thing is that I know he has one son on the team, he may have 2. Maybe after they graduate.

Or?
Brohms buyout is 1 million dollars starting Sunday

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
Brohms buyout is 1 million dollars starting Sunday
Where is that said? I see that nowhere. Here is all I see.

"The extension also amended the salary pool for Brohm’s assistant coaches and support staff to $4,350,000. Brohm’s buyout remains at $3.75 million, though it will decrease to $3.6 million in 2020 and $3.45 million in 2021 due to the paying off an expense reimbursement to terminate his contract at Western Kentucky."

Where is that said? I see that nowhere. Here is all I see.

"The extension also amended the salary pool for Brohm’s assistant coaches and support staff to $4,350,000. Brohm’s buyout remains at $3.75 million, though it will decrease to $3.6 million in 2020 and $3.45 million in 2021 due to the paying off an expense reimbursement to terminate his contract at Western Kentucky."
It came out of a radio guy's mouth this morning. So that makes it gospel.

Speaking of WKU, didn't they pull the brilliant ninja-like move of negotiating Petrino's contract to where they actually made money in access of what they paid him should he leave (which of course he did)?

Jeff Brohm class rankings:
2017: #68 (just took over)
2018 #49
2019 #26
2020 #30
2021 #77

Scott Satterfield class rankings
2019: #86 (year 1, Bobby's class essentially)
2020: #40
2021: #29

Yep. Jeff is gonna be the man to take us over the top with all that great recruiting of all the (non-existent) 5 star talent in Jefferson County. And his high powered staff with great recruiters, no wait, it's a bunch of his own guys running his system and not many from down south.

But yeah, $7 Million for Jeff and his 2 games under .500 record over 5 years and his recruiting that doesn't even look special. But yeah, we're gonna have way more money to spend and we're such an easier place to recruit to where he'll get top 25 classes with our program behind him.

But he was our QB and from here, so he gets a pass!! Let's give him a deal bigger than Bobby and have like a $20 million buyout!

Anyone ever been to Purdue University? Isn’t it out in the middle of a cornfield or something similar? I have seen their stadium on T.V. Looks very 1980 ish. But hey, I believe they finally got lights there a few years back or was that one of the NASCAR tracks?

That’s crazy rationale. If it’s Brohm you may not have to do another coaching change, whereas if it’s Satterfield you’re going to have to make a change in 3 years or less…
I’m not advocating keeping Satt I’m just not sure Brohm is the answer. Although if he worked out that would be great. I see it as a gamble

2018 #49
2019 #26
2020 #30
2021 #77

Yep. Jeff is gonna be the man to take us over the top with all that great recruiting of all the (non-existent) 5 star talent in Jefferson County. And his high powered staff with great recruiters, no wait, it's a bunch of his own guys running his system and not many from down south.

But yeah, $7 Million for Jeff and his 2 games under .500 record over 5 years and his recruiting that doesn't even look special. But yeah, we're gonna have way more money to spend and we're such an easier place to recruit to where he'll get top 25 classes with our program behind him.

But he was our QB and from here, so he gets a pass!! Let's give him a deal bigger than Bobby and have like a $20 million buyout!
I don’t know how to convince you but Jeff has a better offensive mind and he’s a better motivator. I’ve seen enough of CSS games and overall game management to understand that. Throw in all the intangibles being a local guy who understands Louisville football and that’s all anyone should need to know. I’m beginning to think you don’t mind losing to the kitties every year.

Reactions: BPGhost
Anyone ever been to Purdue University? Isn’t it out in the middle of a cornfield or something similar? I have seen their stadium on T.V. Looks very 1980 ish. But hey, I believe they finally got lights there a few years back or was that one of the NASCAR tracks?
I went to a TCU Purdue game 3 years ago. The stadium seemed to be set up in the middle of campus, which was kind of cool. It had the old bleacher type seating so it was a bitch getting in and out of your row to go to concessions and bathrooms. We sat on visitors side. Yeah I would say the stadium seemed old.

Reactions: luv2hit63
2018 #49
2019 #26
2020 #30
2021 #77

Now compare top 5 wins between coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT