ADVERTISEMENT

Gottfried reportedly out at NC State

the only coach I can think of that recruits better and produces less than Gottfried is Johnny Jones at LSU.

Another ex-SEC coach who committed career suicide trying to move up to the ACC.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Reactions: gocds
Another ex-SEC coach who committed career suicide trying to move up to the ACC.

WTH zipp I'd get my ass out of the piss poor $ec too if I had the chance. Plus he got his HC start at little ole Murray State back in the day. Maybe he should still be there.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Gottfried has a career win record of 400-229 (63%). That's not too bad. His record in the ACC is 122-78 (62%). It's is difficult to compete in Raleigh with Coach K and Old Roy. I never really cared for him but he's been successful.

Gottfried has a career win record of 400-229 (63%). That's not too bad. His record in the ACC is 122-78 (62%). It's is difficult to compete in Raleigh with Coach K and Old Roy. I never really cared for him but he's been successful.

The problem is that he's getting 5* and 4* players year in and year out. Thus the pressure is put on him to produce and be at the top of the ACC.

The problem for guys like Gottfried and Stallings has been two-fold... In addition to the competition, they're now in a conference where winning basketball games actually matters. It's not an intramural sport played between football and baseball/Spring football.

I'm somewhat serious that if you're not a really good coach and you have the choice, you should stay in a conference like the SEC. I think it's why a smart guy like Bruce Pearl went back. Job security.

And maybe why Pitino Lite stays longer. He's in a coaching league that he can compete in.

He's not a bad coach, but he was in over his head at NC State. He was going up against 2 HOF coaches in his own back yard. I'm surprised he lasted this long.

Reactions: gocards827
Lorenzo Romar. Was thinking the same thing.
West Coast basketball is terrible all the way around. Firing Romar would be the worst that Washingotn can do since they've never been relevant anyway. At least they get to see one or two decent players every year. That's their ceiling anyway.

I've been saying for a long time Gottfried is a terrible coach and the only way he was keeping his job was by his recruiting ties. He regularly stole recruits from us and has done ZIP with them.

Agreed. Tough gig. Still trying to figure out why Maverick Rowan went there but oh well.

Maybe Maverick Rowan is wondering why he went there. At least if he has a brain in his head he is wondering why he went there instead of the University of Louisville.

Reactions: zipp
Maybe Maverick Rowan is wondering why he went there. At least if he has a brain in his head he is wondering why he went there instead of the University of Louisville.

Because nc state was somewhere he could get on the floor as a freshman (and sophomore) even though his defense sucks.

I'd go after Mark Few @ Gonzaga. He'll have to get a new assistant with ties to the east coast, but he has the resume.

They've struggled the past couple weeks but it wouldn't surprise me to see Kevin Keatts get a look, he's done well at UNCW.

I'd go after Mark Few @ Gonzaga. He'll have to get a new assistant with ties to the east coast, but he has the resume.

Agree, but if Mark Few is smart he'll stay where he is. Make a ton of bank and have a long career winning games at Gonzaga. I don't know anything about recruiting at Gonzaga, but he may not do as well at NCST recruiting against Duke and UNC.

He had his chance. I don't follow recruiting closely at all, but I remember seeing several weeks of "Rowan's father says Maverick to decide on Monday" and that just going on and on. Dude seemed to like seeing his name in print. Maybe BPGhost is right, he's all for #1 and wants to score and who cares if the team wins or loses. Extrapolate that type of thinking to the entire talented NCST roster and it's easy to explain their lack of results.

My prediction is Archie Miller from Dayton will be the new NCST Coach.
I'd prefer this route myself.These young guys at less-than-p5 programs can coach.They're not proven recruiters,but so what.I'll take the guy that can do the most with what he's got.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT